• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2014-2015 schedule

Started by oklahomamick, April 29, 2014, 10:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: wh on August 25, 2014, 11:45:11 PM
A good beginning toward a quality OOC schedule...

18 New Mexico
  50 Missouri
101 Murray State
116 IPFW
178 Portland
179 Drake
208 ETSU

120 avg.

1 Top 25 opponent, 2 Top 50 opponents, 3 Top 100 opponents (almost), no opponents >250, and 1 potentially winnable Power-5 opponent (rather than multiple guaranteed losses against top tier Power 5's - aka "the Oakland way")

I would think another game with an RPI opponent between 50 and 100 home or away would really help this schedule in the sense of giving Valpo the chance to earn an at large tourney bid if they won 2 of 3 of the games with opponents with top 100 rpi's.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

FWalum

Quote from: valpopal on August 25, 2014, 04:27:22 PM
Valpo at IPFW on Saturday, Dec. 20.
Dissapointed to see that his game will be at the small on campus Gates Center rather than the Memorial Coliseum. IPFW only has one game listed for the coming year at the coliseum and that is against Jacksonville, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity for them to add another Memorial Coliseum game.  It also makes it a little more difficult to have an alumni event before the game because it would probably have to be off campus.

Jon Coffman is the new head coach and IPFW. He is much more vocal and animated than the previous coach Tony Jasick. He also has a pretty good returning base of players from last year's record-breaking team. This includes 2 very large post up type players ranging in weight from about 270 to 300 pounds. I'm getting sick of losing to them here in Fort Wayne so let's pack the Gates Center and give them a real spanking.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

We can add a home exhibition game against Grand Valley State on Thursday, Nov. 6.

FWalum

The new IPFW head coach is beginning to get a lot of press lately. Here are a couple of interesting articles, one throws out a familiar theme from here on the forum and talks about a 6 team in state early-season challenge between Indiana State, Ball State, Evansville, Valparaiso, IPFW and IUPUI.  In his words: IPFW hoop coach talks on 'state' tournament

The next article talks about the difficulties of a mid-major, coming off of a good season, putting together a good out of conference schedule. The article includes their schedule for the upcoming season and also predictions for wins and losses. Guess what, they predict a win against Valparaiso at the Gates center on December 20.  IPFW coach finds hoop schedule challenging to play and construct

I would like nothing better than to see IPFW win the Summit League this coming year, right after we beat the snot out of them.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Dave_2010

Quote from: FWalum on August 28, 2014, 12:31:54 PM
The new IPFW head coach is beginning to get a lot of press lately. Here are a couple of interesting articles, one throws out a familiar theme from here on the forum and talks about a 6 team in state early-season challenge between Indiana State, Ball State, Evansville, Valparaiso, IPFW and IUPUI.  In his words: IPFW hoop coach talks on 'state' tournament

This is something I've thought about a few times in the past. It would be pretty cool if the schools could arrange to play 3-4 games in a week(end) either in Indy or rotating between campuses. I know that I would definitely find a way to get there, especially for the inaugural event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

humbleopinion

Good for him for putting an idea like this on the table.  I think it would be a great way to start the season.
Beamin' Beacons

justducky

Quote from: FWalum on August 28, 2014, 12:31:54 PMone throws out a familiar theme from here on the forum and talks about a 6 team in state early-season challenge between Indiana State, Ball State, Evansville, Valparaiso, IPFW and IUPUI.  In his words: IPFW hoop coach talks on 'state' tournament
Since neither the Summit or the MVC members would wish to be matched up for a third time, a traditional format might be both unworkable and undesirable. This doesn't mean that the general concept couldn't be implemented in a slightly altered fashion.

My thinking would be to target a prearranged, RPI biased, weekend series with everyone getting 2 games. Perhaps the top RPI ranked team going in gets to pick its 2 opponents and the rest of the games are assigned from a 6 team committee. Thoughts?

crusadermoe

IPFW is #116 ??      The freakin' mastadons?    Now that's a trap game.   We often lost to them when they ranked in the 270s.

covufan

Quote from: FWalum on August 28, 2014, 12:31:54 PMThe new IPFW head coach is beginning to get a lot of press lately. Here are a couple of interesting articles, one throws out a familiar theme from here on the forum and talks about a 6 team in state early-season challenge between Indiana State, Ball State, Evansville, Valparaiso, IPFW and IUPUI.  In his words: IPFW hoop coach talks on 'state' tournament

While I don't see a tournament happening, I would like to see something with these teams.  Since most of these schools have some Alumni in Indy, I'd have doubleheader with four of the teams at some location in Indy.  The other two teams would play each other that season.  Change the order next year.  Every three years (or so), you won't be playing in Indy, but you get a game on the same weekend with the other in-state team.  Every six years, you'd host that game.  You would need to make sure that ISU/Evansville and IUPUI/IPFW don't play each other, keeping their leagues happy.  Showcase the Indiana teams!

VU75

IU-South Bend on November 19th.

drewsaders11

Valpo grad living in Columbia MO here...Mizzou underperformed last year, and with a new coach, you never know about the Crusaders sneaking in a win early in the season.  At that point in the season, the crowd is definitely still interested in football in an "SEC" town, so it won't be like playing at ACC or B10 schools the past decade.

bbtds

The problem with having a D1 Indiana State tournament in Indy is that IUPUI has a big advantage and there are really only 2 places to host it---Bankers Life and the remodeled State Fair Coliseum. The State Fair Coliseum seems almost perfect but it will be IUPUI's home court. Jason Gardener will get that program turned around, if not soon, in a few years. I'm still of the opinion that Bankers Life is too big.

God forbid that BigDWSU find out the lower D1 Indiana schools plan a tournament in a high school gym.

Maybe Butler would rent out Hinkle while they are playing downtown.

valpospartan

Quote from: bbtds on September 01, 2014, 09:08:42 PM
The problem with having a D1 Indiana State tournament in Indy is that IUPUI has a big advantage and there are really only 2 places to host it---Bankers Life and the remodeled State Fair Coliseum. The State Fair Coliseum seems almost perfect but it will be IUPUI's home court. Jason Gardener will get that program turned around, if not soon, in a few years. I'm still of the opinion that Bankers Life is too big.

God forbid that BigDWSU find out the lower D1 Indiana schools plan a tournament in a high school gym.

In looking into just how much of a home court advantage IUPUI would have at the coliseum - not much - I discovered something disturbing:
IUPUI total att./avg .att. - 2012 - 18128/1133.  2014 - 9225/615.  615 a game!  :rotfl:
VU     total att./avg .att. - 2012 - 57508/3383.  2014 - 51002/2833.  550/game less.  :'(

LaPorteAveApostle

While that is a good point, I would think you are just seeing the general downward trend in people attending live sporting events in the big picture (vs. sitting on your comfy couch to watch and not worry about parking or concession prices or bathroom lines), and the effects of the Winter O'2014 in particular.

At least I hope so.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

Which is a big reason I would have no issue paying a yearly fee to watch Valpo sports, provided that we make it possible to see baseball as well :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: valpospartan on September 01, 2014, 10:12:24 PM

In looking into just how much of a home court advantage IUPUI would have at the coliseum - not much:
IUPUI total att./avg .att. - 2012 - 18128/1133.  2014 - 9225/615.  615 a game!  :rotfl:

New facility and new coach with a new attitude. I think you're going to see things changing fast for the Jags as far as attendance. If they just eliminate the parking situation that they had on the IUPUI campus that should help.

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on September 03, 2014, 12:10:31 AM
Quote from: valpospartan on September 01, 2014, 10:12:24 PM

In looking into just how much of a home court advantage IUPUI would have at the coliseum - not much:

New facility and new coach with a new attitude. I think you're going to see things changing fast for the Jags as far as attendance. If they just eliminate the parking situation that they had on the IUPUI campus that should help.

The Coliseum is nowhere near the IUPUI campus. Butler is closer to the Coliseum than IUPUI is.

wh

From the Detroit board:

Central Michigan put out a non-conference schedule that ought to get their remaining fans to swear off the team:

Home games are Alma, Youngstown State, Grand Canyon, SIU-Edwardsville, Concordia, and Central Pennsylvania, plus a tournament at CMU with Maine, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, and Valparaiso. Road games are Northwestern, McNeese State, and Bradley.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on September 03, 2014, 10:03:02 PMplus a tournament at CMU with Maine, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, and Valparaiso
This tournament is the CBB equivalent of the Holiday Inn where the Shaq-led Magic were snowed in with Marilyn Manson & band along with the cast of Sesame Street Live: it's

Us 184
UAPB 264
CMU 294
Maine 330
(last year, RPIForecast)

We should take this tournament; we also win "best non-con home game of CMU's season".  True, I would want to win this contest with whomever we play...just...not like this.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

The Chippewas return all five starters and 96 percent of their scoring from last season.

wh

Looks like a great opportunity to see us play 3 games over 3 days the weekend before Thanksgiving.

valpotx

It looks like season tickets are on sale, but no schedule for another few weeks.  Look at Peters taking a Dirk 'stork' shot!  That would be a great tool to add to his arsenal, especially if he grew to 6'9" as chef mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GcfemUGqmo&noredirect=1
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on September 03, 2014, 10:37:09 PM
The Chippewas return all five starters and 96 percent of their scoring from last season.
You say that like it's a good thing.  They're not returning the '88 Lakers.

PROTIP:  remove the "s" in "https" to embiid your video:
2014 Men's Basketball Season Tickets

EddieCabot

Quote from: wh on September 03, 2014, 11:12:54 PM
Looks like a great opportunity to see us play 3 games over 3 days the weekend before Thanksgiving.

It looks like this will be just two games.  First round games on the 21st, with championship/consolation games on the 23rd.