• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Will You Cheer for Bryce?

Started by a3uge, April 11, 2016, 05:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will You Be Cheering for Bryce?

Yes
32 (66.7%)
No
8 (16.7%)
Completely Indifferent
8 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 48

a3uge

Oren Tweeted a good question.

[tweet]719641449483083776[/tweet]

Will you be cheering for Bryce this year? Or do you secretly hope he fails? Or maybe somewhere in between...

I've created a pro and con list for Bryce succeeding to help you guys with your decision:

Bryce Succeeding Pros:
* Name recognition to the Valpo program - Valpo will be mentioned frequently if he makes the tournament - he hit that one shot while in a Valpo uniform...
* He's an alumn - we're voting for Ginger on Dancing With the Stars, we should be cheering for another fellow alumni, right?
* Coaching trees. Valpo hadn't really produced a decent coaching tree because everyone has stayed at Valpo for awhile. Growing the tree could make Valpo a nice breeding ground for decent coaches.

Bryce Failing Pros:
* Karma - Rude not to at least say 'Thank You For Your Support'. He was one foot out the door, left before finally delivering a win in the NCAA tournament, left before Peters senior season, left open scholarships, and took our top assistant with him. Careful what you wish for Bryce...
* It might make coaches want to stay in longer their low-pressure situation, knowing they're adored and have a job for life doing what they love and still making $400,000 a year, and perhaps the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
* That court is stupid.
* Bryce 2.0 after he gets fired?

Bryce Failing Cons:
* Bryce 2.0 after he gets fired?
* Might make Valpo look bad - we're tied to him in the long run. If Scott and Bryce are both out of jobs, what does that say about the program?
* I guess he's a nice guy.

Bryce Succeeding Cons:
* The gold tie dress code is stupid, so that'll continue.
* More tireless "The Shot" references all tournament long.
* More press conferences that feature the word "umm"
* Wasting timeouts may become a national trend.

M

I will cheer for Vandy, but I don't need every little bit of news about their program.  I'm also not sure I'd want Bryce back if things weren't to pan out in Nashville, I'm very open to having my mind changed on that though.

crusader05

I'll cheer out of valpo loyalty than Drew Loyalty.

If he succeeds I would have no problem with a return to his alma mater after he's made a name for himself and wants to come home. Not really a fan of him coming back if he fails, that's not fair to the team or the school.

elephtheria47

Yes, of course I want him to succeed. I won't follow close, but I hope he does well. He is a valpo grad and a product of Valpo basketball. Why would you not cheer for him? Do you not cheer for other alums? Chances of recruiting the same type of player is slim so theres really no reason not to cheer for him.

valpotx

I hope that he does well, but I will not go out of my way to cheer for Vandy.  I would also be against a return of Bryce to our HC role, as he would just leave again after more success.  He had indicated his desire to be out of Valpo in looking for other jobs ever since his first year of being the HC.  We don't need someone that is looking for another job every single year...
"Don't mess with Texas"

WiscoCrusader

I will cheer against him.  He's dead to me.  He betrayed his father and his families, and I do mean families, just for the almighty dollar.

Pathetic.

nkvu

I wish him success like I would any alum. A lot of good publicity has come to Valpo through the Drew family. And if Vandi happens to be on tv and I happen to come across the game I will pull a little bit for them, just like I do for Baylor. But I won't follow them particularly. Time moves on and people do too. All things come to an end and it was time for the Drew era to be over.

As an old country song goes, "How can I miss you if you never leave?" 

ValpoDad89

I too wish him success as his success will always be tied to Valpo and his shot. We'll always get unnecessary publicity because of him. If he fails, he'll be 47-48 when his contract ends. Good luck, by that time, in the era of millenials who want it now, finding a better gig.

Valpower

I want him to experience relative failure: a loss to Valpo in the NCAA Championship game.

Chairback

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on April 11, 2016, 05:50:25 PMRude not to at least say 'Thank You For Your Support'.

He's _still_ not said anything to Valpo fans, has he?

I mean, he's not on social media. But he could issue a statement, a press release. Or give an interview.

Huh.

M

How about a half page add in the Newpaper (do people still read those).

valpo4life

I guess I'm in the minority here. I will be cheering For Bryce at Vandy and watch whenever I can. I follow Baylor pretty closely and have them listed under my favorites on my ESPN account. Vandy will be added to the list. I don't know how anyone can have any animosity towards him, the man took a promotion. He's pursuing a dream. I will never knock anyone who does that and shame on any of you who seem to be doing just that.

covufan

Quote from: WiscoCrusader on April 11, 2016, 07:47:47 PM
I will cheer against him.  He's dead to me.  He betrayed his father and his families, and I do mean families, just for the almighty dollar.

Pathetic.
Wow

ARCInsider

Quote from: valpo4life on April 11, 2016, 09:30:42 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here. I will be cheering For Bryce at Vandy and watch whenever I can. I follow Baylor pretty closely and have them listed under my favorites on my ESPN account. Vandy will be added to the list. I don't know how anyone can have any animosity towards him, the man took a promotion. He's pursuing a dream. I will never knock anyone who does that and shame on any of you who seem to be doing just that.

This pretty much sums it up. The animosity is just silly.

ValpoDad89

I am guessing his father doesn't feel all that betrayed with his kid making $2.7million per year at the end of his contract, and even if he doesn't make it, will make more from Vandy than an 8 year career in the NBA including being the 16th pick in the 1998 NBA Draft.

justducky

The D-1 chasm between the haves and have nots is enormous and still growing. Has Scott Drew done or said anything to try to slow this spread?

I've always viewed Bryce as a  stronger individual so he will maintain my interest and support. Bryce can not change the world by himself but in a power grab society I do not expect him to feel totally comfortable in the gaited and guarded world of the Power Five.

Vanderbilt and Belmont have not played recently and I doubt if any of this is Rick Byrd's fault. Maybe Bryce should give him a call?

covufan

I will follow Bryce, and wish him well. In his time in a VU uniform, assistant coach and head coach, I believe he has given his everything. What more can I ask of anyone in those positions.

I don't think he left for $$, although that was a consideration. Vanderbilt, and the SEC, gives him the opportunity to recruit and coach a team that can have realistic aspirations for the sweet sixteen on a yearly basis, and final fours in very good years. How can I deny a fellow VU grad the chance at the ultimate in NCAA basketball coaching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valpopal

I have watched and cheered for Bryce since he was in middle school. I attended all of his high school home games and most of the away games. I remember sitting near his parents and watching their concern when Bryce had to kneel at the sideline during action of a game to rest due to his heart condition. I was in Indianapolis to watch Bryce and Valpo play in the high school championship, and I still get upset when I think about the coaching decision that allowed a three-point shot that took the game into overtime and a loss. Nevertheless, I cheered when Bryce was awarded the Trester Award for mental attitude.

I was pleased when Bryce chose to play for Homer at VU, and I attended every home game while he was at VU. I remember his heroics in the triple overtime win for the Mid-Con championship, and I recall where I was as I watched "The Shot" in the NCAA tourney. I remember his fine speech to the crowd on his senior night. Afterwards, I followed him closely in the NBA, first at Houston and then after he came to the Bulls and was part of the dramatic United Center introductions when he was a starter.

I was delighted when Bryce returned as an assistant coach, and I was in the room when he was announced as Homer's successor. I remember the night Valpo lost the Horizon League championship to Detroit; Bryce saw me afterwards and walked over toward me to shake my hand and thank me for supporting the team all season. I was fortunate to be in the locker room for the players' celebration when Valpo won a Horizon League championship and Bryce invited me to join the team to say "The Lord's Prayer" in the locker room circle. I have witnessed him in a number of interactions with members of the community, including addressing Valparaiso community groups, always friendly and cordial, patiently answering the same questions over and over. I have listened to him talk with kids and other fans on the sidelines at other sports, such as women's basketball games and football games. Others who know Bryce better than I have always spoken of him glowingly.

I have seen him build Valpo into the Horizon League power it has become, and I believe he has left the program in as good a shape as he could—considering the limitations on funds and facilities inherent at a small mid-major university—for a new coach he brought in as an assistant and prepared to be a head coach, someone I look forward to cheering as he leads the team in the future.

As I mentioned when I introduced to this message board the opening at Vanderbilt, I thought this would be an excellent situation for Bryce at a school with high athletics and academics in an interesting city that I didn't think he could allow to pass—as someone mentioned, Vanderbilt is Valparaiso on steroids—and I said I wouldn't blame him at all if he took it. I know this was the thinking of administration officials at the university as well. He had passed up other coaching positions that would have brought him a great deal of income, and I knew that wasn't Bryce's priority.

Bryce has been an outstanding athlete, student, coach, and citizen for Valparaiso. Will I follow Bryce at Vandy and cheer him? You bet I will!

ValpoDad89

Valpo pal, a very nice tribute to the person who is Bryce Drew.

oklahomamick

Bryce may have failed to anknowledge Valpo at the Vandy press conference, however if Vandy does well, the media will mention the new coach who performed as a player and a coach at Valpo.  They will say, "this guy won 4 championships in his first 5 years in the HL and oh yeah he hit a shot."

As for Bryce comming back one day and or finishing his career at Valpo, I don't see it happening.  Win or lose at Vandy, the hometown hero has left and will not be coming back.

Best of luck to Bryce and I hope he does well. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vufan75

I'm with Pal, Dad89 and Okiehick on this. Well said folks. Coaches like anybody else in their career move on and up if they can.

wh

I think about Bryce the same as I would an outstanding fellow employee leaving our company for a better opportunity. I feel nothing but happiness for him and his family and wish him great success and fulfillment in his new position.

classof2014

Will I cheer for Bryce? No. Will I cheer against him? No. I cheer for Valpo, Bryce is no longer a part of the program; he did some great things while he was here. Now he's gone. I've never cared about Vandy basketball so there's no reason for me to start. Do I blame Bryce for leaving? Not at all. If somebody offered me a job where my raise is 2 million dollars I would take it in a heart beat. Who wouldn't? Am I disappointed that he left? As a fan, of course.

I follow Valpo basketball. I will not start following Vandy because of Bryce.

FWalum

Connections and relationships are the main reason why I have become a fan or follow a number of programs. Evansville, Wake Forest and Purdue are some of the other places I follow and root for when they are not playing VU.  I have connections to those schools through my children, my good friends and the people I have met while serving some of those institutions.  I will always care about the success of Bryce because of the connection we have as Valparaiso University alumni and because of the relationship I have had with his father.  Their successes have helped this university greatly over the last 20 years and their continued success will do more of the same.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show