• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Trivia Time

Started by chef, August 17, 2015, 09:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chef

I think there's certain parameters when it comes to looking up answers for trivia questions. I see no problem in coming up with an answer and then looking into it to see if it's likely correct, but to just start researching as soon as you read the question ruins the spirit of the game. With that said, everyone is on the honor system.... ;D
This weeks question....During the Drew era, two players have played against the Crusaders and then became the number one pick in the following NBA draft.
Name both players. Good luck.

78crusader

Is Carmelo Anthony one of them?

Paul

valpo95

Quote from: chef on August 31, 2015, 08:28:58 AM
I think there's certain parameters when it comes to looking up answers for trivia questions. I see no problem in coming up with an answer and then looking into it to see if it's likely correct, but to just start researching as soon as you read the question ruins the spirit of the game. With that said, everyone is on the honor system.... ;D
This weeks question....During the Drew era, two players have played against the Crusaders and then became the number one pick in the following NBA draft.
Name both players. Good luck.

Hey, my apologies if I broke the rules, unwritten or otherwise.  My first guess was Barton and Gipson. Then I had the numbers right in front of me so it was hard not to answer.

Good luck to all...

valpo95

chef

Carmelo Anthony is not correct. Lebron was taking ahead of him (as was Darko Milicic). Barton and Gipson were neither a Crusader opponent or the number one pick in the NBA draft.

valpocleveland

bbtds

I've tried to look it up and can't even find the answer now. So unless you are feeling challenged in your internet search skills don't do it.

valpocleveland

Valpo played @tOSU in his very first collegiate game, pretty sure he went #1 overall. I made the trek down I-71 and was one of few not in Scarlet and Grey.

chef

I see one correct answer so far.

valpocleveland

I will make my entry complete and guess a second, Lamar Odom Rhode Island. Not sure if he went #1 though.

covufan

I will go with Glenn Robinson.

a3uge

The Big Dog? Valpo played Purdue a bunch of times in the 90s.

Edit: damn, saw covufan replied first. I'll go with Andrew Bogut as a backup guess.

covufan

Quote from: a3uge on August 31, 2015, 10:40:24 AM
The Big Dog? Valpo played Purdue a bunch of times in the 90s.

Edit: damn, saw covufan replied first. I'll go with Andrew Bogut as a backup guess.
My backup is Elton Brand.

vu72

The kid from St. Louis was a lottery pick, not sure if he was number 1.  I think its Robinson and Oden.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

CrazyCrusader

The answer is Michael Olawakandi from Pacific University.  He graduated the same year as Bryce.   I saw him play vs Valpo in the Big Island Invitational.   

a3uge

I gave up so I glanced at number 1 overall picks and instantly got it. The coach appeared in the first trivia question (as a guess) about father son coaching duos.

Edit, gah so much for the hint.

chef

CrazyCrusader!! A winner! The Candy Man and Oden. Perhaps the two least productive top picks in the last 20 years.

valporun

Olawakandi and Oden, the biggest busts that aren't Sam Bowie.

chef

Sam Bowie was not a number one pick. He went second behind Hakeem.

chef

This week's trivia question.....
When Bryce Drew made "the shot" to beat Ole Miss it was the fourth time in two years that the Crusaders hit a shot at the buzzer to win a game. Name the three Crusaders that hit buzzer beaters during that period, with bonus points awarded if you can name the opponents. There were a few other game winners in the final 10 seconds, but I'm looking for the three true buzzer beaters. Good luck.

Valpo89

I think I remember Bryce hitting a game-winner at Buffalo, and Jamie had a buzzer beater in the Pacific game.

chef

Chairback

Lance Barker vs Western Ill

Valpo89

I think that Lance Barker shot came at the end of a tremendous rally, being down double figures in the last couple minutes. Not sure if that's the one the Chef was thinking of but I do remember watching that game on TV.

chef

looking for a buzzer beater in 1996. Barker's shot did force OT, one of the 8 the Crusaders played that season.

Chairback

Craig Brunes   I want to say he had one but can't remember who against.  He had the corkscrew looking shot.