• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ryan Broekhoff

Started by oklahomamick, May 04, 2016, 07:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Ryan is generating a lot of interest from NBA teams.  He won't be playing in the NBA summer league because he decided to represent his country in Rio.  How cool would it be to have Alec and Ryan in the NBA.  Has any HL team had two players in the NBA at the same time?

http://pickandroll.com.au/beyond-europe-broekhoffs-rio-success-key-unlocking-nba-career/
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: oklahomamick on May 04, 2016, 07:07:06 AM
Ryan is generating a lot of interest from NBA teams but won't be playing any in summer leagues because he has decided to represent his country and in Rio.  How cool would it be to have Alec and Ryan in the NBA.  Has any HL team had two players in the NBA at the same time? 

http://pickandroll.com.au/beyond-europe-broekhoffs-rio-success-key-unlocking-nba-career/
Heyward and Mack would have been the last.

oklahomamick

You are correct, damn Butler.
CRUSADERS!!!

covufan

Quote from: a3uge on May 04, 2016, 07:18:02 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on May 04, 2016, 07:07:06 AM
Ryan is generating a lot of interest from NBA teams but won't be playing any in summer leagues because he has decided to represent his country and in Rio.  How cool would it be to have Alec and Ryan in the NBA.  Has any HL team had two players in the NBA at the same time? 

Heyward and Mack would have been the last.
And for five years running...

valpotx

They are on the same team now as well, due to a midseason trade of Mack to the Jazz.  He didn't play as much with the Hawks this season, but ended up a starter over the last few Jazz games.
"Don't mess with Texas"

koala

Just thought you'd all like to know that Rowdy's team Lokomotiv Kuban have made it to the final four in the Euroleague finals, the first time Loko have ever accomplished that feat and only the second Russian team to do so.    We are currently in Berlin to watch him play tonight against CSKA and the winner goes onto play the winner between Fenerbache or Laboral Kutxa in the grand final, the losers play off for 3rd and 4th.   So proud of Ryan and all that he achieved at Valpo and since turning Pro, hope you all are as proud as we are?   Go Loko, Go Rowdy 🏀

agibson

11 AM Central on ESPN3.

Good luck to Rowdy!

ml

Couldn't be prouder. Blessed to have Rowdy, you, and the entire family as part of the Valpo Athletics family. GO LOKO!   

oklahomamick

Ryan's buzzer beater against Green Bay is one of my all time favorite Valpo plays.  Another one, was when Ryan took it coast to coast against Detroit and slammed it home.  It was his Junior year at the Arc. 

Go Loko! 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo84

Go Rowdy and enjoy the trip Koala!!
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VULB#62

Going to the Euroleague Final Four as a pro and being a Boomer on his way to Rio -- what a year for Rowdy.  It says a lot about him and his work ethic.  But then, we knew that good things would come for him as we watched him develop as one of our own.  He's a great model for current players and future VU recruits -- you can come to 'tiny' Valpo and have great basketball success.  Enjoy the ride Koala!

sliman

Koala, please let Rowdy know that people "around the world" are pulling for him.  Success couldn't come to a nicer young man.

wh

Quote from: sliman on May 13, 2016, 09:06:28 AM
Koala, please let Rowdy know that people "around the world" are pulling for him.  Success couldn't come to a nicer young man.

Amen.

Commissioner

QuoteHas any HL team had two players in the NBA at the same time?
[/size]
Detroit, Willie Green and Ray McCallum during the 2014-15 season.

Detroit also had multiple players in the NBA in the at various points from 2003-2006 with Willie Green and Jermaine Jackson and Green and Desmond Ferguson. If you count the Horizon by its old name, the MCC, during the 1982-83 season Detroit alums Earl Cureton, Terry Duerod, John Long, Terry Tyler, Spencer Haywood and Joe Kopicki were in the NBA simultaneously. The MCC launched in the fall of 1979. Detroit joined in 1980 and from 1980 through 1989, there were always at least three Titan alumni in the league simultaneously. The Titans had two players in the League (Cureton and Long) in 1997.

The Titans had multiple players in the League several times before joining the MCC, and one Titan, Lee Knorek, played in the first ever NBA game on Nov. 1, 1946.

What's that Springsteen song I'm thinking of?

VULB#62

Quote from: Commissioner on May 13, 2016, 04:17:21 PM
[/size]

Detroit also had multiple players in the NBA in the at various points from 2003-2006 with Willie Green and Jermaine Jackson and Green and Desmond Ferguson. If you count the Horizon by its old name, the MCC, during the 1982-83 season Detroit alums Earl Cureton, Terry Duerod, John Long, Terry Tyler, Spencer Haywood and Joe Kopicki were in the NBA simultaneously. The MCC launched in the fall of 1979. Detroit joined in 1980 and from 1980 through 1989, there were always at least three Titan alumni in the league simultaneously. The Titans had two players in the League (Cureton and Long) in 1997.

The Titans had multiple players in the League several times before joining the MCC, and one Titan, Lee Knorek, played in the first ever NBA game on Nov. 1, 1946.

Copied, resized and pasted.  Now I can read it.

atkins

I took a break to watch Ryan play on ESPN3 today.  Their opponent clearly was a better and crisper team.

As for Ryan....He moved well and shot with confidence.  He also played good defense and altered a couple of shots, which was rare in this game (Typical pro game).  He missed a key three pointer that would've been a huge momentum boost in the last few minutes, and the rebounder missed an easy tip-in of his  shot.  I am sure Ryan is kicking himself over that miss, as it was the sort of shot that he normally hits.  Overall, I was impressed by his play.  It was terrific to see him in action.  He is the real deal.

oklahomamick

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 13, 2016, 04:24:46 PM
Detroit, Willie Green and Ray McCallum during the 2014-15 season. Detroit also had multiple players in the NBA in the at various points from 2003-2006 with Willie Green and Jermaine Jackson and Green and Desmond Ferguson. If you count the Horizon by its old name, the MCC, during the 1982-83 season Detroit alums Earl Cureton, Terry Duerod, John Long, Terry Tyler, Spencer Haywood and Joe Kopicki were in the NBA simultaneously. The MCC launched in the fall of 1979. Detroit joined in 1980 and from 1980 through 1989, there were always at least three Titan alumni in the league simultaneously. The Titans had two players in the League (Cureton and Long) in 1997. The Titans had multiple players in the League several times before joining the MCC, and one Titan, Lee Knorek, played in the first ever NBA game on Nov. 1, 1946. What's that Springsteen song I'm thinking of?
Copied, resized and pasted.  Now I can read it. Detroit, Willie Green and Ray McCallum during the 2014-15 season. Detroit also had multiple players in the NBA in the at various points from 2003-2006 with Willie Green and Jermaine Jackson and Green and Desmond Ferguson. If you count the Horizon by its old name, the MCC, during the 1982-83 season Detroit alums Earl Cureton, Terry Duerod, John Long, Terry Tyler, Spencer Haywood and Joe Kopicki were in the NBA simultaneously. The MCC launched in the fall of 1979. Detroit joined in 1980 and from 1980 through 1989, there were always at least three Titan alumni in the league simultaneously. The Titans had two players in the League (Cureton and Long) in 1997. The Titans had multiple players in the League several times before joining the MCC, and one Titan, Lee Knorek, played in the first ever NBA game on Nov. 1, 1946. What's that Springsteen song I'm thinking of?

Detroit has always had the talent.
CRUSADERS!!!

covufan

Quote from: oklahomamick on May 13, 2016, 07:16:09 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on May 13, 2016, 04:24:46 PM
Detroit, Willie Green and Ray McCallum during the 2014-15 season. Detroit also had multiple players in the NBA in the at various points from 2003-2006 with Willie Green and Jermaine Jackson and Green and Desmond Ferguson. If you count the Horizon by its old name, the MCC, during the 1982-83 season Detroit alums Earl Cureton, Terry Duerod, John Long, Terry Tyler, Spencer Haywood and Joe Kopicki were in the NBA simultaneously. The MCC launched in the fall of 1979. Detroit joined in 1980 and from 1980 through 1989, there were always at least three Titan alumni in the league simultaneously. The Titans had two players in the League (Cureton and Long) in 1997. The Titans had multiple players in the League several times before joining the MCC, and one Titan, Lee Knorek, played in the first ever NBA game on Nov. 1, 1946. What's that Springsteen song I'm thinking of?
Copied, resized and pasted.  Now I can read it. Detroit, Willie Green and Ray McCallum during the 2014-15 season. Detroit also had multiple players in the NBA in the at various points from 2003-2006 with Willie Green and Jermaine Jackson and Green and Desmond Ferguson. If you count the Horizon by its old name, the MCC, during the 1982-83 season Detroit alums Earl Cureton, Terry Duerod, John Long, Terry Tyler, Spencer Haywood and Joe Kopicki were in the NBA simultaneously. The MCC launched in the fall of 1979. Detroit joined in 1980 and from 1980 through 1989, there were always at least three Titan alumni in the league simultaneously. The Titans had two players in the League (Cureton and Long) in 1997. The Titans had multiple players in the League several times before joining the MCC, and one Titan, Lee Knorek, played in the first ever NBA game on Nov. 1, 1946. What's that Springsteen song I'm thinking of?

Detroit has always had the talent.
When Butler was in the HL they had Hayward and Mack, both still in the NBA.

vu72

Quote from: covufan on May 13, 2016, 07:46:40 PMWhen Butler was in the HL they had Hayward and Mack, both still in the NBA.

Ryan's team took the loss today but will still play for 3rd.  Quite the accomplishment.  As for Mack, I always thought that Brandon Wood was a better player.  If Mack is in the NBA then so should Brandon.

Here's the line from the last time they played:

MACK, Shelvin   g   34   3-12   1-7   3-4   1   1   2   4   0   0   3   2   10

WOOD, Brandon   g   33   4-9   1-3   6-8   2   3   5   1   3   0   2   5   15
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Mack can run a solid PG, so he doesn't need to be a strong scorer
"Don't mess with Texas"

chef

If Brandon Wood was a better player than Shelvin Mack, he'd be in the NBA. Mack played real solid ball down the stretch for Utah in a starting role. He's not a fringe NBA player. He's very good. Any player better than him that wants to be in the NBA, would be in the NBA.

vu72

Quote from: chef on May 14, 2016, 05:01:41 AM
If Brandon Wood was a better player than Shelvin Mack, he'd be in the NBA. Mack played real solid ball down the stretch for Utah in a starting role. He's not a fringe NBA player. He's very good. Any player better than him that wants to be in the NBA, would be in the NBA.

Wow!  A little testy today??  Brandon was a better college player.  He is a natural 2, and  a much better pure scorer, not a point. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

koala

Thanks for the support he will be very happy to know you haven't forgotten him.   It was the most amazing experience watching him play in the Euroleague finals, we wish Loko hadn't started off so poorly and yes if only he had hit that 3 😔   Now to finish off with a win and get that 3rd place, now that the nerves were dealt with yesterday?   If you could only see us now we are sitting relaxing at the Hotel playing cards, drinking tea and Kev is wearing a Valpo jacket, I am wearing a Besiktas (his Turkish team of last year) jacket, Ryan is in his Australian Boomers hoodie and Jim is in his Loko hat.   We never forget his previous teams ❤️

usc4valpo

Sheldon Mack was a better college player than Brandon Wood. Cripes, Mack started and was a key cog on 2 teams playing for the national championships. Cripes, I know several of you dislike Butler but let's be real here!

sliman

Thanks for the latest post, Koala.  You painted a pleasant picture of relaxing at the hotel; a lot of us wish we could be there as well.  Watching on my computer, I thought CSKA looked a bit quicker than Loko but it was their unbelievable shooting that was the biggest problem.  We're all hoping the tournament ends with a win for Ryan.