• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 1, University of Indianapolis, November 3

Started by vu72, November 01, 2015, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humbleopinion

I couldn't believe that I was watching a "Top 50" team tonight.  There was not much that was impressive.

Why was Lexus at the end of the bench and totally out of the rotation.  Is he still not recovered?
Beamin' Beacons

truth219

Mediocre at best

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

VULB#62

Plus: Alec's 34 points in 28 minutes. Minus: no one else in double figures. Plus: Win. Minus:  Not dominant enough vs. a D-Ii team.  That and the rumor of the NU spanking -- lets temper some initial expectations. This season may not be the cake walk almost everybody envisioned. The sooner everybody (team and fans alike) grasps that, the faster we become better. Actually this result was a good thing. Now on to the real season with perhaps better perspective and a greater sense of purpose. 

valpocleveland

Let's all take a step back from the ledge.

1) "rumor of the NU spanking". It's a closed door scrimmage. Who knows what happened, who played, etc. I take nothing from this other than some frustrations on why this could not have been an open door regular season game, I digress.

2) I did not listen to the game last night but looking at the play-by-play Indy never led the ENTIRE game. It was tied twice: at the start and at 13. From what I have read they are a solid D2 team. Should we have beat them, yes, and we did. Should we have won bigger, probably, but it does not matter. We won, no one got injured and the real fun begins next Friday. It's going to be a fun season, enjoy the ride.

a3uge

Valpo lost to Bethel in 1997 in their first game and went on to the Sweet 16.

vu72

Sure, Northwestern, who has never even made it to an NCAA tournament spanked us. Right.  It was a scrimmage!  We tried things, they tried things, that is how a scrimmage works. Nobody keeps score.

As for last night, this wasn't a "solid" D2, they are ranked 8th in the coaches poll.  Five D1 transfers and plenty of experience.  Should we have won?  Of course.  If it weren't an exhibition game would we have played 10 guys for most of the game?  Nope.  When Lexus is back will Max play less--maybe not at all? Probably.  When E Victor is back will he help out?  Yep.  Relax...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo4life

I'd give some credit to UIndy. They were a good team with the athletes to keep up and played hard. I would much rather play a team like this for our exhibition game than a team that wouldn't challenge us whatsoever. I don't care about the result, I was just happy to be back in the ARC and watching this team play. Alec looks even more improved, and with this year's "points of emphasis", expect him to put up big numbers via the free throw line. The only way to really stop him is to be physical on the perimeter and if the officials aren't going to let you be, well, good luck.

agibson

Quote from: valpo4life on November 04, 2015, 10:59:17 AMand with this year's "points of emphasis"

Perhaps you could remind me?

I was basically OK with the way the 30 second shot clock went. Didn't notice a lot of desperation at the end - seemed like they'd made the adjustment.

VULB#62

Quote from: Pgmado on November 04, 2015, 06:11:50 PM
For the message board crowd...

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/are-valparaiso-s-expectations-unrealistic/article_7b8cec54-834c-11e5-91b7-37249ad2f283.html
Great perspective Paul. Every nail was hit on the head. We now have to actually play the next 30 or so games. I might add that it will be with the same players we had last year.  Even though we return 98% of our scoring, will that change today what we did last year?  Yes, there will be some maturation since last March, but let's take this season one game at a time starting with the first game. I, for one, will follow this team one game at a time. We can possibly win every game on the schedule -- or lose a whole bunch of close ones. Let's just enjoy the ride

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 04, 2015, 07:03:15 PMI might add that it will be with the same players we had last year

Though I definitely did like some of what I saw from Hammink.  And, for a freshman, Smitts was pretty impressive.

agibson

Quote from: Pgmado on November 04, 2015, 06:11:50 PM
For the message board crowd...

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/inside-vu-sports/are-valparaiso-s-expectations-unrealistic/article_7b8cec54-834c-11e5-91b7-37249ad2f283.html

By all means, click the link and read the whole article.

But, I can't resist pulling out one delicious quote,
Vashil Fernandez didn't block every shot. Tevonn Walker didn't dunk on every player. The Crusaders didn't connect on the home run play when they ran it. Darien Walker didn't get that extra point and extra two rebounds to get a double double. The nerve of these guys.

How dare they not beat Indianapolis by 50 points while curing cancer, solving world hunger and dropping the greatest mixtape ever recorded all at once?

valpo4life

Quote from: agibson on November 04, 2015, 01:06:31 PM
Quote from: valpo4life on November 04, 2015, 10:59:17 AMand with this year's "points of emphasis"

Perhaps you could remind me?

I was basically OK with the way the 30 second shot clock went. Didn't notice a lot of desperation at the end - seemed like they'd made the adjustment.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2015-10-30/college-basketball-why-game-could-be-faster-season

This article lays it all out, essentially they want a more offensive game with freedom of movement

hailcrusaders

Quote from: valpo4life on November 04, 2015, 08:49:40 PM
Quote from: agibson on November 04, 2015, 01:06:31 PM
Perhaps you could remind me? I was basically OK with the way the 30 second shot clock went. Didn't notice a lot of desperation at the end - seemed like they'd made the adjustment.
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2015-10-30/college-basketball-why-game-could-be-faster-season This article lays it all out, essentially they want a more offensive game with freedom of movement

Seems suspiciously to me like the NCAA is trying to discourage physical, grind-it-out play style (See Wright St. or Wisconsin) in favor of faster-paced, run-and-gun tempos (Oakland, Detroit of years past). Make it more like the NBA.

Perhaps this is because game scores of 80-75 "sell" better and draw more attention than a "boring" 60-55 ballgame. Or maybe not. Don't like it regardless, but I guess I'll get used to it.
#CrusadersForever

justducky

Quote from: valpo4life on November 04, 2015, 10:59:17 AMAlec looks even more improved, and with this year's "points of emphasis", expect him to put up big numbers via the free throw line
If these "points of emphasis" are consistently enforced and not abandoned mid season like they were 2 years back then then I view them as another net positive for VU 2015-16 basketball. Because of our depth, quickness, size and experience the more the whistle blows the better we should like it.

A deep rotation bench coupled with extremely active whistles could equate to near total HL dominance. There are two caveats. We will need to recognize the extent of change early on and adapt accordingly as well as improve on our team free throw shooting.

VULB#62

Quote from: justducky on November 05, 2015, 10:53:57 AM
We will need to recognize the extent of change early on and adapt accordingly as well as improve on our team free throw shooting.

valpotx

Tyler Rambo has to consider us his #1 enemy.  He will end his career 0-4 against Valpo, going back to his three years at Murray State, and this year at Indy.
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: valpotx on November 06, 2015, 12:02:50 AMTyler Rambo has to consider us his #1 enemy.  He will end his career 0-4 against Valpo, going back to his three years at Murray State, and this year at Indy.

FYI, UIndy lost to Auburn last night 114-109 in overtime.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

Quote from: historyman on November 06, 2015, 07:28:38 AM
Quote from: valpotx on November 06, 2015, 12:02:50 AMTyler Rambo has to consider us his #1 enemy.  He will end his career 0-4 against Valpo, going back to his three years at Murray State, and this year at Indy.

#30 Eric Davidson (HSE) had 31 points and #3 Jordan Loyd (Furman U) had 33 points. Rambo (MSU) had 12 points. After my friend watching several Valpo games at my house on the internet I watched the UIndy/Auburn game on the internet at his house. I assume it was much like the Greyhounds game against Valpo by hanging tight until the very end but falling short.

VULB#62

Quote from: historyman on November 06, 2015, 07:28:38 AM

Gee Willickers!  Maybe we can play some defense and control a quality opponent after all. Yeah, maybe our exhibition win had more positives than negatives.  And maybe we'll be OK. Maybe.   ;)

covufan

Quote from: historyman on November 06, 2015, 07:28:38 AMFYI, UIndy lost to Auburn last night 114-109 in overtime.

Sounds like the Indy press may need to follow a non-division I team this year.  Hope they do well this season!

Chairback

we should have beat Uindy by 20+. I'm not giving them any love. to be honest auburn is not a good barometer for us to compare to.

I don't think anyone is in panic mode as Paul is suggesting.  I think we said we played mediocre and not up to the rankings we have received in the preseason FOR THIS GAME. The hype is real and we all know it.  Even Paul has contributed to the hype and expectations. 

It will be very fun to watch once they start figuring out roles and playing it out. 

vu72

Quote from: Chairback on November 06, 2015, 12:50:42 PM
we should have beat Uindy by 20+. I'm not giving them any love. to be honest auburn is not a good barometer for us to compare to.

I don't think anyone is in panic mode as Paul is suggesting.  I think we said we played mediocre and not up to the rankings we have received in the preseason FOR THIS GAME. The hype is real and we all know it.  Even Paul has contributed to the hype and expectations. 

It will be very fun to watch once they start figuring out roles and playing it out. 

You are probably right but nonetheless, Bruce Pearl's teams generally play hard and will be pretty solid.  Auburn is projected to be a middle of the pack SEC team this year. They are big (7'2" 245#, 6'10' 228#, 6'9' 220# plus 4 others 6'7' or taller) and had 2 top 100 recruits in their freshman class.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: valpotx on November 06, 2015, 12:02:50 AM
Tyler Rambo has to consider us his #1 enemy.  He will end his career 0-4 against Valpo, going back to his three years at Murray State, and this year at Indy.

Murray State could have used Rambo last night:

The Murray State Racers dropped an 87-85 exhibition game in overtime Thursday to (NAIA) Freed-Hardeman at the CFSB Center in Murray, Ky.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on November 06, 2015, 08:00:46 PM
Quote from: valpotx on November 06, 2015, 12:02:50 AM

Murray State could have used Rambo last night:

The Murray State Racers dropped an 87-85 exhibition game in overtime Thursday to (NAIA) Freed-Hardeman at the CFSB Center in Murray, Ky.

I can't imagine what some of those Murray State fans, who we saw in Nashville last season and were screaming at the refs as the first half ended against Valpo, are going through after losing their coach to Iowa State and now have lost an exhibition game to an NAIA.

http://athletics.fhu.edu/article/2511.php#.VkGGv7erQ7Y

Murray State's DeMarcus Croaker would start off the overtime period with a 3-point shot to put the Racers up 79-76. The Lions would match points with the Racers for the remainder of the overtime period until the 85-85 mark when the Lions would call a timeout to set up a final play with 15 seconds remaining.

Forhetz handled the ball for the final play and passed it over to Orlando Bass who was set up at the three-point line. Bass would attempt to weave through two defenders and would nearly lose the ball before recovering it and firing up an off-balanced shot from just inside the three-point line that found the bottom of the net with 1.4 seconds remaining in the overtime period. The final shot by Bass would be all the Lions would need to pick up the 87-85 upset victory over the Racers.