• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Real Game #1 - IPFW - 11/13-7:30

Started by VULB#62, November 10, 2015, 11:36:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Over the course of four years, the school failed to monitor its financial aid and meal processes due to incorrect practices that caused the school to misapply NCAA rules and incorrectly calculate financial aid elements. The impermissible financial aid given to 52 student-athletes totaled more than $42,000.

Two years of probation, starting now.

talksalot

but no post-season ban...at least that's the way I read it.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on November 25, 2015, 03:13:52 PM
but no post-season ban...at least that's the way I read it.

Yeah, seems like mostly a warning.

And maybe that's all that's merited for what may have just been an accounting error. If a systemic one.

valpo64

They were also fined $15,000.  I would think that could be a small "hurt" on their limited athletic budgeting, especially when their largest income comes from their basketball program, where they usually draw around 800  to 1,100 people.

bbtds

Quote from: valpo64 on November 25, 2015, 04:32:06 PM
They were also fined $15,000.  I would think that could be a small "hurt" on their limited athletic budgeting, especially when their largest income comes from their basketball program, where they usually draw around 800  to 1,100 people.

They probably draw about the same for their men's volleyball program which has previously won national championships and finishes near the top every year. I remember seeing a bunch of banners in their Gates Center for men's volleyball.

The 'Dons will have matches against Stanford, Sacred Heart, Harvard, Lewis, Loyola (Homecoming), Quincy, Lindenwood, Lourdes, Charleston, Ball State, Grand Canyon, McKendree and Ohio State at the Gates Center. They have matches on the road at St Francis-PA, Penn State, George Mason, NJIT, Ohio State, McKendree, Ball State, Puerto Rico-Rio Piedras, Lindenwood, Quincy, Loyola and Lewis.

VULB#62

"Over 4 years.... 52 student athletes totalled more than $42,000."  That's.... $42K/52 =  $807.70. Per student over 4 years ($202 annually per student ???).  Yeah, sure looks like an admin issue. Good to see the NCAA is on top of rampant corruption in our nation's big-time  universities.