• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 5 : Trinity Christian 11/19/15

Started by govalpogo, November 19, 2015, 10:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

govalpogo

Just to say we had a game thread.  ;)

Ratcheting it up a bit from IUK, the Trolls are 4-2 thus far in the season.  They also played yesterday against NAIA nationally ranked  Olivet Nazarene and came up short 89-65. This was also the Trolls' first conference game.  Tonight's game will be an exhibition for Trinity.

Valpo will continue to build up the W column in all likelihood, looking to take a 5-0 record out west.   

Valpower

Christian Trolls?  They must be incredibly conflicted.

hailcrusaders

Is Hammink finished with his suspension, or does he have one more game to serve? If the latter is the case, this would be the game to serve it and get it over with, but I heard the scuttlebug is that everyone plays tonight to warm up for the Oregon schools?

I still don't understand the reasoning behind having a game count as exhibition for one team but not the other. Not that TC won't give it their best or that it'd affect the outcome, it just sort of cheapens the win for us.

Also, love the fact that our next two games are against the Trolls and the Ducks.
#CrusadersForever

agibson

I don't think this win can be cheapened by much ;)

Hammink has one more game out, not sure if it has to be consecutive - probably not required.

VULB#62

Hammink will serve #2 tonight.

[tweet]667141777271443458[/tweet]

BTW Brandon Vickrey's Twitter page is one of the best sources for Valpo athletics information that often doesn't get onto the VU athletic web site.

https://twitter.com/BrandonVickrey

Other Vickrey Tid Bits:

[tweet]667167474295664640[/tweet]

[tweet]667176670089080832[/tweet]

[tweet]667429594778214400[/tweet]

[tweet]667436275671146499[/tweet]

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 19, 2015, 02:34:31 PMBTW Brandon Vickrey's Twitter page is one of the best sources for Valpo athletics information that often doesn't get onto the VU athletic web site.

Here's another one:

[tweet]667436275671146499[/tweet]

A very reasonable follow, particularly in basketball season.

justducky

The numbers might not show it but that looked a little more like the freshman Lexus. When he is playing well that big smile of his is overpowering! I missed that last year.

valporun

It was good to see Lexus in a game situation the last two nights. He looks ready, but these two games were the better indicator of his readiness than right away against IPFW or Iona.

swiftmutiny

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 19, 2015, 02:34:31 PM
BTW Brandon Vickrey's Twitter page is one of the best sources for Valpo athletics information that often doesn't get onto the VU athletic web site.
I've taken classes with him before. Great guy, he's going to be a fantastic sports writer.

Didn't have time to watch the game tonight, but just looked at the stat sheet. What's up with the terrible three point shooting? Not that it matters much in a game like this, but I hope they get that out of there system before Oregon.

a3uge

With the two non-D1 games, Vashil has a defensive rating of 67.0, the best on the team, and Jubril has a 79.0, the worst on the team. To put that in perspective, Vashil finished with a 88.5 dRtg last year, which was one of the lowest ratings in HL history. Alec Peters has an offensive rating of 138.8 (he lead the Horizon with a 128.4 rating last year).

This is all sustainable, right?

VULB#62

Quote from: a3uge on November 20, 2015, 08:08:59 AM
With the two non-D1 games, Vashil has a defensive rating of 67.0, the best on the team, and Jubril has a 79.0, the worst on the team. To put that in perspective, Vashil finished with a 88.5 dRtg last year, which was one of the lowest ratings in HL history. Alec Peters has an offensive rating of 138.8 (he lead the Horizon with a 128.4 rating last year).

So...... If I am interpreting what you are saying, despite being the worst on the team, Jubril's dRtg is still 9.5 better than Vashil's mark last year, right?  At first I read it as Jubril's playing bad, but he' doing OK -- just has the highest dRtg among his teammates.

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 20, 2015, 08:17:38 AM

So...... If I am interpreting what you are saying, despite being the worst on the team, Jubril's dRtg is still 9.5 better than Vashil's mark last year, right?  At first I read it as Jubril's playing bad, but he' doing OK -- just has the highest dRtg among his teammates.

Correct, the lower the defensive rating, the better. The higher offensive rating, the better. I think everyone, including Jubril, is playing well on defense.

I think the only negatives on the year have been Darien's poor shooting and offensive play, and Peter's dropoff in 3pt shooting. Those things can be turned around pretty quickly.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on November 20, 2015, 08:33:53 AMI think the only negatives on the year have been Darien's poor shooting and offensive play, and Peter's dropoff in 3pt shooting. Those things can be turned around pretty quickly.
As for Darien's 3 point shooting those of us who took the over 38% option in the poll are starting to feel pretty stupid.   :-[

agibson

Interesting that Vashil's not been any kind of block machine in these non-D1 games. It's probably hard to make much of these stats, but you figure if he was ever going to manage a 10 block night, or something similar, it would be against an opponent like these.  Maybe no reason to do it.

valporun

Difficult for Vashil to block shots when the opponent is rushing and missing long jumpers.

FWalum

Quote from: justducky on November 20, 2015, 08:45:08 AM
Quote from: a3uge on November 20, 2015, 08:33:53 AMI think the only negatives on the year have been Darien's poor shooting and offensive play, and Peter's dropoff in 3pt shooting. Those things can be turned around pretty quickly.
As for Darien's 3 point shooting those of us who took the over 38% option in the poll are starting to feel pretty stupid.   :-[
Darien does not have the shooting form of someone like Alec, which I would call "textbook".  It has always been a little awkward as you can see especially when he is shooting free throws.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on November 20, 2015, 09:38:11 AM
Interesting that Vashil's not been any kind of block machine in these non-D1 games. It's probably hard to make much of these stats, but you figure if he was ever going to manage a 10 block night, or something similar, it would be against an opponent like these.  Maybe no reason to do it.

Vashil didn't even play the first game, so its hard to post huge block numbers when you don't enter the game [emoji14]

And as far as the game last night, I don't think Trinity attempted too many shots in the paint when Vashil was on the floor.

covufan

What defensive/offensive ratings are these?

agibson

Quote from: valporun on November 20, 2015, 10:38:27 AMDifficult for Vashil to block shots when the opponent is rushing and missing long jumpers.

Quote from: a3uge on November 20, 2015, 11:18:22 AMAnd as far as the game last night, I don't think Trinity attempted too many shots in the paint when Vashil was on the floor.

Fair enough! If you're guarding the rim, you can't block them unless they come at you.  (Darn goaltending rule!)

bbtds

Quote from: justducky on November 19, 2015, 08:49:45 PM
The numbers might not show it but that looked a little more like the freshman Lexus. When he is playing well that big smile of his is overpowering! I missed that last year.

Lexus was a lot quicker on the floor against Trinity Christian as he was during his freshman year. That would make sense for someone tearing his ACL and breaking his knee cap (I believe those were his injuries). It was really nice to see Lexus' progression after his setbacks.

BTW, it was mentioned in another thread that we had no one in the sophomore class on this team. But with Lexus red shirting last season he is NOW in the sophomore class.

a3uge

Quote from: covufan on November 20, 2015, 11:44:27 AM

Defensive rating is points allowed per 100 possessions when they're on the court. Offensive rating is points scored per 100 possessions. It's a good metric because it isn't biased towards playing a bunch of minutes and volume shooting (cough Oakland). And it passes the eye test. Peters is our best offensive player, and Vashil is our best defensive player. Even through only 4-5 games, the stats agree.

A team can expect 65-70 possessions per game. Last year, VMI lead the NCAA with 80 per game (the coach is now at the Citadel). Wisconsin and Northern Iowa averaged around 60 possessions per game.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on November 20, 2015, 12:19:24 PM

Quote from: covufan on November 20, 2015, 11:44:27 AM

Defensive rating is points allowed per 100 possessions when they're on the court. Offensive rating is points scored per 100 possessions. It's a good metric because it isn't biased towards playing a bunch of minutes and volume shooting (cough Oakland). And it passes the eye test. Peters is our best offensive player, and Vashil is our best defensive player. Even through only 4-5 games, the stats agree.

A team can expect 65-70 possessions per game. Last year, VMI lead the NCAA with 80 per game (the coach is now at the Citadel). Wisconsin and Northern Iowa averaged around 60 possessions per game.

Good description.  I'm curious at to the specific detail of which site you're grabbing your ratings from.  I've not paid Pomeroy, so I don't have his player stats, but the numbers you're quoting for defense seem too low to match his team rating for Valpo.