• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Richie Edwards

Started by covufan, November 19, 2011, 09:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Via Paul Oren and NWI.com:

The Crusaders entered the game down a player as JUCO transfer Richie Edwards was ruled ineligible for three games earlier in the day due to a NCAA Clearinghouse issue. Drew said after the game that the issue has been resolved and Edwards will return for next Friday's non-conference tilt at Ohio State.

Read more: http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/short-handed-crusaders-win-despite-no--pointers/article_3de81c7a-5944-5d0d-a9c1-a08da38817dc.html#ixzz1eAMdiCFx

vuweathernerd

lovely... we'll need all the help we can get in columbus. maybe kevin can bloody up and beat down sullinger.

valpotx

If this truly was not something that Richie did, but our compliance officer just had slip her mind in getting him cleared, that is not good!  I have obviously worked with her when I was playing, and she always seemed on top of things though.
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

But if Richie didn't tell her, the compliance officer, about the issue with playing for a certain team that was a pro team than how was she to know to warn him about it. Sometimes these are penalties handed down by the NCAA when they learn about a situation Richie Edwards was in...i.e. playing with a pro team. There is nothing Richie can do about it after the fact. He would have avoided it at the time if he had known it was going to make him lose 3 games but how was Richie to know what the ruling of the NCAA clearinghouse was going to be ahead of time?

johnestuff

Quote from: bbtds on November 19, 2011, 12:21:53 PM
But if Richie didn't tell her, the compliance officer, about the issue with playing for a certain team that was a pro team than how was she to know to warn him about it. Sometimes these are penalties handed down by the NCAA when they learn about a situation Richie Edwards was in...i.e. playing with a pro team. There is nothing Richie can do about it after the fact. He would have avoided it at the time if he had known it was going to make him lose 3 games but how was Richie to know what the ruling of the NCAA clearinghouse was going to be ahead of time?

Good comment if relevant, but in this case, Richie never played for a team that might have been questionable, pro or otherwise.

bbtds

Quote from: johnestuff on November 19, 2011, 12:31:29 PM

Good comment if relevant, but in this case, Richie never played for a team that might have been questionable, pro or otherwise.

And what info do you have about the Edwards situation that you are not sharing yet?

johnestuff

Paul Oren had the information correct. There was a form that had never been submitted, hence, not cleared. As soon as compliance knew, the situation was corrected, the punishment dealt, and after 3 games, the number that he had played, he is good to go. Simply an oversight.

ARCInsider

Richie ended up playing a total of 20 minutes since Christmas.  I wonder if he is happy with the decision to transfer (ASU is quite an experience), or if he has his regrets.  He could have been a huge difference maker for Valpo this year.

valpotx

You have to wonder if he even gets an opportunity to play overseas now, though I am sure that he will at a minimum be able to play in Oceania.  He would have been better served to stay at a smaller school and PLAY, to get better offers overseas. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

chef

Quote from: ARCInsider on March 16, 2014, 01:38:03 PMRichie ended up playing a total of 20 minutes since Christmas.  I wonder if he is happy with the decision to transfer (ASU is quite an experience), or if he has his regrets.  He could have been a huge difference maker for Valpo this year.
I'm pretty sure if Richie would have stayed at Valpo he would have finished his eligibility last year. Thus, he would not have been a difference maker for Valpo this year.

usc4valpo

ASU and Valpo are polar opposites of the American college experience.  Tempe is a great town - I am not sure I could concentrate of studies with all the scenery and activities out there.

oklahomamick

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 16, 2014, 05:03:32 PM
ASU and Valpo are polar opposites of the American college experience.  Tempe is a great town - I am not sure I could concentrate of studies with all the scenery and activities out there.

I'm not sure anyone at ASU concentrates on studies either.
CRUSADERS!!!

Smj

Sad for him because his transfer probably hurt his future - if he wants to play professionally.

This is where I am not sure I agree with some of the transfer rules.    I would be very surprised if he would have transferred if he realized he was going to ride the pine.  Coach probably promised him the world. . ...  When the coach did not even mention him during an interview at the beginning of the year it did not look good for him.   

oklahomamick

But how much would he have played at valpo?  That team had 6 seniors on it? He would have played more than he did at ASU but not enough to stick around?
CRUSADERS!!!

classof2014

It was an unfortunate situation for Richie. With Bobby becoming eligible he saw his playing time decreasing. Sadly, he made a poor choice as he has barely played this year for ASU. I'm sure if he would've known this he would've gone elsewhere or just stayed at Valpo, then again I'm guessing he was imagining himself being a top-player on the team and see himself getting drafted into the NBA and being a rotation guy wasn't gonna do it.

With the power of hindsight it was a poor decision, basketball wise, hopefully he'll have another opportunity over sees because he is a very skilled player.

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 16, 2014, 11:19:30 PMBut how much would he have played at valpo?  That team had 6 seniors on it? He would have played more than he did at ASU but not enough to stick around?
He might of held on to 10 or 12 minutes per game at best but that might have enabled Ryan to have become a more effective 3. In hindsight there was only one team loss that Richie from the bench might have changed and that was against Nebraska. We can only speculate as to how much that might have changed our NCAA seeding, but probably not too much.

valpotx

Speaking of Nebraska, how about them going from last year's record to making the NCAA tournament this year as an 11 seed?  They were pretty bad last year, so Tim Miles has them going in the right direction!
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpotx on March 17, 2014, 10:24:10 AM
Speaking of Nebraska, how about them going from last year's record to making the NCAA tournament this year as an 11 seed?  They were pretty bad last year, so Tim Miles has them going in the right direction!

I always thought this board didn't give enough credit to Nebraska for the defense they played against Valpo last year. Nebraska never had the offense to compete in the B1G last year but they really shut down some good mid-majors before drowning during the conference season. 

valporun

Wasn't 2012-13 the first season of Nebraska basketball with Tim Miles as head coach? It might have been a little early to be upset that Nebraska's offense wasn't great, as they needed games to see how the offense would really work. The B1G isn't always a great way to describe offense, when the same teams are always at the top because of consistency in coaching and recruiting. I'm happy for Nebraska. It was a huge turnaround for them, and should mean great things for the program as long as Tim Miles stays.

atkins

Edwards probably got the last laugh -- He spent a couple of years in the beautiful Southwest.  Actually, ASU does not have a pretty campus.  It's rather mediocre, and Valpo's campus is much nicer.  However, ask 100 college-educated citizens where they'd rather attend college -- Valpo or ASU -- and I am certain that 90+ out of 100 would tell you ASU. 

a3uge

Quote from: atkins on March 18, 2014, 11:03:28 PM
Edwards probably got the last laugh -- He spent a couple of years in the beautiful Southwest.  Actually, ASU does not have a pretty campus.  It's rather mediocre, and Valpo's campus is much nicer.  However, ask 100 college-educated citizens where they'd rather attend college -- Valpo or ASU -- and I am certain that 90+ out of 100 would tell you ASU.

How long have these college educated citizens been college educated for? Ask after a couple years.

Smj

Make sure you ask your question with small words...lol

valpotx

An ASU degree is complete crap (sorry to say, but pretty much true), so I am taking your comment as meaning that the 'scenery' for males is very nice at ASU, and it is known as a party school.
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

I can't read anymore of the ASU bashing.  My cousin, Valpo alum and fraternity brother Jonathan Drnjevic Phd. teaches english literature at ASU.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

FWalum, the knock isn't on the Professors at ASU, but on the STUDENTS.  Of course, there are still quality students that graduate from ASU, but on the whole, most of the campus attends the school based on its other reputations (good looking people, party school, etc).  Even if this is not completely true, it is hard to argue that this is ASU's reputation, correct?  Therefore, when employers outside of AZ see an ASU degree, the natural reaction might be, 'this person went to a party school.'  I get resumes from ASU graduates in my hiring capacity at SiriusXM, and it is impossible for me not to have that as my first thought. 
"Don't mess with Texas"