• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

November prediction poll

Started by wh, October 28, 2015, 08:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Predict our November record:

8-0
0 (0%)
7-1
14 (30.4%)
6-2
23 (50%)
5-3
7 (15.2%)
4-4
2 (4.3%)
3-5 or worse
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Voting closed: November 13, 2015, 07:12:53 AM

wh

Following is our 8-game schedule for November (excludes exhibition game):

NOV 13 IPFW
NOV 15 Iona
NOV 17 at Rhode Island
NOV 18 IU Kokomo
NOV 19 Trinity
NOV 22 at Oregon
NOV 24 at Oregon State
NOV 28 at Ball State

wh

I forgot to mention this up front, but you do not have to be a Valpo fan to vote. All opinions are welcomed and respected.

UConnHoops

Oregon State is a GREAT team at home. I would have marked that as an L but they are banged up. Daniel Gomis the starting center will be out until the middle of December. Jarmal Reid a starting forward is recovering from a stress fracture and wont be 100% but should play. To get an At-Large coming out of this stretch 7-1 is important. Oregon State will be a tournament team when they get healthy. Beating RI is huge because it then takes some pressure off the Oregon trip which will be very very very tough.

justducky

If Oregon, RI, Oregon St, and Iona were all neutral court (or better) games then 8-0 would be a strong possibility.
Quote from: UConnHoops on October 28, 2015, 09:01:47 AMTo get an At-Large coming out of this stretch 7-1 is important.
As is 7-1 is a tall but necessary order both for preserving our at-large hopes and for shooting for a respectable 9 or lower seed. We have to find a way toward 7-1 so that is my vote.

govalpogo

I picked 6-2. Our three particularly tough road games (OU, OSU, and RI) are just winnable enough to be frustrating losses.  I think we will pull out at least one of those three, but agree with our UConn friend about really wanting/needing to see this team come through at 7-1.  There's a lot to prove very early on and hopefully we will be poised to come out of the gate very strong because of the Canada trip and tough preseason contests (Indy and Northwestern [shhh!]).  I'm as nervous as I've ever been for a Valpo season, but also very excited.  Here's hoping the team doesn't get lost in the hype!

a3uge

Quote from: wh on October 28, 2015, 08:12:53 AM
Following is our 8-game schedule for November (excludes exhibition game):

NOV 13 IPFW
NOV 15 Iona
NOV 17 at Rhode Island
NOV 18 IU Kokomo
NOV 19 Trinity
NOV 22 at Oregon
NOV 24 at Oregon State
NOV 28 at Ball State

4-2 with losses @URI and @Oregon. 3 games in 5 days with the 5th across the country in the morning vs URI on the road. That's going to be a hard game. This is the best team Valpo will play all year (well excluding their opening round tournament opponent if we get there). I can see us overlooking Iona and dropping that game to a good team as well. Probably the 2nd best team on Valpo's schedule.

Oregon is maybe the 3rd best team Valpo will play all year. Long road trip, playing in a huge arena... that'll be a tough one. I think Valpo is much better than Oregon State and will take that game.

covufan

I also went with 6-2 as well.  I think we can pull one of the RI or OSU games out - not sure about winning both games.  If we do go 7-1, it could be a very special year!

Quote from: a3uge on October 28, 2015, 10:11:35 AMOregon is maybe the 3rd best team Valpo will play all year.

I'm assuming that one of these teams will be in the NCAA tournament, but are you assuming that we play two better teams in the NCAA tournament?  As of now, Oregon is the best team on our schedule, with Rhode Island coming in second.

a3uge

Quote from: covufan on October 28, 2015, 10:21:42 AM
I also went with 6-2 as well.  I think we can pull one of the RI or OSU games out - not sure about winning both games.  If we do go 7-1, it could be a very special year!

Quote from: a3uge on October 28, 2015, 10:11:35 AMOregon is maybe the 3rd best team Valpo will play all year.

I'm assuming that one of these teams will be in the NCAA tournament, but are you assuming that we play two better teams in the NCAA tournament?  As of now, Oregon is the best team on our schedule, with Rhode Island coming in second.

I think URI is the best team we will play. I think they will finish with the highest seed, highest RPI, most wins, etc. Oregon is only returning 54.88% of their minutes, the lowest among teams we play. I am think they're a bit overrated at this point, but also a big unknown. Iona will be very good, and will make the tournament and probably win a game. Oregon State had a bunch of turnover as well, but has a great recruiting class. It may take them awhile to get going.

Oregon, Oregon State, Iona, and URI are all included in Lunardi's Bracketology. All 4 teams have a legit shot at making the tournament, but Oregon, Oregon St, and URI may all be bubble teams.

Pgmado

History tells us Valpo will go either 5-3 or 4-4.

Wrote about this earlier this year. Not saying that's what Valpo will end up, just saying if we let history be our guide, it will be a rough November.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/sizing-up-valparaiso-s-non-conference-history/article_c9dd6554-3d2f-11e5-9079-8ff4a4f74c78.html

vu72

Quote from: Pgmado on October 28, 2015, 01:33:18 PM

Wrote about this earlier this year. Not saying that's what Valpo will end up, just saying if we let history be our guide, it will be a rough November.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/sizing-up-valparaiso-s-non-conference-history/article_c9dd6554-3d2f-11e5-9079-8ff4a4f74c78.html

So Butler wasn't in the top 100 in 2011?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Pgmado

Quote from: vu72 on October 28, 2015, 02:21:13 PM
Quote from: Pgmado on October 28, 2015, 01:33:18 PM

So Butler wasn't in the top 100 in 2011?

I only wrote about non-conference games.

zvillehaze

I voted 6-2.  I think Valpo handles Iona at home, so possible losses are @URI, Oregon and OSU.  I'll say they lose at URI and Oregon, but win at OSU.  With that said, all these games are winnable.  Anything from 5-3 to 8-0 is possible.  :twocents:

cmack

I voted 5-3. Valpo has no track record of winning games that they're not supposed to. Losses at URI, Oregon, and Oregon St. Although I expect at least two of the three to be standard moral victories.

talksalot

I think the URI game will be a bell-weather game for us... I don't believe we've ever lost a game that started before 11am... (I think that would also include a game at the Great Alaska Shootout that started about/after Midnight....)

Chef will correct me if I'm wrong...

Smj

I am really looking forward to this season starting. .....   and I have missed fan zone  - hi all!

My vote 6-2 ...   however it will be two close losses

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

vu84v2

I voted for 5-3. I think 7-1 is possible, but having key games so close to each other (despite an incredibly deep team) is going to cause problems. Please Valpo, prove me wrong.

zvillehaze

VULB#62

Center and PG.  That's the heart of most offenses.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on October 28, 2015, 08:39:27 AM
I forgot to mention this up front, but you do not have to be a Valpo fan to vote. All opinions are welcomed and respected.

You don't have to upload a picture of your Bryce Drew memorabilia?   ;D

Valpower

Rhode Island knocked off #21 Nebraska 66-62 in overtime. Our contest with them will tell us a lot about our team if the usual close game with IPFW hasn't already.  Iona won't be a cakewalk, but I'll be real disappointed if we don't beat them handily.  Iona will basically be playing an away game with apparently no exhibition experience at all.

Pgmado

Iona is one of 11 unanimous picks to win its conference according to CBSSports. Valparaiso and Belmont also on that list. 

Pgmado

When are the Over/Unders for the season coming out?

Valpower

Quote from: Pgmado on November 09, 2015, 02:41:51 PM
Iona is one of 11 unanimous picks to win its conference according to CBSSports. Valparaiso and Belmont also on that list. 

Maybe their having played no exhibition games will mean they haven't had their confidence knocked down a peg?  Still, I wouldn't want to play Valpo in their gym as the first test.

bbtds

Quote from: Pgmado on November 09, 2015, 02:42:58 PM
When are the Over/Unders for the season coming out?

Somebody needs to take it over since LaPorteAveApostle will no longer be with us.

vufan7501

Quote from: Pgmado on November 09, 2015, 02:41:51 PM
Speaking of Iona, they have an excellent shooter in Isaiah Williams. Shoots for a high % for both 3 point and 2 point shots. Will be a player to watch in that game.

Pomeroy has labeled him as a top 5 shooter in the country as I recall from a quick twitter glance.