• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Ryan Broekhoff

Started by oklahomamick, May 04, 2016, 07:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: usc4valpo on May 14, 2016, 09:29:21 AM
Sheldon Mack was a better college player than Brandon Wood. Cripes, Mack started and was a key cog on 2 teams playing for the national championships. Cripes, I know several of you dislike Butler but let's be real here!

If you took a moment to examine the facts it might help.  In their last seasons (Brandon's and Sheldon's Junior year) Brandon shot 46.3% from the field while Mack shot 40.8.  Brandon shot 36.3% from the 3 while Mack shot 35.3. Mack wa sa better free throw shooter.  Both had virtually the same number of rebounds and Brandon averaged 16.7 versus 16.0 for Mack. Mack averaged slightly more time on the floor.

When Brandon went to MSU things didn't change.  He shot 46.5 from the field and 36.2 from the 3.

As stated above, in their last game against each other.  Brandon was the better player.

As for Mack being a key part of those championship run teams, absolutely.  Give him credit.  Had Brandon played with Howard and Hayward, I suspect he would have been playing in the final four as well.

Brandon has had a very solid pro career.  I certainly agree that if he was better than Mack NOW, he would be playing in the NBA.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Sheldon Mack was a better college player than Brandon Wood. Cripes, Mack started and was a key cog on 2 teams playing for the national championships. Cripes, I know several of you dislike Butler but let's be real here!

I don't think Mack was more talented than Branden. The biggest difference was Mack had an NBA body; Branden didn't. Oh, and while I do fit the description of someone who strongly dislikes everything Butler (even the name itself bothers me), I never had anything but respect for Mack.

valpotx

First post in forum history where Cripes was used, let alone twice?? ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

the Valpo bias is running amok here. Mack plays in the NBA and contribuutes; Wood is playing in Hungary which is not a European basketball hotbed.

I never had an issue with Butler in college but I really loathed Notre Dame and Loyola.

usc4valpo

tx, I am keeping the language down not to offend the Mike Pence and Ted Cruz supporters.   ;)

Pathfinder

The better college player is not always the better pro player.

oklahomamick

Quote from: Pathfinder on May 15, 2016, 04:32:21 PMThe better college player is not always the better pro player.

So the Zags Adam Morrison isnt a good Pro player?
CRUSADERS!!!

valpospartan

In the Euro league third place game, Rowdy shot 7 for 10 for 21 points, along with 6 RB, 3 assists and a steal, as Lokomotiv won 85-75.

VULB#62

Yay, Rowdy. Yay lokomotiv!

koala

The game was amazing, the atmosphere electric, the experience of a life time.   Awesome game by Rowdy, we were excited to be there with him  :thumbsup:

wh

VULB#62

Wow, here's a snip from that article:  :thumbsup:

"Broekhoff was outstanding on the big stage in the Final Four. He made 80% of his 2-point field goal attempts, 83.3% from the free throw line and a red-hot 50% from beyond the 3-point line on his way to averaging an impressive 15.5 points across the two games. His numbers bettered those across all 31 Euroleague games this season in which he was a model of consistency with 8.5 points, 3.4 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1 steal per game while shooting a sizzling 47.2% from beyond the arc."

vu72

Rowdy picking up lots of NBA interest:

http://australia.sportingnews.com/nba-au/news/nba-interest-australian-boomers-ryan-broekhoff-euroleague-free-agency-olympics/1appykr4lr2np1crd18yw63iy3

Fresh from a breakout debut campaign in the Euroleague, Australian swingman Ryan Broekhoff is attracting heavy interest from NBA teams, league sources tell NBA Australia.

Broekhoff completed his first season with Russian club Lokomotiv Kuban last month and remains a part of Australia's provisional 17-man squad for the Rio Olympics, in the box seat to make the final 12-man team.

MORE: Taking stock of 50 upcoming free agents

Kuban fell short in the Euroleague Final Four, but Broekhoff's sizzling shooting (47.2 percent on three-point attempts in Euroleague play), length, and rebounding have caught the eye of NBA scouts.

NBA Australia first reported in January that Broekhoff was likely to net multiple contract offers from NBA teams, with a strong finish to his season in Europe only confirming the focus on the 25-year-old Australian.

As one NBA rep commented: "I definitely think he's got NBA upside, and I don't see any reason why he couldn't be on a roster next year."

Broekhoff featured with Denver's Summer League team in Las Vegas last offseason and the Nuggets — in addition to the Lakers, Pacers, Pistons, Suns, and Wizards — are believed to be monitoring his situation closely.

Entering the second year of his deal in Russia, sources tell NBA Australia that any potential move for Broekhoff will need to satisfy a buyout clause understood to be worth $300,000 (USD), increasing the likelihood that a decision is around the corner.

At 6-7 and with the capacity to fill either wing position, Broekhoff's name has continued to surface in league circles as a player considered among the most likely to jump from Europe's highest tier to the NBA.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

atkins

Thanks for posting this great news about Ryan, Vu72.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Wouldn't it be ironic if Ryan ended up having the better NBA career than Bryce?  There's a real possibility that could happen.  Ryan could easily be a super-sub on an NBA team through his mid-30s.  Alec could fill a similar role, just at an earlier age.  Hopefully, both of them would eventually be starters (although that's a bit of a stretch). 

valpotx

If it happens for him, it couldn't happen to a greater guy, based on what we observed of him at Valpo.  I would make an effort to see him play every time he would play against the Mavs.
"Don't mess with Texas"

agibson

Quote from: koala on May 16, 2016, 04:03:54 AM
The game was amazing, the atmosphere electric, the experience of a life time.   Awesome game by Rowdy, we were excited to be there with him  :thumbsup:

Great to see him shining on a big stage! Looking forward to Rio.

vu72

Another nice article on Rowdy:

Australian star Ryan Broekhoff has Rio, NBA in his sights after Euroleague success
Date
June 11, 2016

Roy Ward
Sports writer for The Age

Prospect: Boomers forward Ryan Broekhoff is hoping his form for the national side will help his NBA dream.

There is no secret why Ryan Broekhoff has rapidly moved from an unknown college kid to the verge of the Rio Olympics and the NBA.

He has taken his opportunities with both hands.

The 25-year-old, 201-centimetre small forward finished his US college career with Valparaiso University in 2013 and caused some surprise when he made the Boomers' 2014 FIBA world cup roster. He quickly showed his worth, moving into a starting role by the time the tournament started.

At the same time Broekhoff was starting his professional European career and this past season he made the major leap from being a strong performer for Besiktas in Turkey to signing with Russian club Lokomotiv Kuban, which had qualified for the prestigious Euroleague – the best league outside the NBA.

Kuban was not a power club like fellow Russian giants CSKA Moscow, but they caused some big upsets en route to making the Euroleague final four in Berlin.

Kuban would lose their semi-final to CSKA but, powered by 21 points in 38 minutes from Broekhoff, they won the third-place game against Laboral Kutxa from Spain.

"Going to a smaller-budget Euroleague team there was no pressure on us other than the expectations we put on ourselves," Broekhoff said.

"We weren't a roster with big names but we had depth and could match it with anyone.

"Finishing third in my first Euroleague season was a huge experience, considering it was the first time in Euroleague for a lot of the guys.

"You would walk into the hotel lobby in Berlin and all the owners, board members, player and coach agents – everyone who is anyone in basketball was there, and that was just the hotel.

"In the stadium the fans packed it out and you just feel it in the air that this was another step up from any other game.

"I was very lucky to end up where I have and in the team I'm in."

Broekhoff's play in Europe has also caught some NBA eyes and, while he had a little taste of NBA play while running around for Denver Nuggets in the NBA summer league last year, he hopes to earn a proper tryout with an NBA club after the Olympics.

While his Boomers' spot is yet to be confirmed, judging from past performances Broekhoff figures as a key player for the Boomers in Rio due to his shooting, rebounding and ability to fit in with other star teammates.

Broekhoff also has fellow Victorian Andrew Bogut promoting his talents to NBA media members as the Golden State Warriors centre has made mention of Broekhoff multiple times when asked about the Boomers' Rio Olympic chances.

"He is not a guy who will go to [NBA] summer league and wow himself into a contract, because he is not a flashy guy. He is not a guy that can isolate one on one," Bogut told Fairfax Media in December.

"He is a great team player, a great rebounder for his size and he can shoot the  :censored: out of the ball – his three-ball is unbelievably consistent. Someone will figure that out."

Broekhoff said Bogut's praise would go a long way.

"I'm going to have to get him something next time I see him," Broekhoff said.

"To have someone like 'Bogues' saying that sort of stuff is a huge honour. It's humbling and I appreciate it. It's good to hear he is looking after his roommate from last year."

Playing in his first Olympics is Broekhoff's top priority after he was one of the last players' cut for the London Olympics while still in college.

But just like going to Rio, playing in the NBA remains a dream Broekhoff wants to turn into reality.

"There will be no opportunity to play in the summer league if I make the Boomers' squad as our preparation runs at the same time," Broekhoff said.

"I'm waiting to see what sort of interest is coming from the NBA and whether a team is looking to pick me up as a free agent.

"There is still a contract with my Russian team [for next season], so those things need to be worked out, but I've been told there is some interest and my agent will be working all the angles."

Fellow Boomers swingman Joe Ingles made a similar leap from the Euroleague to the NBA two seasons ago and is now a fixture with the Utah Jazz. Broekhoff hopes he can land a similar role.

"Like I have done in Europe, if I get my opportunity I will make the most of it and fit my game into how the team plays," Broekhoff said.

"If it doesn't happen this year I'll keep toiling away and try again."

Broekhoff has been home in Frankston for the past few weeks spending time with his family and nieces and nephews.

He's been to a few Geelong Cats games and visited his home club Frankston Blues as well.

But with Rio just months away, and the Boomers' Melbourne selection camp coming up in July, Broekhoff is about to restart training.

"It would be my first Olympics and another childhood dream to tick off the bucket list," Broekhoff said.

"I'm starting to get that itch to get back on court now and get in the best shape for camp."

The Boomers will play two games at Hisense Arena on July 12 and 14 against an all-star team from US colleges in the PAC 12 conference.

After playing in front of a sellout home crowd at Rod Laver Arena last year, Broekhoff admits he hopes to get the chance to play in those two games as part of the Boomers' Olympic team.

"We don't get to play at home too often," Broekhoff said.

​"The only thing better than playing in front of a Melbourne crowd will be playing in Rio."

vufan75

Congratulations, Rowdy!! Great news.

25-year-old @RBroekhoff45 will compete at his first Olympics in the men's basketball team!

https://t.co/xs51TeZW8W https://t.co/55AIa7E7v5

nkvu

Quote from: vufan75 on July 10, 2016, 09:44:32 PM

Congratulations, Rowdy!! Great news.

25-year-old @RBroekhoff45 will compete at his first Olympics in the men's basketball team!

https://t.co/xs51TeZW8W https://t.co/55AIa7E7v5

Fantastic news!!  Congrats to Rowdy and best of luck to him and the Aussies in Rio!  Will barrack hard for them.   ;)

valpospartan

Congratulations to Rowdy.  I'm sure that VU fans will be watching your Olympic games with pride.

bbtds

Quote from: valpospartan on July 10, 2016, 10:39:12 PM
Congratulations to Rowdy.  I'm sure that VU fans will be watching your Olympic games with pride.

I wonder who Rowdy will be guarding if/when they play the USA. Jimmy Butler, DeMar DeRozan, Kyrie Irving, Kyle Lowry or Klay Thompson?

humbleopinion

It will be good to see his skills displayed on a big stage.
Beamin' Beacons

talksalot

Saturday August 6

12:15pm CENTRAL, Australia against the always tough TBD team...

http://www.nbcolympics.com/full-schedule

valpotx

Congrats Rowdy!  Also a bit sad that Kikas' Angola team did not make it for this Olympics, as it looks like the African continent has become much more competitive in recent years.  Angola dominated basketball in Africa for around 16-20 years, but Nigeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, and a few others are competitive.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: talksalot on July 11, 2016, 10:02:35 AM
Saturday August 6

12:15pm CENTRAL, Australia against the always tough TBD team...

http://www.nbcolympics.com/full-schedule

It's France on the 6th, Serbia on the 8th, USA on the 10th, China on the 12th, and Venezuela on the 14th, then the medal round starts on the 17th.