• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Scores of Interest and Amusement

Started by Valpower, November 13, 2015, 10:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valpower

I thought I would start this topic for scores that are discussion-worthy, but aren't Horizon League related, necessarily.  As we experience this season with unrealistically-high expectations, we'll no doubt be in need of the kind of perspective that only stepping out of the Horizon League can provide.  To kick it off, Western Illinois beat #17 Wisconsin, Belmont beat Marquette, and Green Bay has currently taken Stanford to OT.

VULB#62

Valpower

#2 Kentucky beats Albany by only 13 points.  Albany is no slouch as they were tabbed to finish 2nd in the America East conference, but they are in the 29th-ranked (RPI) America East conference.

ValpoHoops

Valpower

Quote from: ValpoHoops on November 14, 2015, 09:28:22 PM
Butler scored 144 today
As a former DePauw student, I'm glad they finally beat someone as badly as they beat us (115).  This surely fits in to the "amusement" category, though.

agibson

I've been pleased to see some of Alec's quotes. That he thinks we need to mdindtat extra gear to finish an opponent like that (ok, maybe not 144 - but I wouldn't complain about a 20 point win sometime). And that he thinks we have the personnel and talent for a deep tourney run .

VULB#62

Quote from: Valpower on November 14, 2015, 11:50:16 PM
Quote from: ValpoHoops on November 14, 2015, 09:28:22 PM
Butler scored 144 today
As a former DePauw student, I'm glad they finally beat someone as badly as they beat us (115).  This surely fits in to the "amusement" category, though.

And they beat up on a D-I team -- The Citadel.

valporun

Something to hang your hat on, beating up on a military school. Of course, I hope The Citadel enjoyed their pay day.

talksalot

79-year-ago TODAY... the Torch preview of the Home Opener ...complete with picture of Boucher Gym....where we played our home games from 1927 to 1939

http://collections.valpo.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/torch/id/3759/rec/44

covufan

Quote from: talksalot on December 10, 2015, 09:15:55 AM
79-year-ago TODAY... the Torch preview of the Home Opener ...complete with picture of Boucher Gym....where we played our home games from 1927 to 1939

http://collections.valpo.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/torch/id/3759/rec/44

And below the picture an ad for "Ye Old Style Inn, Valpo's Smartest Restaurant".

vu84v2

Milwaukee over Wisconsin (at Wisconsin) last night. Definitely helps the standing of the Horizon League.

Still amazed that UCLA beat Kentucky after losing at home to Monmouth (NJ) and playing 40 minutes of matador defense against Kansas in Hawaii.

VULB#62

For Amusement Only:  Sagarin has Valpo at number 43; UCLA at ............. number 48.

talksalot

Kampe / Felder may have exposed a little something about Sparty... Hawkeyes up 12 with 5:16 to play at Carver-Hawkeye...

talksalot

Kinda fun to watch the impact of a game on the RPI's...

Michigan State fell from 2 to 3 after losing
Iowa jumped from 34 to 19 immediately after their win
Oakland fell from 93 to 98 on the MSU loss

That Iowa - Purdue matchup Saturday night at Mackey will be a good one!

valporun

I was watching BTN last night, when they were previewing MSU going into last night's game, and they were showing that Tum Tum was a weak player inside against Oakland. Not sure where he came from, but he definitely doesn't look good for Izzo's needs this year.

valpospartan

Quote from: valporun on December 30, 2015, 11:04:10 AM
I was watching BTN last night, when they were previewing MSU going into last night's game, and they were showing that Tum Tum was a weak player inside against Oakland. Not sure where he came from, but he definitely doesn't look good for Izzo's needs this year.

Tum tum is a great point guard, with one glaring exception - poor outside shooting.  He runs the team quite well.  He also may be one of the fastest players in the country - his coast to coast drives are things of beauty.

talksalot

#1 RPI going into today... Xavier...Went to Philly to play Villanova... Wildcats won by 31 !... after it was posted... the NEW RPI rankings by Nolan:

#1.  Xavier
#2.  Villanova

Xavier's SOS is #2
Nova's SOS is #3

Only 3 undefeated teams left...

valpo64

Interesting comment heard on the OU/VA game...all of Oakland's player Hooper's shots have been 3-pointers so far this year.  Hard to believe.  On an unrelated subject...I just saw a picture of this year's team and all were wearing the gold/yellow shoes.  I thought they looked great.  Why don't all the players wear the same style shoe?

mvandersee

Missouri St. lost by 13 @ Illinois St. yesterday, MSU is now 4-9 (0-1 MVC)

talksalot

Mississippi Valley State 66 Arkansas Pine Bluff 60... MVSU wins their home opener... and first game of the year.

Valpower

Michigan State about to lose to unranked Nebraska, further tarnishing Oakland's excellent loss. (Sigh, I've got to stop picking on them.)

talksalot

Manhattan 78 Monmouth 71... Manhattan RPI 224... Monmouth now at #27... second loss in 12 games... both to 200+ RPI teams on the road (Army being the other one)

Hawks drop to 6-2 in conference, tied with Iona for second place behind St Peters, who is the Gaels opponent on Friday night.

vu72

So Oregon beats No.21 USC, that helps.  Belmont wins on the road by a bunch, that helps.  Good night!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

So, GW is giving away tickets and moved their Rhody game up because of the storm....

George Mason is doing this, for their scheduled game with Duquesne ... moving the game to their tiny on-campus facility...

The George Mason men's basketball game originally scheduled for Saturday against Duquesne has been moved up to Friday afternoon due to the impending winter snow storm "Jonas" that is scheduled to hit the greater Washington area this weekend. The Atlantic 10 Conference game against the Dukes will be played at the RAC on the Fairfax campus with a 2 p.m. tip. The Patriots home court EagleBank arena is not a viable option for Friday afternoon due to an event earlier in the day.

Attendance to Friday's game will be limited to Mason students with a valid Mason student ID; men's basketball season ticket holders and those who have already purchased single-game tickets for this game.  Friday's rescheduled game is sold out and tickets will not be available at the door. All seating will be general admission on a first-come, first-served basis.  Current ticket holders who are unable to attend the rescheduled game may exchange their ticket at the EagleBank Arena box office for a future 2015-16 home game, based on availability.

The RAC's capacity is 1,550 and has played host to three Mason basketball games in the six years since the venue opened. Earlier this season, the women's basketball team defeated Air Force 69-52 in a non-conference game on December 19. Men's basketball played Catawba last season on December 17, 2014. On April 3, 2013, in front of a raucous capacity crowd, the men's basketball team defeated Santa Clara, 73-66 in game two of a best-of-three series in the College Basketball Invitational (CBI) Finals.

The Game of the Week for Mason students, which features a Mason Bomber Snow Hat giveaway:'(  will still take place.

Fans can watch the game on the Atlantic 10 Network and listen to the Voice of the Patriots Bill Rohland on the GoMason Digital Network.

The RAC is located at 4350 Banister Creek Ct off Patriot Circle on campus. All fans driving to the game must park in lots J or K adjacent to the RAC.

talksalot

Looking at the Saturday 1/22 scheduled games... I'm guessing something will happen to these due to MegaStorm Jonas:

Davidson @ Richmond
UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Va. – Due to the impending inclement weather, this weekend's men's basketball game at the University of Richmond will be moved to Monday, January 25, at the Robins Center.

The men's basketball game against Davidson, scheduled for Saturday, will be played Monday at 7 p.m., while the women's basketball game against crosstown rival VCU scheduled for Sunday at 3 p.m. has been switched to a road game for the Spiders at the Siegel Center on Monday at 7 p.m. The tilt with the Rams scheduled to take place at VCU on Feb. 14 has been switched to the Robins Center at a time to be determined.

NC Central @ Delaware State (what else can go wrong for the Hornets?)

Dover, Del. (Jan. 22, 2016) --- The Delaware State/North Carolina Central women & men's basketball doubleheader scheduled for Saturday Jan. 23 has been postedponed due to the major storm that's been forcasted for the East Coast.  The games are expected to be re-scheduled, although a make-up date has not been set.