• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Smits Commits to Valpo!

Started by valpopal, October 06, 2014, 10:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ValpoDad89

I stand corrected but he looks damn good for a guy in his '50's!!! And let me say this, I was 18-19 years old and I used to play pick up basketball at Vittum Park in Chicago. Now I am 6'2" and was young but there was this guy Wayne Molis who was in his late '50's and would out position out rebound me for every ball and I got frustrated. Came to find out Wayne played a few years in the NBA for the Knicks and a couple other teams. A guy we played with told me, you can never teach experience.

VULB#62

Derrik has been honored as a member of the MVC Most Improved team. He went from 7.5 ppg and 3.6 rpg last season to 12.5 ppg and 5.7 rpg in 2018-19.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2018-19/18921/smits-named-to-mvc-most-improved-team/

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on October 06, 2014, 08:54:30 PM
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/30308691-556/mens-basketball-big-man-derrik-smits-commits-to-valparaiso.html#.VDNFPEvTUkE

MONEY QUOTE
Quote"His name got him a lot of attention early on, but his play on the court put it over the top," Busick said. "People are intrigued by a skilled big man, and you don't see many 7-footers doing the things he does. He's a future pro. It would not surprise me if Derrik was drafted into the NBA at some point in the future."

STOP THAT YOU ARE SALIVATING ALL OVER YOUR COMPUTER KEYBOARD

I'll pick on Zionsville coach Shaun Busick's comment that he thought Derrik Smits would be drafted into the NBA. Just a reminder that Busick coached Seth Cloclasure and also coached at Crown Point. Does anyone now think that Derrik will get drafted into the NBA?

NativeCheesehead

"Does anyone now think Derrik will get drafted...."

valpopal

Smits will announce his decision on Sunday. I'm thinking ASU is the front-runner.

VU2014

I think whichever fan-base lands him will be somewhat disappointed with the end results once they see him for an entire season. He's a nice player on the offensive end but passable at best on defense. When Smits put up his best numbers, he tends to bog down the rest of the offense. There is just a lot left to be desired from his game. It will be interesting to see if the next coaching staff he plays for can get Smits to change or blend his game to fit the team's needs/offense.

I'm not saying this put down Smits by any means. I just think he's has his plus and minus to how he impacts games.

wh

Quote from: valpopal on April 26, 2019, 10:56:57 AM
Smits will announce his decision on Sunday. I'm thinking ASU is the front-runner.

How exciting

justducky

Quote from: VU2014 on April 26, 2019, 11:09:03 AMI think whichever fan-base lands him will be somewhat disappointed with the end results once they see him for an entire season. He's a nice player on the offensive end but passable at best on defense. When Smits put up his best numbers, he tends to bog down the rest of the offense. There is just a lot left to be desired from his game. It will be interesting to see if the next coaching staff he plays for can get Smits to change or blend his game to fit the team's needs/offense.

If he lands on a good 3 point shooting team both he and those shooters could benefit. His assists could skyrocket (outlet passes) and his turn overs plummet (single coverage). If that best case develops then his playing time would depend on his defense. Maybe it improves as well? Any real chance at major pro minutes will depend on his  2019-20 defensive improvement. I wouldn't totally write off his prospects because I sense he needed a hotter fire on his backside than Lottich could provide.

valpopal

Quote from: justducky on April 26, 2019, 12:04:31 PM
... I sense he needed a hotter fire on his backside than Lottich could provide.

Rik Smits says he will attend all of Derrik's senior home games, which he could not do last year due to the move to Arizona. That should provide more incentive and guidance.

bbtds

Quote from: valpopal on April 26, 2019, 12:27:23 PM
Quote from: justducky on April 26, 2019, 12:04:31 PM
... I sense he needed a hotter fire on his backside than Lottich could provide.

Rik Smits says he will attend all of Derrik's senior home games, which he could not do last year due to the move to Arizona. That should provide more incentive and guidance.

Maybe Rik should have stayed in Indiana for one more year if watching Derrik play is that important to him.

VU2014

Smits is transferring to Butler...  wish him personally well but I won't be rooting for that team's success.

https://twitter.com/fstearns2/status/1122598824831328257

NativeCheesehead

valpolaw

LOL

Good luck pal is all I have to say

vu72

Don't let the door hit you in the a$$.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Not a bad choice. He won't have to elevate his game at all to fit right in.

covufan

I wish this Valpo grad well, but if we happen to meet in a tournament next year, Buck Futler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpo64

I remember our friend / writer Tom Davis trashing Smits telling why Butler was not much interested in recruiting him...and now?

bigmosmithfan1

First Butler win over VU since 2011?

vu72

So they got our back-up center!  Good for them!  ;)  Actually, Derrik will be THE guy in the middle for them with Fowler graduating and Brunk going to Indiana.  Doubt he would have been a starter at the Power 5 schools he thought were interested.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

valpopal

Derrik found a spot where he will be the starting center in a major conference. He will have circumstances to show how well he can play against some of the more prominent teams, including Villanova, Marquette, Xavier, etc. He will get greater national exposure and have the chance to appear in network broadcast games at major market locations, including Madison Square Garden. He also will be under pressure to perform as the sole big man on a team that has lost Fowler and Brunk. However, Butler tied for last in the conference; therefore, any improvement will be seen as a positive and could gain him credit. This is a great opportunity for him if he can make the most of it. He appears to have made the right decision, and I wish him well, especially since Butler refuses to schedule Valpo and he won't be an opponent. 

elephtheria47

Butler has 6'7 Nze who played with Jordan in Milwaukee and 6'9 Golden who can both play the center spot, although not ideally. Smits will get a shot to prove what he can do and can likely be the starting center, but if he doesnt produce they do have others who can play if need be. NCSU and ASU both lost centers, iirc,  in the past week so he would have had a chance of playing major minutes at any of the 3 he debated between. I still dont see him being better than average in the best scenario at a P5, but it will be interesting to see how he stacks up and how another coach utilizes him. The indystar article mentioned he chose Butler because of relationships and because how Butler runs their offense (more big involvement). He didnt fit in the offense here, maybe a change of scenery was needed for all parties.

bigmosmithfan1

QuoteHe didnt fit in the offense here

A) There's been no evidence of any sort of offensive system the past two years so that seems like a hasty generalization, and...

B) If a 7-1 dude who can score (regardless of any other flaws in his game) doesn't a fit a coach's "offensive system" in a midmajor conference, then that coach is, frankly, a moron. You adjust your damn system for that at this level.

wh

Quote from: bigmosmithfan1 on April 29, 2019, 06:14:26 PM
QuoteHe didnt fit in the offense here

A) There's been no evidence of any sort of offensive system the past two years so that seems like a hasty generalization, and...

B) If a 7-1 dude who can score (regardless of any other flaws in his game) doesn't a fit a coach's "offensive system" in a midmajor conference, then that coach is, frankly, a moron. You adjust your damn system for that at this level.

We did, and it was painful to watch.

valpo64