• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Season not over yet but 2015/2016 season highlights and records

Started by oklahomamick, March 30, 2016, 09:50:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

This is just a few.  Please add.

* 30 wins - Only other HL program to do this was Butler in 2008 and 2010
* Set a HL Record for scoring margin +14.7
* Set a HL Record for rebounding average 43.6
* Set a HL Record for rebounding margin 13
* NCAA individual leader in blocks and blocks per game (Vashil)
* 16-2 making for 2nd best ever HL winning percentage (Butler 18-0)
* Highest RPI in Crusader history?
* More ESPN games than any other season
* Alec Peters named Honorable Mention All-American.
* Bryce Drew a Finalist for 2016 Hugh Durham award
CRUSADERS!!!

vu84v2

Vashil needs three blocks in the George Washington game to finish as the individual leader in blocked shots per game. He already has broken the Valpo record for number of senior night speeches and (unofficially) tied the NCAA record for senior night speeches. Fernandez also has to be near the top in games played.

Potential end of tournament season top 25 ranking? (making the big assumption that Valpo beats George Washington)

oklahomamick

Even with a NIT championship, I think we will only receive votes in the top 25
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo84

Another big item to add to the season, Alec Peters was named as Honorable Mention All-American.  That deserves a big congratulations!  Last 2 Valpo honorable mentions -- Ryan Broekhoff and Lubos Barton.  Bryce was 3d team. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

VULB#62

Here is the 2015-16 Highlight video.  Really good.  I did notice one thing:  no pictures of BD.  The only shot of any coaches was of Matt.  Focus is on the players, rightly so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq1bGRjuIyY

vu72

No  BD is not a surprise, only one shot of Skara making a basket and that view was partially blocked.  Very well done and spot on.  Those people have moved on.  Focus on the present and very bright future. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on May 27, 2016, 10:40:42 AM
No  BD is not a surprise, only one shot of Skara making a basket and that view was partially blocked.  Very well done and spot on.  Those people have moved on.  Focus on the present and very bright future.

As one who regularly deals with emphasizing the importance of accurate representations of history, especially in an academic environment, I am not pleased at all by the absence of even a single shot focusing on Bryce Drew. This is a video of the highlights in 2015-2016, and to edit out the importance of Drew—the Horizon League Coach of the Year (especially when other Horizon League season awards are cited)—misrepresents history and could come across to many as petty.

VULB#62

Was wondering the same thing.  This whole thing with Bryce leaving the way he did still doesn't sit well with me. In my mind, it should have been a mutual admiration experience with good feelings all around -- Valpo sending its favorite son off to bigger and better (hopefully) things and the favorite son thanking the university for all the good things that happened to help make it so.  But that didn't happen, and I'm stumped as to why.

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on May 27, 2016, 11:04:55 AM

As one who regularly deals with emphasizing the importance of accurate representations of history, especially in an academic environment, I am not pleased at all by the absence of even a single shot focusing on Bryce Drew. This is a video of the highlights in 2015-2016, and to edit out the importance of Drew—the Horizon League Coach of the Year (especially when other Horizon League season awards are cited)—misrepresents history and could come across to many as petty.
I was thinking along the same lines.  Drew and Powell were definitely part of the 2015-16 season.  I would like to think that their contribution was important to this past season, as well as the future of Valpo basketball. 

valpopal

Quote from: covufan on May 27, 2016, 11:30:54 AM
Quote from: valpopal on May 27, 2016, 11:04:55 AM

I was thinking along the same lines.  Drew and Powell were definitely part of the 2015-16 season.  I would like to think that their contribution was important to this past season, as well as the future of Valpo basketball.

Yes, Powell also should have been included as well, especially the well-documented scene when he led the team and whole arena at the ARC in the post-game prayer. That was one of the great highlights of the season. The deliberate absence of Drew and Powell is an egregious slight.

Pgmado

I saw the video and was ready to go scorched earth on the whole process. I even started writing with the quote "History is written by the victors" and then saying there are no victors here. Then I talked with someone and a great moment of clarity came over me. Why are these videos made in the first place? As much as its nice for the fans to watch them, the videos are really only there for recruiting purposes. Should Valpo put out a recruiting video featuring a coach that isn't here anymore? If you approach it from that perspective, then you can see why they were excluded. At the same time, Valpo has been on record saying that players come to the school for the program itself, not the head coach, so I don't know what to believe anymore.

Is it time for vacation yet?

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 27, 2016, 11:28:09 AM
Was wondering the same thing.  This whole thing with Bryce leaving the way he did still doesn't sit well with me. In my mind, it should have been a mutual admiration experience with good feelings all around -- Valpo sending its favorite son off to bigger and better (hopefully) things and the favorite son thanking the university for all the good things that happened to help make it so. But that didn't happen, and I'm stumped as to why.

Well, at least half of it didn't happen.  No word from Bryce but President Heckler certainly went out of his way to admire Bryce.  Here is what he said in the official announcement:

"We wish Bryce Drew and his family the best as they prepare for this next step in their journey," said Mark LaBarbera, director of athletics. "It's been a blessing to work with a man who embodies such character and faith. Bryce is an exceptional young coach who has been an integral part of the men's basketball team's success. We are confident we will continue to build on his success and look forward to the future."

"The Drew family has made significant contributions to build upon Valpo's storied tradition, growing it into a national brand that celebrates a winning combination of athleticism, teamwork, quality academics, character, integrity, and faith," said Mark A. Heckler, Ph.D., president.

"We are certainly saddened to see Bryce Drew move on, yet we are thrilled that one of our own alumni has achieved this level of national recognition and success. Valpo has provided a wonderful platform for Homer, Scott, and now, Bryce Drew to each hone their skills as coaches and develop national reputations, and we look forward to working with our next coach to build upon that same platform."

"We send Bryce to Nashville with our good wishes and fervent prayers for God's richest blessing as he aims for a higher level of success," Heckler said. "I am pleased Bryce has moved to another school focused on academic excellence coupled with athletic accomplishment, and I look forward to rooting for another V.U."

I'd say that's pretty glowing! 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on May 27, 2016, 01:08:09 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on May 27, 2016, 11:28:09 AM
Was wondering the same thing.  This whole thing with Bryce leaving the way he did still doesn't sit well with me. In my mind, it should have been a mutual admiration experience with good feelings all around -- Valpo sending its favorite son off to bigger and better (hopefully) things and the favorite son thanking the university for all the good things that happened to help make it so.  But that didn't happen, and I'm stumped as to why.

Well, at least half of it didn't happen. 

Yeah, that's what stumps me.