• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 2: Valparaiso vs. Iona

Started by govalpogo, November 14, 2015, 03:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: govalpogo on November 15, 2015, 04:13:23 PM
Sundays are long in the life of a Pastor.  I will look forward to savoring the victory on ESPN 3 this evening!

Caught 2nd half myself at the ARC after the congregation annual meeting. But, indeed, watching the replay right now with my pastor.

vu72

Quote from: FWalum on November 15, 2015, 07:04:30 PM
Much better performance than the IPFW game on Friday. The balance was amazing and it was great to see Tevonn getting on track.  We are much better when Alec doesn't have to shoulder the load.  Too much talent to have a 20 ppg scorer.  Really scared that Skara might be on the self for a while and not liking what we are hearing about the potential season ending injury to Derrik.  Also hope we didn't just get Nickerson back for only one game this season. Iona was completely unprepared for the way we shut down English.  You would have thought they took notice of the Green Bay games last year and what we were able to do with Sykes.  Not being able to run their offense through English caused them real problems. They are a long and fairly quick team, but could not handle us physically.
[/b]

I keep reading about us being a really good "mid-major" but at the same time I'm wondering how many "majors" could matchup with us physically.  At points today, if I'm not mistaken, we had Vashi; at 6'10", Alec at 6'9". E at 6'8" and Shane at 6'7" plus a short guy, probably only 6'1".  The length and quickness has got to give all those team who hope to run their offense through a 6'2" guard, cause for reflection.  Imagine Keifer Sykes trying to get on course with a guy like E or Shane breathing down your neck.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

ValpoDad89

I'm new to the board but a long time Valpo fan. I graduated from DePaul and had season tix for years and then they really soured. So my daughters and I came to Valpo to give my wife a break and enjoy "good" basketball for a change. Because of those trips, my daughter is now a Freshman here and a Crusaderette. I couldn't be prouder nor as a parent, any prouder for her picking a GREAT institution for higher learning.

The best being I get to go every home game!!! As a hoops fan, our FT shooting needs to improve as the season wears on but more succinctly soon. We get Belmont twice, Rhode Island (down their best player) and the 2 Oregon State schools. We can make a mark OOC and while we should win the Horizon, wins here give us RPI points to maybe get an at large.

What I saw today was complete team basketball. When Alec Peters is in single digits well into the second half, that is actually great for us as it shows the depth we have. We literally dominated a team that is going to win to some serious basketball games. Plus as another poste said, our team and Iona "squared" off in prayer and that impressed me more than any play on the court. God bless every one of those kids and U.S. To for,that matter!!!

Man it's great to be a Crusader!!!!

agibson

QuoteI keep reading about us being a really good "mid-major" but at the same time I'm wondering how many "majors" could matchup with us physically.  At points today, if I'm not mistaken, we had Vashi; at 6'10", Alec at 6'9". E at 6'8" and Shane at 6'7" plus a short guy, probably only 6'1".  The length and quickness has got to give all those team who hope to run their offense through a 6'2" guard, cause for reflection.  Imagine Keifer Sykes trying to get on course with a guy like E or Shane breathing down your neck.

We ran this with Skara in place of EVic today, and also against IPFW. All sorts of interesting possibilities.

Watching the replay, interesting to see that Iona was doing several things well in the opening minutes.  English drew fouls on Valpo in their first... three possessions?

And their press turned us over on their first two made baskets.

It's a good thing our defense was forcing them to throw up such awful shots.  Definitely kept us in the game in the early going.

wh

Welcome to the board, Dad89.  Great 1st post. Keep them coming!   :thumbsup:

vu72

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on November 15, 2015, 09:58:53 PM
I'm new to the board but a long time Valpo fan. I graduated from DePaul and had season tix for years and then they really soured. So my daughters and I came to Valpo to give my wife a break and enjoy "good" basketball for a change. Because of those trips, my daughter is now a Freshman here and a Crusaderette. I couldn't be prouder nor as a parent, any prouder for her picking a GREAT institution for higher learning.

The best being I get to go every home game!!! As a hoops fan, our FT shooting needs to improve as the season wears on but more succinctly soon. We get Belmont twice, Rhode Island (down their best player) and the 2 Oregon State schools. We can make a mark OOC and while we should win the Horizon, wins here give us RPI points to maybe get an at large.

What I saw today was complete team basketball. When Alec Peters is in single digits well into the second half, that is actually great for us as it shows the depth we have. We literally dominated a team that is going to win to some serious basketball games. Plus as another poste said, our team and Iona "squared" off in prayer and that impressed me more than any play on the court. God bless every one of those kids and U.S. To for,that matter!!!

Man it's great to be a Crusader!!!!

Welcome Dad!  Your daughter and your family made a great decision.  Valpo is a special place, as you will find out over time.  Some of us graduated "many" years ago yet find great pride in knowing that Valpo is always "home" for us.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

I know we have members of the athletic dept. staff following the board, so I'll mention this here. There is a problem with the sound system in the the post game press conference room.  There is a loud humming sound in the background causing significant distortion and making it difficult to hear/understand what the players are saying. This was not a problem at all last year.

vu84v2

Great win. Iona is going to be a good team as the season progresses and this win will look better and better in the coming months.

Time for Rhody with national TV exposure!

oklahomamick

I understand that was Iona's first game and they will improve and have a good chance to play in the ncaa tournament at the end of the year.  In my opinion, they looked like a bad version of Detroit.  They threw up shots and lacked discipline on both sides of the ball, yet athletic.  They were Detroit but less athletic and even less disciplined.   :twocents:
CRUSADERS!!!

SanityLost17

I simply cannot comprehend how a sub-par LSU team (at that time) did not renew Shane's scholarship and did not play him!  The only complaint I have on him right now is that is has a tendency to push the ball up a little too quickly and can get himself into awkward situations that can lead to turnovers.  I have a feeling this is something he will get under control in the next few games and is simply a side effect of sitting out last year and not getting much game time at LSU.   

I really hope that Nickerson's wrist is ok as he looked better than ever last night.  I have a feeling that it is simply going to hurt him all season and that just like with his hips, it will be a pain management sort of thing.  I really hope this was not a case of putting an injured player out there too soon...

Darien appeared to be the odd man out at the 2/3 positions yesterday for the more important stretches of the game.  If Skara and Nickerson are not 100% by Tuesday he will obviously get a lot more playing time.     

agibson

Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 16, 2015, 09:45:42 AMI really hope that Nickerson's wrist is ok as he looked better than ever last night.  I have a feeling that it is simply going to hurt him all season and that just like with his hips, it will be a pain management sort of thing.

Luke, in the post-game, said that the ice was an expected precaution. That he'll probably be icing his wrist after every game.  Having it happen during the game was presumably just a sign that he wasn't needed any further yesterday, with Lexus and Nick getting some minutes.

So, hopefully everything is OK.  I'm more worried about Skara, short term.  But, I suppose there's a chance that an EVic reinjury could have long-term consequences.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on November 16, 2015, 12:23:22 PM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 16, 2015, 09:45:42 AMI really hope that Nickerson's wrist is ok as he looked better than ever last night.  I have a feeling that it is simply going to hurt him all season and that just like with his hips, it will be a pain management sort of thing.

Luke, in the post-game, said that the ice was an expected precaution. That he'll probably be icing his wrist after every game.  Having it happen during the game was presumably just a sign that he wasn't needed any further yesterday, with Lexus and Nick getting some minutes.

So, hopefully everything is OK.  I'm more worried about Skara, short term.  But, I suppose there's a chance that an EVic reinjury could have long-term consequences.

E sounded  like it was no big deal during the post game presser.  David may be slowed but these kids heal pretty quickly and tape is a marvelous thing! So I was wondering why Livingston-Simon didn't get into the game during mop up.  He appeared to have a face mask on top of his head so maybe he got hit during practice and just din't want to risk a further injury.

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on November 16, 2015, 12:41:21 PMSo I was wondering why Livingston-Simon didn't get into the game during mop up.  He appeared to have a face mask on top of his head so maybe he got hit during practice and just din't want to risk a further injury.

Yeah, I saw the mask too.  Have we _ever_ seen him on the floor?  I was beginning to think it was a "minutes are precious, we're going to save them for the top 12" sort of situation.

Sort of like Lexus being sidelined out of the top 10.  But maybe injuries are a factor.

wh

I don't know what the official attendance was, but I'll categorize it as typically underwhelming and borderline pathetic. Regardless of the day of the week or time of day, 2 Top50 teams playing In what was billed as the national Mid Major game of the week should draw better than 3500 (or whatever). The ValparAiso community doesn't deserve a top notch local bb program. Come to think of it, it doesn't deserve a top notch university in its midst either.

agibson

Quote from: wh on November 16, 2015, 05:09:42 PMI don't know what the official attendance was

It's listed as 2769.  After a good crowd for IPFW, I have trouble explaining it.  I guess at lunchtime on Sunday, people just aren't thinking basketball? The _quality_ of the crowd in the upper deck Sunday was high - informed, interested viewers, say. But the numbers weren't there.

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on November 16, 2015, 05:09:42 PM
I don't know what the official attendance was, but I'll categorize it as typically underwhelming and borderline pathetic. Regardless of the day of the week or time of day, 2 Top50 teams playing In what was billed as the national Mid Major game of the week should draw better than 3500 (or whatever). The ValparAiso community doesn't deserve a top notch local bb program. Come to think of it, it doesn't deserve a top notch university in its midst either.

From afar I think that the problem was the time: 1:30?  As mentioned by some, too close to post church. meeting / family lunch time. For non-church goers, it was right in the middle of the weekend yard work day -- got to rake those leaves.   IMO a 3:30 (or even a 2:30) start would have drawn better. 

This game would also have been a great opportunity for a pre-game tailgate. Oh, wait...... we don't do that at Valpo. Again, an opportunity to create enthusiasm and develop local/fan/alumni excitement stiffled by policies that undermine the very thing that the university is striving for.

justducky

Quote from: oklahomamick on November 16, 2015, 09:19:41 AMI understand that was Iona's first game and they will improve and have a good chance to play in the ncaa tournament at the end of the year.  In my opinion, they looked like a bad version of Detroit.  They threw up shots and lacked discipline on both sides of the ball, yet athletic.  They were Detroit but less athletic and even less disciplined.   
I don't think that your opinion is completely wrong but didn't Detroit beat us late last February?

HC

So Valpo has a population of 32,000 plus (as of 2013-it was the first number I saw) and you expect more then 10% of them to show up for a game against Iona?  I mean considering the large group of Iona grads in our town I guess that's realistic.

sliman

Same might be said for the percentage of students attending the first two games.  We probably have a larger percentage of our student body present than would most B10s.  And kudos to the students for their support in the first two games; they lead the fan support -- and when student support is weak the crowd is less involved as well.

oklahomamick

Quote from: justducky on November 16, 2015, 05:59:12 PMI understand that was Iona's first game and they will improve and have a good chance to play in the ncaa tournament at the end of the year.  In my opinion, they looked like a bad version of Detroit.  They threw up shots and lacked discipline on both sides of the ball, yet athletic.  They were Detroit but less athletic and even less disciplined.    I don't think that your opinion is completely wrong but didn't Detroit beat us late last February?

Indeed they did.  Iona could beat Valpo as well and things may have been different if the game was played at Iona.  (Our lost to Detroit late in the season was at Detroit).  My point was the style was similar to Detroit. 

Gaels just tried to do too much by themselves instead of sharing the ball.   Quote from SB nation.  Isn't that similar to Detroit?  [/size]You could see it from the start as the best player on Iona, [/size]A.J. English[/size] tried to kickstart the offense on his own early. Another Quote from SB nation and yet similar to the J. Howard and JR days. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Iona lost by 20 points to Oregon St last night. 
CRUSADERS!!!