• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Mid-Major Top 25

Started by valpo4life, December 01, 2014, 05:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpo4life

Here's the link for those of you interested in the updated Mid Major Top 25:

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php

We jumped from unranked to #14. Green Bay sits at #7.

classof2014

Nice to see 3 HL teams represented!

talksalot

I see EKY is #34... and their AD is one of the voters.   Could be a good game Wednesday night.  I hope it's just as good as the other Kentucky school we played on Saturday; perhaps catching the Colonels looking ahead to their next game on Saturday against UK.

valpo4life

Just to update:

Valpo drops from 14 to 15.
Green Bay drops from 7 to 8.
EKU at 33.
Cleveland State at 36.
ETSU 41.
Murray State 42.
Detroit at 52.

agibson

I'll admit that I was surprised to see that Green Bay, and we, barely moved.  Maybe it's good that the voters' perspective is broader than mine!  I think it'd be considerably harder for me to look past the most recent results.

wh

Valpo has moved up to No. 8 in the current Mid Major Top 25 poll:

valpopal

[tweet]547170637706711041[/tweet]

Valpofan00

It had us at 10-2 there...once it updates us to 12-2 will we move up??

bbtds

Quote from: Valpofan00 on December 22, 2014, 05:57:02 PM

They don't count the games against Trinity International and Goshen.

wh

Quote from: bbtds on December 22, 2014, 06:05:03 PM

But they do count IU-South Bend?

bbtds

Quote from: wh on December 22, 2014, 06:40:08 PM

I had forgotten about IUSB. Valpofan00 must be correct. In checking the schedules of GB and Wright St I found they counted their non-Div-I games in their record.

Is it the RPI that doesn't count the non-Div-I games?

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on December 22, 2014, 07:30:56 PM
Quote from: wh on December 22, 2014, 06:40:08 PM

I had forgotten about IUSB. Valpofan00 must be correct. In checking the schedules of GB and Wright St I found they counted their non-Div-I games in their record.

Is it the RPI that doesn't count the non-Div-I games?

RPI does not include non D1 teams.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

valpopal

Valpo has moved ahead of Green Bay and up to #4 in the current College Insider Mid-Major poll: http://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php

[tweet]549714032467640322[/tweet]

valpotx

The 79-52 beat down of a decent JMU team will only help our ranking.
"Don't mess with Texas"

HC

Going to be tough passes any of those other three!

vu72

This team id starting to scare me. We seem to be getting better each game. JMU beat Ball State by 20 and we just killed them on their home flour. How good can they be? Think Missou would want to play us now?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on December 29, 2014, 07:59:47 PMwe just killed them on their home flour. How good can they be?

I heard it was a full flour attack. Those boys were not good!

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Kyle321n

The Missouri game really hurts right now. We are the only team they beat to have a KenPom of under 200. They've beaten old friend Oral Roberts (203), Southeast Missouri State (270), and Elon (223). They also beat Chaminade in Hawaii. They don't have a win outside of their building yet and frankly they don't look like a good team. Losing to the last place team of a down SEC is never good and it looks like that's what we did.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

Valpower

Quote from: Kyle321n on December 30, 2014, 09:08:19 AM
The Missouri game really hurts right now. We are the only team they beat to have a KenPom of under 200. They've beaten old friend Oral Roberts (203), Southeast Missouri State (270), and Elon (223). They also beat Chaminade in Hawaii. They don't have a win outside of their building yet and frankly they don't look like a good team. Losing to the last place team of a down SEC is never good and it looks like that's what we did.

I don't think it hurts that much as it was early in the season, on their home floor.  It's not insignificant that the Tourney selection committee considers a team's last 10 games as part of its criteria; it's a better measure of the team's fitness than how they did while integrating new players and shuffling lineups. Finishing the season on a long winning streak will all but negate the early losses.

hailcrusaders

Speaking of selection committees, I'd hope we still have a shot at an at large bid with maybe one conf loss. On the other hand, the HL has been shafted before (GB last year) and at that rate we might as well win the conf tourney.
#CrusadersForever

a3uge

Quote from: hailcrusaders on December 30, 2014, 05:45:46 PM
Speaking of selection committees, I'd hope we still have a shot at an at large bid with maybe one conf loss. On the other hand, the HL has been shafted before (GB last year) and at that rate we might as well win the conf tourney.
Eh, UWGB was still poorly ranked in RPI, KPOM, etc. The fact they lost at home to UWM in their conference tourney, with two future NBA players, one being the player of the year, and with the coach of the year, to UWM, at home, to a team that finished with a bellow .500 record in conference, at home in the conference tourney really doomed them. You just can't do that and expect to get in based on one early season win at home. SMU was ranked and didn't even get in last year.

hailcrusaders

At the moment, we within the top 80 according to sag, pom, etc.. Hypothetically speaking, with a 15-1 (16-2 with HLT) record from here on out, do you think those rankings would go up? I imagine it would depend on who we'd lose to.
#CrusadersForever

Smj

We will probably have a dumb loss yet this season. ...   It will probably be to the last place HL team on our home court.    It is just what seems to happen.    However, for me it won't take away from what the team accomplishes.     This year has been a bit of a surprise because I thought they would be good but i definitely was not expecting this kind of start.

They can just come out and totally dismantle a team - it is awesome to watch. 

classof2014

Hard to believe we only graduate one big contributor (no pun intended) this season, let us not forget we get our Lexus back next season too!

This group can be very special, perhaps put Valpo over the edge into mid-major stardom once again.

agibson

Green Bay passes us up, but we only fall to 6th.

Week midmajors this year?