• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Team

Started by IndyValpo, November 15, 2013, 12:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Good pic Dutch, as evidenced by the VU Shield in the photo
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpopal

[tweet]527490736858882048[/tweet]

valpopal

The women lost to a seemingly weak Wisconsin-Parkside 69-52 in an exhibition this afternoon. The first half was a disaster, but the team came back to outplay their opponent 27-21 in the second half, especially looking good on defense when they held Parkside to 5-27 shooting. The big differences in the game proved to be turnovers and fouls. Valpo committed 22 turnovers, while Parkside took 32 free throws to the Crusaders' 8. Indeed, the difference in free throws made was 18 points.

Valpo was missing a number of players who are injured, and Karungi had a particularly tough game as she shot 0-11. However, if there was a bright spot, the freshmen (Walker, Franklin, and Hamilton) looked good. In fact, frosh Dani Franklin led the Crusaders in scoring. Dean and Hamlet (below) also played well much of the game.

valpopal

I have posted a gallery of 16 photos from the exhibition game vs Wisconsin-Parkside at the following link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157649075427891/

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on November 01, 2014, 07:03:50 PMThe women lost to a seemingly weak Wisconsin-Parkside 69-52
[/b].

As I posted under a separate thread, this is a D2 team picked 5th in their conference.  A disaster way to start.  Why are there so many injuries this early??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

jack

I'm sure the ladies were looking forward to playing someone else besides themselves. I wouldn't read too much into this loss. Unfortunately, as it seems with most years, the pre-season injuries hurt us both during practice and games. It was important to get the newbies out there and going and out of their comfort zone. This game spotlighted the issues we need to work on:
1. Foul trouble. Some fouling can be acceptable if you're battling inside, but too many of ours were silly fouls.
2. Leads to the next - lack of aggressive play underneath. When you're outsized, as we almost always are, you have to block out and fight for possition. Unless you're shooting lights out, you need to be able to pull down some offensive boards.
3. Some sloppy passing. We must take care of the ball. We also had some nice passing that we couldn't get a handle on. We lacked concentration at times.
4. Speaking of concentrating, we have to focus and finish. We missed too many shots that should have been easy 2's.

It was good to get out and mix it up to get started. We have plenty to work on before Butler. I like our talent, though young, but I feel we will see improvement game to game. Need to get everyone healthy soon.

valpopal

The women will face a tough challenge on Friday with Butler, especially if the team continues to have key players out due to injuries. I hope they stay close in the first half and get a bigger home crowd for support in the second half as part of a doubleheader with the men's team.

IndyValpo

Butler is in their worst position in years.  3 starters and 3 subs left the programs either during or immediately after the season. New coach, only 9 on scholarship with 3 additional wallk-ons one of which is a VB player who has not joined yet.  If we can't beat these guys at home it does not bode well.

Add to this the game preview says that 2 probable staters for Butler will sit this game out....

bbtds

Let's not under estimate how far our Valpo program has fallen.

OTOH, I'll give this women's team a huge PLUS for the year

if they can knock off the Bulldogs. I don't care if BU had to recruit in the dorms the day before the game, much like Chicago State.    ;D

valpo4life

In wake of tonight's opener, I figured I would mention that the Women's team had 4 girls sign their NLI yesterday. Allison Schofield, Meredith Hamlet, Hannah Schaub, and Claire Marburger.

Marburger is rated as a 90 on ESPN and the #19 Forward in the nation. Schaub is rated as a 88 and the #91 Point Guard. Schofield is considered a 3 star recruit according to prospectsnation.com Hamlet was 1st team All State in Class C as a junior averaging 21.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 7.1 assists and 3.8 steals.

Seems like a pretty good group and leaves one scholarship remaining for what you would think would be a big girl, more than likely a JUCO or foreign player as it's late in a game to grab a quality big still uncommitted in high school.

valpo4life

Maybe not actually on having a 5th scholarship available. Either way I would suggest to whoever made the scholarship chart for the Women's team adjust to Aliyah Isaac not longer being with the program and Sarah Godwin being on the 2015-2016 docket twice.

LaPorteAveApostle

Thanks for the heads-up--would you like editor privileges?

Also answers the question as to whether Sharon Karungi will get a fourth year of eligibility, since VU doesn't think so--all 15 are given away for next year already.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Valpo currently up 10 on Futler but...NO VIDEO YET!!!  Let's hope this screw up doesn't carryover to the men's game!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

91-57 Valpo!!!  Buck Futler continues :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

That's quite a thumping.  In which conference does this Butler team play??   :crazy:

valpotx

Quote from: valpo4life on November 14, 2014, 12:43:35 PM
In wake of tonight's opener, I figured I would mention that the Women's team had 4 girls sign their NLI yesterday. Allison Schofield, Meredith Hamlet, Hannah Schaub, and Claire Marburger.

Marburger is rated as a 90 on ESPN and the #19 Forward in the nation. Schaub is rated as a 88 and the #91 Point Guard. Schofield is considered a 3 star recruit according to prospectsnation.com Hamlet was 1st team All State in Class C as a junior averaging 21.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, 7.1 assists and 3.8 steals.

Seems like a pretty good group and leaves one scholarship remaining for what you would think would be a big girl, more than likely a JUCO or foreign player as it's late in a game to grab a quality big still uncommitted in high school.

Worth noting that Hamlet is the younger sister of our recent Hamlet transfers!  All because they didn't like Oakland, and apparently like our school.  After today's beat down of Butler, things appear promising to start the season.  This is why we wait to judge a coach until year 3...
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

vu72

LaPorteAveApostle

bbtds:  "PLUSSES!"

'72:  "nonplussed"

FWalum

I know that Butler has some personnel issues, but I really didn't think this game would be a 34 point beat down. This has the makings of a very long season for the Lady Bulldogs.  On the flip-side this is just what the doctor ordered for our women's team!!!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

ARCInsider

Best the team has looked since the Freeman era...still a long way to go to reach those heights, but it's a great start!

valpopal

While we wait for the men to play later today, I have posted a gallery with more than 20 photos from the women's win over Butler for all to enjoy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157648904471820/

jack

Quote from: FWalum on November 14, 2014, 08:31:20 PM
I know that Butler has some personnel issues, but I really didn't think this game would be a 34 point beat down. This has the makings of a very long season for the Lady Bulldogs.  On the flip-side this is just what the doctor ordered for our women's team!!!

Let's hope the momentum carries over to tomorrow night's game vs IU. I know that Butler had their issues, but for once it seems it's someone else and not us. We actually had 13 dressed and ready. Could be a record!  :P I was very impressed by the young talent we have. We have more size inside than we had in past years. This team seems to be built for speed. That could be big as the season progresses. Our guards were crashing the boards with some impressive numbers also.
I agree, we needed to get out of the gate this way. 

IndyValpo

Check out IU's freshman guard Tyra Buss. She is the best recruit they have ever signed. A four year starter in HS with a career average of 38 points per game...nearly 46 a game her last two. She was also 89-0 in tennis and qualified for the state track meet in 5 different events. She scored 18 in their opener.

bbtds

http://www.tyrabuss.com/

She's from Mt, Carmel, IL. Their HS plays in a conference in Indiana.

http://indianagirlsbasketball.homestead.com/files/girlslogs413.htm

http://indianagirlsbasketball.homestead.com/files/girlsconf2.htm

And yowser! What a looker!

She's the Hoosiers' Ace now!