• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Team

Started by IndyValpo, November 15, 2013, 12:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndyValpo

We left 3 open scholarships this year so we began practice with 12 plus a walk on (kudos for that).  2 players are transfers and will not play this year.  3 more are hurt and 2 of those are apparantly out for the year.  1 is recovering from a concussion. We were down to 7 for the Illinois game.  This is sounding hauntingly familiar to 2 years ago.

valpotx

Sad to see, but hopefully we get at least one person healthy to get to a rotation of 8.  Having 7 players really limits what you can do, especially with NCAA refs under a mandate to call more fouls this season.
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

All very good points. I remember that win at Ball State two years ago when we started the game with 7, dropped to 6 when Shaquira Scott tore her ACL, and finished with 5 after Tabitha Gerardot fouled out (side note: watch her play tonight when Indiana beat Indiana State, 11 and 8...and she fouled out).

Hopefully we can get some people back. Numbers are good to get through games, the experience will be good to hopefully get through some wins down the road!
"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."
–Jason Kendall, Throwback, pp. 176

BradC

A bit of good news on the injury front: Elizabeth Hamlet is expected to play - albeit limited minutes as she progresses back to 100% - today vs. Notre Dame.

LaPorteAveApostle

As long as Hamlet can play meaningful minutes in Act II, I mean, the second half. 

That's always where the denouement is.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

KL31NY

"Confidence is huge: believing you're better than the other guy gives you an advantage."

LaPorteAveApostle

Paul Oren tweets that:

@ValpoWBB adds track athlete Jazmin Taylor to roster. Rock Island native is a junior guard. Taylor drove to Champaign and dressed after foul concerns plagued Crusaders in season opener against St. Louis.

https://twitter.com/NWIOren
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

...IS AWFUL.  Just watched the first half against IUPUI and they are down by 20!!  This is at home.  We got nothing!!  Just heaving 3's up and then getting outrebounded.  Defense doesn't have a clue.  Otherwise, pretty solid.   :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

This team was going to struggle before Carr got hurt. Now, honestly I am not sure there is a win on the schedule. Does anyone know how long Issacs is out?

KL31NY

Final: 84-51 IUPUI

Btw, vu72's analysis reminded me of one of my favorite John McKay quotes (former national champion as USC's head coach wound up coaching the winless 1976 Buccaneers)
Quote"We can't stop a pass or a run... otherwise, we're in great shape."

chef

McKay's best quote came in response to the question - What do you think of your teams execution? McKay "I'm all for it."

vu72

Quote from: chef on November 21, 2013, 09:28:25 PM
McKay's best quote came in response to the question - What do you think of your teams execution? McKay "I'm all for it."

LOL!!   :rotfl:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Man, a 33 point loss to IUPUI.  Good to see that we at least have 8 playing now, but hopefully they start playing better.  I really hope we are doing the right things in women's basketball, as that program has been in the past and can easily be one of our better athletic programs. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

KL31NY

Oren's recap and follow-up are good reads from the contest and where this team is at.

valpopal

I have uploaded a set with 16 of my photographs from the women's basketball game against IUPUI, including the ones below, at the following link, and I invite everyone to check them out:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157637931113563/with/10990491783/

VULB#62

Looking back on the last pre-season, last season, and the past pre-season going into this season, I am wondering why this program has had a difficult time attracting top shelf talent and depth in the first two recruiting classes.  Jack, and a number of you who are closer to the  program, you might have some insight into this.  Usually, when a new coach is brought in to rejuvenate a program, one of the first things that occurs is a flurry of recruiting activity.  Without question, talent and depth are keys to wins.  Seems like we are short in both departments and the long-term outlook doesn't seem too bright either.  I also recall that some of the previous regime's players were encouraged to leave and wound up doing quite well in other programs while we seem to be becoming even less competitive as Freeman's players graduate or leave.  Just wondering.  Maybe I'm ultra sensitive to this because of my loyalty to Valpo FB, hate to say this, and could be all wet on this speculation, but I kind of zeroed in on one post game quote "(Our players) are in (the locker room) figuring out a way to grow up and be the basketball players they came to Valparaiso University to be" and can't help thinking about the criticism that was leveled at Carlson in this board, almost from the beginning, about the perception that the fault lay with the players, not the coaching.

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 22, 2013, 10:26:25 AMJust wondering.  Maybe I'm ultra sensitive to this because of my loyalty to Valpo FB, hate to say this, and could be all wet on this speculation, but I kind of zeroed in on one post game quote "(Our players) are in (the locker room) figuring out a way to grow up and be the basketball players they came to Valparaiso University to be" and can't help thinking about the criticism that was leveled at Carlson in this board, almost from the beginning, about the perception that the fault lay with the players, not the coaching.
Those same thoughts were starting to creep into my head, VULB#62. I'm not going to give up on Dorow at this time but some critical thinking must go into this situation. Maybe Dorow pointed the finger at herself and the coaching staff also but she sure does level a finger at the players. That always sends off an alarm in my head. I'm hoping MLB has learned a great deal from the situation with Carlson and after giving the WBB situation what most would deem a reasonable amount of time, would be ready to pull the plug if this WBB team doesn't show any signs of improvement. One thing Carlson was able to do is recruit better. We have not seen that yet from Valpo's women's bb coach.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

I highly doubt that anything would happen with Dorow this season, regardless of how bad a season we might have.  You typically won't see a 2 year stint as head coach at a school like Valpo, unless someone gets plucked away from us.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on November 22, 2013, 12:09:13 PMI highly doubt that anything would happen with Dorow this season, regardless of how bad a season we might have.  You typically won't see a 2 year stint as head coach at a school like Valpo, unless someone gets plucked away from us.
I agree about this season. I just hope that MLB has a shorter leash with Dorow then he had with Carlson, IF, and that is a huge IF, there is absolutely zero improvement in the WBB.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Pgmado

I'm going to politely disagree on your recruiting suggestions for the time being. Dorow inherited the previous class last year and didn't have much time to add to it. Lexi Miller came aboard only because there was a preexisting relationship. Wiedemann, Dean and Godwin were already signed to LOIs when Dorow came in. As for this incoming class, Karungi was a vital piece for size in the middle. The jury is still out on Issac as she's been hurt. Dorow could've rushed things with this class and gambled on freshmen, but instead she chose to take her lumps this season and bring in transfers that will spend a year getting better and then slide into important roles. While many of you are blasting her recruiting, she went out and signed a strong four-member class and already has a verbal from a strong downstate Indiana player for the following class. Recruiting is like chess. You just don't start by moving your queen all over the board, you've got to setup the rest of the pieces. (Poor analogy perhaps, but you see where I'm going with this). Yes, this team will likely struggle. The biggest mistake they can make is to rush Carr back. Take lumps this season and get things turned around going forward. Before you accuse (or excuse I suppose) me of being a homer, remember that I was as big of a Freeman supporter as there was and hated seeing a change made. That said, give the new regime some time.

covufan

Quote from: Pgmado on November 22, 2013, 12:17:37 PM
I'm going to politely disagree on your recruiting suggestions for the time being. Dorow inherited the previous class last year and didn't have much time to add to it. Lexi Miller came aboard only because there was a preexisting relationship. Wiedemann, Dean and Godwin were already signed to LOIs when Dorow came in. As for this incoming class, Karungi was a vital piece for size in the middle. The jury is still out on Issac as she's been hurt. Dorow could've rushed things with this class and gambled on freshmen, but instead she chose to take her lumps this season and bring in transfers that will spend a year getting better and then slide into important roles. While many of you are blasting her recruiting, she went out and signed a strong four-member class and already has a verbal from a strong downstate Indiana player for the following class. Recruiting is like chess. You just don't start by moving your queen all over the board, you've got to setup the rest of the pieces. (Poor analogy perhaps, but you see where I'm going with this). Yes, this team will likely struggle. The biggest mistake they can make is to rush Carr back. Take lumps this season and get things turned around going forward. Before you excuse me of being a homer, remember that I was as big of a Freeman supporter as there was and hated seeing a change made. That said, give the new regime some time.
Wise words.  Thanks for the input.  I like what I'm seeing for years 3, 4 and beyond. 

valpotx

I'm going to politely disagree on your recruiting suggestions for the time being. Dorow inherited the previous class last year and didn't have much time to add to it. Lexi Miller came aboard only because there was a preexisting relationship. Wiedemann, Dean and Godwin were already signed to LOIs when Dorow came in. As for this incoming class, Karungi was a vital piece for size in the middle. The jury is still out on Issac as she's been hurt. Dorow could've rushed things with this class and gambled on freshmen, but instead she chose to take her lumps this season and bring in transfers that will spend a year getting better and then slide into important roles. While many of you are blasting her recruiting, she went out and signed a strong four-member class and already has a verbal from a strong downstate Indiana player for the following class. Recruiting is like chess. You just don't start by moving your queen all over the board, you've got to setup the rest of the pieces. (Poor analogy perhaps, but you see where I'm going with this). Yes, this team will likely struggle. The biggest mistake they can make is to rush Carr back. Take lumps this season and get things turned around going forward. Before you excuse me of being a homer, remember that I was as big of a Freeman supporter as there was and hated seeing a change made. That said, give the new regime some time.

Good comments Paul, and I do agree she deserves more time.  I am hopeful that her prior success will bear fruit at Valpo.  Also, the Packers still suck, and Broncos rule :)
"Don't mess with Texas"

IndyValpo

I'm going to politely disagree on your recruiting suggestions for the time being. Dorow inherited the previous class last year and didn't have much time to add to it. Lexi Miller came aboard only because there was a preexisting relationship. Wiedemann, Dean and Godwin were already signed to LOIs when Dorow came in. As for this incoming class, Karungi was a vital piece for size in the middle. The jury is still out on Issac as she's been hurt. Dorow could've rushed things with this class and gambled on freshmen, but instead she chose to take her lumps this season and bring in transfers that will spend a year getting better and then slide into important roles. While many of you are blasting her recruiting, she went out and signed a strong four-member class and already has a verbal from a strong downstate Indiana player for the following class. Recruiting is like chess. You just don't start by moving your queen all over the board, you've got to setup the rest of the pieces. (Poor analogy perhaps, but you see where I'm going with this). Yes, this team will likely struggle. The biggest mistake they can make is to rush Carr back. Take lumps this season and get things turned around going forward. Before you accuse (or excuse I suppose) me of being a homer, remember that I was as big of a Freeman supporter as there was and hated seeing a change made. That said, give the new regime some time.

I hope you are correct about next years recruiting class. Their announcement was light on actual statistics. I would like to know what they did as juniors.

I agree about Carr, this season will be bad with her or without.  I am guessing that 3 of our better players are in street clothes.

jack

Very good points made here. I think Dorrow is heading in the right direction in trying to attract talent, but the one thing that bothers me is size. Freeman had the same issues of late. In the league we compete in, you have to have size inside to compete well. I'm talking 6-2, 6-3, etc. We just can't seem to attract the size we need to bang it around inside. Karungi is a big help, but when you've only got one Karungi, it isn't too dificult to work a defense around stopping her.
I have to agree, it would be a huge mistake to bring Carr back too early. All indications are, if she does make it back this season, and that looks like a big IF, it would only be at the tail end of the season, and then we lose a year of elgeability with her, that i don't think we can afford at this point. One thing we miss with her on the sidelines is her floor leadership. watching these ladies play, they just don't have anyone that seems to be a floor leader out there.
You also may be right in that, our best 3 may be on the sidelines right now. This is a time to get some experience for the younger players. I really like what I see in Dean. I think she will get better and better as time goes on.

valpotx

We absolutely choked away a game we should have won.  Up for most of the game until 10 minutes left in the game, then went down 11.  Fought back to go up by 4 with under 2 minutes left, and made some dumb plays down the stretch, losing 84-78. 

1) Up by 4, they miss a shot and we get the rebound, but away from where the ball was going, we had a defender push off on another player that was not even close to it.  The result is 2 FTs to get them within 2.
2) We were up 2 with 1 minute left, grabbed an offensive rebound, and instead of kicking it out to milk another 30 seconds off the clock, shot a contested inside shot right away.  They get the ball on the fast break and get fouled, resulting in 2 FTs, making 1.
3) Still up 1, we missed a shot with around 40 seconds left, and push the rebounder when we had no chance at getting that ball, resulting in them taking the lead with 2 FTs.
4) Down by 3 with 25 seconds left, take a quick 3, when we could have either tried a driving layup to get it to 1 with time left to foul and get another chance, or get a much better 3 point attempt off. 

Hopefully we clear these mistakes up as the season moves along, as that game should have been won.  TTU had lost by 47 (Akron) and 45 (Mississippi State) in their previous 2 games, so it was a game of equals. 
"Don't mess with Texas"