• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where in the world is/was

Started by IndyValpo, February 03, 2012, 02:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valporun

vu72, Brandon completed his undergrad at Valpo, but due to medical redshirt at SIU, he still had a year left that allowed him to take advantage of the grad school year of eligibility under the new transfer rule.

Smj

What ever happened to Griffyn?   (He was a walk on from Triton - I think).  ???

zvillehaze

Quote from: Smj on November 02, 2012, 08:09:29 AM
What ever happened to Griffyn?   (He was a walk on from Triton - I think).  ???

He's playing golf at Bethel College.  http://www.bethelcollegepilots.com/roster/10/5/1982.php

valpopal

Good for Harvey!

Versatile Big Man Leads Walsh

NORTH CANTON —   Don't let Hrvoje Vucic's height fool you. The 7-foot-1 Croatian can pop in a 3-pointer or two as well as mix it up inside. Wilberforce found that out Tuesday night. Vucic hit a pair of 3s and finished with a team-high 20 to help lead Walsh to a 106-73 victory over the Bulldogs at Alumni Arena. He finished 2-of-4 from outside the arc and was effective in the paint for the Cavaliers, who posted a second straight easy win....

http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x1107413319/Versatile-big-man-leads-Walsh-men-over-Wilberforce

valpotx

Awesome.  He will put up big numbers in D-2
"Don't mess with Texas"

Smj

Happy for Hrvoje....   He was a good kid.    I always felt bad for him because of some of the not so nice stuff people said.   At a D-2 he will be a star on campus...

valporun

Smj, Vujic will be the BMOC-"BIG Man On Campus", not too many 7-footers at D-II schools.

valpopal

Dave Redmon, one of my favorite players to watch in high school and at VU. In fact, the first time I saw him play was when he was in middle school and hit a shot that he took from nearly half court. He could make shots from anywhere at anytime!

http://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/small-business-spotlight-bath-planet-valparaiso/article_adb3c9ce-0d70-5349-8763-afe254979c39.html

wh

I'm sure my fellow longtime followers will remember Scott Blum.  This is from today's Plymouth, IN newspaper:

OD to hang Scott Blum's, Todd Blair's uniforms Wednesday
December 4, 2012

HAMLET — Oregon-Davis will commemorate two of its best and brightest from the Class of 1988 when the school hangs the uniforms of Scott Blum and Todd Blair in the gymnasium Wednesday.
Blum's and Blair's uniforms were retired on Dec. 2 1988, and the uniforms will be hung in a ceremony following the Bobcats' junior varsity contest with South Bend Riley Wednesday at The Den, scheduled for 5:30 p.m. CST.
During his basketball career at OD, Blum scored 1,576 points, including 518 his senior year, when he averaged 20.4 points and 5.7 rebounds to help lead the Bobcats to the sectional championship.
He was selected to play on one of the greatest Indiana All-Star teams ever assembled and was recently named to the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame's Silver Anniversary Team.
He went on to play two years at Valparaiso University before transferring to Grace College, where he was an NAIA All-American and the Pete Maravich NCCAA player of the year.
Blum was the first OD player to have his jersey retired and is now the women's basketball coach at Grace, where he helped guide the team to its winningest season ever last year at 20-15.

Blair is a former OD cross country runner who helped lead the 1987 team to an undefeated 13-0 dual meet record and second-place finishes in the New Prairie Invitational and at sectional. The Bobcats went on to finish fourth at regional before closing out their season at semistate.
Blair advanced to the state finals as an individual and placed 10th, earning him a selection on the 1987 Indiana Association of Track and Cross Country Coaches' All-State team.

lowposter

I believe Grace won NAIA D2 national title when Scott was there.  He has done quite well...ran into him 3 years ago and was happy to be coaching.

lowposter

Valpo89

Did anyone happen to notice Ivan Vujic on the Northwestern bench Tuesday night in the Wildcats' upset win at Baylor?

valporun

Ivan has been on Bill Carmody's staff since he went back to school to finish up his degree program, and stayed on the coaching staff.

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on December 05, 2012, 03:16:09 PM
I'm sure my fellow longtime followers will remember Scott Blum.  This is from today's Plymouth, IN newspaper:

OD to hang Scott Blum's, Todd Blair's uniforms Wednesday
December 4, 2012

HAMLET — Oregon-Davis will commemorate two of its best and brightest from the Class of 1988 when the school hangs the uniforms of Scott Blum and Todd Blair in the gymnasium Wednesday.
Blum's and Blair's uniforms were retired on Dec. 2 1988, and the uniforms will be hung in a ceremony following the Bobcats' junior varsity contest with South Bend Riley Wednesday at The Den, scheduled for 5:30 p.m. CST.
During his basketball career at OD, Blum scored 1,576 points, including 518 his senior year, when he averaged 20.4 points and 5.7 rebounds to help lead the Bobcats to the sectional championship.
He was selected to play on one of the greatest Indiana All-Star teams ever assembled and was recently named to the Indiana Basketball Hall of Fame's Silver Anniversary Team.
He went on to play two years at Valparaiso University before transferring to Grace College, where he was an NAIA All-American and the Pete Maravich NCCAA player of the year.
Blum was the first OD player to have his jersey retired and is now the women's basketball coach at Grace, where he helped guide the team to its winningest season ever last year at 20-15.

Blair is a former OD cross country runner who helped lead the 1987 team to an undefeated 13-0 dual meet record and second-place finishes in the New Prairie Invitational and at sectional. The Bobcats went on to finish fourth at regional before closing out their season at semistate.
Blair advanced to the state finals as an individual and placed 10th, earning him a selection on the 1987 Indiana Association of Track and Cross Country Coaches' All-State team.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations to Scott!  Most people believe the '87-'88 team was the best in the school's 50 year history.  Here's a story about them from the Chicago Trib.  http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1988-01-17/sports/8803230138_1_junior-center-indiana-basketball-legend-high-school-basketball  They were also featured in the NY Times and on ABC's Nightline with Ted Koppel.  After being ranked as high as #6 in the state, they ended the year with two losses ... by 4 at Concord (state runner up) and by 3 to Portage at the Michigan City Regional.  http://etpearlsta.homestead.com/od80s.html

I believe Scott's uniform has been in the trophy case for a while ... caught my eye since it was the same number I wore a few years before.   :o  It will be nice to see old #44 hanging in The Bobcat Den!!

zvillehaze

I realize this is old news now, but my son just sent a follow up story from the Plymouth Pilot on Scott Blum event.  Congrats again to him!

http://www.thepilotnews.com/content/od-commemorates-%E2%80%9888-championship-team

Smj

Bad form - Wagner....   At least take some new photos.  (I understand for the first little while or maybe even during off season but get some pictures of him.)

http://www.wagnerathletics.com/news/2012/6/1/MBB_0601124749.aspx

EddieCabot

historyman

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Smj on January 28, 2013, 07:51:56 AMBad form - Wagner....

yes.

Quote from: EddieCabot on January 28, 2013, 08:32:22 AMAm I missing something?

again, yes.  for one thing, we don't make a freakin' montage of them in their old jersey.  secondly, VU cites their source for the photo in all cases.  wagner does not.

as a creative-type, that's offensive.  more offensive than jay's game, perhaps ;)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Smj

I guess i just feel like - make the announcement and then get them in your own colors.   looks like it is a common practice but i don't like it...   It is like saying -this player did not like it at "-_-_-_" so we pulled him away from that place.   Also - what an opportunity to have pictures of your own colors...  Market your school!
:twocents:

valpo95

Saw this in Sid Hartman's column in the Minneapolis Star Tribune today (April 25, 2013).

"Chris Halvorsen, who was one of two Gophers basketball players who made 2013 All-Academic Big Ten, is transferring to another school."

Halvorsen was at VU in 2009/10 and averaged something like 1 ppg on average and transferred to be a walk-on at Minnesota.  After sitting out a year, he scored a total of 5 points in his two years at Minnesota. He was a high school teammate of Wisconsin's Mike Bruesewitz.

vu72

Quote from: valpo95 on April 25, 2013, 04:15:24 PM
Saw this in Sid Hartman's column in the Minneapolis Star Tribune today (April 25, 2013).

"Chris Halvorsen, who was one of two Gophers basketball players who made 2013 All-Academic Big Ten, is transferring to another school."

Halvorsen was at VU in 2009/10 and averaged something like 1 ppg on average and transferred to be a walk-on at Minnesota.  After sitting out a year, he scored a total of 5 points in his two years at Minnesota. He was a high school teammate of Wisconsin's Mike Bruesewitz.

Wow!! That is unbelievable.  Now first,m I have to say that I thought he had some potential at Valpo but was way wrong.  His father thought he was getting screwed and that Homer Drew had changed his personality as after Chris committed, he became mean spirited.  so he transfers back home (where his father was a prof--so undoubtedly he effectively retained his full ride) so he could tell people he once "played" for the Gophers.  this isn't all bad and actually a good move if your future is based in the Twin Cities.
.  We
So now he is invoking the grad/eligibility rule to seek his "playing time" elsewhere.

Well, he now can say he once received a "full ride" to a D1 school as well as being able to say he "once "played" for the gophers. And now, can say he played at...
fill in the blank___________ ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/highschools/21179356-556/hutton-new-nwi-prep-school-offers-second-shot-at-college-hoops.html

Although the article is poorly written, it appears that former Crusader Chris Artis is leaving his position as Asst. Coach at Calumet High School to become the Asst. Coach at the new NWI Prep School:

Chris Artis was so intrigued by MEPA that he left his job as an assistant at Calumet after nine seasons. Artis teaches sixth grade at East Chicago. He played basketball at Andrean and Valparaiso University. He knows what these kids need and he wants to be there for them.

Artis was the go-to guy for Talley when he was trying to sort through his options.

"I want to help these kids out," he said. "Many of them fall through the cracks. They just don't have the guidance they need to get there."

Note that the article does not state what position he is going to fill.  I am surmising Asst. Coach, since there is an earlier reference to another guy becoming head coach.

valporun

wh, from reading this article, Glenn Heffermann is going to be the head coach, and Artis will be his assistant.

lowposter

Outstanding...Chris Artis is one of the "good guys" in the game.  Minor correction.  He was Assistant coach at Calumet College in Whiting, not Calumet High School.

Regarding Zoran Talley...this is one talented young man.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the 6'8" range.  The young man can flat out shoot the ball.  This is a great opportunity for him...let's hope he gets those grades up, puts on 20 pounds, grows 2 inches and has the opportunity to play at the next level.  He will certainly have a great mentor in Coach Artis.

Zoran's sister is quite a player at MHS and only a sophomore.

lowposter