• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013-2014 Season

Started by classof2014, May 16, 2013, 11:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

I think that it is safe to say that we will always be among the top 3 in men's basketball with Bryce at the helm...
"Don't mess with Texas"

EddieCabot

Quote from: vu72 on September 01, 2013, 08:47:41 PM
By the time we start conference play there will be nobody as good as Valpo.   

We have as much talent and experience as anyone...fifth year senior Capobianco, Fifth year senior in Moussa Gueye, fifth year senior Lavonte Dority, guys with maturity like Coleman and Chadwick not to mention our best recruiting class in years.

I'm not worried in the least and things like this poll will only motivate.

Quote from: valpotx on September 02, 2013, 02:32:49 AM
I think that it is safe to say that we will always be among the top 3 in men's basketball with Bryce at the helm...

Good points made here.  Coach Drew seems to have a knack of bringing in multiple transfers so there's always experienced players on the roster.  Capobianco and Dority have already proven themselves at Valpo.  Gueye was a starter in the SEC, and along with Chadwick and Fernandez, gives Valpo size that will be unmatched in the Horizon.  Add Carter in December and you've got high-major talent at every position.  Agree that this team shouldn't finish outside the top 3.

With that said, don't expect national media people to see all the potential of these guys.  Here's another national guy predicting Valpo middle of the pack ... just more bulletin board material.  http://nycbuckets.com/2013/09/three-bold-horizon-league-predictions/

a3uge

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 03, 2013, 08:33:00 AM

We have as much talent and experience as anyone...fifth year senior Capobianco, Fifth year senior in Moussa Gueye, fifth year senior Lavonte Dority, guys with maturity like Coleman and Chadwick not to mention our best recruiting class in years.

Good points made here.  Coach Drew seems to have a knack of bringing in multiple transfers so there's always experienced players on the roster.  Capobianco and Dority have already proven themselves at Valpo.  Gueye was a starter in the SEC, and along with Chadwick and Fernandez, gives Valpo size that will be unmatched in the Horizon.  Add Carter in December and you've got high-major talent at every position.  Agree that this team shouldn't finish outside the top 3.

With that said, don't expect national media people to see all the potential of these guys.  Here's another national guy predicting Valpo middle of the pack ... just more bulletin board material.  http://nycbuckets.com/2013/09/three-bold-horizon-league-predictions/

On both lists I initially thought Cleveland State and YSU were rated a bit high, but then I remembered that the entire league is kind of even this year. Valpo and Detroit are both down and the league is wide open. YSU has maybe the best player in the league, and is a team that destroyed Valpo last year, but are graduating Eargle/Blake Allen and are left with a weak bench. Hain and Belin as the big men are going to lead YSU to a .500 season at best. Cleveland State finished 5-11 conference last year. I don't see how they're the third best team in the conference. Maybe Gary Waters is expecting luck to swing his way when CSU isn't guarding anyone on the perimeter.

The second rated team is going through an offseason scandal with their incompetent coach. Off field/court problems always seem to gravitate to on-court problems. Alec Brown had an awful year last year and went from an NBA draft shoe-in to a guy who can't control his gumby arms.

As for the other teams: Oakland isn't all that frightening, but they'll outplay their talent like Valpo did when they joined the HL.

I still see Valpo in a rebuilding year and expect them to go a game or two over 500. I think Bobby will have a good year, but he lacks the knack for finishing up on offense that KVW had. I'm more worried about PG. While it's nice to have a PG that can shoot semi-accurately from 10ft out, Buggs defense isn't going to be replaced this year. Dority was a complete liability last year when Buggs fouled out. Maybe Keith Carter is the answer, but him running the offense with no OOC development worries me. Everyone else on the roster is a complete unknown, or are going to have to prove they are better than what they showed last year. I see Valpo going a game over .500.

vu72

Quote from: a3uge on September 03, 2013, 10:13:07 AM

On both lists I initially thought Cleveland State and YSU were rated a bit high, but then I remembered that the entire league is kind of even this year. Valpo and Detroit are both down and the league is wide open. YSU has maybe the best player in the league, and is a team that destroyed Valpo last year, but are graduating Eargle/Blake Allen and are left with a weak bench. Hain and Belin as the big men are going to lead YSU to a .500 season at best. Cleveland State finished 5-11 conference last year. I don't see how they're the third best team in the conference. Maybe Gary Waters is expecting luck to swing his way when CSU isn't guarding anyone on the perimeter.

The second rated team is going through an offseason scandal with their incompetent coach. Off field/court problems always seem to gravitate to on-court problems. Alec Brown had an awful year last year and went from an NBA draft shoe-in to a guy who can't control his gumby arms.

As for the other teams: Oakland isn't all that frightening, but they'll outplay their talent like Valpo did when they joined the HL.

I still see Valpo in a rebuilding year and expect them to go a game or two over 500. I think Bobby will have a good year, but he lacks the knack for finishing up on offense that KVW had. I'm more worried about PG. While it's nice to have a PG that can shoot semi-accurately from 10ft out, Buggs defense isn't going to be replaced this year. Dority was a complete liability last year when Buggs fouled out. Maybe Keith Carter is the answer, but him running the offense with no OOC development worries me. Everyone else on the roster is a complete unknown, or are going to have to prove they are better than what they showed last year. I see Valpo going a game over .500.

If Valpo is in a rebuilding year, when do you expect the building to be complete.  After this year we will be relying on Fernandez in the middle and will be much smaller as we lose a 7' and 6'10 guy and add Nickerson, who won't make you impressed because he hasn't  done anything in a Valpo uniform.  We will have a bunch of sophomores and freshman and rely on Chadwick, Nickerson and Fernandez for size.  If we don't make a run for the title this year it might be a couple more to get the freshman to junior level. As for defense at the point, expect Lexus Williams to more of the Buggs type.  A little taller than Erik and very quick. I expect Carter to be the answer, we'll see...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Quote from: vu72 on September 03, 2013, 10:41:34 AM
Quote from: a3uge on September 03, 2013, 10:13:07 AM

If Valpo is in a rebuilding year, when do you expect the building to be complete.  After this year we will be relying on Fernandez in the middle and will be much smaller as we lose a 7' and 6'10 guy and add Nickerson, who won't make you impressed because he hasn't  done anything in a Valpo uniform.  We will have a bunch of sophomores and freshman and rely on Chadwick, Nickerson and Fernandez for size.  If we don't make a run for the title this year it might be a couple more to get the freshman to junior level. As for defense at the point, expect Lexus Williams to more of the Buggs type.  A little taller than Erik and very quick. I expect Carter to be the answer, we'll see...

I wouldn't be surprised if Bryce went after some transfers or JUCOs for big guys next year.

Generally I'm not doom and gloom guy, and I believe I'm being realistic here. I'm agreeing with these preseason ratings that place Valpo in the middle of the pack. It's just difficult to replace that many minutes from a team that finished with Valpos beat RPI ever and expect to be at the top of the HL the next year.

We definitely do have a shot for the HL title this year - every team but Milwaukee does. Maybe not Detroit. If we do win the Horizon, we would most likely be a low seed - have to imagine we'll struggle out of the gates with a team full of freshmen and guys that haven't played much together. Who knows, maybe these new guys are outstanding, but remember KVW, Buggs, and Broekhoff early on were a part of the worst Valpo team in a decade.

setshot

Hell, Pitino won a national championship at KY. with a team made up of several freshmen players. So with VU's talented freshmen class,its overall height and returning veterans we should at least win the Horizon. If we don't,change coaches. :twocents:

setshot

CORRECTION: It was coach Cal.at KY. not RP.

classof2014

Personally I don't see Valpo having a down year. We are bringing back some experienced players in, Coleman, Capo, and Dority as well as two guys who have been under Drew's system for a year in Chadwick and Carter. I do believe that we will have some issues in the beginning part of the season just due to the number of freshman and new faces. I do believe having a 7' and 270 lbs big man will by far be the biggest player in the HL and not to mention he was a regular in the SEC which is saying something. He wasn't much of a scorer but a great defender and I think he'll lead the HL in rebounding and blocks and just by his shear size in a guard oriented league it will work wonders for us defensively. Let us not forget there were many games where not having a defensive force down low did hurt us, drastically.

I would imagine guys like Dority, Capo, and Coleman will come into their senior year improved. For Dority I imagined he will be a better defender, probably not EB quality but not like he was last year, and I'm sure Capo will be a better finisher as well. I would think Coleman might be a bit of a surprise performer this season. I think his athleticism alone will allow to do things many other players can't.

I think missing Carter for the first few games will hurt us cause I think he might become the best player on the team once eligible.

And like many have mentioned before let us not forget we do have one of the top young coaches in the NCAA in Bryce Drew. Just by his coaching alone, he'll win us a few games.

zvillehaze

Quote from: a3uge on September 03, 2013, 10:13:07 AMThe second rated team is going through an offseason scandal with their incompetent coach. Off field/court problems always seem to gravitate to on-court problems. Alec Brown had an awful year last year and went from an NBA draft shoe-in to a guy who can't control his gumby arms.

I admit to not researching much, but I think GB could easily win the league this year.  They return 4 of their top 5 scorers and rebounders from last season's 10-6 team that nearly beat Valpo at the ARC in the HL tourney.  6'8" Eastern Illinois transfer Alfonzo McKinnie played really well on their Bahamas trip and could easily replace Cougill's production off the bench.  Sykes is possibly the most explosive player in the league and Brown is still the league's best NBA prospect.

As for the off-court issues, I look at it a little differently.  Immediately after the news broke, Brown and Sykes came out in support of Wardell, and any players who had any issues left the program.  Adversity like that can either separate a team or can make it stronger.  With Brown and Sykes providing the vocal leadership and with the benefit of a pre-season trip, I expect them to be more cohesive this year than last year (when they obviously had chemistry issues).  Just my  :twocents: .

bbtds

Quote from: zvillehaze on September 03, 2013, 01:54:27 PM
Quote from: a3uge on September 03, 2013, 10:13:07 AMThe second rated team is going through an offseason scandal with their incompetent coach. Off field/court problems always seem to gravitate to on-court problems. Alec Brown had an awful year last year and went from an NBA draft shoe-in to a guy who can't control his gumby arms.

I admit to not researching much, but I think GB could easily win the league this year.  They return 4 of their top 5 scorers and rebounders from last season's 10-6 team that nearly beat Valpo at the ARC in the HL tourney.  6'8" Eastern Illinois transfer Alfonzo McKinnie played really well on their Bahamas trip and could easily replace Cougill's production off the bench.  Sykes is possibly the most explosive player in the league and Brown is still the league's best NBA prospect.

As for the off-court issues, I look at it a little differently.  Immediately after the news broke, Brown and Sykes came out in support of Wardell, and any players who had any issues left the program.  Adversity like that can either separate a team or can make it stronger.  With Brown and Sykes providing the vocal leadership and with the benefit of a pre-season trip, I expect them to be more cohesive this year than last year (when they obviously had chemistry issues).  Just my  :twocent
I totally agree with your accessment of Green Bay.

Valpo will compete with GB all the way to the Horizon League tourney final game. And if Valpo doesn't find a way to stop their offense it will be Wright St playing the Phoenix in the championship game.

vu72

Holy Cow!  How would you like to walk onto the court and see that you're facing this guy(eye)!!!!  Can't wait!

http://valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2013-14/12881/moussa-gueye-joins-inside-valpo-athletics/
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

justducky

Quote from: vu72 on September 05, 2013, 06:54:58 PMHoly Cow!  How would you like to walk onto the court and see that you're facing this guy(eye)!!!!  Can't wait!

http://valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2013-14/12881/moussa-gueye-joins-inside-valpo-athletics/
To have someone that is that big and that ugly standing in the lane should be a beautiful thing.  :)

zvillehaze

Quote from: bbtds on September 03, 2013, 07:21:11 PMQuote (selected)I totally agree with your accessment of Green Bay. Valpo will compete with GB all the way to the Horizon League tourney final game. And if Valpo doesn't find a way to stop their offense it will be Wright St playing the Phoenix in the championship game.

I just took a peek at WSU and see why they're showing up at the top of most lists.  They return their top 9 players from a pretty good team and add Chrishawn Hopkins.  If they had a weakness last year, it was offensive firepower.  If Hopkins buys into Donlon's system on the defensive end, he can certainly provide them some much needed scoring.

EddieCabot

Someone on the WSU board posted the Lindy's Horizon League preview ... here's a copy and paste of the post:

Lindy's Sports' HL preview:

1. Wright State
2. Green Bay
3. Cleveland State
4. Oakland
5. Youngstown State
6. UIC
7. Valparaiso
8. Detroit
9. Milwaukee

First team
Kendrick Perry, YSU
Chrishawn Hopkins, Wright State
Charlie Lee, Cleveland State
Keifer Sykes, Green Bay
Alec Brown, Green Bay

Second team
Jason Calliste, Detroit
Kelsey Barlow, UIC
Travis Bader, Oakland
Cole Darling, Wright State
Bryn Forbes, Cleveland State

Player of the Year: Kendrick Perry
Newcomer of the Year: Kelsey Barlow
Best shooter: Travis Bader
Best rebounder: Jordan Fouse, Green Bay
Best playmaker: Charlie Lee
Best defender: Anton Grady, Cleveland State
Most versatile: Kendrick Perry
Best NBA prospect: Alec Brown

Read more: http://wrightstate.proboards.com/thread/2666/hl-previews#ixzz2e9NvJTCv

Not much respect for Valpo, but given that they've got Calliste on the 2nd all-league team, they obviously don't follow the league that closely!   :lol:  :crazy:

vu72

Truly unbelievable. Hopkins first team? Based on what?  He once missed a lot of shots for Butler?  Wait till they get a look at Moussa.

wh

Quote from: vu72 on September 06, 2013, 04:52:00 PM
Truly unbelievable. Hopkins first team? Based on what?  He once missed a lot of shots for Butler?  Wait till they get a look at Moussa.

Oh, I don't know.  He was very good when it came to shooting co-eds from a dorm window.   

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on September 06, 2013, 06:34:06 PMHe was very good when it came to shooting co-eds from a dorm window
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Here's my prediction:

1. Wright State
2. Oakland
3. Green Bay
3. Cleveland State
3. Youngstown State
3. Valparaiso
3. UIC
8. Detroit
9. Milwaukee

chef

I'd guess Anton Grady and Jordan Fouse would both be more likely to show up on a pre-season all-conference team than Hopkins. Grady, two years ago and Fouse last year, were more affective players in their most recent season's than Hopkins was in two years at Butler.

EddieCabot

I've never seen Gueye play, so how good can he be at Valpo?  Contributor?  Starter?  All-league?  Just curious how you (or others that know more about him) think he'll fit in.

From that video, it seems like he thinks he was under-utilized by the Alabama staff, so I'm sure he'll be out to prove something this season.

EddieCabot

Quote from: chef on September 07, 2013, 05:13:07 AM
I'd guess Anton Grady and Jordan Fouse would both be more likely to show up on a pre-season all-conference team than Hopkins. Grady, two years ago and Fouse last year, were more affective players in their most recent season's than Hopkins was in two years at Butler.

IMO, most of these preseason "predictions" are worthless because these guys don't follow the Horizon that closely.  The pre-season poll from the Horizon coaches/administrators/media will be much more meaningful.

I don't ever recall a player new to the league being voted to a pre-season all league team in the Horizon poll.  I assume there's no prohibition from voting for them (maybe chef or pgmado can verify), but it just never seems to happen.  For that reason, I'd be very surprised if any newcomers like Gueye, Hopkins, Barlow or Carter show up in the Horizon poll.

Big D

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 07, 2013, 12:12:58 PM
I don't ever recall a player new to the league being voted to a pre-season all league team in the Horizon poll.  I assume there's no prohibition from voting for them (maybe chef or pgmado can verify), but it just never seems to happen.  For that reason, I'd be very surprised if any newcomers like Gueye, Hopkins, Barlow or Carter show up in the Horizon poll.

Hopkins isn't exactly new to the HL. 

wh

Quote from: Big D on September 07, 2013, 12:33:12 PM
Quote from: EddieCabot on September 07, 2013, 12:12:58 PM
l
Hopkins isn't exactly new to the HL. 

Hopkins pros - quickness, vertical, good one-on-one offensive skills, strong finisher around the basket.  Liabilities - probably the worst defender Butler had and one of the worst back court defenders in the HL, 0.9 Assist:TO ratio, <30% from 3, only played 23 min./game due to being prone to turn the ball over too much and give up easy scores.  At this point, who knows what his true ability level is?  Best case he's a bundle of unfulfilled potential about to have a breakout year.  Worst case he is who he is - a respectable mid major guard prone to make as many mistakes as he does positive things.  Time will tell.  In any event he certainly does not have the credentials to be named 1st or 2nd team pre-season all-conference player.   

vu72

Quote from: EddieCabot on September 07, 2013, 11:56:31 AM

I've never seen Gueye play, so how good can he be at Valpo?  Contributor?  Starter?  All-league?  Just curious how you (or others that know more about him) think he'll fit in.

From that video, it seems like he thinks he was under-utilized by the Alabama staff, so I'm sure he'll be out to prove something this season.

None of us know for sure of course.  His sheer physical size (7' 270# of muscle) will make him an intimidation factor for sure.  I did an analysis at some point back showing how he did against Oakland which was the only team we both had played.  Then I compared how he did against the big boys and how Kevin did against similar competition.  Often Kevin was completely shutdown while Moussa had some very solid games.  Against Kentucky for example he had 4 points and 5 blocks and 5 boards in 18 minutes while playing against Nerlins Noel.  He'll be big for us while giving us our first legit shot blocker in quite a while.