• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 7: @ Oregon State 11/24

Started by justducky, November 24, 2015, 09:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUOR63

Quote from: rink on November 24, 2015, 10:05:20 PM
Quote from: VUOR63 on November 24, 2015, 09:56:07 PM
This OSU crowd is raucous...much louder than Eugene.  If they hold on here, this is tougher than any Horizon League road game.

Were you judging from just an audio feed?  In the second half, it looked like every other seat was empty and most fans were sitting on their hands.  Crowd seemed pretty invisible to me.

I was at both games and the crowd at Oregon was subdued while the crowd at OSU was much more rowdy.  Could be that the Beaver fans are hungry for a winner after a disappointing football season.

OSU can be a tournament team.  Their guards are good and when their young post players develop, they'll be tough to beat.  I think this win will look better for Valpo as the season progresses.

Beaver Showcase Champs!

usc4valpo

Great, great win for Valpo!!! I thought it was important we can beat, not just compete, a quality power 5 conference team, and the mission was accomplished. If they stay healthy, this is going to be a special year.

agibson

Quote from: usc4valpo on November 25, 2015, 07:11:43 AM
If they stay healthy, this is going to be a special year.

Delicious that one can say this just after a 7'1" center has season-ending ankle surgery and with another quality player (were we saying some of the same things about Skara last week we're saying about Hammink now?) still sidelined with an ankle.

Did we not see Joseph at all?

Were his minutes given to... E Vic?

A deep team, no question!

truth219

Adekoya  is a brute

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

crusadermoe

Wow.   That was fun to watch.    It felt like I was in the Twilight Zone.

The Valpo national hype is growing fast.  Steve Lavin (ex UCLA coach) was the color man and continuously said things like "this would be a great chance for the Beavers to notch a quality home win."  Lavin was clearly expecting from the very start that Valpo would win and a win by the "young OSU team" would be big step.   He kept talking about things VU was doing as the veteran "championship" Valpo team.  It was almost funny.   

Hammink was a superstar in this game and they were in awe of him.  After his intimidating drive and "posterizing" dunk over an OSU player, Lavin developed a man crush and praised every aspect of Hammink's mechanics when he made foul shots.

I do admit that Hammink was amazing, not just in the two dunks, but later in the 2nd half when he seemed to weave around defenders at will on two more drives.   He also had a dunk where he drove the baseline and dunked from the other side.   He was very smooth and the driving moves looked effortless.   Why did he leave LSU?   Somehow, I had seen his photo on the roster and pictured a beefy front court player...maybe a Bobby Campo type.   But dare I say it, the NBA player he brought to mind for me when he attacked the rim was Kobe.  I doubt he can step back and shoot like Kobe, but the graceful quickness is there.

agibson

I assume everyone reads Paul's blog posts?  Quality stuff.

[tweet]669568582880264192[/tweet]

You suppose he's got a book in him, like David Woods of the Indy Star?

vu72

Quote from: agibson on November 25, 2015, 09:08:02 AM
Quote from: usc4valpo on November 25, 2015, 07:11:43 AM
If they stay healthy, this is going to be a special year.

Delicious that one can say this just after a 7'1" center has season-ending ankle surgery and with another quality player (were we saying some of the same things about Skara last week we're saying about Hammink now?) still sidelined with an ankle.

Did we not see Joseph at all?

Were his minutes given to... E Vic?

A deep team, no question!

No question Bryce tightened up the lineup, using only 8 this game.  Max didn't see the floor.  His minutes? Not to E but rather to Shane who played 33 I think.  Darien also lost minutes, getting 13, also losing to Shane.  Shane showed amazing athleticism as he did one hand dunks with both hands!  I just loved watching Shane and E slash to the basket!  Great stuff!!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on November 25, 2015, 01:43:10 PMMax didn't see the floor.  His minutes? Not to E but rather to Shane who played 33 I think.  Darien also lost minutes, getting 13, also losing to Shane.  Shane showed amazing athleticism as he did one hand dunks with both hands!  I just loved watching Shane and E slash to the basket!

No question I'm with you you in loving on Shane, and on Shane and E Vic at the rack!

But, in terms of minutes at point guard, I guess it was probably E Vic and not Shane?

Seems like we've rarely seen Keith and Max in the game at the same time, with Max taking point against Oregon and Rhode Island when Keith was on the bench.

I remember Nickerson bringing the ball up against the press on at least one possession, and I wonder if he spent a decent chunk of his 18 minutes, or say 5-8 of them anyway, playing the 1.

But, yeah, I suppose Hammink's and Nickerson's minutes both came partially at the expense of D Walker.  (Or we could talk about a whole different comparison if we want to bring Skara back into it - it feels like a long time since we've seen him! I guess it's only been 10 days.)

talksalot

Did Bryce have a post-game interview session?   Can't find a link to it...

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on November 25, 2015, 03:03:48 PM
Did Bryce have a post-game interview session?   Can't find a link to it...

Sounds like Paul phoned him up.

Presumably he had one for the local media after the game.  Probably it's less common to publish the visiting team's presser?

OSU did put up a highlight video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZNQ93c7Fkg

But, if the broadcast swung a bit in Valpo's favor, this highlight reel is 100% OSU.

valpocleveland

Will be interesting to see how Bryce divides up the minutes when Skara comes back. In close games Peters is not leaving the court, so no minutes there. Vashil and Jubril together have been adding up to around 40 minutes in recent games. Bryce has shown that he is not against playing the hot hand or resting the cold hand as Darien's minutes have been down especially against OSU. I think Skara's minutes will come from EVN/Darien at first until Bryce finds what works best. Will change night to night based on who has the hot hand.   

bbtds

Quote from: VULB#62 on November 24, 2015, 08:45:42 PM
Hammock is a monster. Leads Valpo with 8 at 3 minutes.

Hammocks are big but are they really monsters?

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on November 24, 2015, 11:22:05 PMI definitely didn't like the five second violation.

Milking the clock seems like a Bryce Drew patent.  At least this time we had a big enough lead that it could work. It certainly always makes me nervous.

But, it does make you wonder, what's the danger in running the offense?  Does Bryce know something we don't?  (OK, he knows a lot of things we don't. But, are we missing something about running the clock late in games?)

I think it just shows you must execute well by not turning the ball over and making your FT's.

StlVUFan

I feel like on balance, the slowing it down offense worked.  We had a few empty possessions, but those empty possessions drained minutes off the clock (albeit thanks to multiple offensive rebounds, but still).