• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

If Bryce Goes???

Started by ValpoDad89, March 27, 2016, 08:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDad89

:'( I know we all shudder the thought but I was so happy to see bigger jobs getting filled, I was like BD is staying!!! But then I realized the dominoes of college hoop jobs only start and when the dominoes fall a job attractive to your coach may open up. Vandy is that job for Bryce. It fits him if he is a normal college coach and none of us could fault him. I only say "normal" because unlike Jamie Dixon who went to TCU, he went to Valpo and grew up there. he knows how much this team means to the area, he made a shot that CBSSPORTS is still talking about. He is a guy with the humility that Jesus Christ taught us. He is not different but I think his convictions may have been tested and agreed to somewhere else. Pure speculation on one man's part but when Roger Powell introduced to the crowd and student body (after the NIT win), I can only see him as the man. If Bryce is taking another job and if there was anyone ready and willing to take this job it would be Roger Powell.

Let the comments commence but I think this either's Matt's or Roger's hiring would have to be done. WE have an awesome team and these guys recruited them. There is no one out there that can coach us without being here. This is a special place and needs to be given to someone that knows the specialness of this program.

atkins

Roger would be a wonderful replacement, but let's hope it is not now!  Regardless, the continuity he would bring to the program is priceless.  If he leaves...Yikes!!

ValpoDad89

I agree on all fronts atkins. Being a DePaul fan and alum, I would have embraced him totally but being a Valpo fan now, part of me did not want him taking the job for selfish reasons. I see myself, with my coming here and daughter enrolled and at every game, a Valpo fan. I had a crush on this university when I came to games and met the fanbase, I then fell in love. When my daughter wanted to come here for a visit and shunned DePaul, I had no problem whatsoever. Why? Because this University instills Christian values (which is so far greater than any of us) that I grew up with and and DePaul no longer has. Her decision made me proud and as a result, through her, I am woven into the tapestry that is Valpo U!!!!

But we have to be prepared as a fanbase that at anypoint he could be gone. It is not fair to him either. What we can trust is that if he does go, he us prepared to succeed at any level. And leave a succession plan in place as well.

usc4valpo

Dad - could Ponsetto possibly be the worst AD in NCAA sports? What a joke and embarrassment to this university and Chicago college basketball.

HC

If Bryce were to leave they should just make me the coach since he's probably taking the whole group of coaches with him.

bbtds

Quote from: usc4valpo on March 28, 2016, 06:59:45 AM
Dad - could Ponsetto possibly be the worst AD in NCAA sports? What a joke and embarrassment to this university and Chicago college basketball.

According to Jimmy Lemke it's Braun!

How low can you go?

ValpoDad89

USC4Valpo, she is by FAR THE worst AD and has no clue. She gives a retirement package to a middling coach who never won a tournament game in ,ke 8 tries, in Purnell and paid him $2MM per annum. And then, with a beautiful, state of the art arena om the horizon, hires a retread like Dave Leitao. Howland, Hurley and our own Bryce had interest too. How much I don't know but she told all they had to Gsrrett senior on staff and he is a detriment as an assistant. And according to some, including this board, plus a guy I talk to at games who knows Homer well, when Bryce inquired about the faith aspect of the university, she shied away and said that is something we don't enforce or encourage. Good bye to 3 top notch candidates due to short sighted thinking. That's been her mantra but the administration and board of trustees love her so she continues wallowing a once proud program through the mud. But they're happy because they feed of the fruits of the rest of the BE as all revenue is shared equally. When that changes maybe they will change but it's too late for me. Valpo is now woven into the fabric of my DNA. WHILE De Paul maybe my alma mater. My cash comes here through my daughter so I adapted a greater university and basketball team.

historyman

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on March 29, 2016, 11:11:04 PMMy cash comes here through my daughter so I adapted a greater university and basketball team.

And this board certainly has adapted you!
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann