• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

All-time Valpo Starting Five?

Started by dcvalpo, May 19, 2011, 10:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sliman

Everyone was close, but Alan Harre was president from 1988-2008. 

valpo84

President Heckler understands the marketing value of athletics and the importance of successful mind, body and spirit. He believes that athletics can be a front porch for a University so that it has to be both tended to, supported and nurtured but be under control and meeting its mission. Successful teams are a very important part of that equation. But also important is having facilities that all students can benefit from, eg the bookstore weight training facility and hopefully a state of the art student athletic facility.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

dcvalpo

Quote from: valpo84 on May 24, 2011, 01:01:36 AM
President Heckler understands the marketing value of athletics and the importance of successful mind, body and spirit. He believes that athletics can be a front porch for a University so that it has to be both tended to, supported and nurtured but be under control and meeting its mission. Successful teams are a very important part of that equation. But also important is having facilities that all students can benefit from, eg the bookstore weight training facility and hopefully a state of the art student athletic facility.

This sounds good...has he made any practical application of that mentality?

valpopal

I have enjoyed my contact with both Harre and Heckler. Each has been good for VU, but they definitely have differing styles and interests.

I always admired the regular attendance and enthusiasm at games by Harre and his wife, who made a habit of keeping a scorecard. Since their season-ticket seats were right near mine, I would know they were there and sometimes spoke with them about the games. They were certainly fans of VU basketball.

I haven't seen Heckler as a regular attendee at basketball games; although, I don't mean this to be a criticism since he may have sat somewhere I didn't notice, and I am sure he is very busy. Also, I have seen Heckler very active in attending a number of other campus events, especially those concerning various arts and theater, where I expressed to him my appreciation for his support of those activities.

dcvalpo

Quote from: vurich on May 20, 2011, 02:54:39 PM
This is a fun and interesting thread. 

Thanks for your support!  Really trying to up the level of posting around here

valporun

I'm only applying my Valpo lineup from 1999-present because I didn't really see some of the guys who really helped build the Valpo basketball program, but I would go this route with my five guys...

G-Diebler--always keeping his eye on the ball, and playing wherever the ball is going. He might not have been a big time scorer, but as a ballhandler, I'll take his point guard work and defense over a point guard that will just shot the ball when he has the open shot.
G-Barton--I put Lubos at the 2 because he could score the ball from anywhere. He put a lot out of the court, and did what had to be done to keep us in games.
F-Stovall--Milo might have been more of a 2 than a 3, but Stovall wasn't afraid to get inside and be a tough boarder when we needed him to get in and get some boards for us. He could shoot as well, but with Barton and my next two picks, he didn't have to bear a huge scoring load on this team.
F-Dan Oppland--He never met a shot he wouldn't take, and he would bang to get them. He also never met a ball he wouldn't try to get to. He had a scoring touch that really kept in games in the late Mid-Con years that I was happy to have on the roster. He also got in and challenged the boards for rebounds that he could get nice, hard put backs with.
C-Grafs--Raitis might have never been the best, but he came in as a kid who was ready for the college game, unlike a lot of foreign recruits from countries where soccer(futbol) is the major sport. He wasn't afraid to bang, could have used a little bigger body, but he was a good kid, and awesome to watch play.

6th man--I would have to go with Greg Tonagel because he had so much court vision and ability to keep the team in the game with his ball smarts and floor leadership. Sure, most 6th men are 4 or 5s that can bang on the inside, but I don't remember too many like this from the time frame I made, so I went for Greg because he would be a great floor coach/ball handler.

StlVUFan

Quote from: valporun on May 24, 2011, 03:38:07 PM
6th man--I would have to go with Greg Tonagel because he had so much court vision and ability to keep the team in the game with his ball smarts and floor leadership. Sure, most 6th men are 4 or 5s that can bang on the inside, but I don't remember too many like this from the time frame I made, so I went for Greg because he would be a great floor coach/ball handler.

Greg Tonagel was the only VU player I remember seeing who I thought was very reliable on two important aspects of the game: (1) crisp passing, and (2) moving to the pass.  I swear, even with Butler, I see lots of one-handed long-arm passes that look casual, maybe because that's the way the game is played now.  I never saw an opponent steal a pass meant for Greg Tonagel.  He knew how to cut off the attempt by moving *to* the ball.

My experience begins in 2001, of course, so I can't speak for earlier seasons.

dcvalpo

I'm only applying my Valpo lineup from 1999-present because I didn't really see some of the guys who really helped build the Valpo basketball program, but I would go this route with my five guys...

G-Diebler--always keeping his eye on the ball, and playing wherever the ball is going. He might not have been a big time scorer, but as a ballhandler, I'll take his point guard work and defense over a point guard that will just shot the ball when he has the open shot.
G-Barton--I put Lubos at the 2 because he could score the ball from anywhere. He put a lot out of the court, and did what had to be done to keep us in games.
F-Stovall--Milo might have been more of a 2 than a 3, but Stovall wasn't afraid to get inside and be a tough boarder when we needed him to get in and get some boards for us. He could shoot as well, but with Barton and my next two picks, he didn't have to bear a huge scoring load on this team.
F-Dan Oppland--He never met a shot he wouldn't take, and he would bang to get them. He also never met a ball he wouldn't try to get to. He had a scoring touch that really kept in games in the late Mid-Con years that I was happy to have on the roster. He also got in and challenged the boards for rebounds that he could get nice, hard put backs with.
C-Grafs--Raitis might have never been the best, but he came in as a kid who was ready for the college game, unlike a lot of foreign recruits from countries where soccer(futbol) is the major sport. He wasn't afraid to bang, could have used a little bigger body, but he was a good kid, and awesome to watch play.

Loved all of these guys...not sure I could totally agree that each was the best at his position, but I would not be afraid to go to battle with that crew.  Good selections and thoughts

dcvalpo

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 24, 2011, 04:53:36 PM

Greg Tonagel was the only VU player I remember seeing who I thought was very reliable on two important aspects of the game: (1) crisp passing, and (2) moving to the pass.  I swear, even with Butler, I see lots of one-handed long-arm passes that look casual, maybe because that's the way the game is played now.  I never saw an opponent steal a pass meant for Greg Tonagel.  He knew how to cut off the attempt by moving *to* the ball.

Started GOING to VU in 2001 or started WATCHING in 2001?  What led you to VU basketball?

valpopal

Tonagel was one of the smartest and most dependable ball handlers VU has had, and he was like another coach on the floor, which may be why I'm not surprised by his subsequent success as a head coach. I always had confidence when he brought the ball across half court, and when he was fouled, there was no need to worry about him making the charity shots. However, Greg could have been a Valpo legend had he made that one last-second shot in Chicago to beat Notre Dame. I can visualize the arc and angle of the shot from where I was sitting at the United Center, and as I freeze the ball in my mind, I still think he is going to make it.

chef

GT was the most underrated player at Valpo over the last 20 years. He decision making was second to none. He did so many little things that went often overlooked.

dcvalpo

I will add that GT is a great guy and Christian...doesn't change his play on the floor, but he was the whole package of basketball leadership.

milanmiracle

I'll add to the Greg Tonagel celebration here. He was a fantastic player and I often wonder what could have been if his body held up. He learned alot of what he knew on the court from his father Hugh who was also a fantastic human being. Hugh played at Purdue before injuries cut his career short. There's a whole generation of basketball players in LaPorte who owe their game to Hugh. He taught without lecturing, and helped you even if you weren't his kid.

I think there were a lot of things that contributed to Greg's game, but in the end he played the game the way it should be played.
"Tragedy is losing 86-7 and then having ESPN calling the press box and asking if the score is actually correct." - pgmado

StlVUFan

Quote from: dcvalpo on May 24, 2011, 05:05:01 PM

Started GOING to VU in 2001 or started WATCHING in 2001?  What led you to VU basketball?

Started being a serious fan in 2001.  What led me to VU basketball is the obvious: The Shot.

dcvalpo

Quote from: StlVUFan on May 24, 2011, 08:58:49 PM
Quote from: dcvalpo on May 24, 2011, 05:05:01 PM

Greg Tonagel was the only VU player I remember seeing who I thought was very reliable on two important aspects of the game: (1) crisp passing, and (2) moving to the pass.  I swear, even with Butler, I see lots of one-handed long-arm passes that look casual, maybe because that's the way the game is played now.  I never saw an opponent steal a pass meant for Greg Tonagel.  He knew how to cut off the attempt by moving *to* the ball.

Started GOING to VU in 2001 or started WATCHING in 2001?  What led you to VU basketball?

Started being a serious fan in 2001.  What led me to VU basketball is the obvious: The Shot.

With your knowledge and message board savvy, I assumed you had been a lifer!  Well, glad to have you aboard!

DMvalpo18

as i hear about all these past valpo greats, it makes me wish i could have been there to watch them play. i have not been a follower of the program for too long, as i started following just a few years ago. i look forward to many great years as a valpo fan though!

dcvalpo

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on May 24, 2011, 09:18:56 PM
as i hear about all these past valpo greats, it makes me wish i could have been there to watch them play. i have not been a follower of the program for too long, as i started following just a few years ago. i look forward to many great years as a valpo fan though!

Well, you're in the right place if you want to learn!  With guys like rlh, 72, Stl, sectionee, and myself, among others, there is a great deal of knowledge here on this board.  We are always glad to help out and talk about the good ol' days!

vusupporter

Found this thread from a couple years back interesting - guessing there's another player who's a much bigger part of the conversation now...

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

setshot

You have to include Bielke,Dille and Doerhman(sp.)in the mix. Hell, Bielke almost single handily beat Villanova in the Palestra back in '53. And Dille,he was the best of the lot. Book it! :thumbsup:

DMvalpo18

HC

Ha, he may still be lurking these parts under an assumed name

vu84v2

Admittedly, I have only seen Valpo basketball since the early 80s

G - Drew (sort of obvious)
G - Stovall (his all-around game was great)
F - Barton (I think Broekhoff is great, but have to give a slight edge to Lubos)
F - Schmidt
C - Viskovic

2nd Team
C - Ensminger (Grafs was good, but Ensminger worked harder than anyone and was the best rebounder ever)
G - Redmon
G - Sykes (a really smart clutch player - though I certainly could have gone with Gipson)
F - Broekhoff
F - D. Oppland

VU75

John Wolfenberg got Valpo to it's first NCAA. Best range of any Valpo big I've ever seen.

chef

I don't think this is going out on a limb, but Broekhoff is the 2nd best player to put on a Valpo uniform in the Drew era.