• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Our next head coach

Started by NativeCheesehead, April 02, 2016, 01:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

If few years means 10-15-20years? maybe. You never know. If he has success at Vandy (I think he will), I could see him pulling a Scott Drew (Baylor) type of run at that program. Vandy seems to be pretty loyal to their basketball coaches if they have some success. Kevin Stallings was the head coach there for 17 years! (1999-2016) But you never know how things shake out.

ProudValpoAlum705

So my wife mentioned this to me and it is really interesting at least on an Xs and Os end:

What about Billy Donlon? If we can retain Powell, Lottisch for recruiting, Donlon is a damn good coach.

Very interesting idea to entertain.
Hail Crusaders! Who rise to glory, Our challenge has been hurled. Team Victorious, our colors glorious Are known throughout the world, Valparaiso, we're here to back you, Our cheers like thunder roar. See our school, our team, See our colors gleam. Let's fight for the Brown and Gold!

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on April 04, 2016, 02:36:16 PM
Quote from: Valpo89 on April 04, 2016, 01:22:54 PM
It would NOT be too big of a transition for Tonagel. He knows the school, he knows the league. He can recruit.

If he's interested and gets the job, I'd say a great assistant for him would be Chris Artis. He's a VU guy with Chicago connections and actually coached David Skara in his one year at a local prep school. Skara would put in a good word for him with the players. The players would love Tonagel.

(1) Yes he can. At the NAIA D2 level.  My guess is that the kids he gets are very strong Christians who want a small school, very religious environment.  Hoe many were/are D1 material?  Maybe 1 or 2?  Granted Bryce was great at recruiting Christian kids but, with the expectation of playing D1 basketball for (2) a guy who played for the Bulls.  Not sure Greg's success carries over to Valpo.  I would think Powell might be a better choice.

Remember, (1) Greg played D-I basketball for Homer for 6 years (he was granted two extra years of eligibility due to redshirting or something ). He then was MBB Director of Basketball Operations at VU before going to IWU.  In that time I'll bet he got a great education on D-I recruiting-- might even have had to back off some going down to IWU. And (2) Greg has two national championships under his belt - Bryce never won a NCAA post season game nor a non-NCAA post season championship. That against being a pro player could be a wash in terms of recruiting appeal.

Kyle321n

Quote from: ProudValpoAlum705 on April 04, 2016, 02:53:57 PM
So my wife mentioned this to me and it is really interesting at least on an Xs and Os end:

What about Billy Donlon? If we can retain Powell, Lottisch for recruiting, Donlon is a damn good coach.

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

VU2014

Billy Donlon is a great x's and o's coach but just didn't get the job done recruiting. And I don't think see Powell or Lottisch staying unless Powell gets the job. Plus Lottich took a salary cut just to be a coach under Bryce and learn, so see him following Bryce to Vandy and getting a nice pay raise and for Powell, I don't think he'll stay unless he gets the HC job. Plus Donlon would want his own assistants. I don't think they have any connection. I don't see Donlon getting the job. But you never know.

Valpo89

Quote from: VU2014 on April 04, 2016, 02:42:23 PM

Any outside the box candidates without program ties if AD Mark LaBarbera decides to go that route that people would like to get interviews?

Dan Dakich

VU2014

Dan Dakich would be a lot of fun as a HC but I don't see it. He's said multiple times he's done with coaching because its too much work. He has a sweet gig with ESPN. I know he's from Indiana but I think probably makes slightly less then what Bryce was getting paid to just talk about basketball instead of having to do all the coaching and grind of recruiting. 

hailcrusaders

Quote from: VU2014 on April 04, 2016, 02:42:23 PMSeems like everyone is limiting the coaching search to Powell, Tonagel, and Gore, for obvious reasons. Any outside the box candidates without program ties if AD Mark LaBarbera decides to go that route that people would like to get interviews?

Bryce and Scott's sister
#CrusadersForever

VU2014

"There also remains the question of Alec Peters. The star junior is set to graduate this spring and will likely have a long line of suitors vying for his services. Graduate students can transfer and have immediate eligibility." -Paul Oren

I didn't know he was already graduating this Fall.... makes me a little more nervous about a grad transfer.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/college/sources-valpo-men-s-coach-bryce-drew-to-leave-for/article_467c2328-ab49-5dd4-8b94-634d4739f49c.html

valpotx

I will say that if he even considers a Butler transfer, he will be dead to me :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

One interesting question in all this that we'll never know...who's actually making this decision?  One of the Marks? A "Search Committee"? I imagine it'll be a collaboration but I would think the final call would be the Prez. 

a3uge

Quote from: ProudValpoAlum705 on April 04, 2016, 02:53:57 PM

So Valpo can be a perennial 150 RPI team with bad recruiting and the world's most boring offense. Sign me up!

valpopal

When Roger Powell led the large prayer circle at center court after the final home game, and rumors of offers to Bryce were already circulating, I commented to those around me that we might be witnessing the symbolic passing of the baton from Drew to Powell. I wouldn't mind if that were to come true.

valpo84

Outside the box but in the family if we are doing interviews -- Chris Ensminger.

I believe Roger Powell is ready and should be the #1 option, but I haven't been called for my opinion.

Fred Hoiberg also might be available soon.  Actually, if he were interested David Blatt!

"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VUOR63

Geno Auriema. He's done enough at UConn.  Time to coach men.

a3uge

Dane Fife might be worth a look - Michigan State's done enough damage poaching the league's players, so how about an assistant?

valpo84

Dane Fife -- NO. Was a head coach at IPFW. Now an assistant.  Johnny Dawkins would be a better selection.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on April 04, 2016, 03:33:55 PM
When Roger Powell led the large prayer circle at center court after the final home game, and rumors of offers to Bryce were already circulating, I commented to those around me that we might be witnessing the symbolic passing of the baton from Drew to Powell. I wouldn't mind if that were to come true.

Having mentioned my preference for Powell, an out-of-the-box candidate would be Brian Gregory, who served as an assistant to Izzo at Michigan State, coached Dayton to the NCAA a couple of times and won the NIT over North Carolina with Dayton, coached Georgia Tech in the NIT this year, and is from the area (Mt. Prospect, IL). On the other hand, he was a point guard at Oakland. 

covufan

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on April 04, 2016, 12:13:26 PM
I believe it's considered bad form to take players with you to a new school. Or at least it used to be. Can't remember a situation where it's happened recently.
Someone followed Bobby Hurley to ASU last year.

crusaderjoe

You want outside the box?  OK, here goes.  Woo Danny Kaspar away from Texas State.

oklahomamick

Package deal, Mike Davis at Southern and Derrick Griffin
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo64

Info...Dan D went to the same high school as our Nick Davidson, Gary Andrean

HinsdaleVUguy

this one is clear cut...roger powell, jr has to be our next coach. he has a similar "bryce-like" presence and is a tireless recruiter. he's right up there w bryce drew as far as being able to wow families on the recruiting trail with his character alone. not to mention, the continuity aspect of keeping powell on as the head coach. this day was inevitable we are lucky to have a guy like roger available.

ValpoFan

If we want any chance of a sense of continuity, it has to be Powell. Anyone else, no matter how great they are will basically be a rebuild job.