• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Men's Basketball Scholarship Grid - Updated 5/13/13

Started by MattCarter, March 27, 2012, 11:16:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattCarter

Latest edit adds Alex Rossi (transfer from Cal) plus updated scholarship totals

http://www.valpofanzone.com/?p=323

Here is the Google Documents version
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlQ2tPhus3WCdElfelJobS1BOXVfU09YU19UbENmdWc&pli=1#gid=0
The two greatest things on earth?  Short hair cuts and Valpo Victories!

LaPorteAveApostle

Man, this is so great--thanks for doing this.  It helps a lot to see it all laid out like that.

Plus it is interesting to see so many scholarships coming available soon...I wonder how that will play out--either a huge class or a smaller one with trump cards being held on to...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

cmack

Can an admin sticky the grid at the top just below the schedule for easy access?

historyman

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 27, 2012, 04:18:25 PM
Man, this is so great--thanks for doing this.  It helps a lot to see it all laid out like that.

Plus it is interesting to see so many scholarships coming available soon...I wonder how that will play out--either a huge class or a smaller one with trump cards being held on to...

FYI, it was borrowed from the Butler message board which probably borrowed it from somewhere else.

LaPorteAveApostle

wait...you mean the butler board is keeping up with our own players better than we?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

agibson

Probably he means the idea, or the format.

It feels like we should have * on Dority and/or Coleman too, until somebody definitively figures out their eligibility.

And, perhaps, that there should be a legend explaining what the *'s mean!

MattCarter

Quote from: agibson on March 28, 2012, 11:27:19 AMProbably he means the idea, or the format. It feels like we should have * on Dority and/or Coleman too, until somebody definitively figures out their eligibility. And, perhaps, that there should be a legend explaining what the *'s mean!

Regardless of NCAA status for Coleman and Dority, they are taking up a scholarship so that is why there is no *.  I did it that way with Bobby and Vashil

I like the idea of the legend and I'll work on that.  I prob need to use a couple different ones as they mean different things.

And yes, we took the idea from the Butler board.  Ours is a much more simplified one that works for this particular board's set up and allows admins as well as myself to edit.

I also think it would be great to sticky post the entry with the schedule...that is kinda why I made the thread to bump it back up and remind people its there.

valporun

I think a '*' would be good to denote 'eligibility pending' for at least the first year of the scholarship offer, or if the recruit might be a transfer that we can't play until 2nd semester.

MattCarter

Quote from: valporun on March 28, 2012, 02:00:14 PMI think a '*' would be good to denote 'eligibility pending' for at least the first year of the scholarship offer, or if the recruit might be a transfer that we can't play until 2nd semester.
Its not a eligibility chart...its a scholarship one, but we can do it if that is what everyone wants

historyman

Quote from: agibson on March 28, 2012, 11:27:19 AM
Probably he means the idea, or the format.

It feels like we should have * on Dority and/or Coleman too, until somebody definitively figures out their eligibility.

And, perhaps, that there should be a legend explaining what the *'s mean!

Roger Maris just turned over in his grave.

agibson

Quote from: MattCarter on March 28, 2012, 03:59:24 PMIts not a eligibility chart...its a scholarship one, but we can do it if that is what everyone wants

Right - I was conflating the two.  A scholarship chart makes sense.  Perhaps notes about eligibility could be added?  If it wouldn't clutter things too much.

MattCarter

Quote from: agibson on March 29, 2012, 11:54:37 AM
Quote from: MattCarter on March 28, 2012, 03:59:24 PMIts not a eligibility chart...its a scholarship one, but we can do it if that is what everyone wants
Right - I was conflating the two.  A scholarship chart makes sense.  Perhaps notes about eligibility could be added?  If it wouldn't clutter things too much.
Im gonna figure out a way to do it that will look good.  The legend of * like symbols will help, I think.  The players are all hyperlinked to their VU roster page (or if there isnt one to an article with as much info as possible) to give more deep info.  Ideally, we'd like more on it but had to streamline it to make it work.

LaPorteAveApostle

I hope I'm not stepping on Matt's toes, but after my last effort at helping the blog was indifferently received, I tried to think of a way to be more helpful.

This is my first attempt at an Eligibility chart...this is assuming both Dority and Coleman are more-or-less-immediately eligible.

Please do give feedback.  I'd have attached the file itself if it would let me.  Thanks.

MattCarter

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 17, 2012, 03:25:19 PMI hope I'm not stepping on Matt's toes, but after my last effort at helping the blog was indifferently received, I tried to think of a way to be more helpful. This is my first attempt at an Eligibility chart...this is assuming both Dority and Coleman are more-or-less-immediately eligible. Please do give feedback.  I'd have attached the file itself if it would let me.  Thanks.

I originally did have an image grid that mimicked more closely the Butler grid that everyone liked....the page admins asked if I could find a way to make it on the blog section so anyone could edit it...that is what it is what it is.....either way Im fine with it

Go Valpo!

LaPorteAveApostle

I did it in excel...how could we make it "editable"? 

Not to mention immune to defacing by bulldogs with IBS...

valpo04

Quote from: MattCarter on April 18, 2012, 11:25:45 AM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 17, 2012, 03:25:19 PMI hope I'm not stepping on Matt's toes, but after my last effort at helping the blog was indifferently received, I tried to think of a way to be more helpful. This is my first attempt at an Eligibility chart...this is assuming both Dority and Coleman are more-or-less-immediately eligible. Please do give feedback.  I'd have attached the file itself if it would let me.  Thanks.

I originally did have an image grid that mimicked more closely the Butler grid that everyone liked....the page admins asked if I could find a way to make it on the blog section so anyone could edit it...that is what it is what it is.....either way Im fine with it

Go Valpo!

It doesn't have to be editable by everyone, I was just giving the blog as an option.  If you want to edit it in Excel and upload a screen capture of it, or whatever, that certainly seems reasonable.  We would also be able to link directly to the image here.

LaPorteAveApostle

tweaked it a little...what would you like me to do with it?  here vs main page, xls vs jpeg etc?

swiftmutiny

Just noticed that Buggs is listed as 5' 1", I think that may have been a typo.  :lol:

vuweathernerd

Quote from: swiftmutiny on April 19, 2012, 04:29:34 PM
Just noticed that Buggs is listed as 5' 1", I think that may have been a typo.  :lol:

nah, that sounds about right. at least that's probably how he feels standing to somebody like vashil.

valpo04

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 19, 2012, 04:18:20 PM
tweaked it a little...what would you like me to do with it?  here vs main page, xls vs jpeg etc?

I think it would be easiest to upload it to the blog, host it there then link to it here.  Why don't you send it to MattCarter and let him put it in the original blog post, then we can update the first post in this thread to put it there.

LaPorteAveApostle

I think I will sit on it a little while longer, if 'tis OK with you, O4 and Matt, since there's that one open slot sitting there that I have a feeling Bryce will fill.  After all, he'll still have four other slots open the year after even with the two commits already coming in.

If it seems he will keep it in his hip pocket for next year, then I'll send it to Matt.

What about a tentative "depth chart", a la football, for "1"s through "5"s crossed against the eligibility chart?  Too esoteric or helpful?

(ie roughly
E Buggs
L Dority
Will Bogan
etc.

MattCarter

LaPorteAveApostle

MattCarter

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on April 24, 2012, 02:43:09 PM
Quote from: MattCarter on April 24, 2012, 02:38:01 PMThe mods wanted it within the Word Press blog section
what are you referring to?
As in they wanted something on the main blog portion of the site that was able to be edited by whoever...again, either way I don't care but it sure is easy to do the way we have it now :)

LaPorteAveApostle

I uploaded a jpeg of the eligibility chart now that the dance card is full for next year...thoughts about making it editable?

and welcome Alex Rossi!