• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Knowing Now

Started by ValpoDad89, May 30, 2016, 10:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDad89

What are your thoughts? All things considered, we knew Bryce was pretty much gone after the run in the NIT. While I and I think many of you didn't want to admit, it was a foregone conclusion considering his past flirtations. He left but many things were undecided in the wake of his departure. Would Alec leave? Who else? Where the program be?

Now we know he left (hurts), took Powell (hurts), Skara goes through the corridor of some unscrupulous behavior (hurts and shocked).

But we get Lottich (so far totally impressed and was my 1B behind Powell) and AP is staying!!! I got to say, I'm very happy in the end with where we are at given all the things that were under consideration. As bad as this could've went, I think we are in great shape to continue on.

ValpoFan

I think that we will be ok this year. With Alec, Jubril, and Tevonn, we have a great nucleus that will get us to compete this year and maybe win the league (considering how weak the league is going to be).
Once Jubril and Alec graduate, I am afraid that Tevonn will be the only starting quality upperclassman. It may be too early to worry about that, but that's my thought.

covufan

All things considered, I think we are in very capable hands (ml and Coach Lottich), and our future is very good. 

We lose nearly 47% of our scoring, 54% of minutes played, 47% of our rebounding, and 75% of our blocked shots.  I still think we are in good shape, although we'll need healthy years from all 10 that are currently on scholarship.  I'm hoping that Coach Lottich will be getting two more players that can help this year - and hopefully we'll have seen one of them play in the recent past! ;)

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Smits, Bradford and Sorolla all fit into all of those minutes that are available.  The real x factor will be how Joseph and Williams step up this year. 

vu72

Quote from: ValpoFan on May 31, 2016, 02:23:14 PM
I think that we will be ok this year. With Alec, Jubril, and Tevonn, we have a great nucleus that will get us to compete this year and maybe win the league (considering how weak the league is going to be).
Once Jubril and Alec graduate, I am afraid that Tevonn will be the only starting quality upperclassman. It may be too early to worry about that, but that's my thought.

You missed one very key player:  Shane Hammink.  He started the last 8 games and certainly will be a starter and big contributor this coming year.  It is very difficult/impossible to fathom what the team chemistry will be but with Derrik, Alec, Shane, Tevonne and Jubril all back, together with lots of experience at least with Coach Lottich, in Max, Lexus, Nick and Chandler, you have a core returning group of 9 guys.  That's a lot.  Should be a fun year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ValpoFan

I cannot believe I forgot about Shane. Thanks for keeping me honest VU72.
Now I have more reasons to believe that we will be fine this coming year and that the year after that will be Coach Lottich's big test.
I really hope we can get a decent transfer or a JUCO this summer.

a3uge

It'll be interesting to see if Lottich continues the point-forward trend. I'd be happy seeing our point guards given a shot to play point guard and having Shane stay at the 3.

valpo4life

Quote from: a3uge on June 01, 2016, 08:51:59 AM
It'll be interesting to see if Lottich continues the point-forward trend. I'd be happy seeing our point guards given a shot to play point guard and having Shane stay at the 3.

Given that it would appear that Lottich is going to run a more up tempo style. We may get to see a little bit more of Lexus as he seemed to fit that mold his freshman year. If Bryce would have stayed he would still be hidden down at the end of the bench, but now he has a chance to prove his worth and earn some minutes

VULB#62

Knowing what he knows now, Lunardi has changed his bracket. Paul indicates that Valpo was the only new addition and at a 13 seed.

[tweet]738078840531128320[/tweet]

atkins

Does anyone even care about Lunardi?  Paul had a rare slow news day, so he had to resort to pop journalism.   ;)

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 01, 2016, 02:10:23 PMKnowing what he knows now, Lunardi has changed his bracket. Paul indicates that Valpo was the only new addition and at a 13 seed.

Weird. The previous update was April 7, the day Alec declared for the draft. Lunardi had Oakland as a 13.

I don't know if that was based on "Valpo without Peters, Oakland without Felder", or whether Lunardi even thinks that hard about mid-majors, or what.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on June 02, 2016, 11:05:52 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on June 01, 2016, 02:10:23 PMKnowing what he knows now, Lunardi has changed his bracket. Paul indicates that Valpo was the only new addition and at a 13 seed.

Weird. The previous update was April 7, the day Alec declared for the draft. Lunardi had Oakland as a 13.

I don't know if that was based on "Valpo without Peters, Oakland without Felder", or whether Lunardi even thinks that hard about mid-majors, or what.

The fact that he fealt it was necessary to create a whole new bracket simply because Peters is returning shows he's paying attention and has respect for Valpo and other mid majors. He's even learned how to pronounce Valparaiso.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on June 02, 2016, 12:51:50 PMThe fact that he fealt it was necessary to create a whole new bracket simply because Peters is returning shows he's paying attention and has respect for Valpo and other mid majors.

Serious respect.

[Where is the irony button on this computer gizmo? We've got considerable depth of experience with each other, and _sometimes_ manage subtler forms of humor. But, we're also a pretty straight laced bunch, with always a mix of newcomers, etc.]

Pgmado

Quote from: atkins on June 01, 2016, 06:14:06 PM
Does anyone even care about Lunardi?  Paul had a rare slow news day, so he had to resort to pop journalism.   ;)

+1