• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2016

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, July 16, 2014, 01:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: zvillehaze on May 06, 2015, 08:14:40 PM
Here's an article from the Indy Star.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/columbia-citys-hazen-has-a-big-east-offer-range-of-interest

Thanks for that.  It sounds like we may be a fit.  It could be another Alec Peters or Derrik Smits situation, where both could have gone high major but choose Valpo because of immediate and continuous playing time.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

It does appear that he is an "Alec" type...Alec and his Family could be a big, positive influence on Brachen.

motowntitan

Can anyone answer me why Verbal Commits has no offers for you guys starting next year?  It has become my one stop shopping for recruiting news.  You guys are the only HL team without offers starting next year.   

hoopfan22

Vashil Fernandez sat out his first season right?

So he played 3. If he's graduating on time, can't they petition the NCAA for that year back? Couldn't he possibly get the 4th year to play or has that been put totally to bed? Also, if he were to come back, what does that do to the roster?

valpopal

Quote from: motowntitan on May 09, 2015, 10:07:06 AM
Can anyone answer me why Verbal Commits has no offers for you guys starting next year?  It has become my one stop shopping for recruiting news.  You guys are the only HL team without offers starting next year.   
Valpo has made an offer but it hasn't shown on Verbal Commits yet. I am sure it will by the end of today.

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on May 11, 2015, 02:05:56 PM
Quote from: motowntitan on May 09, 2015, 10:07:06 AM
Valpo has made an offer but it hasn't shown on Verbal Commits yet. I am sure it will by the end of today.
One just came up, but it is a 2017 recruit:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/kobe-king

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on May 06, 2015, 08:53:26 PM
Quote from: zvillehaze on May 06, 2015, 08:14:40 PM
Here's an article from the Indy Star.

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/columbia-citys-hazen-has-a-big-east-offer-range-of-interest

Thanks for that.  It sounds like we may be a fit.  It could be another Alec Peters or Derrik Smits situation, where both could have gone high major but choose Valpo because of immediate and continuous playing time.

Hazen has picked up another offer - Bradley.  The Indy Star article mentions that he'd like another visit to Valpo, so we have that going for us.

valpotx

Quote from: hoopfan22 on May 11, 2015, 11:06:38 AM

So he played 3. If he's graduating on time, can't they petition the NCAA for that year back? Couldn't he possibly get the 4th year to play or has that been put totally to bed? Also, if he were to come back, what does that do to the roster?

Vashil lost his first year due to eligibility concerns with a team he played on in Jamaica.  He would not be eligible to get that back. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

hoopfan22

Quote from: valpotx on May 13, 2015, 03:35:04 AM

Vashil lost his first year due to eligibility concerns with a team he played on in Jamaica.  He would not be eligible to get that back. 
Was there an official ruling? Has he left?

vu72

Quote from: hoopfan22 on May 13, 2015, 09:20:24 AM

Was there an official ruling? Has he left?

Technically no.  Graduation isn't until May 17.  I doubt Valpo would have honored him on senior night if he still had eligibility.  He is done at Valpo or any other college.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

beaner

It will be interesting to see if Vashil Fernandez gets to play another year at Valpo.  :thumbsup:

valpotx

There's no benefit for him to stay, even if he did get granted another year.  He is graduating and can start his pro career in Europe.
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

Vashil isn't eligible for another year. Period. End of story.

bbtds

Vashil will have a longer career in child rearing also.    ;D

wh

Another Mountain Mission sleeper that has come out of nowhere to being ranked a Scout.com 4 star player and the 80th ranked player in the country. He recently received offers from ASU and SMU but that's it to date.  I hope we're on this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0pr-SsE3sA#t=60

FWalum

Joethro Tshisumpa two weeks ago at the NBA Top 100 Camp

! No longer available
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on May 13, 2015, 10:05:47 AMTechnically no.  Graduation isn't until May 17.  I doubt Valpo would have honored him on senior night if he still had eligibility.  He is done at Valpo or any other college.

Quote from: valpotx on May 14, 2015, 03:58:17 AM
There's no benefit for him to stay, even if he did get granted another year.  He is graduating and can start his pro career in Europe.

Quote from: classof2014 on May 14, 2015, 08:06:51 AM
Vashil isn't eligible for another year. Period. End of story.

Kudos to hoopfan22 for sticking to his guns despite the absolute condemnation of his theory and being correct in the end.

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on July 19, 2015, 12:22:24 AMKudos to hoopfan22 for sticking to his guns despite the absolute condemnation of his theory and being correct in the end.

I've only been following from a distance.  Has it been resolved?  Which thread has the low down?

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on July 19, 2015, 03:54:41 PM
Quote from: bbtds on July 19, 2015, 12:22:24 AMKudos to hoopfan22 for sticking to his guns despite the absolute condemnation of his theory and being correct in the end.

I've only been following from a distance.  Has it been resolved?  Which thread has the low down?

I may have jumped the gun a bit. I assumed that since Vashil is participating in the open gyms with the other team members that he has been granted the extra year and will be playing with the team. We will find out for sure by July 29th or sooner.

valpotx

I didn't condemn his comments at all, but was rather saying that it doesn't make sense for him to come back, which still holds true.  He can be making good money in Europe, and I just don't understand why he would come back, if granted the opportunity, unless it was family-oriented.
"Don't mess with Texas"

classof2014

Quote from: valpotx on July 20, 2015, 11:49:41 PM
I didn't condemn his comments at all, but was rather saying that it doesn't make sense for him to come back, which still holds true.  He can be making good money in Europe, and I just don't understand why he would come back, if granted the opportunity, unless it was family-oriented.

If you look at the trajectory Vashil had over his 3 playing seasons at the college level he made huge strides between his 1st and second seasons and same with his second and third seasons. If he is indeed coming back could he make another big stride between his 3rd and 4th season? Potentially get NBA looks if his offensive game rounds out and he becomes even more dominant on defense?

Many would agree he hasn't reached his fullest potential, he's only been playing the game since he was a teenager. There is still a lot room for development with Vashil. If he does come back and continue to get drastically better he may get some NBA looks.

Will he be the next Dikembe Mutumbo? Probably not but who knows.

wh

Quote from: IndyValpo on July 21, 2015, 06:42:14 AM
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/07/19/fort-wayne-carroll-junior-kyle-mallers-has-interest--number--programs/30386675/

Valpo pushing hard for Brachen Hazen

Nice to see a 2016 recruiting post on the 2016 recruiting thread.  ;)

All four Valparaiso coaches allowed on the road for the evaluation period were front and center on Sunday at the Best of the Midwest for Brachen Hazen, a 6-8 forward from Columbia City. Hazen has set an official visit for Central Florida the weekend of Sept. 3-5.

covufan

Quote from: wh on July 21, 2015, 09:53:35 AMNice to see a 2016 recruiting post on the 2016 recruiting thread. 
:thumbsup: