• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Zion Morgan from Kenwood Academy in Chicago verbally commits to Valpo.

Started by vufan7501, October 09, 2015, 06:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Nice.

He's from Kenwood Academy in the Hyde Park neighborhood which is close to the museum of Science and Industry. (at 51st/Hyde Park Blvd and near Lake Shore Dr, MoS&I is at 57th near Lake Shore Dr.) I've done some work there recently.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VU75

Quote from: historyman on October 10, 2015, 04:04:55 PMHe's from Kenwood Academy in the Hyde Park neighborhood which is close to the museum of Science and Industry. (at 51st/Hyde Park Blvd and near Lake Shore Dr, MoS&I is at 57th near Lake Shore Dr.) I've done some work there recently.

And a couple of blocks away from The President's home.

vu72

No doubt the Christian atmosphere with all the coaches played a big part as well.  His twitter page says "gym rat who prays a lot"!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on October 10, 2015, 08:01:05 PM
No doubt the Christian atmosphere with all the coaches played a big part as well.  His twitter page says "gym rat who prays a lot"!!

This really does seem to be a significant part of our recruiting. Maybe not just men's basketball.  Even some of the soccer players (the Jamaican contingent, among others?) seem like a fairly pious bunch.

justducky

Quote from: agibson on October 11, 2015, 12:20:07 PMThis really does seem to be a significant part of our recruiting. Maybe not just men's basketball.  Even some of the soccer players (the Jamaican contingent, among others?) seem like a fairly pious bunch.
For the national stage defining any team as being a "pious bunch" just doesn't carry quite the same impact as some of the more commonly used adjectives.  ::)

agibson

No kidding.  I don't know if they even really are all that pious - a complicated concept, and I don't know them personally. Some of them seem to splash Jesus language around on social media a bit, that sort of thing. May be just cultural differences. (And maybe even a perfectly American difference, maybe they're just more Evangelical instead of e.g. Lutheran, or main-line Protestant, etc.)