• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 4: IU-Kokomo 11/18 7:00PM

Started by VULB#62, November 17, 2015, 03:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

govalpogo

Yea...I get it...I would feel a little more satisfied if the score was even 80-39 though.  Petty I admit, but it just looks better. 

Chairback

Quote from: vu72 on November 18, 2015, 08:56:40 PMThat is classless on the surface against a team clearly over matched and troubling on a deeper note. How much humiliation do you need to inflict on a team trying their best against a far superior opponent?  Why schedule these games if humiliation is your purpose? Bush League at it's best..

You got it right.  Poor sportsmanship all around.  No reason for it for it whatsoever.  Running up the score doesn't make your team look awesome, it makes your program look like asses. Apparently their PA announcer kept reminding the crowd of a "new Butler scoring record" each time they scored more.  If they were playing a team other than the Citadel there would have been a brawl for the way they handled that game.  Classless.

IndyValpo

Quote from: vu72 on November 18, 2015, 08:56:40 PMA classy performance and all that was needed.  We had some bench guys get some minutes and rested those who also needed it.  I have to say that hearing about Butler scoring 144 or 106 against St. Joe's tells me much about their program and none of it is good.  That is classless on the surface against a team clearly over matched and troubling on a deeper note. How much humiliation do you need to inflict on a team trying their best against a far superior opponent?  Why schedule these games if humiliation is your purpose? Bush League at it's best..

I dislike Butler as much or more than anyone on this board but The Citadel game had much less to do with Butler and all to do with the opponent. Think Dale Carlson....their new coach was successful at VMI using a hybrid Loyola Marymount / Grinnell style, basically run and shoot 3's as fast as you can. He does not have a team capable of doing this but they are running it anyway. They took 50 3's in this game making 10. Butler played no starter over 26 minutes, played everyone. Both walk-on's played about 10 minutes.

agibson

Quote from: Smj on November 18, 2015, 07:30:33 PM
Video/sound feed is horrible .....

Go Valpo!

I hope this hasn't been typical of home games?

I don't love the ESPN3 interface on my Mac, but I tested it against my iPod with a better interface.  It seems clear that there were problems with the audio _and_ the video, separately. Lots of stutters, skipped frames, silences, etc.  On top of missing the first chunk of the game.

Really painful to watch. We've gotten used to a higher standard. 

And really annoying that the symptoms were about the same as if the _viewer's_ computer had problems: CPU overload, or slow connection, etc.

(And, for the most part, the _audio_ always has been more reliable.  Even in the old low res days.  The video might flip to a lower resolution, or might have natively been lower res. But we at least got continuous audio.)

I wonder what the trouble was?  Hopefully it won't become a habit.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on November 19, 2015, 11:57:28 AM
Quote from: Smj on November 18, 2015, 07:30:33 PM
Video/sound feed is horrible .....

Go Valpo!

I hope this hasn't been typical of home games?

I don't love the ESPN3 interface on my Mac, but I tested it against my iPod with a better interface.  It seems clear that there were problems with the audio _and_ the video, separately. Lots of stutters, skipped frames, silences, etc.  On top of missing the first chunk of the game.

Really painful to watch. We've gotten used to a higher standard. 

And really annoying that the symptoms were about the same as if the _viewer's_ computer had problems: CPU overload, or slow connection, etc.

(And, for the most part, the _audio_ always has been more reliable.  Even in the old low res days.  The video might flip to a lower resolution, or might have natively been lower res. But we at least got continuous audio.)

I wonder what the trouble was?  Hopefully it won't become a habit.
I had lots of issues last night with the Valpo game, but was watching Arkansas Akron game after and the stream was fine. It could be Valpo's network or something like that.

valporun

We had a few subs on the audio for this game last night, so that could be an issue too. Experience working with the system becomes a problem, if you haven't worked it enough to be comfortable with it. I mean Todd was working with a different guy, and no Tommy on the sidelines. Either due to classes or needing a night to be a college student again?

talksalot

Quote from: Pgmado on November 18, 2015, 06:55:02 PMKudos to Valparaiso public address announcer Mike Targonski. He's doing a great job tonight. Not sure what happened to talksalot, but I think he just got Wally Pipp'd.

Thanks to Mike for filling in!   I was in Tampa Florida celebrating my father's 85th Birthday...In 28 years, I've missed 8 games... Someone asked when the last time I missed two in a row...December 2000...when I missed three in row when I was in the hospital with prostate cancer.

wh

His replacement did a fine job, but talksalot remains the undisputed king of the mic! 

Brandon

Quote from: valporun on November 19, 2015, 05:55:22 PMWe had a few subs on the audio for this game last night, so that could be an issue too. Experience working with the system becomes a problem, if you haven't worked it enough to be comfortable with it. I mean Todd was working with a different guy, and no Tommy on the sidelines. Either due to classes or needing a night to be a college student again?

WVUR is the lone radio home for men's basketball this year (no more WEFM or WJOB), so part of the agreement is an increased role for students in the broadcast. A student did color for the two NAIA games, student sideline reporters for all home games (Tommy is the primary for that but a few others will rotate in) and increased students doing studio scoreboard updates.

As far as the ESPN3 video production - that's separate so I'm not really sure, but I don't believe there were any subs the other night. I believe it was just technical issues, no fault of the people producing the broadcast.

agibson

Quote from: Brandon on November 19, 2015, 11:02:36 PM
As far as the ESPN3 video production - that's separate so I'm not really sure, but I don't believe there were any subs the other night. I believe it was just technical issues, no fault of the people producing the broadcast.

I've not checked the archive of tonight's game, but here's what I got from Aaron

[tweet]667493459457146880[/tweet]