• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball 2015-2016

Started by IndyValpo, November 09, 2015, 10:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

Quote from: vu72 on December 03, 2015, 08:32:26 AM
Quote from: jack on December 03, 2015, 08:02:52 AM
I agree, this was a bad loss. This should have been the one game to show some improvement and get on the right track. This isn't a squad that can get down big and dig back out. That seems to be the theme now. The one stat that stands out to me: Our center played 27 minutes and pulled down 1 board, and put up 3 pts at the stripe. Granted, she was credited with 6 blocks, but she must be counted on for more boards and more points. As I said before, we just don't have a coach on staff that knows how to work with the bigs.
Off to Kentucky. Need to see improvement. 

I watched most of the game as well.  Not sure you can say they can't dig out of a hole when they were down by 17 and lost by 3.  The second half we played much more aggressive.  Linfor will be a very good player as she continues to develop skills.  I certainly agree on the rebounding.  They seemed bigger then us, not sure if that was true.

They were able to claw back against a mediocre team like the Redhawks, and still came up short. Get down that far against better teams like the ones we face in conference, and I don't see it happening. At 0 and 5 and heading to Kentucky, this coaching staff has to consider some changes in philosophy. What they are doing hasn't worked for several years now. It's tough to compete with anyone if your team has lost confidence in what you're trying to do.

vu72

Quote from: jack on December 03, 2015, 11:34:44 AM
Quote from: vu72 on December 03, 2015, 08:32:26 AM
Quote from: jack on December 03, 2015, 08:02:52 AM
I agree, this was a bad loss. This should have been the one game to show some improvement and get on the right track. This isn't a squad that can get down big and dig back out. That seems to be the theme now. The one stat that stands out to me: Our center played 27 minutes and pulled down 1 board, and put up 3 pts at the stripe. Granted, she was credited with 6 blocks, but she must be counted on for more boards and more points. As I said before, we just don't have a coach on staff that knows how to work with the bigs.
Off to Kentucky. Need to see improvement. 

I watched most of the game as well.  Not sure you can say they can't dig out of a hole when they were down by 17 and lost by 3.  The second half we played much more aggressive.  Linfor will be a very good player as she continues to develop skills.  I certainly agree on the rebounding.  They seemed bigger then us, not sure if that was true.

They were able to claw back against a mediocre team like the Redhawks, and still came up short. Get down that far against better teams like the ones we face in conference, and I don't see it happening. At 0 and 5 and heading to Kentucky, this coaching staff has to consider some changes in philosophy. What they are doing hasn't worked for several years now. It's tough to compete with anyone if your team has lost confidence in what you're trying to do.

This is way out of my knowledge base, but Miami has beaten Evansville, Austin Peay and Morehead among others prior to beating us.  That could still make them mediocre, I just don't know.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Vinny

Looks like the women's basketball program is in the same state as football. Young, inexperienced, a couple of playmakers, but not getting results. Yet, at least.   

valpo4life

The past three games this team has looked very good at times, and very bad at times. Just a matter of putting a full 40 minutes together. Dorow finally has a point guard capable of playing to her preferred style. They're very young and running a completely new offense so you would think we can expect improvement as everyone gets more comfortable with what they're doing. Need to get off to better starts. Defensive intensity needs to stay at the level of the second half against Miami, the guards can get after it on the perimeter more this year due to improved depth and having a 6'4" girl in the center to protect the paint. Schedule hasn't exactly been light so far. One more loss coming up against Louisville then a chance for 5 straight wins (3 non D1) before conference play. We'll see how it plays out but there's no question this year's team is much better than last.

*Yes I realize there was no flow to that post, just throwing out random thoughts

bbtds

Quote from: valpo4life on December 04, 2015, 10:01:57 AM
*Yes I realize there was no flow to that post, just throwing out random thoughts

It appears that is also the way this coaching staff is running the team at the moment.

vu72

Wow!  Watched the entire game and now can say that we are one of the best teams IN THE ENTIRE NATION!!!!!! (NAIA Div II)  ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

Squeaked by Cardinal Stritch?  Embarrassing.

r85851

I think that some schools schedule others for $$ i have heard we paid Purdue Calumet to play us.  One of the players father I know personally and he called me about it and told me the amount his daughter received for her tuition in playing that game.  So I'm assuming ND and Louisville pay us to play them.  Not sure where that $ went but I can guess.   

IndyValpo

Well if we were playing in the NAIA we would be getting somewhere with two wins and a third coming. Unfortunately we play D1. All teams in the Horizon currently have winning records except for us.

jack

So are we recruiting NAIA players, or are we competing at the D1 level with NAIA coaches?

VULB#62

File under "Interesting."

For the first time in as long a time as I can remember, the Torch is questioning coaching decisions -- in this case, the WBB program (Dateline: December 11).  The headline is Women's basketball should start Franklin.  This is in reference to Dani Franklin who was last year's HL Freshman of the year, All-Freshman team and the HL's 6th player of the year.  The writer seems to make a strong case.

http://www.valpotorch.com/sports/article_fdeb6172-a083-11e5-b296-0b24c5bf278d.html

Thoughts?

Incidentally, the article proposes a starting lineup of  Schaub (G, 5-5), Dean (G, 5-10) , Franklin (F, 6-1), Walker (F, 5-10), Lindfors (C, 6'4).  That's pretty good size, isn't it?  Understanding that there are many other variables that have to be taken into account to measure competitiveness, can this line-up, first of all, match up in raw talent with other HL teams?

covufan

Quote from: VULB#62 on December 16, 2015, 02:21:37 PM
File under "Interesting."

For the first time in as long a time as I can remember, the Torch is questioning coaching decisions -- in this case, the WBB program (Dateline: December 11).  The headline is Women's basketball should start Franklin.  This is in reference to Dani Franklin who was last year's HL Freshman of the year, All-Freshman team and the HL's 6th player of the year.  The writer seems to make a strong case.

http://www.valpotorch.com/sports/article_fdeb6172-a083-11e5-b296-0b24c5bf278d.html

Thoughts?

Incidentally, the article proposes a starting lineup of  Schaub (G, 5-5), Dean (G, 5-10) , Franklin (F, 6-1), Walker (F, 5-10), Lindfors (C, 6'4).  That's pretty good size, isn't it?  Understanding that there are many other variables that have to be taken into account to measure competitiveness, can this line-up, first of all, match up in raw talent with other HL teams?
I would agree that the coaches need to look at not only the starting lineup, but matchups and how well certain groups do when they are on the floor.  We've had the same starting five for every game - how is that working for you?  Whether Franklin is a starter or comes off the bench, she needs more minutes. 

This team might not get to the same 2 HL wins as last year.  If so, ml may need to assess the current situation and see if ND has an assistant that would like to start a program from scratch. 

Vinny

When you factor in total compensation (salary + benefits + earnings from camps), all but the third assistant at ND makes considerably more than Dorrow.

But back to the original point, yes, when you're 2-7, changes should be made - although Franklin's numbers are down quite a bit from last year.

jack

After realizing her potential last season, I didn't think it made sense not to start her then. She may have been further along defensively if they had. I just don't see the changes being made that need to be, for this team to have success. We can't continue down the same path as last year and hope for the best, while those in our conference seem to be getting better.

valporun

We're young, lack true experience at the college level from a good majority of the roster, and have more role players that are in the wrong roles than we have the players who can step out of a comfort zone and take control when someone HAS to do it. From what I've seen, we don't have a player on the roster who can take the game on their shoulders and run it with the confidence needed to lead. It feels too much like the floor general is wearing heals and a skirt with her arms crossed watching the action, rather than being one of the players in the gold or white with squeaky basketball shoes and a pony tail. I haven't found anyone on this roster that could do that. Sure, we have a point guard that is supposed to be the floor general, but does she really have the attitude on the court to get the others under her nails and gritting out victories?

valpotx

The Valpo teams of 2002-2003 and 2003-2004 would beat the recent women's teams of the last 6-7 years by 20+.  It is sad to see the state of a program that was pretty good.
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

from the Valpo site....as we pulled off the rare double header victory

Defense, Rebounding Drive Valpo to Win over SIU-Edwardsville

Saturday, December 19, 2015

One of Valpo's best defensive efforts of the calendar year resulted in a 69-56 win over visiting SIU-Edwardsville Saturday afternoon at the Athletics-Recreation Center.

Abby Dean (Carmel, Ind./Carmel), Dani Franklin (Cedar Rapids, Iowa/George Washington), and Meredith Hamlet (McBain, Mich./McBain) all scored in double figures, but the Crusaders held the Cougars to just 36 points over the game's final 30 minutes.

In addition to a season-high 15 points, Dean squeezed a career-best eight boards. Valpo enjoyed a 50-31 rebounding margin, its deepest surplus since outboarding Purdue Calumet by 27 on December 30th, 2014.

The Brown and Gold spotted SIUE ten points out of the gate. The Cougars' Sydney Bauman knocked down an eight-footer to cap the 10-0 game-opening surge.

Franklin put an end to that with a layup on a nice feed from Lexi Miller (Caledonia, Mich./Caledonia). The sophomore posted five first-quarter points as the Crusaders cut the deficit to seven points after the opening period.

Five different Crusaders recorded points in the second quarter as SIUE's 10-point advantage vanished in favor of a 29-29 tie at the 2:30 mark. Fittingly, Amber Lindfors (Elk Grove Village, Ill./Elk Grove) connected on a pair of free throws with three seconds on the clock to give Valpo a 33-32 halftime lead. The Crusaders outscored the Cougars 12-2 in the paint in the second quarter.

Franklin was 5-for-5 from the floor in the first half. Her 12 points represented a game high at that juncture.

Valpo's lead ballooned to ten points at the completion of the third stanza. Imani Scott-Thompson (Akron, Ohio/Firestone [Dakota College at Bottineau]) knocked down a pair of treys in the midst of a 13-4 run.

SIU-Edwardsville was unable to make it a two-possession game down the stretch thanks in part to a staunch rebounding push from the Crusaders. The Cougars logged just five second-chance points the entire contest. SIUE did, however, snag 16 steals. Valpo committed 26 turnovers, its most since Notre Dame forced 32 back on November 23rd.

Shronda Butts led SIUE with 22 points, seven assists, and five rebounds. The Cougars connected on five of their ten first-half attempts from three-point range, but drew iron on all ten of their tries after halftime.

The 56 points surrendered is the fewest in a game by Valpo since allowing 50 to Northern Illinois in DeKalb last November.

The Crusaders (3-7) will shoot for their third straight win Monday evening. IU-Kokomo (4-7) visits the ARC for a 7:00 pm CT tilt. WVUR (95.1 FM, Valparaiso) and ESPN3 will carry the action while live stats will also be available. Links to all three are up at ValpoAthletics.com. 

valporun

After tonight's game, to quote the legendary Lou Brown, "This is what they call a WINNING STREAK!" (Of course, this was from the movie Major League.) I have some Valpo basketball games to catch up on, as work schedules have conflicted with game watching lately, but glad to see the women are turning a corner in play.

bbtds

"Our goal was to do what we do well," Valparaiso coach Tracey Dorow said. "We did the things that we were supposed to do."

Sounds somewhat like Dennis Green when he was coaching the NFL Cardinals or someone who doesn't know how to react to winning for fear of jinxing it.

IndyValpo

Beating IUK in Women's basketball is similar to beating the College of Faith in football (except the game counts, though not for RPI). They only had 6 players. Now the serious stuff begins......

I was hoping that Georgi Donchetz would get to score but she did not play.

valporun

Georgi didn't play due to a family funeral. I missed which family member passed, but she left to be home with family. Prayers to her and the family during this time.

RS

Congratulations to VU women winning their 4th straight game 61-60 at N. Kentucky.  Very physical game. 29 points from Meredith Hamlet to lead the way.  N. Kentucky had been 8-3 with a RPI of 140.  Big win for the women on the road.

IndyValpo

Hamlet was fantastic.

The end of the game was one for the books. We run the home run play with about 5 seconds to go. Dorow calls timeout immediately thinking Walker was going fall out of bounds...mistake #1. With 3.5 left we in bounds towards their basket..mistake #2. The pass was to no one in particular and as a NKU player was diving for the ball just past half court we foul her...mistake #3. In probably the worst call in the history of basketball the refs call the foul a player control foul no free throws....never seen that call before. To make up for that atrocitiy they add 1.2 to the clock. We do not put our 6-4 center in to make the throw in from just inside half court difficult...mistake #4. They run a perfect play for a wide open layup...mistake #5.

They miss the layup we win.

StlVUFan

I wondered what the hell that timeout was for.  Your suggestion is the only explanation that makes sense to me.  I'm thinking, all she has to do is hold on to the ball - why do you need a timeout there.

I thought player control fouls *were* FTs if you're in the bonus.  Shows how little I know ;)

valpotx

This is a good win for the program.  It definitely helped to have the 3 non-D1 games for the women this year, as they seem to have found their shooting touch since those games.  We were shooting a horrific percentage from 2 and 3 before those games, and it seems that the confidence has carried through to the games that matter.  Whereas we would be complaining about the non-D1 games for the men, it makes perfect sense with a program that is needing to right itself.  Congrats ladies, and I hope that this is a turning point for the team.
"Don't mess with Texas"