• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

NIT

Started by valpotx, March 08, 2016, 12:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chairback

If we hosted a NIT game, would we draw over 1,500 fans?  I'd have to say no.

justducky

Quote from: Chairback on March 12, 2016, 04:39:18 PMIf we hosted a NIT game, would we draw over 1,500 fans?  I'd have to say no.
A first round game vs a weak automatic qualifier might not do very well but a second round game against Ohio St, Florida St, Virginia Tech, or Alabama might bring in a couple fans.

agibson

Quote from: Valpo89 on March 12, 2016, 03:05:00 PM
Uh, a high school floor isn't the same size. That wouldn't happen.

An 84 foot court could be like moving to six fouls. You know, experimentation.

(Wouldn't six fouls have been nice in the semi-final!)

talksalot

NIT bracketology....

http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/

Showing the impact of the San Diego State loss last night... bumping us to 2-seed...

hate this bracket since we can't host the second game... if the seeds hold, we would be back in Columbus...as the HOST team against the Buckeyes...

High Point Panthers... (21-10 RPI 158), lost to Texas Tech by 4, lost to Georgia by 3, Lost to NC State by 3... lost to #261 Liberty twice... lost in conference semi's to NCAsheville by 11...

Other 2-seeds:  Florida, Syracuse and George Washington
Other 7-seeds:  Wagner (21-10, RPI 184), Belmont (19-11, RPI 95) and North Florida (19-11, RPI 161)

talksalot

This NIT Bracketologist has us as a 1-seed...

http://www.dratings.com/predictor/bracketology/

Other 1-seeds:  St. Bonnie, Temple and GW
8-seeds:  North Florida, Bucknell, Texas Southern and Wagner

so geographically, we would get Texas Southern

talksalot

and one more...

http://bracketproject.blogspot.com/

As a 1-seed against North Florida.
Game two being against the winner of Georgia and Creighton...

This one comes with some family fun time for me... Also in the NIT:
Michigan:  Daughter works there, son in law alum
Ohio State:  Daughter works there, son in law alum
Bucknell:  Sister Alum
Syracuse:  Nephew Alum

a3uge

So we would miss our opportunity to host a Big 10 team or Ben Simmons due to a grade school basketball tournament?

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on March 13, 2016, 10:16:29 AM
So we would miss our opportunity to host a Big 10 team or Ben Simmons due to a grade school basketball tournament?

Oren article has Valpo still looking at options. But, it would be sad.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/crusaders-appear-headed-for-nit/article_16df9f44-5c5a-5b96-8c48-9e4f3ee6022e.html

And quotes Bryce:

"We've told our guys to plan on playing on Tuesday," Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew said. "Either in Dayton (in NCAA tournament) or in Valpo for the NIT. There's a lot of teams that would love to be in the NIT. There's still a lot to play for."

oklahomamick

Quote from: talksalot on March 13, 2016, 08:58:17 AMand one more... http://bracketproject.blogspot.com/ As a 1-seed against North Florida. Game two being against the winner of Georgia and Creighton... This one comes with some family fun time for me... Also in the NIT: Michigan:  Daughter works there, son in law alum Ohio State:  Daughter works there, son in law alum Bucknell:  Sister Alum Syracuse:  Nephew Alum

And N.Florida has Matt Drisco who I ran into at the airport last year and he coached at Valpo with Scott Drew.  Just one more connection for you.
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

I cannot imagine that the Valparaiso University men's basketball team would be forced to forego an opportunity to host a game in the National Invitation Tournament because of a grade school tournament. We're talking about an opportunity to host - and win - 2 or 3 games in the NIT - the freaking NIT! - for the first time in program history, and we would throw that away because we can't figure out alternative arrangements to meet the needs of a grade tournament for 1 evening?  If someone thinks winning games in the NIT isn't important to the program, they should think again. The NIT isn't the CBI or one these other Johnny-come-lately tournaments. It has a rich tradition with some of the biggest names in college basketball having participated. Unlike these other consolation tournaments, the NIT is still followed by the national press. The finals are on national TV and played in one of the greatest basketball venues of all time in the number 1 media market in the United States. If we're not serious about this (and throwing away a home game opportunity would say we're not) then don't get in it at all. I hope we're better than that.

VULB#62

Well said WH. Rental of gyms in town for that 4 hour block should not be a problem  But better yet, just plain shutting down the tournament for that block and giving the Lutheran BB teams free tix to the game would be a simple solution.  Imagine how big and round those kids' eyes would be be seeing a real, meaningful college game as a part of their participation in their tournament.

bbtds

I'd like to know why Valpo scheduled the National Lutheran Basketball Tournament when there was a possibility of hosting a game in the NIT or one of the other post season tournaments.

Did the Valpo Athletic Dept feel so assured that the men's basketball team was destined for the NCAA tournament that the idea of hosting an NIT game was not a real possibility? That is certainly not using your noodle to look at the whole realm of possibilities.

NativeCheesehead

In Valpo's, defense, they run this tournament every year, and it's actually fun to check it out. However, this CANNOT be a reason we pass on what could be one of the bigger home games in a long time. If we were too shortsighted to have a rider in the contract to account for this then it is something the AD needs to answer for.  I spent all week getting myself revved up for the NIT, and i'm there. I am really and truly excited to go back to the ARC and see this very good team play another game. I will be really upset and disappointed if we have to pass on a March home game for this reason. You have fieldhouses that could handle a half day's worth of games at TJ, BF, and VHS. Not to mention The Courts right on 49. No excuse to not get this done.

bbtds

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on March 13, 2016, 12:15:30 PM
In Valpo's, defense, they run this tournament every year, and it's actually fun to check it out. However, this CANNOT be a reason we pass on what could be one of the bigger home games in a long time. If we were too shortsighted to have a rider in the contract to account for this then it is something the AD needs to answer for.  I spent all week getting myself revved up for the NIT, and i'm there. I am really and truly excited to go back to the ARC and see this very good team play another game. I will be really upset and disappointed if we have to pass on a March home game for this reason. You have fieldhouses that could handle a half day's worth of games at TJ, BF, and VHS. Not to mention The Courts right on 49. No excuse to not get this done.

I happen to know some of the Lutheran educators that have previously been involved in the National Lutheran Basketball Tournament and they have, over the years, become Valpo fans because of the time they have spent at Valpo when Rod Moore, who is a NLBT director, speaks about the Valpo team and the NLBT players see Valpo play on TV and see Rod, himself, on Valpo's bench during his time taking care of Valpo's training needs. I believe these educators involved with the NLBT would do whatever was needed to help Valpo host a home game in the NIT.

a3uge

I would imagine that Valpo is contractually obligated to host each game at this point. There really should have been a contingency plan already in place for this situation. The fact that the University didn't think this through after a couple decades of this tournament being run is kind of concerning. Or maybe they did and the contingency plan is to just play a road game.

Chairback

To be honest we'd be screwing the tons of grade school kids who look forward and work hard to get to this event every year.  Don't we have a plaque area at the ARC that lists the winners each year.  I believe so.  I also have to assume we get a facility fee that might be better than anything we get from the NIT.

The NIT is not what it was 15-20 years ago.  No one cares about it.  It's completely irrelevant.

Not going to the NCAA this year is a huge setback for our program.  Probably one of the biggest in the last 20 years.  I think it will effect our recruiting big time.

oklahomamick

Is there a contract with the grade school teams?  Are they paying to use the facilities?  Just curious about the terms.   ???
CRUSADERS!!!

classof2014

Quote from: Chairback on March 13, 2016, 01:02:27 PM
To be honest we'd be screwing the tons of grade school kids who look forward and work hard to get to this event every year.  Don't we have a plaque area at the ARC that lists the winners each year.  I believe so.  I also have to assume we get a facility fee that might be better than anything we get from the NIT.

Honestly who gives a crap about the grade kids. It's Valpo's home court. Even though the NIT wasn't what it was it's still a chance to host a game at home and potentially against a big name, power conference school. You can't tell me that if Valpo is playing at home against Ohio State people aren't going to show up. If Valpo does get to host a game, you reschedule the high school tournament on short notice. You're not screwing the kids out of this tournament. Instead of playing during time A; you play during time B the next day. The Valpo players should without a doubt get precedence over anything that doesn't have to do with Valpo basketball; especially something that has nothing to do with the school. You reschedule the high-schoolers. Plain and simple, if they don't like it too bad.

Chairback

Quote from: classof2014 on March 13, 2016, 01:22:59 PM. You can't tell me that if Valpo is playing at home against Ohio State people aren't going to show up.

We wouldn't come close to selling it out if they came.  Again, no one cares about the NIT.  Our season ended with our loss to GB.  It's a reality. 

justducky

Quote from: Chairback on March 13, 2016, 01:02:27 PMThe NIT is not what it was 15-20 years ago.  No one cares about it.  It's completely irrelevant.
Multiple wins against power conference teams could work some wonders. It took Butler 20 years to become BUTLER and you have to start from where you are standing.

NativeCheesehead

FYI  Just saw NIT selection show will be on ESPNU at 7:30.

valpolaw

I don't even pay attention to the NIT and don't really know anyone that does either. I agree our season ended with the loss to Green Bay if we don't somehow sneak into the tourny

a3uge

Quote from: Chairback on March 13, 2016, 01:29:02 PM
Quote from: classof2014 on March 13, 2016, 01:22:59 PM. You can't tell me that if Valpo is playing at home against Ohio State people aren't going to show up.

We wouldn't come close to selling it out if they came.  Again, no one cares about the NIT.  Our season ended with our loss to GB.  It's a reality.
Can't wait to read your post whining about not being able to beat a "BCS" team when they play on the road.

Also, if we did make the tournament, I'm sure not winning a game would be an enormous setback as well.

NativeCheesehead

I share a lot of disappointment, but here's how I feel about the NIT. 

It's going to be played. Someone's got to win. Why not us?

Go Valpo!

crusaderjoe

Quote from: valpolaw on March 13, 2016, 02:05:23 PM
I don't even pay attention to the NIT and don't really know anyone that does either. I agree our season ended with the loss to Green Bay if we don't somehow sneak into the tourny

You may not care about post season tournaments other than the NCAA, but the coaches and players do.  Hardly anyone gives a crap about those garbage December bowl games between 6-6 FBS football teams either but what they do actually provide is extra time for practice and player development prior to next year's spring ball when the season otherwise would have ended for those teams.  While basketball and football are apples and oranges the concept applies here in some respects. You're necessarily playing for next year, which is a benefit.  String wins along in the NIT to get to the semi-final and you've extended your season by two weeks in a tournament environment.  How could this not help?