• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where is Peters next season?

Started by bsmith21, April 06, 2016, 09:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsmith21

I know we have all been talking about it in various threads here seem to be the most popular thoughts

Where is Peters next season?
1. Valpo
2. Vandy
3. Michigan State
4. Butler
5. Somewhere else

I personally think he will go with option 5 but 1 or 2 wouldn't surprise me

vufan75

Butler I would say no. He turned them down along with others to come to Valpo 3+ years ago. Why go there now. If leaving he can go higher up the chain than BU. Watch out for VU poacher and new HOF Coach Izzo. :)

valpotx

Somewhere else.  I assume that Bryce will be able to keep the majority of Vandy's team together.  They already have several solid SG/SF/PF on their roster that should be coming back.  Though Peters would be better than many, Bryce could do some trust damage with his new team, if he brings in one of 'his guys' to be their new top guy.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpospartan

Quote from: vufan75 on April 06, 2016, 09:52:47 PM
Butler I would say no. He turned them down along with others to come to Valpo 3+ years ago. Why go there now. If leaving he can go higher up the chain than BU. Watch out for VU poacher and new HOF Coach Izzo. :)
Poacher? This doesn't sound like a poacher:
https://winninghoops.com/pages/Breaking-News---Izzo-Is-Against-Graduate-Transfer-Rule.php

ValpoFan

FWIW, according to my sources (students who are classmates of Alec), it is either NBA or Valpo.

usc4valpo

If he has a degree by spring, why not go a graduate school that specializes in his educational pursuit? He is far form being NBA ready.

VULB#62

Quote from: usc4valpo on April 07, 2016, 06:46:22 AM
If he has a degree by spring, why not go a graduate school that specializes in his educational pursuit? He is far form being NBA ready.

I believe its Sports Management and Administration and Valpo has a strong graduate program in that regard.

classof2014

What's with all this negativity.... I know Bryce left, and we all knew it was coming. The only other place Alec goes next season would be the NBA and I am doubtful that happens. I don't see him at another university next season.

vufan75

Quote from: valpospartan on April 06, 2016, 10:21:49 PM
Quote from: vufan75 on April 06, 2016, 09:52:47 PM
Poacher? This doesn't sound like a poacher:
https://winninghoops.com/pages/Breaking-News---Izzo-Is-Against-Graduate-Transfer-Rule.php
I have much respect for Coach Izzo, MSU, and his accomplishments there. His team's play hard and he maximizes the players abilities and gets them peaking at the right time. He is also a heck of a recruiter. He manages games well and is a coach many look up to.

Having said all that, I will say actions speak louder than words. He may say he is against the grad transfer rules, but he has used the rule to his advantage. One could argue if "I" don't take this player some other coach will. Maybe that is accurate. The coaches association should fight to get the rule changed if they do not like the rule. I agree with Izzo when he said it will basically lead to recruiting happening on campus at universities, if I have accurately read his thoughts per the article.

valpotx

I hope you are correct.  However, the draw of the bigger lights gets many basketball players to change their mind, once they have months to think about it (this summer).  Peters does seem like someone that wants to prove everyone wrong by taking a mid-major to greater heights.  He can go many places and be the top star, but if everyone comes back to Vandy, I can't see him following Bryce.  He has the ability to be their top player, but it could potentially create some issues with the majority of the Vandy team that would be back, since he would be in the same position as most of the returners (SG/SF/PF).  The only guys currently leaving are a PG and two C's, and they have a redshirted C (from Haiti) that will be ready to step in for the big man position next season. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

There are a couple of open scholarship slots, right?  Might a deciding factor for Alec be how the next coach fills those slots for next season?  Just wondering......

..... and time is getting short to fill them.

NativeCheesehead

Coach K was very verbal against the One-and-Done rule too........

nkvu

As I recall Wood initiated the discussion about transferring and Homer contacted Izzo on Wood's behalf. I also recall Izzo expressing reluctance to Homer about taking his star and Homer responding that if the kid was going to transfer anyway than he (Homer) preferred that Wood went to Izzo. Does anyone else remember it this way, or have I just killed off so many brain cells over the years that my memory can't be trusted?  I don't follow Michigan State so I don't know if Izzo has had other graduate transfers since then.

FWalum

In the past, the men, women, and student athletes of the VU athletics department have made me extremely proud to be an alum.  They have comported themselves with dignity, honor and the Christian principles I hope and pray Valparaiso University will continue to instill in its students and graduates for decades to come.  Alec, Vashil, Jubril, and others have performed above expectations on both the hardwood and the classroom (I hope these events have not prevented Jubril from the honor bestow on him as a participant in the NCAA Student-Athlete Leadership Forum) and brought the best kinds of recognition to themselves and our university. While conference championships and NCAA tournament wins are great and VU should do all that it can so that our student athletes have the opportunities to succeed at the highest level, I am probably more proud when I hear announcers talk about Vashil's two masters degrees, watch an interview or press conference in which they articulate their values or see the student body prayer circle after the St. Mary's game. 

When the administration makes it's decision on the next HC and our young men make their decisions on the next phases in their mental, physical and spiritual development, I hope there is only support and no spiteful reactions to these decisions.  As O.P. said many years ago
QuoteWe have something to offer you which you can find nowhere else. Others may try to make men scientific; we must do that-and make them wise. Others may give men knowledge; we must give them that-and understanding. Others may try to make men useful; we must do that-and we must make them noble. We are not asking you to come to an ivory tower to escape from the realities of life or to a market-place where the voices and minds of men are confused by the immediate and material things of life. We are able to give you the fellowship of men and women whose respect for Truth is not vitiated by doubts concerning its reality and permanence. We are able to offer you a school which recognizes the supreme dignity and worth of the individual human being. We are committed to the principle that the destiny of a Christian University lies in the quality of the men and women who are graduated from its halls rather than in quantitative production. Our future lies in the development of men and women, perhaps relatively few in number, whose quality will be so high that they will exert an influence on society which cannot be measured in terms of numbers.
WISE, UNDERSTANDING and NOBLE - looking at this years team I would say mission accomplished. The future mission is to keep the foundation intact and the momentum going.

I am confident in the quality of our people and that they can and will continue to exert influence to the betterment of our school and society.

Now, when will those ARC renovations start...  ;D
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Dave_2010

The buzz I've heard is that Alec checked out shortly after the Green Bay loss...it was his impending departure that made it easier for Bryce to take a new job, as opposed to the common belief that Bryce leaving will impact Alec's decision.

As for where he plays, unless it's a school like Butler or ND (an obvious slap in the face) or Ohio State (my mistress vis a vis Valpo as a rooting interest) I'm not all that concerned. My guess is it won't be Valpo, any of the above schools, or the NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vu72

Quote from: nkvu on April 07, 2016, 10:01:31 AM
As I recall Wood initiated the discussion about transferring and Homer contacted Izzo on Wood's behalf. I also recall Izzo expressing reluctance to Homer about taking his star and Homer responding that if the kid was going to transfer anyway than he (Homer) preferred that Wood went to Izzo. Does anyone else remember it this way, or have I just killed off so many brain cells over the years that my memory can't be trusted?  I don't follow Michigan State so I don't know if Izzo has had other graduate transfers since then.

Try Bryn Forbes from Cleveland State.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

atkins

Quote from: Dave_2010 on April 07, 2016, 11:02:30 AM
The buzz I've heard is that Alec checked out shortly after the Green Bay loss...it was his impending departure that made it easier for Bryce to take a new job, as opposed to the common belief that Bryce leaving will impact Alec's decision.

As for where he plays, unless it's a school like Butler or ND (an obvious slap in the face) or Ohio State (my mistress vis a vis Valpo as a rooting interest) I'm not all that concerned. My guess is it won't be Valpo, any of the above schools, or the NBA.

I sure hope this is not true.  Alec does not seem like the kind of guy whose mind would wander away from his team, and Alec certainly played very well in the NIT tourney!  That said, I would not be surprised to Alec depart to a better program, where he will be surrounded by better players who will enable him to shine, nor would I be surprised to see a high-potential guy, such as Tevon, depart. 

At the time of his transfer, Wood was not of Alec's caliber in basketball.  Wood was a talented guard, but the pool of great NBA-potential guards is substantially greater than the pool of 6'9" good-shooting and good-rebounding forwards (even those, such as Alec, who are not overly adept at creating their own shots).  Look at Bryce, our best player ever -- Even he was merely a mediocre NBA guard and bench-sitter for most of his career. 

The reality is that we are losing our top 2 coaches.  Valpo is not going to capture lightning-in-a-bottle, such as Saint Louis University did with Rick Majerus.  We may have to take a flyer on a Lottich, Tonagel, etc. 

zvillehaze

Quote from: vu72 on April 07, 2016, 11:12:56 AM
Quote from: nkvu on April 07, 2016, 10:01:31 AM

Try Bryn Forbes from Cleveland State.

Forbes left CSU after his sophomore season.  Received a hardship waiver to play immediately due to an ill family member in the Detroit area.  It appears the NCAA has since tried to close the door on the sick mother/father/aunt/grandma/cousin/dog/cat hardship waivers.

valpo64

I'm getting sick and tired of Izzo saying every year that he is against the transfer rule and then every year he signs up another one.  Enough of the b s!

valpotx

I don't believe for one second that Peters 'checked out' after the GB loss.  That kid fought tooth and nail to get us victories in the NIT, and seems very earnest when he talks about his Valpo pride and having a hard time seeing himself anywhere else.  He spurned some Power 5 offers, because they didn't see him as a top recruit.  Based on his press conferences, he has taken that feedback and made it a chip on his shoulder.  It would be completely against everything he has said over the last 3 years, to turn tail and run to a Power 5.  I couldn't fault him if he did, but if I was in his position, I would remain the star at Valpo and give it one more shot.  Then again, I always root for the underdog, and spurned Power 5 offers to attend Valpo myself, and continue to despise such schools :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2624

I don't believe the "checked out" claim either but I also don't feel he's ready for the NBA. Whether this becomes apparent prior to him locking in his draft status we don't know and where he goes if he decides against it is also an unknown.

valpotx

The problem is that I think that Power 5 teams will be using this new rule to attend various combines/workouts to recruit top transfers.  It essentially seems like it is putting several top players more in the public eye, so that larger schools can feast on smaller school stars that are just feeling out their NBA worth...
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo64

Alec Peters DID NOT CHECK-OUT!  Those words are not in his vocabulary - period.

rogerwilco

Quote from: valpo64 on April 07, 2016, 03:29:59 PMAlec Peters DID NOT CHECK-OUT!  Those words are not in his vocabulary - period.

"Hi, I'm in room 137 and I'd like to ch-ch-ch...I'd like to...ch...ch...leave this hotel and settle my bill." -Alec Peters

You're right Valpo64!!!