• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The New Arc???

Started by ValpoDad89, April 24, 2016, 08:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDad89

Whatever I post relative to my kid, who is a Freshmen mind ALL of you is this. She's just that and digs gossip.

I was on Campus yesterday for the Kappa Deltsa Dad's Day event. We were talking about football and basketball and she said they a building a new ARC just north of the stadium / arena which is where a lot of speculation went and makes the most sense. She said they are going to break groud as soon as the new Engineering facility was at least near complete but it was the next big project on their advancement of the Campus. How true, I don't know as that is a multi multi million dollar investment but it seems to hold true to what others have said.

VULB#62

Could she unknowingly but actually be referring to the proposed field house/recreation facility called for in the 30 year plan on the Porter property?

M

Not breaking news, also not happening until their is someone with a large amount of money to donate to the cause. Could that happen as the other building is finishing up? I suppose. I know one alum who just got a huge pay day and could help.

ValpoDad89

I asked her and she said according to her cheer/dance coach, they would break ground in the next 2 years. Take it for what it's worth.

talksalot

a few years ago, my wife and I went on a campus tour with my daughter...there were 4 stakes in the ground by the Chapel with pink flags on them... someone else in the group asked about them... the student said "It's the new Ultimate Frisbee field"... when asked it if could be the new Library... "Oh No..." that's a long range goal and won't go up for 10 years.     Ground breaking on the Christopher Center was the following weekend.

M

chef

Everything I've been told from the administration is that the area north of the football field is for a rec center. Want to make this clear, it would not be used as a new basketball arena.

agibson

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 24, 2016, 11:42:09 PM
I asked her and she said according to her cheer/dance coach, they would break ground in the next 2 years. Take it for what it's worth.

I can't comment on the timeline concretely - perhaps those in athletics hear different things (more things?) than those of us elsewhere on campus.

I've heard other suggested (complimentary?) uses, and maybe there are some elements on the master plan even (a new soccer facility?), but it's long seemed fairly clear that the first big project for the old Porter site would be something like a Fieldhouse. Taking on some of the tasks that the ARC now carries, but not a replacement for Homer Drew Court as the competitive basketball venue. I don't think I've heard anything from the administration that puts that into question. I'm also not sure that I've heard anything concrete about a timeline.

The building over by Gellersen that's in a fairly advanced state of construction is going to be called, I believe, "Center for the Sciences: Chemistry and Biochemistry Building", or something fairly similar to that. The first element of what would eventually be a multi-phase (probably three-phase?) full replacement building for Chemistry, Biology, and Physics (and some related efforts). The most concrete pieces of that, at present, are the currently-under-construction phase one, and some (modest?) planned renovations of Neils. There's been some planning work toward phases two and three, but I've not heard anything concrete by way of timeline.

The Fieldhouse and maybe Phase Two of the Center for the Sciences are probably the most concrete plans I've head of for "next construction projects". Along with some dorm renovations, perhaps. Neither of the first two feels particularly imminent to me, and the next fundraising campaign is aimed at endowment rather than construction.

But, I'm not all that close to the folks who work with these plans on a daily basis. And we don't necessarily need a fundraising campaign to build a new building. And, of course, one major donor can change a lot.

A couple of links on the new science building:
http://www.valpo.edu/news/2015/09/17/valparaiso-university-breaks-ground-on-science-building-sept-17/
http://www.hastingschivetta.com/projects/stem-village-phase-i/

ARCInsider

Valpodad is the Irving Rosenfeld of this board.

VU2014

Just out curiosity, how much would a new basketball arena cost to build and what would be the potential seating for school of our size?

M

They aren't going to build a new basketball arena.

ARCInsider

Well, it's your word against Valpodad's daughter's dance coach, chef and M.

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on April 25, 2016, 12:16:44 PM
Just out curiosity, how much would a new basketball arena cost to build and what would be the potential seating for school of our size?

As has been stated numerous times in a bunch of previous threads, a new ARC won't happen because it does not meet the needs of the university.  A large scale recreation facility/field house with indoor track and other athletic and recreation-related facilities for all sports and for the entire student body and faculty does (along with separate ARC renovation).

But just for grins here are some comparisons to chew on:

Gonzaga's MAC – (6000 capacity), built in 2004, $25 million ($31.3 million in 2016 dollars = $4166 per seat)

U of San Diego's Jenny Craig Pavillion (5100 capacity) built in 2000, $17.5 million in year 2000 dollars; = $3700 per seat.  Extrapolated to 6000 would be an additional $3.3 million -- – so similar to Gonzaga and would be in the $28-30 million 2016 dollar range)

Penn State's Pegula Ice Arena (multipurpose 6014 capacity) built in 2013, $88 million

Independence, MO (capacity 6000). Studied in 2007 but never built, $24 million

U of South Dakota's Performance Center and Basketball Arena (capacity 6000) built 2014-2016 ($66 million*)  *This includes the arena, 2 practice courts, lockers and offices as well as Performance center (weights and sports medicine), and separate outdoor track complex and  separate soccer stadium).  Assuming $5million for the track and $5million for the soccer field, that still leaves $56 million for the BB and Performance facility. You can do more extrapolating using any combination of numbers and it still is gonna be on the upside of $30+ million minimum.

M

I'm not connected, I'm just riding the coattails of those that are (and reading what those people are posting).

VU2624

Short version:
http://www.valpo.edu/masterplan/assets/docs/VU%20MP%20Exec%20Summary_final.pdf

Long Version with Athletics starting on page 102:
https://issuu.com/smithgroupjjr/docs/valparaiso_university

No new ARC. Fieldhouse is/was in the plans.

Portions of the plan have occurred i.e. the track installation.

VULB#62

As a followup to my previous post, most fans, unless you have had a in-depth tour of ALL the facilities in the Hilltop/ARC building, cannot begin to appreciate what a difference the construction of a new Recreation/Fieldhouse facility will do for Valpo. At a minimum, it will alleviate the seriously overcrowded locker facilities and allow for deserved expansion of training and sports medicine -- not to mention providing adequate office space for numerous coaching staffs.  By moving many of the 19 sports over to such a new facility, it not only allows for expansion and upgrades that benefit our flagship sport, Basketball, it allows for reallocation to fewer sports of the space vacated by the sports that move to the new place.  Hilltop/ARC can be a facility almost entirely dedicated to basketball and those activities required to support an improved D-I program and atmosphere.  They are already upgrading the practice gym in Hilltop this summer, but by focussing the ARC on basketball it could possibly allow building permanent bowl seating in the arena, who knows?).  But none of this can be done now because of the need to share with other sports as well as intramurals.  As is practiced at other schools, a refurbished ARC would also house the Volleyball program.  Added to that would have to be Swimming & Diving, of course, and football locker space (probably expanded) -- but that's about it.  All the other sports could enjoy new digs in the new facility. And by focusing ARC renovations/upgrades toward BB, the fan experience which so many of us have criticized would be given a huge boost.

However, as many have mentioned, there is a sequence that has to be followed to allow it to happen.  And that is: Recreation/Fieldhouse first.  Unless, that is, we find $66 million, like South Dakota State did   ::)

agibson

Quote from: ARCInsider on April 25, 2016, 01:02:14 PM
Well, it's your word against Valpodad's daughter's dance coach, chef and M.

Just to be clear, I think there probably isn't/wasn't much of a conflict here.

There's some question about the timeline - the coach mentioned two years, others have mentioned ambiguity.

And there is, perhaps, some confusion about the nature of the upgrade. Maybe "new ARC" was said. But I doubt "new basketball facility" was intended. Presumably they were talking about the field house, etc.

ValpoDad89

You got me ArcInsider. No one should ever tout any information contrary to you, got it. :-X

Read my post, reading comprehension at its finest and my others, I say take it for what it's worth. You understand what that means right? What more do I have to do. I am sharing WHAT A CURRENT STUDENT ON CAMPUS SAYS. She's close to both football and basketball players. She's in the same training room with these guys getting taped before she goes out, she hears stuff. She's not the most athletic story savvy but tells me what she hears. I share what she tells me. That's all.

Didn't a bunch of STARTING freshmen leave Valpo's football program among others? I believe they did.

I welcome contrary opinions and will back off comments made if someone proves something different hence why I say TAKE IT FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH.

ValpoDad89

And maybe the administration saw the light. They saw Valpo commercials on ESPN during the NIT run. They saw how much NATIONAL publicity they got as a result and could be thinking maybe we need to make basketball a spotlight. DePaul went from a school of 5K students back in the '70's to the largest private Catholic School in the nation during the '80's and '90's and continue to reap the benefits of their basketball teams success during that time.

I do know Valpo wants to increase enrollment so....

ARCInsider

Relax, Valpodad.  Just giving you a hard time (as many others have) about your inside connection.  Think about it...the dance coach has top secret information that donors/employees don't have and she's passing that along to her freshman dancers?  Kinda funny when you think about it. :)

valpotx

It's not for a new basketball facility.  Heckler has spoken often of the new field house that will go on that property, every time he comes down to speak to our DFW Valpo Club.  So yes, a 'new ARC,' but for the sports outside of basketball.
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2624

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 25, 2016, 06:11:11 PMDidn't a bunch of STARTING freshmen leave Valpo's football program among others? I believe they did.

No.

QB 0 freshman
RB 1 1 freshman 4th on depth chart played but suffered a long term injury which will have him miss this upcoming season DNR.
TE/HB 2 freshman both back
WR 1 freshman started consistently. He's back. 4 other Freshman played. 3 alternated at z. Two DNR due to the expected drop in PT.
OL Can't find anyone who DNR although it's possible with the numbers here I missed someone.

Defense looks like everyone is back amongst freshman who played.

The freshman punter is back.

They lost a somewhat significant piece in the RB. The WRs were struggling and likely passed by another freshman. Other than that, not much was lost I was very impressed by the retention rate from fall to spring. Not usually this good.

Whatever information you are getting on both subjects appears to be wrong or misinterpreted.

ValpoDad89

2624, you may be right. I don't want to mention names as I don't want to hurt but The info I received comes from a kid who's a Junior LB on the team currently and played in the Spring game.

valpo64

Now kids, it sounds like some people are relying too much on what some students are saying about their day-to-day conversations on campus.  Remember that although well meant it often is not based on facts and can get passed on, and maybe even enhanced, without verification.  Now that I think about it, I guess it's just more internet talk that we all see and hear everyday.

atkins

As a technical matter, the new building would correctly be described as the "ARC."  It is an "athletic" and "recreation" center.  It would indeed be used for both purposes nearly 100% of the time.  Many universities refer to this sort of facility as a "recreation center" or "rec center."  Accordingly, referring to the building as the "ARC" is both accurate and consistent with industry standards. 

ValpoDad89 receives a passing grade on this assignment. 

Class dismissed.  Onward and upward. 

Professor atkins