• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2016

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, July 16, 2014, 01:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: covufan on July 21, 2015, 12:47:34 PM
Quote from: wh on July 21, 2015, 09:53:35 AMNice to see a 2016 recruiting post on the 2016 recruiting thread. 
:thumbsup:
Would be nice to see some offers for the class of 2016.  According to Verbal Commits, we don't have any offers out there for 2016:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/valparaiso

We do have one offer for 2017 - Kobe King.

agibson

Quote from: wh on July 21, 2015, 09:53:35 AMNice to see a 2016 recruiting post on the 2016 recruiting thread.  ;)

Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I'd think people would appreciate _any_ activity this deep into the off-season!

VULB#62

Quote from: covufan on July 21, 2015, 01:35:46 PM
Quote from: covufan on July 21, 2015, 12:47:34 PM
Quote from: wh on July 21, 2015, 09:53:35 AMNice to see a 2016 recruiting post on the 2016 recruiting thread. 
:thumbsup:
Would be nice to see some offers for the class of 2016.  According to Verbal Commits, we don't have any offers out there for 2016:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/valparaiso

We do have one offer for 2017 - Kobe King.

Hazen is offered and has visited the campus once and wants to come back according to other press.

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 21, 2015, 02:45:31 PMHazen is offered and has visited the campus once and wants to come back according to other press.
Do you have the links?  The previous articles mentioned in this thread for Hazen have us "recruiting him hard", and "making a strong push", but no offer mentioned.  He has visited, but it appears not an official visit.  He is looking forward to another visit to Valpo.

It appears from verbal commits that Valpo keeps their offers close hold, and does not make multiple offers with a first to accept situation. 

VULB#62

Quote from: covufan on July 21, 2015, 03:01:31 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on July 21, 2015, 02:45:31 PMHazen is offered and has visited the campus once and wants to come back according to other press.
Do you have the links?  The previous articles mentioned in this thread for Hazen have us "recruiting him hard", and "making a strong push", but no offer mentioned.  He has visited, but it appears not an official visit.  He is looking forward to another visit to Valpo.

It appears from verbal commits that Valpo keeps their offers close hold, and does not make multiple offers with a first to accept situation.

Indy Star:
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/recruiting-central/2015/06/29/brachen-hazen-recruiting-basketball-indiana-2016/29478745/

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 21, 2015, 03:05:21 PM
Quote from: covufan on July 21, 2015, 03:01:31 PM

Indy Star:
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/recruiting-central/2015/06/29/brachen-hazen-recruiting-basketball-indiana-2016/29478745/
I found this other indystar article as well:

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/recruiting-class-of-2016-basketball-rankings

Odd that none of the tweets about Hazen have the Valpo offer. 

Pgmado

It's fair to say that Hazen is one of Valpo's top priorities.

VULB#62

Ranked #7 in the state. 6' 8" as a junior -- might have some growth left in him.

St. Joseph's is listed as an offer -- Is that the Indiana St. Joe's or the Philly St. Joe's?  Big difference.  D-II vs. A-10.  With the possible exception of St. Joseph, all the rest are D-I.

motowntitan

I'm sorry guys, but you lack of offers reported on verbal commits is mind boggling at this point.  I know you are all set for next year, but even if Vashil comes back, that would leave you with four schollies for 2016, with no offers at this point.

Obviously Drew & co. know more than I do, but it is still confusing right now.

VULB#62

Me too. But in Drew we trust.     
BTW that's a play on what they do in. New England with Belichick and the Pats. And that has produced 4 SBs. 
Have faith that Drew and company know what they are doing,

My opinion:  Valpo is not going to send tons of players to the NBA.  But VU can expose good HS BB players to DI BB and possibly contracts in Europe (while granting a prestigious degree).  Our difference maker is the campus and the family concept that crosses all sports. Here's the point:  if you are truly good enough (like Bryce) they will find you. But in the meantime time Valpo offers an incredible 4 years of college experience. 

a3uge

Quote from: motowntitan on July 22, 2015, 07:25:11 PM
I'm sorry guys, but you lack of offers reported on verbal commits is mind boggling at this point.  I know you are all set for next year, but even if Vashil comes back, that would leave you with four schollies for 2016, with no offers at this point.

See last year:

Quote from: motowntitan on October 02, 2014, 06:34:25 PM
Valparaiso
2014: 9-7 Horizon (4th); 18-16 overall (CIT)

Another option for Drew is to play Nickerson (or Hammink, if he's eligible) at the 2-guard position, but neither of them are particularly good ball handlers and given the quality of defensive guard play around the league, this could be a problem. In fact, Nickerson is probably going to have to play some guard – the other options off the bench are freshmen Tevonn Walker and Max Joseph, teammates last season at Vanier College (HS) in Montreal. Neither player appeared to be on the radar of the U.S. recruiting scene, so it's tough to tell if Drew signed these two in desperation during a bad recruiting year, or if he stole a march on the competition. The truth is likely in between. Whatever, when signed neither player was expected to play major minutes in 2014-15.

I'll take another desperate Tevonn Walker signing.

vu72

Quote from: a3uge on July 22, 2015, 09:31:32 PM
Quote from: motowntitan on July 22, 2015, 07:25:11 PM

See last year:

Quote from: motowntitan on October 02, 2014, 06:34:25 PM
Valparaiso
2014: 9-7 Horizon (4th); 18-16 overall (CIT)

Another option for Drew is to play Nickerson (or Hammink, if he's eligible) at the 2-guard position, but neither of them are particularly good ball handlers and given the quality of defensive guard play around the league, this could be a problem. In fact, Nickerson is probably going to have to play some guard – the other options off the bench are freshmen Tevonn Walker and Max Joseph, teammates last season at Vanier College (HS) in Montreal. Neither player appeared to be on the radar of the U.S. recruiting scene, so it's tough to tell if Drew signed these two in desperation during a bad recruiting year, or if he stole a march on the competition. The truth is likely in between. Whatever, when signed neither player was expected to play major minutes in 2014-15.

I'll take another desperate Tevonn Walker signing.

A great find. Really hysterical.  Is there any team in the Horizon who could claim finding a guy like Tevonn??  In Drew We Trust!!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

motowntitan

a3uge,

Not sure what you did there, but that first quote is mine.  The second, I believe, is from Commishs' preview.  If it is from me, I was quoting another source, as I didn't write any preview with that much detail.

a3uge

Quote from: motowntitan on July 22, 2015, 10:01:09 PM
a3uge,

Not sure what you did there, but that first quote is mine.  The second, I believe, is from Commishs' preview.  If it is from me, I was quoting another source, as I didn't write any preview with that much detail.

Yeah, sorry, didn't realize that - I guess it was Commishs'es predictions that you pasted, and you are a completely different entity.

[emoji16]

covufan

Quote from: Pgmado on July 21, 2015, 04:02:27 PM
Hazen has picked up scholarship offers from Richmond and Maryland.  Our job of keeping Hazen as one of Valpo's top priorities just got more difficult!

covufan

Quote from: covufan on July 30, 2015, 03:57:40 PM
Hazen has picked up scholarship offers from Richmond and Maryland.  Our job of keeping Hazen as one of Valpo's top priorities just got more difficult!

http://www.indystar.com/story/recruiting-central/2015/07/29/columbia-citys-brachen-hazen-picks-up-offer-from-maryland-richmond-damien-jefferson-has-new-mexico-leader/30863971/

covufan

Quote from: covufan on July 30, 2015, 03:57:40 PM
And now Clemson! 

http://verbalcommits.com/players/brachen-hazen

vufan75

According to a tweet tonight I saw from Roy Schmidt of Illinois Prep Bullseye, 2016 6'4" PG Zion Morgan rec'd scholly offer from Valpo. Searched and found a little more info. Recruit on unofficial visit today. Chicago Public League player in Chicago.

valpopal

Though not for 2016, hearing Bryce will look to recruit another son of a former NBA player.

Pgmado

LaPhonso Ellis' kid. He's going into his sophomore year. Valpo was his first D1 offer.

wh

Quote from: vufan75 on August 06, 2015, 09:37:54 PM
According to a tweet tonight I saw from Roy Schmidt of Illinois Prep Bullseye, 2016 6'4" PG Zion Morgan rec'd scholly offer from Valpo. Searched and found a little more info. Recruit on unofficial visit today. Chicago Public League player in Chicago.

[tweet]629473547556155392[/tweet]

covufan

Quote from: Pgmado on August 06, 2015, 10:11:43 PM
LaPhonso Ellis' kid. He's going into his sophomore year. Valpo was his first D1 offer.
Hmmm.  Time to revisit the Ellis-Drew relationship?

covufan

Quote from: wh on August 06, 2015, 11:26:04 PM
Quote from: vufan75 on August 06, 2015, 09:37:54 PM

[tweet]629473547556155392[/tweet]

Yes!  Our first Class of 2016 recruit!

http://verbalcommits.com/players/zion-morgan

Didn't find anything about him on ESPN or Rivals.

a3uge

https://youtu.be/Uf4hEzW6QCE

Looks like he has some good size, athleticism. Shot looks a bit ugly.

zvillehaze

Valpo is mentioned as having interest in Kieran Hayward, a 2016 guard from Australia.

http://ausahoops.com/kieran-hayward-proves-hes-the-real-deal/