• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2014-2015 schedule

Started by oklahomamick, April 29, 2014, 10:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

I've noticed several other HL fan forum's discussing their schedule for next year.  It seems like they have a pretty good idea about OCC and tournaments. 

What return games do we have next year?  Will we be playing Belmont next year?  Butler???? (Now would be the time)  Can we try and peice together our OOC and tournament schedule? 
CRUSADERS!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

I like how you started this thread last year too, but at least you waited until May 10 :)

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1452.0

As usual all we'll know is what we can crib from other sites until we release ours.

As Kyle said last September (!)
Quote from: Kyle321n on September 06, 2013, 10:40:28 AMIt's starting to get embarrassing that we've been able to put together at least 30 games for Valpo, there's a listing of what games will be on TV, and they haven't officially announced their schedule...

Official schedule was released Sept 10.  soooo...we have about 20 weeks to glean little chunks from around the Intertubes to put it together.  Last year we were pretty close--I would say over 90% of the way--by the time the thing was finally done.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

Well, in a lot of ways I'm still a new kid around this block, but something about what I just wrote sparked a memory:

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on August 18, 2012, 09:25:53 AMMeanwhile we're cobbling together bits and scraps from all corners of the Intertubes...sigh.

So, the more things change...

Although, note our restraint--we didn't start the 2012-13 thread until August 17.
http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=924.0

Also in that thread:
Quote from: vusupporter on August 18, 2012, 09:28:09 AM
The last four years, the earliest the schedule has been released is August 18 - just saying...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

oklahomamick

I know we have awhile before Valpo releases the official schedule.  I always try and catch a out of towner.  I attended the St. Louis game in 12-13 season and attended the Central Florida game 13-14 year. 
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 29, 2014, 10:25:22 AM
I've noticed several other HL fan forum's discussing their schedule for next year.  It seems like they have a pretty good idea about OCC and tournaments. 

What return games do we have next year?  Will we be playing Belmont next year?  Butler???? (Now would be the time)  Can we try and peice together our OOC and tournament schedule? 

Butler finished 9th or 10th (too lazy to look it up) in their first season in the Big East.  They will probably be picked 9th or 10th next year.  The last thing they need while trying to earn a minimum level of respect in their new league is suffer a loss to a former sister program from the Horizon League.  I don't think they'll be scheduling any of us any time soon.   

talksalot

I read that 6 HL teams with get a Home/Home with Belmont (to my knowledge, they didn't say which 6 schools)... and Eastern Kentucky in the final return trip from the Bracketbuster a year ago.... and we can keep our fingers crossed about New Mexico coming in... but that may be just an old memory...

EddieCabot

Quote from: talksalot on April 29, 2014, 08:40:48 PM
I read that 6 HL teams with get a Home/Home with Belmont (to my knowledge, they didn't say which 6 schools)... and Eastern Kentucky in the final return trip from the Bracketbuster a year ago.... and we can keep our fingers crossed about New Mexico coming in... but that may be just an old memory...

Correct on New Mexico...they postponed the return game until this season.  Assume that ETSU will return last year's game.  I'm not sure where the Ball State series stands, but if it's continuing, they would be at the ARC this year.

All the other games were either part of tournaments or games vs. non-DI schools, so there aren't any other obvious matchups that I see.

justducky

Quote from: wh on April 29, 2014, 07:42:40 PMButler finished 9th or 10th (too lazy to look it up) in their first season in the Big East.  They will probably be picked 9th or 10th next year.  The last thing they need while trying to earn a minimum level of respect in their new league is suffer a loss to a former sister program from the Horizon League.  I don't think they'll be scheduling any of us any time soon.   
I said 2 years ago that eventually Brad Stevens would find his way back to the ARC to wash away the bad taste of the 4 game Butler losing streak. With his departure to the pro ranks there is now just as good a chance of the Celtics coming to town  as there is of the Bulldogs. Sadly I have concluded that I may have witnessed my last VU-Butler mens basketball game.

Hey, is it too early for me to start my annual drumbeat for a little VU-Baylor action? How about a steel cage matchup featuring Bryce and Scott. For them I would settle for a 2 for 1. Maybe I should take out a few ads in the Waco press claiming that Scott just doesn't have a hair (somewhere) if he isn't up to the challenge.  Thoughts?

talksalot

Maybe we could get DePaul to pick up the slack... They refused to play in the ARC a long time before But*** did...

anyway... speaking of getting schedules out... I see the B1G and the ACC have announced their match-ups...   Duke/Wisc    OhioSt/Lville   Virginia/Maryland

Mon, Dec 1

Nebraska at Florida State
Rutgers at Clemson

Tue, Dec 2

Syracuse at Michigan
Ohio State at Louisville
Pittsburgh at Indiana
NC State at Purdue
Illinois at Miami (Fla.)
Minnesota at Wake Forest

Wed, Dec 3

Duke at Wisconsin
Michigan State at Notre Dame
Iowa at North Carolina
Virginia at Maryland
Georgia Tech at Northwestern
Virginia Tech at Penn State

I'd like to see the HL have a "throw-down" with the MAC (I doubt MVC would do it)

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on May 01, 2014, 04:16:00 PMVirginia at Maryland

Now there's a game I'm sure the Terrapins are excited to play.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/2/9/5394546/maryland-virginia-basketball-preview

Maryland will travel down to Charlottesville for the last time as their rivalry with the Cavaliers begins to draw to a close

If only the writer had known what the commissioners/schedulers had in mind.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/3/7/5482252/maryland-basketball-acc-history-virginia

This will be the final game Maryland has at home against an ACC opponent, so naturally it had to be Virginia.

Oh so wrong!

LaPorteAveApostle

If that's a test, u do fail!

ARCInsider

2015 Maui Invitational- Indiana, Kansas, UNLV, UCLA, St. John's, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Chaminade

2015 Great Alaska Shooutout- Alaska-Anchorage, Colorado St, Mercer, Missouri St, Pacific, Rice, UC Santa Barbara, Washington St

And a good link that has more info than I want to type out...no Valpo though...

http://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2013/12/2/5166354/2014-15-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-MTE

ARCInsider

New Mexico message boarders confirm the Lobos are coming to us this year.

LaPorteAveApostle

historyman

I've fought dragons! You think I'm afraid of some wolf?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

zvillehaze

According to a post on the Drake board, Valpo will be playing in Nashville on Nov. 28th, 29th and 30th.  Opponents will be Drake, Murray State and Portland (in some order).

ARCInsider

While that is not an awful slate, Murray State had the best RPI of the bunch this year---and that was 111.  Portland's 178 and Drake's 164 don't do much for me.  I do love Nashville, though.

crusadermoe

I think that Nashville group is perfect:  Drake, Murray State and the other one.     

Mid-range RPI schools are great for non-conference.    What do we learn by playing Top 20 stud teams like Duke, Ohio State, Arizona and Michigan State and then mix in doormats like Chicago State, Savannah State and some D3s.  That is how we used to roll.   

We schedule much smarter now and we cut back the travel costs too.   Nashville is a great change of pace and drivable for fans.  Smart!!

oklahomamick

I'll be there.  Gives me an opportunity to see them in person for the 3 games. 

Non conference games should be against opponents that your competing with for recuits.  There should also be a couple games scheduled that might be played on tv, possible payout, or a big challenge.  I remember playing several big 10 teams or top 25 teams in soccer when I was at Valpo.  It's a good experience and memory that I have. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Murray State should be a lot better next year - they only lose one starter and their their best player was only a freshman last year. Drake finished around .500 overall, but were 6-12 in conference. It looks like they're losing 3 senior starters next year. Portland might be the best team of the 3... they beat Gonzaga and BYU last year. They're losing 4 seniors, but only 1 seemed to be a decent contributor. Overall, this is a great group to schedule, and they're all teams that are going to be competitive.

StlVUFan

Quote from: oklahomamick on May 15, 2014, 08:58:45 AMI'll be there.  Gives me an opportunity to see them in person for the 3 games. 

I'm definitely planning to be there myself.

oklahomamick

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 15, 2014, 09:57:34 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on May 15, 2014, 08:58:45 AMI'll be there. Gives me an opportunity to see them in person for the 3 games.
I'm definitely planning to be there myself.

It would be nice to have an alumni event before one of the games as they did for the UCF game in Orlando. 
CRUSADERS!!!

ARCInsider

Quote from: crusadermoe on May 15, 2014, 08:41:04 AM
I think that Nashville group is perfect:  Drake, Murray State and the other one.     

Mid-range RPI schools are great for non-conference.    What do we learn by playing Top 20 stud teams like Duke, Ohio State, Arizona and Michigan State and then mix in doormats like Chicago State, Savannah State and some D3s.  That is how we used to roll.   

We schedule much smarter now and we cut back the travel costs too.   Nashville is a great change of pace and drivable for fans.  Smart!!

Or we could shoot for more of the mid-level Big 10/Big 12 type teams...we don't have to play top 10 teams or bottom 10 teams...why not Northwestern, Iowa, Oklahoma, Kansas State, etc. New Mexico is exactly the kind of team we need to play.

Granted I understand it takes both schools being interested...but it is not as if the only two choices are powerhouse+doormats vs. meh mid majors.

crusadermoe

Absolutely.   Give me a mid or lower tier Big 10 or Big 12 school any day we can get them.   

But as you say...it takes two to tangle.   We've talked for years about why.   And for the holiday tourneys, all the bigs want their own easy field or they want to go to glamour sites.   

Yeah....my heart isn't keeping up with my head for Drake/Murray St. etc. either.   Forgot the third was Portland...yeesh.   How many bids won by Portland?   Drake went that year when San Diego, Dayton, Drake, Valpo, and Davidson all got NCAA bids (2004?).   Pioneer schools all. 

LaPorteAveApostle