• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NIT

Started by valpotx, March 08, 2016, 12:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Let's kill all talk of an at-large, by speaking about the NIT.  What seed should we expect?  Hopefully our guys come ready to play this time, rather than the big letdown at Miami a few seasons back.  If we can get a few quality wins in this tournament, it could help recruiting.  Not as much as the NCAA would have, but it can't hurt to put up a banner with a deep NIT run.
"Don't mess with Texas"

nkvu

I have to think it will be tough to motivate this team to play in the NIT after all the expectations and hype for a run in the NCAAs.  Seriously I don't think I've bothered watching an NIT game since the last time Valpo was in it.  It will be a challenge to motivate the kids. But that's what coaches are for, right?  And a win or two in the NIT is better than playing in one of the other alphabet tournaments or not playing at all I suppose.

valpopal

Peering past the darkness of defeat in Detroit, on the bright side an NIT appearance means a home game for fans to watch this team in person again perhaps against an interesting opponent. In addition, there is motivation for the team to do well and possibly get to play in New York at Madison Square Garden.

hailcrusaders

No offense to any of you all. I'm all for supporting the team in whatever tournament they play in.

But I hate that this thread exists.
#CrusadersForever

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on March 08, 2016, 12:52:05 AM
Peering past the darkness of defeat in Detroit, on the bright side an NIT appearance means a home game for fans to watch this team in person again perhaps against an interesting opponent. In addition, there is motivation for the team to do well and possibly get to play in New York at Madison Square Garden.

It also sets up the chance for a last second loss to a team such as Columbia which further instills a "what could have been" disappointment that many of us are feeling at this time. Wow! I'm just feeling debby downer at this time so bad.

oklahomamick

vs Top 50: Hofstra 1-0, Monmouth 2-2, Valpo 1-1, Wichita St. 1-3. Vs Top 100: Hofstra 6-3, Monmouth 4-3. Valpo 4-2, Wichita St 4-7.

Why is everyone on Wichita St. at-large band wagon?
CRUSADERS!!!

covufan

The slate has been wiped clean.  This is a fifth season for the seniors, and everyone needs to buy in to getting the seniors to NY City!  They can do this!

vu72

Quote from: covufan on March 08, 2016, 10:25:40 AM
The slate has been wiped clean.  This is a fifth season for the seniors, and everyone needs to buy in to getting the seniors to NY City!  They can do this!

Agreed. I was vomiting last night like the rest of us.  The NIT still gets plenty of TV and press coverage.  Several regular season winners have lost in tournament play and there will be a bunch of Power 5 teams in the field.  Not sure about a home game, this isn't the CBI or CIT.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

I'm sure Bryce has talked to Scott, who has done well in his last two NITs.  The team needs to join together and get to NY.

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on March 08, 2016, 10:53:38 AM

Agreed. I was vomiting last night like the rest of us.  The NIT still gets plenty of TV and press coverage.  Several regular season winners have lost in tournament play and there will be a bunch of Power 5 teams in the field.  Not sure about a home game, this isn't the CBI or CIT.
I believe that the NIT is seeded like the NCAA.  We could theoretically be seeded as a #1 or #2. I think the better seeds host.

valpotx

While I fully understand that some might not like that this thread exists, it is our reality.  It is extremely unlikely that the many teams in front of us on most prognosticator's 'bubble watch,' all lose early games in their conference tournament.  We at least have a better RPI/SOS than Monmouth now, but Wichita State has that recent history with NCAA tournament success, that some seem to factor in. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: IndyValpo on March 08, 2016, 11:32:25 AM
Quote from: vu72 on March 08, 2016, 10:53:38 AM

I believe that the NIT is seeded like the NCAA.  We could theoretically be seeded as a #1 or #2. I think the better seeds host.

My understanding is that Valpo already has been guaranteed a home game if they slip to the NIT.

Kyle321n

It's not as fun as Lunardi, but BigAppleBuckets does a pretty good job with NIT bracket coverage. They have us at... last 8 teams IN the the NCAA Tourney. Monmouth is out of the NCAA and a 1 seed. So it looks like anything less than a 2 seed in the NIT would be a slight (as it stands right now)
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

VUSWIM08-12

We have to be optimistic because why not?

Here is why Valpo deserves an at large bid. No bad losses. Worst loss is to Ball State who turned out to a bit better than even the MAC expected.  Valpo played very well in the OOC with wins at Rhode Island, and Oregon State. Monmouth lost to 3 teams above 200 RPI. Wichita St. had an injury much like Valpo and even though they didn't have any bad losses they are only 4-7 against top 100 RPI teams where Valpo is 3-2. The shockers SOS is better than Valpo's and Valpo's is better than Monmouth's. I don't know the inner workings of scheduling but from what I hear no one would schedule Valpo because there was a lot hype surrounding the program. I believe we did just enough to get in. Optimistic prediction:  Valpo and Wichita St. in, Monmouth out.  Am I right? Not likely, but definitely possible!

a3uge

We were included in a handful of brackets on bracketmatrix - which was nice to see. Wouldn't hold my breath. I guess if Oregon State wins the Pac12, St Mary's the WCC, a bunch of the decent a10 and aac teams lose early, Temple becomes ineligible for recruiting violations... Ugh, my head hurts.

Kyle321n

Quote from: a3uge on March 08, 2016, 12:26:04 PM
We were included in a handful of brackets on bracketmatrix - which was nice to see. Wouldn't hold my breath. I guess if Oregon State wins the Pac12, St Mary's the WCC, a bunch of the decent a10 and aac teams lose early, Temple becomes ineligible for recruiting violations... Ugh, my head hurts.

C'mon 8 more teams having Louisville scandals! Is there a coach who could potentially pull a Chicago Sunroof?
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

crusadermoe

Tough lesson learned in Detroit.  But next season starts today in my mind.   

I have a sense we will have a bit less combined talent next year, but the pieces may fit better as a whole.    Skara reminded me in Detroit why he was so helpul and versatile.   TeVonn is simply the second best player and maybe best athlete on the team.  Has great instincts and toughness as well as skill.   

Yes, we lose a great point guard in Keith, but maybe Smits can replace Vashil as rim protector (and possibly be a better passer out of the post),   Nickerson and Darien had some great moments, but ultimately it got crowded for them with Shane in the mix and the timing seemed off kilter.   Every possession seemed to have 2 or 3 hesitations to shoot or to pass.  No rhythm.

I'm ready for next year already.   NIT is icing on the cake. 

VULB#62

I concur about the potential for next year with Smits added into the equation.  If Derrik gives us 50% of what Vashil gave us on defense near the hole, and he also brings his much softer hands and better shooting both near the basket and from 15' , overall, next year's team will have a generally improved offense along with a pretty darned good D. 

I also watched the minutes played by our opponents throughout the season, because I was curious about rotations.  We, many times, went 9 deep while opponents generally stayed around 7 or 7.5 deep.  Unlike Valpo that was not only rotating lots of players but also rotating their positions as well, most opponents played a pretty pat standard lineup and subs actually functioned as subs in designated roles (granted, this is a generality unsupported by stats -- just basic eyeballing).  Next year, the "need" to get a lot of players enough minutes will not be an issue.  The lineup can be locked in and roles more narrowly defined.  That adds to stability and consistency and provides a platform for continuous improvement throughout the season -- a lack of which was noted by numerous other posters.

covufan

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 08, 2016, 12:39:39 PMIs there a coach who could potentially pull a Chicago Sunroof?
Yeah, but Cleveland State fired him years ago...

Better Call Saul

ValpoHoops

Reports that I have heard from the basketball offices are that the program is pushing extremely hard for Keith to be granted another year.

That would be nice.

HC

Whatever Smits can give us in his time here may be a bonus.  Wasn't he injured in high school and then again this year?  I just hope he isn't an injury plagued big guy.

Getting Keith back would be pretty fantastic.

humbleopinion

Our newcomer Micah is reported to bring solid shooting skills.  I hope he'll be able to contribute already next year.
Beamin' Beacons

humbleopinion

Quote from: humbleopinion on March 08, 2016, 02:48:46 PM
Our newcomer, Micah, is reported to bring solid shooting skills.  I hope he'll be able to contribute already next year.
Beamin' Beacons

oklahomamick

don't want to sway from the NIT topic, but 1st priority should be a rim protector.  We have had good teams in the past but now have seen how much a shot blocker can put you over the top. 
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

USAToday still has us in the at large hunt despite our loss.  They've penciled in WSU as the AB at 15.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2016/03/08/ncaa-tournament-bracketology-bubble-teams-monmouth-wichita-state/81475146/