• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Where is Peters next season?

Started by bsmith21, April 06, 2016, 09:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VUOR63

If checking out is scoring 21 pts per game and grabbing 9 boards, then I wish he checked out earlier in the season.

covufan

Maybe he was being checked out by NBA scouts?

ValpoDad89

I just spoke with my daughter who is a freshmen at Valpo but not an ordinary Freshmen as she is a Crusaderette so has some "Ins" albeit 18-21 year old ins to put into perspective. She said, that if Alec isn't drafted, he's coming back to Valpo, which is line with his words and some others on this board. I think a lot of us can write diatribes on the negatives and positives of 4 Year transferring but usually it's a guy underutilized by a D1 school rather than one that is the focal point of his school. If you can play, have exposure (which Valpo does) the NBA will find you. What you do at the NBA workouts, your ultimate potential (usually reserved for 1 and domes) and can possibly do for individual teams who bring you in carries more weight on your draft ability than college stats. Alec may find one of those teams. Being a DePaul alum, we had Wilson Chandler, who declared as a Sophmore, (had stats no where near Alec but a similar inside/out guy) and our consensus ,as a fan base was not NBA ready. Went to these workouts and ended up being a #1 for the NY Knicks. So the possibility remains he could be gone.

That being said, she said she was sad Lottich is the coach as one of the male cheerleaders who is close with the team said Jubril and Tevonn are gone now. I told her if it's true they are nuts. Jubril has one year left and Tevonn played 2/3 of a season and they will have to sit another year. This team, as it stands, can do serious damage like this year in the HL and take our exposure in the NIT and turn it into an NCAA bid. At the end of the day, if this plays out and we lose all 3, Matt Lottich will make us better in the long run.

VU2014

ValpoDad89: Thank you for sharing.

But I'm really hoping Jubril & T Walker change their minds and stay or it's just speculation. I don't see why T Walker would want to sit out a whole year and only have one season of eligibility and why Jubril would want to leave because he is going to play an even bigger role with the team next season now that Fernandez is graduated and we'll definitely need him to a big and he has familiarity with all his teammates on the court. Also it seemed he and his family were pretty close to the program. I think Jubril's dad was at every home game.

I think if everyone comes back next season we'll have a really good shot of competing for the HL title again and winning the conference tourney.   

ValpoDad89

2014, both of them are projected starters. She mentioned that Jubril has been contacted by some Alabama schools, which to me is downright disgusting but the state of high priced college athletics. If they leave to sit out, greener pastures will not pan out like they do here. That a might've come from youthful emotion and prior to Matt being named HC. Couple that with Luke staying snd there is a ton of continuity here.

If Alec does well and enters the Draft and get drafted after 3 years here, does that not give Lottich an upper hand in recruiting? How many HL coaches say they got a kid in the NBA after 3 years? I don't want Alec to leave but looking at a glass half full if he does.

StlVUFan

Quote from: vufan75 on April 07, 2016, 09:09:14 AMOne could argue if "I" don't take this player some other coach will. Maybe that is accurate. The coaches association should fight to get the rule changed if they do not like the rule.
:thumbsup:

I think you nailed it right there.   The first sentence is his current position.  The last sentence is what he *should* be actively seeking if he truly feels the way he does.

valpospartan

Quote from: nkvu on April 07, 2016, 10:01:31 AM
As I recall Wood initiated the discussion about transferring and Homer contacted Izzo on Wood's behalf. I also recall Izzo expressing reluctance to Homer about taking his star and Homer responding that if the kid was going to transfer anyway than he (Homer) preferred that Wood went to Izzo. Does anyone else remember it this way, or have I just killed off so many brain cells over the years that my memory can't be trusted?  I don't follow Michigan State so I don't know if Izzo has had other graduate transfers since then.
I think you remember correctly.  I think that BW may be the only Graduate transfer Tom Izzo has accepted.

valpospartan

Quote from: valpo64 on April 07, 2016, 12:38:54 PM
I'm getting sick and tired of Izzo saying every year that he is against the transfer rule and then every year he signs up another one.  Enough of the b s!

Since you seem to know all about this, would you please name the seemingly many graduate transfers that Izzo signs?  I'll hang on for your answer.

justducky

Quote from: valpospartan on April 07, 2016, 06:29:17 PMSince you seem to know all about this, would you please name the seemingly many graduate transfers that Izzo signs?  I'll hang on for your answer.
I hate Izzoenableismazation and you can quote me.   ::)

valpotx

It would be moronic for Jubril to leave for another school after his Junior year.  As mentioned by others, he will be more of a presence next year as Smits gets up-to-speed, and going to ANY school in Alabama will be a much worse degree.  Jubril seems to be a highly intelligent guy, and going to school in Alabama would be very unwise.

You never know how true it is, but Paul Oren already said that Tevonn mentioned he would be back, so much of your daughter has heard/been told, is probably just conjecture.
"Don't mess with Texas"

ValpoDad89

Valpotx, I think most of it is. Plus she couldn't say when Tevonn or Jubril made thes statements. Was it before or after the Lottich announcement? These are young kids that put their trust in a guy who left them. They are hurt and sometimes hurt feelings come across as being highly negative. I'll be honest, as slimy as some coaches are, I would not put it past it on any of them to reach out to the "handlers" or those associated with Jubril or Tevonn to inquire. Now that being said, when the dust settles, which it is, do I think these kids are going somewhere else? Highly doubt it.

In Jubrils case, he did have a real nice NIT and played the 4/5 well in Vashils absence. Tevonn was on the bench most of the time during the run but if anyone thinks he can't play, you're nuts. At the end of the day I think both stay because 1. The ramifications are severe and 2. No matter the facilities, the exposure, Valpo is a special place that a lot of people don't know about. I'm glad I love college hoops enough to find a place where I can, as a fan, fall in love with the spirit of college basketball again. Because of that love, my daughter now goes here. Because of that love I found this message board. Because of that love I will bleed Brown and Gold forever. I will hold out hope my BlueDemons find a way but that ain't happening any time soon. I try and turn other college hoop fans that are disgusted with the teams we have in the area to the fact we are an hour drive from the Southside of Chicago. Made it to 80% of the games this year and will do the same. Plus when my kid is done, I'll be a Valpo season ticket holder for life. I don't pay currently as dance team members get freebies. But I was ready to!!! But if you guys knew what the dancers do to get ready for games, her sacrifice is my gain.

That being said, I get 4 freebies to any game and will bring any of you anyone along for the ride if you want. Many times its just me making the drive from Midway Airport. All I ask is that you at least by a hotdog snd coke for yourself as I want to contribute in some fashion!!!!

FWalum

First of all, has anybody taken into consideration that Jubril is most likely not even at Valpo?  Did anyone remember that he was selected as one of two student athletes from the Horizon league to participate in the NCAA Student-Athlete Leadership Forum?  The location of that form is Phoenix Arizona and it started today and runs through the weekend.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpotx

My ex was a Crusaderette, so I am well aware of the sacrifice that they endure to get prepared for each game.  They don't get near enough credit for what they do :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

ValpoDad89

Valpotx, thanks for feeling me bro!!! That is why I like you man!!!! :)

agibson

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on April 07, 2016, 05:28:15 PMas one of the male cheerleaders who is close with the team said Jubril and Tevonn are gone now. I told her if it's true they are nuts

Interesting stuff, but sounds like lots of rumors are swirling around. To be taken with salt, as Dad has suggested.

There have been encouraging, if maybe not completely unambiguous, signs from Tevonn in various settings. And, more convincingly, Oren pretty much has Shane, Skara, and Tevonn on the record (post-Lottich announce) saying that they'll be back.

I haven't seen anything as clear for Jubril, apart from the team meeting, very tight group, etc stuff from Lottich and others. Jubril's dad was at plenty of away games too!

Osipoff reported Peters was at the press conference.

(Interesting reporting from Oren as well on Twitter. Not sure if it all made it to print. AD talks about having made a "responsible" counter-offer to Bryce. Then some garbled tweets, at least I think they were garbled, suggesting the plan has long been to hire internally. I take it to mean that Roger may have been first on list, but Lottich there too. External options considered, maybe with due diligence in mind, but kept coming back to the Butler-style succession plan.)

Mixing threads in a serious way, but interesting to hear from Lottich, and I think also from the AD, that Michael Joseph at Valpo has played a role, apparently for a period of time now, in succession planning. He's VP for enrollment management.

oklahomamick

Would it be inappropriate for fans to contact via social media or write to the players praising them for their season and encouraging them to stay?  I know they are just kids but I'm sure they would greatly appreciate it.  Probably not appropriate but just an idea.
CRUSADERS!!!

ValpoDad89

Mick, I know a lot of fans do already. It's a big part of recruiting as well. A lot of these high profile recruits get a ton of attention and love from fans of schools on their list.

VUSWIM08-12

As it has been discussed on other threads, the higher ups at Valpo, some of the VP's, board of trustees etc don't see athletics as a viable means to promote the academic culture that they want Valpo to be perceived as having(which the academics are great but you can have both, my sister currently goes to Valpo and I'm very glad I'm an alum) Michael Joseph is one of the exceptions, at last years Green Bay title game I chatted with him (over a game of one on one) about the school, and about getting a new pool( which is a crock of a story between the city and VU, if you have ever seen the pool at Valpo its a  :censored: hole, I coach at the DIII level and have yet to see anything worse, but I get it, it wont bring in money, no one watches swim meets etc) and the athletic program. He genuinely cares so I believe the importance of athletics at Valpo is growing, and Heckler also helps. Over the next decade as older employees begin to retire I believe we will begin to see the dynamics shift. Academics are obviously the most important but athletics can and should promote the school in a positive way. As for Peters, baring an NBA draft he'll be back.

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on April 08, 2016, 11:18:38 AMWould it be inappropriate for fans to contact via social media or write to the players praising them for their season and encouraging them to stay?  I know they are just kids but I'm sure they would greatly appreciate it.  Probably not appropriate but just an idea.

For contact with players, I think appropriate/inappropriate is probably the right language. Unless you compensate them in some way, I don't think there are too many NCAA rules about contact between fans/boosters and current student athletes. Some of the players are pretty active on social media, others less so. Some interact a bit with fans on e.g. twitter (at least by way of likes and retweets and such), others less so. To me, congratulations on a good season and the like seems completely legit. Specific "career" advice and such for the future might be a bit fuzzier. I try to keep in mind what it might be like to receive comments from more or less anonymous strangers (perhaps a generation or even two removed from you, etc.). I've gone as far as best wishes for the future, or maybe talking about completing unfinished business next season, etc. Maybe some would consider stuff I've sent over a line. Seems like a pretty personal judgment call.

Dad also brought up recruiting. There are NCAA rules that apply to contact with recruits, as you probably know. I took a look at them a year or so ago as they apply to VU staff, and exchanged notes with the compliance office. For my part, I decided it was probably better for me to stay away from recruits. Unless e.g. the VU coaching staff or similar brought me into the loop, or perhaps it was purely about academics, etc. There are (somewhat different, perhaps) rules that apply to "boosters" as well, and their contact with recruits. Sometimes booster is pretty broadly defined - many people on this board could probably qualify.

ValpoDad89

Gibs, you bring up an excellent point regarding recruiting and social media. I remember a few years back, lowly DePaul was in the Final 5 for Cliff Alexander out of Chicagos Curie HS. DePaul actually put up a billboard touting the program just outside the school on Pulaski Road. Curie is very near my home and I saw it. There were several "fans" on the DP BBall board I frequent (Bluedemonsnation) were asking everyone to tweet Cliff some love and why he should go to DePaul. Nothing that would raise any flags or anything but just trying to show a collective effort. Now I am a pre millenial and don't tweet much, if at all. I didn't do anything but I know others did including many students, he chose Kansas. Oh well. But I think social media and the NCAA' s view of it is currently in the infantile stages and all it takes is one school that is spurned by a recruit to review tweets and raise "concerns" with the NCAA that will cause them to police it further. Why go there.

I gave $500 to athletics this last season as I was going to buy season tickets and didn't have to thanks to my daughter being a Crusaderette (somehow I thought my 5 Hondo would keep Bryce here  ;D). but As Gibs said, I am most likely a booster according to the NCAA. I feel a kid is going to where he feels most comfortable and gives him the biggest chance to succeed and social media will only play a small part. I don't want to be a guy that ultimately cost us a recruit. Saying nice season to a current kid with no strings attached is benign enough if one wanted to do so. If a kid in school reaches out and says you got to come here because we'd all love you is probably benign enough as well but knowing how the NCAA works, when it comes to recruits as opposed to current players, tread lightly.

bbtds

Quote from: rogerwilco on April 07, 2016, 04:14:45 PM
Quote from: valpo64 on April 07, 2016, 03:29:59 PMAlec Peters DID NOT CHECK-OUT!  Those words are not in his vocabulary - period.

"Hi, I'm in room 137 and I'd like to ch-ch-ch...I'd like to...ch...ch...leave this hotel and settle my bill." -Alec Peters

You're right Valpo64!!!

"Wow! Did you see that play Lebron made on Sports Center. You should ch-ch-ch-ch...........watch the replay."

It would be really tough not to have that word in your vocabulary.   ;)

valpospartan

Quote from: justducky on April 07, 2016, 06:59:36 PM
Quote from: valpospartan on April 07, 2016, 06:29:17 PMSince you seem to know all about this, would you please name the seemingly many graduate transfers that Izzo signs?  I'll hang on for your answer.
I hate Izzoenableismazation and you can quote me.   ::)
Still hanging on.

valpo4life

Per Oren's twitter. Jubril is not only staying, but is more excited than ever for next season. Also believe I saw he spoke with Tevonn a couple days ago and was told he is excited for the upcoming season as well.  College kids love to talk and blow things out of proportion.

rogerwilco

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Jubril tell a Crusaderette that he was transferring to a school in Alabama. I guess it's pretty serious.

ValpoDad89

Listen pal, I was only reporting what was being said by at least a few kids on campus. Valpo is a small enough campus where word can get around fairly quickly. I highly doubted it as it didn't make sense and I posted as such with rationale behind it but these are 18-22 year old kids and often times they don't make sense. I know my kid doesn't half the time but I still love her anyway. I just threw it out there as there are several others on this board that are connected with inner workings of the program that may have heard the same thing or refuted it fairly quickly. And you know that there are scumbags and slime balls in the rough and tumble world of college basketball that will pounce on an opportunity to steal a kid from a program going through a coaching right? Heck, they'll even try and poach while the coach is still there. In the end I'm Glad my kid was wrong. Okay?