• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

All-time Valpo Starting Five?

Started by dcvalpo, May 19, 2011, 10:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: chef on January 21, 2013, 06:00:00 PMI don't think this is going out on a limb, but Broekhoff is the 2nd best player to put on a Valpo uniform in the Drew era.

You really thought Tony Falu was that good, huh?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

chef

Alright for sake of argument I'll give you my top 7 in order. I chose 7, because I think these 7 are clearly a notch above the rest.
1. Drew
2. Broekhoff
3. Barton
4. Oppland
5. Grafs
6. Schmidt
7. Viskovic

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: chef on January 21, 2013, 06:19:20 PM
Alright for sake of argument I'll give you my top 7 in order. I chose 7, because I think these 7 are clearly a notch above the rest.
1. Drew
2. Broekhoff
3. Barton
4. Oppland
5. Grafs
6. Schmidt
7. Viskovic

The original poster asked for the top 5.  Stop trolling.

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: vusupporter on January 21, 2013, 03:36:07 PM
Found this thread from a couple years back interesting - guessing there's another player who's a much bigger part of the conversation now...

Thanks for resurrecting this!  I would love to go back and see some of the other gems from dcvalpo...this is a great conversation and I wouldn't be surprised if there is more gold from this guy.

SadersofthelostArc

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 21, 2013, 03:55:37 PM
what happened to this "dcvalpo"?

I do wonder the same thing.  He seems like a guy that you would get along with REALLY well, Apostle.  Almost a little TOO well.  Seems like you came on the scene when he disappeared.....things that make ya go hmmmmmmmmm.

LaPorteAveApostle

all right all right.

anyway, this is classic offseason stuff.  let's save it for the six months of the year we DON'T have actual happening basketball to speak of.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

SadersofthelostArc

Apostle, hit us with a new interesting thread!  I'm up for some conversation, but the game threads tend to be a drag sometimes.  You always post great stuff and I think it would do the board some good to loosen up and have a little fun. 

DMvalpo18

Yeah, like Apostle is the one who needs to loosen up! Just read his posts.

Chairback

This is an interesting topic, one that made me rejoin the forum.

I have missed probably 6 games since 1984 (missed Brett Blizzard with UNCW and was pissed) and I think Chef is dead on.  The only change I would make is Grafs ahead of Oppland.

No doubt Ryan is #2 best ever in a Valpo uni.  Even off the court this kid ranks high as one of the best representations of Valpo athletics.  Talking to him and hearing his interviews on ESPN he's a super kid.  He really represents the university well.

Grafs and Lubos should have won a tourney game.  I rank them as the most underachieving team of all time with the Oppland, Howard, Ali, Kone team at second.

talksalot

I'll chime in with a list of "Game Changers" ... in their day.

Bryce
Tracy Gipson  (I remember saying that when he left in 10-years everyone will remember him...it's been about 20 and I still do.
Lindner
Ensminger
Vern Curtis (led the team in scoring and rebounding

SadersofthelostArc

dcvalpo caused Chairback to rejoin the forum...that is really neat.

vu72

Quote from: chef on January 21, 2013, 06:00:00 PM
I don't think this is going out on a limb, but Broekhoff is the 2nd best player to put on a Valpo uniform in the Drew era.

chef and I have had these debates before, but this time, I'll agree!  The other players are obviously Dan Oppland and Lubos Barton.  Dan is third all time in scoring and rebounding and Lubos is 1st all time in steals, four in scoring and fourth in rebounding.  Lubos puts up one heck of a resume.
Once the dust settles Ryan may have the single season record for free throw % as well as 3 pt %. He will in all likelihood be at or near the top of rebounding (passing both Dan and Lubos).

Where he ends up in points is beyond me and I'll look to apostle for judgement here.

In spite of the accomplishments of Dan and Lubos, I think it is fair to say Ryan is number two.  the other factor to consider is their impact on the team with which they played. Remember that Lubos, in particular, played directly in the shadow of Bryce. He was a freshman the year after Bryce graduated. So he comes in and drops something like 25 on South Carolina in his freshman debut.  That has to be the greatest entry game at Valpo in history!

Nonetheless, when judging the full impact of the body of work, I'll go with Ryan.  Now, history will be the final judge and that may ride on the season result. Lubos took the team to the NCAAs, can Ryan get it done??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: vu72 on January 21, 2013, 07:53:03 PMThat has to be the greatest entry game at Valpo in history!

For a freshman, most likely; but for a Valpo player, don't forget the debut of Michigan State's Best Player.

vusupporter

Bump...seems someone else might be in the conversation now...

M

Besides the obvious...what about Vashil? He's certainly in the team photograph.

ValpoRook

1st Team:
Bryce Drew
Bruce Lindner
Lubos Barton
Alec Peters
Ratis Grafs

2nd Team:
Tracy Gipson
David Redmon
Ryan Broekhoff
Dan Oppland
Chris Ensminger

usc4valpo

Drew
Broekoff
Barton
Peters
Grafs

Bench:

Oppland
Lindner
Mo Smith
Gipson
Redmon
Fernandez
Viskovic
Simmons

usc4valpo

Harre started in 1988, and I thought he did well, Shorty Schnabel was very much an academic enabler who did not care about athletics.

I really like where Heckler's vision however - just need to upgrade or replace the ARC.

78crusader

No all time VU team would be complete without Bob Dille and Dick Jones.

Paul

usc4valpo

OK, how about the worst or infamous players in VU history?

Rob Harden
Greg Mostello

valpotx

JP Tenuta would go on the infamous list
"Don't mess with Texas"

FWalum

I would think that Antonio Falu would go on that infamous list.  He seems to have turned things around since then.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

usc4valpo

valpospartan

Bryce drew
Scott Anselm
Rob Cavanaugh
Casey Schmidt
Mike Jones

Dave Redmond
Todd Smith

vu72

Quote from: valpospartan on June 02, 2016, 05:16:07 PM
Bryce drew
Scott Anselm
Rob Cavanaugh
Casey Schmidt
Mike Jones

Dave Redmond
Todd Smith

Funny you should list Todd as I thought his dad was a much better player and one of the most exciting small points you'll ever have watched play.  I'm with talksalot in also mentioning Vern Curtis.  That team,including Tom Smith and Dick Jones, averaged over 90 points BEFORE the 3 point line came into play.  Bruce Lindner has also have to be in the top 10.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015