• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game 8 @ BallState 11/28

Started by VULB#62, November 24, 2015, 10:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VULB#62

Thought I'd set up the thread  ;D

historyman

And here I thought this was setting up the thread...........

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

talksalot

BSU this year:

Lost at Bradley (1-4)  54-53
Beat Eastern Illinois (0-3) at home 75-56
Lost at Eastern Kentucky (4-1) 89-81
Beat Longwood (0-3) Neutral Court at EKY Tournament 78-67
Beat South Carolina State (1-3) Neutral Court at EKY Tournament 72-60

and they get to play IU Kokomo Tomorrow night.

Here's a link to their Season Stat sheet...
http://www.ballstatesports.com/fls/14200/Stats/mbasketball/2015-16/2015-16-Stats.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=14200

and here are their game notes for their "game" with IUK
http://www.ballstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=62158&SPID=6786&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210528849&DB_OEM_ID=14200

Looks like they can go 8-9 deep... and they have some height.

agibson

I really was thinking about dragging the (extended?) family down to his one. But, I'm afraid the convenience of ESPN3 will win out over the pleasures of Muncie.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

VUfan

VU 81 BSU 68 Must game to get up for, it sets the tone for the rest of the OOC season. 25% of the season will be done with this game.

Happy Thanksgiving!!

wh

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on November 24, 2015, 10:41:59 PM
I really was thinking about dragging the (extended?) family down to his one. But, I'm afraid the convenience of ESPN3 will win out over the pleasures of Muncie.
The performance at OSU is dragging me to Muncie tomorrow.  Looks like I'll have to fight the rain all the way there and hope there's no flooding getting in my way.

wh

Nice to find a game day story that you don't have to pay to read:

BALL STATE
Ball State set for tough Valparaiso game

Dakota Crawford, dmcrawford@muncie.gannett.com
7 hours ago
Facebook
Twitter
Google Plus
more

Jordan Kartholl/The Star Press
Ball State defeated IU Kokomo at Worthen Arena Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2015.
MUNCIE — With as much momentum as it could hope for, Ball State will host its toughest opponent of the year.

Coming off a 90-54 win over IU Kokomo, Ball State (4-2) hosts Valparaiso (6-1) at 2 p.m. Saturday. The Cardinals are riding a three-game winning streak — the longest since a four-game win streak last season, which was followed by an 18-game losing streak.
But things are different this year. The Cardinals have more depth, more scorers and an upgraded frontcourt. They have more confidence.
"Confidence plays a big part in it," sophomore guard Francis Kiapway said. "Guys are more serious about winning. Guys want to win more. The whole culture changed and shifted."
The Crusaders will test that confidence like it hasn't been, and probably won't be again, all season. Head coach James Whitford has seen a little extra film on Valparaiso because they played IU Kokomo and of course, he's had Saturday's game to prepare for.
While he's hesitant to call this a "measuring stick" game, he does see it as a big opportunity for players.
"For us to have a team of this caliber play at home in front of our home fans," Whitford said, "I think it's something our guys will be really excited about."
They are. Kiapway said before the IU Kokomo game that he'd already been thinking about Valparaiso for days. The Crusaders edged the Cardinals by three points last season, so Kiapway is excited for this second game.
Valparaiso is beating its opponents by 18.1 points per game, and is a legit NCAA Tournament team. The Crusaders hold a plus-eight rebounding advantage — an area of concern for Ball State after it struggled to outrebound a much smaller IU Kokomo team.
Of course, players had their way on offense and completely controlled the tempo. So it wasn't a huge concern, but that will change against Valparaiso.
"Based on (the IU Kokomo) game, the one thing we need to get better at is defensive rebounding," Whitford said. "Valparaiso has great size."
The Crusaders are shooting just 30 percent from deep, compared to Ball State's 36 percent. Ball State also holds a 92-89 advantage in team assists.

Valparaiso (6-1) at Ball State (4-2)
When: 2 p.m. Saturday
Where: Worthen Arena
TV: ESPN3
Radio: WLBC

a3uge

Valpofan00

Saw a pic of he team warming up looked like Tevonn is sitting this one out?

drewsaders11

Yep, confirmed via a team tweet that Tevonn is out due to an injury...

govalpogo

Todd saying that Tevonn is out with the knee injury that he has been playing through and is choosing to rest him today.   Also he is hoping to see Skara today. 

hailcrusaders

Quote from: govalpogo on November 28, 2015, 12:51:50 PMTodd saying that Tevonn is out with the knee injury that he has been playing through and is choosing to rest him today.   Also he is hoping to see Skara today.

Let's hope it's nothing more than that. Injuries are driving me bonkers.
#CrusadersForever

a3uge

Do production teams just go to behind the basket cameras to justify having a second cameraman?

govalpogo

Drew better light a fire under these guys.  Valpo playing very lazy basketball while BSU wants to beat a "top 25" team.

RS

Yes he better. This game has been bothering me for several days.

crusadermoe

Franco House?          Trap game.   

Go after 'em man to man and full court.   We are thinking too much and without Tevonn the tempo is screwed up.

a3uge

One of the most infuriating games I've ever watched with the poor play and horrendous camera work.

VUOR63

Down 6 at the half after playing like that?  I will take it...

cagebanks

just to give you some insight on Ball State from someone who follows the MAC closely...they were picked dead last in the conference this year. They lost to Bradley who is one of the worst teams in the nation. There are many high school teams that could beat Ball State..badly.

This would be the worst loss in many years, shocking to get pushed around like this.

valpo04 edit: Inappropriate comment removed.

govalpogo

I haven't had to yell at my computer like this all year.  Will take being down only 6 after this 1st half performance.  BSU is starting to average out...they were hitting a lot of pretty looking jumpers early.  Let's get the W.

drewsaders11

I'll take being down 6 at half after being down 12 with 4:50 to go.  The rest of the team needs to show up besides Alec.  Missing the front end of all 3 one and ones is unacceptable.

drewsaders11

Not enjoying the announcers, but I had to unmute to avoid missing something when the game goes into super-zoom mode.  Wow, awful.

a3uge