• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Will You Cheer for Bryce?

Started by a3uge, April 11, 2016, 05:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will You Be Cheering for Bryce?

Yes
32 (66.7%)
No
8 (16.7%)
Completely Indifferent
8 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 48

atkins

I will always support Bryce, although I am not going to support Vandy just because Bryce is coaching there.  Vandy is a beautiful and wealthy school with a distinguished pedigree.  However, many would say that Southern schools such as Emory and Rice (and certainly Virginia) are superior academically at this point in time.  That's arguable. 

Regardless, Bryce earned his shot at the program he apparently longed for during his days at Valpo.  All of us likely have the "perfect job" in mind, whatever that may be, and for which we would jump at the opportunity.  If Bryce elevates Vandy's program to a regular Final Four participant, that's great news, as it is yet another successful achievement for a Valpo alum. 

Keep in mind the following:  As successful as Bryce has been (and likely will be), he is not a giant in terms of career achievements at Valpo.  We have many alumni who have succeeded at the top of their respective professions or made fortunes as entrepreneurs.  Their names are obvious and perhaps not so obvious.  However, Bryce is not in that category.  If and when he donates literally millions of dollars to the university, as many of the above alumni have done, that will place him among Valpo's biggest supporters. 

valpopal

I will cheer for Bryce at Vandy, but I will boo the annoying court set-up for its home games every time I see it.  :crazy:

talksalot

Quote from: valpopal on April 12, 2016, 02:56:38 PMI will cheer for Bryce at Vandy, but I will boo the annoying court set-up for its home games every time I see it. 

Spoken like someone who's never sat in Section A, B, C, D, or E row 1 !

StlVUFan

I would root for his new team if they weren't a power conference team, because that is how I roll.  I don't root for Baylor either.

I bear no ill will towards him.  I truly think he did all he could here.  He banged his head against the glass ceiling until he got tired of it.  Don't blame him a bit.

If I'm right about that, it really was time for someone else to be the coach.  Food for thought...

ValpoDad89

StlVUfan, I share your sentiments but as a P5 goes, I appreciate the way Vandy goes about things. They are the Northwestern of the South. I hated them for a year or two because their only representative in major sports, was Jay Cutler. And Jay is an ass in public but in private isn't. I do business with a guy who played WR there and knows Jay well. He's a good dude. I heard some personal things that encountered him and he's really a good person that doesn't get seen publicly nor does he care if it does. Kudos to him. Kudos to Bryce for getting a gig that he felt fit him, hopefully will enhance his marriage and challenge him to where he feels he can go to.

As far as him coming back, I hope he doesn't. Why? Because it means the others failed before him and I don't see failure being an option for Lottich. Is Valpo a stepping stone? Maybe but maybe we get the guy that sees the big picture, sees what he has here (tons of support) and says to himself, is it worth it?

M

David Price is a pretty big Vandy alum. 

ValpoDad89

I would think he donates to Atheltics. More specifically to Baseball so long as he had a good experience there. Vandy baseball is a powerhouse, big time. They had 2 kids drafted in the Top 10 I believe. And thee SEC had 4 teams in the CWS. They are the ACC of baseball.

As an aside my nephew pitches for Navarre HS in Florida, near Pensacola. He always wanted to pitch in the SEC and got a full ride offer from Arkansas as a Sophmore. Unless he's drafted in the first 2 rounds he's going to Arkansas. I talk to him every so often and he told me Uncle Mark, it's the best baseball in college, hands down. I don't like to name drop or blow smoke but his name is Matthew Cronin out of Navarre. Look him up for the nonbeliever.  For the baseball fans on the board take a look. An 18 year old lefty that throws low '90's with a devestating curve ball. My daughter who goes to Valpo and is close to him plus myself tried to talk him into giving Valpo a try but his mind was made up. We did try. He would dominate the Horizon League from Day 1.

oklahomamick

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 12, 2016, 07:26:36 PMtried to talk him into giving Valpo a try but his mind was made up.

Baseball in the north is difficult...Weren't there several snow delays this past week?  The top 25 in baseball in full of teams in the south. 
CRUSADERS!!!

ValpoDad89

Mick, big time. Just from a youth satandpoint my buddy ran an "elite" team in the Chicagloland". His kid is the same age as my nephew. We went down to hang with my inlaws which included my nephew then 12, team playing in a tournament in Orange a Beach, AL. The baseball played at that equal level, compared to here was night and day, these kids were doing things and making plays that kids up here could only think of. Not saying Chicago doesn't produce some talent but look at ML rosters sans Latin players. Most are from the South or California.

valpotx

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 12, 2016, 07:26:36 PM
I would think he donates to Atheltics. More specifically to Baseball so long as he had a good experience there. Vandy baseball is a powerhouse, big time. They had 2 kids drafted in the Top 10 I believe. And thee SEC had 4 teams in the CWS. They are the ACC of baseball.

As an aside my nephew pitches for Navarre HS in Florida, near Pensacola. He always wanted to pitch in the SEC and got a full ride offer from Arkansas as a Sophmore. Unless he's drafted in the first 2 rounds he's going to Arkansas. I talk to him every so often and he told me Uncle Mark, it's the best baseball in college, hands down. I don't like to name drop or blow smoke but his name is Matthew Cronin out of Navarre. Look him up for the nonbeliever.  For the baseball fans on the board take a look. An 18 year old lefty that throws low '90's with a devestating curve ball. My daughter who goes to Valpo and is close to him plus myself tried to talk him into giving Valpo a try but his mind was made up. We did try. He would dominate the Horizon League from Day 1.

You would be surprised at the quality of our baseball team/league, though I am sure that he would be a top pitcher in the HL.  Several former HL pitchers/hitters are/have been on MLB rosters (Curtis Granderson, Phil Klein, Joe Smith, Carlos Pena, Brad Hennessey, etc), though there are obviously many more out of the Big 12/Pac 12/ACC/SEC.  I went to our games against DBU last month, and we were competitive in each game (went 1-3), and DBU is a top 25 team.  Having played at Valpo 12 years ago, I can say that the Valpo baseball team has improved by leaps and bounds.  This is why we routinely beat top 25 teams each season now :).  The gap in talent within college baseball North vs. South is not as wide as it was when I was playing.  Indiana, Kent State, Stony Brook, and a few other non-Southern schools have made deep CWS runs in the last few years.  This is coming from an extremely cocky Texan who used to tout the difference between Southern baseball and Northern baseball on a routine basis, while in school lol.  I see guys throwing in the high 80's/low 90's in my adult baseball league, fresh off a professional or college career.  He will need to master his location and offspeed pitches in college, as it seems like everyone throws 90 now (not as many lefties though).

Back on topic, I wish Bryce well, but won't go out of my way to root for Vandy. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

chef

I just want to remind everyone that Bryce had opportunities to leave on numerous occasions but stayed at Valpo. He finally came to a situation that in his mind was in the best interest of his family and his assistant coaches. Has anyone ever spoken to anyone that has an unkind word to say about Bryce? I doubt it. This decision was very emotional for him, and that's because of his love for the community and the university. I'll root like heck for Vandy and not because my friend is the coach, but because of everything he did for the school I love.

VULB#62

I was maybe among the first 3 YESs in the poll. Since then I've watched the explanations with interest.  I am in the camp that will cheer for Bryce (which was the question that was asked) because of what Pal so eloquently described. He paid his dues and gave us much to remember.  The question that was not asked was would we cheer for Vandy.  My answer to that unasked question is a that in order to cheer for Bryce, I have to hope that Vandy does well.  And if Vandy does well, it will be a great reflection on where Bryce came from.  That legacy will not go away, and I think Valpo will use that legacy to continue to excel.  Will I seek out Vandy games on ESPN?  Not proactively, but when the crawler goes across  the bottom of the screen, I will note Vandy results.  Valpo remains my #1 focus.

FWalum

Wish this poll was a little more then Yes, No, and Completely Indifferent.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Quote from: FWalum on April 13, 2016, 09:33:16 AM
Wish this poll was a little more then Yes, No, and Completely Indifferent.
I stand by my polling tactics. It forces people to make a hard decision.

ValpoDad89

Here's the thing we should consider most when evaluating "The Bryce Dre era" did he leave Valpo worse off or better than we got here? My answer, based on what I saw and what they did under him was for the better. His dad left him in a decent position and he took it and excelled with it leaving Lottich in a very good position for the future. It's up to Matt now to carry that torch further.

ValpoFan

I cherish the memories that Bryce created here. I am thankful that he left the program in a better state than when he took over. I love the guy and wish him and his family the best of health and success. Does that count as cheering for Bryce?

If the question is Will I cheer for Vanderbilt... my answer then will be: He!! NO!  Why would I?

bbtds

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 12, 2016, 08:33:50 PMsatandpoint

I think the devil made you misspell that. Look at the first 5 letters.

Just Sayin

We are moving to Nashville. We've had it with Valpo BB.

bbtds

VULB#62

Very nice tribute -- loved the music.

[tweet]725482842499743745[/tweet]

valpospartan

I will not cheer for Vandy.

I will cheer for Bryce Drew (After watching him play and coach since he was in high school, I see no reason not to.)

crusadermoe

How in the world can you resent Bryce for lack of loyalty?   

Think about it.   As a young high school recruitk, he essentially chose Valpo over several Power 5 schools who offered him and stayed out of loyalty to his dad.   Without Bryce joining Homer NONE of this happens!   

All the mid-90s success onward.....NONE OF IT!     There are no Jenkins twins without Bryce!   

Come on man!

chef

Bill and Bob committed well before Bryce, however your other points are extremely well said.

Just Sayin

Quote from: crusadermoe on April 28, 2016, 11:37:40 AM
How in the world can you resent Bryce for lack of loyalty?   

Think about it.   As a young high school recruitk, he essentially chose Valpo over several Power 5 schools who offered him and stayed out of loyalty to his dad.   Without Bryce joining Homer NONE of this happens!   

All the mid-90s success onward.....NONE OF IT!     There are no Jenkins twins without Bryce!   

Come on man!

To whom were you responding?