• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Could Any Horizon League Teams Be On The Move In The Near Future?

Started by oklahomamick, June 10, 2016, 10:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklahomamick

Conference realignment has already pillaged two charter members and the marquee basketball program from the Horizon League in recent years. Both Loyola and Butler departed before the first few rounds of realignment settled to a halt.

Now, with rumors of the Big 12 looking to add members, conference realignment may become a reality once more. Any moves the Big 12 may make would be based on what a school could do to enhance the conference's football profile. Certainly no schools in the Horizon League even come close to fulfilling the Big 12's football needs. But, the trickle down effect of Big 12 expansion could result in the Horizon League losing schools to other conferences looking to replenish their ranks.

Which schools are the likely movers? Just about every school would jump at the chance to move to a higher profile basketball conference. But who is currently poised to make the leap?

Milwaukee Panthers  :crazy:

The Panthers could be a target for conferences looking to expand. Milwaukee basketball is generally around the top of the Horizon League standings and would add value to a basketball-centric conference. But, realignment is heavily based on the potential media market each school brings. Milwaukee is big enough city to get the Panthers in that discussion, but with Marquette and Wisconsin nearby, it could be an obstacle.

Milwaukee could be a fit for the Missouri Valley should they decide to expand. Wichita State has recently expressed a desire to bring back its football program and leave the Missouri Valley. The conference would likely want to replace Wichita State or could bring in teams preemptively.

Valparaiso Crusaders   :thumbsup:

Valparaiso certainly has seen a great deal of success on the basketball court in recent years. They bring a high profile name among mid-major circles to the table. Valparaiso also is close enough to potentially draw some of the interest from the Chicago media market. Valparaiso's athletic facilities would likely need to improve for a conference to consider adding the Crusaders though.

Rumor had it that Valparaiso was among the final schools considered by the Missouri Valley the last time they expanded. Of course, Loyola was ultimately chosen, but Valparaiso would once again be a quality choice if the Missouri Valley does decide to expand.

UIC Flames
  :crazy:

Like Valparaiso, UIC was rumored to be a finalist in the last round of Missouri Valley expansion. The Flames have excellent athletic facilities and are located in Chicago, which would make them a prime candidate. Unfortunately, UIC has also struggled on the basketball court recently, but they have the resources to make a comeback in a big way.

While the Missouri Valley was previously interested in UIC, the conference already added cross-town rival Loyola. They may not be looking to another school in Chicago.
Overall

Two potential scenarios seem to put the Horizon League in danger of losing programs once again to realignment. The first would be the chain reaction set off by the Big 12 and then the AAC expanding. If those conferences suddenly start adding members of other conferences, it could quickly open up movement in Conference USA, the MAC, and other leagues across the conference. As a result, the Horizon League could suddenly be an option.

The other scenario is the Missouri Valley looking to beef up its numbers as a preventive measure to Wichita State departing. The MVC was rumored to have courted several Horizon League schools during the last expansion and could turn to the league again. Keep an eye out for further developments on both scenarios in the coming weeks as conferences hold yearly meetings.

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2016/6/10/11890236/could-any-horizon-league-teams-conference-expansion-missouri-valley-big-12-aac
CRUSADERS!!!

VULB#62

Quote from: oklahomamick on June 10, 2016, 10:55:26 AM
Conference realignment has already pillaged two charter members and the marquee basketball program from the Horizon League in recent years. Both Loyola and Butler departed before the first few rounds of realignment settled to a halt.

Now, with rumors of the Big 12 looking to add members, conference realignment may become a reality once more. Any moves the Big 12 may make would be based on what a school could do to enhance the conference's football profile. Certainly no schools in the Horizon League even come close to fulfilling the Big 12's football needs. But, the trickle down effect of Big 12 expansion could result in the Horizon League losing schools to other conferences looking to replenish their ranks.

Which schools are the likely movers? Just about every school would jump at the chance to move to a higher profile basketball conference. But who is currently poised to make the leap?

Valparaiso Crusaders   :thumbsup:

Valparaiso certainly has seen a great deal of success on the basketball court in recent years. They bring a high profile name among mid-major circles to the table. Valparaiso also is close enough to potentially draw some of the interest from the Chicago media market. Valparaiso's athletic facilities would likely need to improve for a conference to consider adding the Crusaders though.

Rumor had it that Valparaiso was among the final schools considered by the Missouri Valley the last time they expanded. Of course, Loyola was ultimately chosen, but Valparaiso would once again be a quality choice if the Missouri Valley does decide to expand.

Two potential scenarios seem to put the Horizon League in danger of losing programs once again to realignment. The first would be the chain reaction set off by the Big 12 and then the AAC expanding. If those conferences suddenly start adding members of other conferences, it could quickly open up movement in Conference USA, the MAC, and other leagues across the conference. As a result, the Horizon League could suddenly be an option.

The other scenario is the Missouri Valley looking to beef up its numbers as a preventive measure to Wichita State departing. The MVC was rumored to have courted several Horizon League schools during the last expansion and could turn to the league again. Keep an eye out for further developments on both scenarios in the coming weeks as conferences hold yearly meetings.

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2016/6/10/11890236/could-any-horizon-league-teams-conference-expansion-missouri-valley-big-12-aac

Valpo competes in 19 D-I varsity sports (plus Robotic FB, Ultimate Frizzbe and possibly Ice Hockey as club sports).  The MVC competes in 17 of those sports (Bowling is not listed for MVC and Football is a separate MVC Football conference). Valpo has excellent facilities for all MVC sports except one, and only one -- MBB.  Valpo's home attendance for this year was 3,500+ per game.

Here's the MVC attendance figures (Conference Av = 5210):
WSU - 10,805
Bradley - 5953
UNI - 5378
SIU - 5277
Ill State - 5199
E'ville -5147
Mizzu State - 4140
Ind State - 3672
Drake - 3087
Loyola - 1831

Without Wichita State the conference av drops to 4409

Here's where  Valpo would rank if it replaces WSU:
Bradley - 5953
UNI - 5378
SIU - 5277
Ill State - 5199
E'ville -5147
Mizzu State - 4140
Ind State - 3672
VU - 3572
Drake - 3087
Loyola - 1831
Conference av would then be 3968 (or a slight drop of 500 from the WSU-less MVC.

IF....  the MVC comes calling again, IMO it would not be unreasonable for VU to commit, as a condition to an invitation, to upgrading the ARC and expand capacity to 6000 within a 5 (?) year time frame.  With the upgrade, improved competition, greater brand recognition I could see our average attendance be closer to 5K than 4K which would put us in the middle of the MVC pack.

M

Is that a multi bid league without Wichita State? I'm not so sure it is.

crusaderjoe

Doubtful that the Big 12 expands anytime soon, IMO.  Where is Wichita going? The MWC?  With C-USA's rolled out media deal, I'm surprised UTEP or Rice don't have one foot out the door already--there is more money to be made elsewhere. WSU could certainly fit in the AAC with football, but so could Southern Miss and others. I would imagine that any AAC movement would require Big 12 movement first.  Lack of interest by the MVC in NMSU tells me they have no plans to beef up as a preventative measure either. 

VULB#62

oklahomamick

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 10, 2016, 12:20:42 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on June 10, 2016, 10:55:26 AMConference realignment has already pillaged two charter members and the marquee basketball program from the Horizon League in recent years. Both Loyola and Butler departed before the first few rounds of realignment settled to a halt. Now, with rumors of the Big 12 looking to add members, conference realignment may become a reality once more. Any moves the Big 12 may make would be based on what a school could do to enhance the conference's football profile. Certainly no schools in the Horizon League even come close to fulfilling the Big 12's football needs. But, the trickle down effect of Big 12 expansion could result in the Horizon League losing schools to other conferences looking to replenish their ranks. Which schools are the likely movers? Just about every school would jump at the chance to move to a higher profile basketball conference. But who is currently poised to make the leap? Valparaiso Crusaders   :thumbsup: Valparaiso certainly has seen a great deal of success on the basketball court in recent years. They bring a high profile name among mid-major circles to the table. Valparaiso also is close enough to potentially draw some of the interest from the Chicago media market. Valparaiso's athletic facilities would likely need to improve for a conference to consider adding the Crusaders though. Rumor had it that Valparaiso was among the final schools considered by the Missouri Valley the last time they expanded. Of course, Loyola was ultimately chosen, but Valparaiso would once again be a quality choice if the Missouri Valley does decide to expand. Two potential scenarios seem to put the Horizon League in danger of losing programs once again to realignment. The first would be the chain reaction set off by the Big 12 and then the AAC expanding. If those conferences suddenly start adding members of other conferences, it could quickly open up movement in Conference USA, the MAC, and other leagues across the conference. As a result, the Horizon League could suddenly be an option. The other scenario is the Missouri Valley looking to beef up its numbers as a preventive measure to Wichita State departing. The MVC was rumored to have courted several Horizon League schools during the last expansion and could turn to the league again. Keep an eye out for further developments on both scenarios in the coming weeks as conferences hold yearly meetings. http://www.midmajormadness.com/2016/6/10/11890236/could-any-horizon-league-teams-conference-expansion-missouri-valley-big-12-aac
Valpo competes in 19 D-I varsity sports (plus Robotic FB, Ultimate Frizzbe and possibly Ice Hockey as club sports).  The MVC competes in 17 of those sports (Bowling is not listed for MVC and Football is a separate MVC Football conference). Valpo has excellent facilities for all MVC sports except one, and only one -- MBB.  Valpo's home attendance for this year was 3,500+ per game. Here's the MVC attendance figures (Conference Av = 5210): WSU - 10,805 Bradley - 5953 UNI - 5378 SIU - 5277 Ill State - 5199 E'ville -5147 Mizzu State - 4140 Ind State - 3672 Drake - 3087 Loyola - 1831 Without Wichita State the conference av drops to 4409 Here's where  Valpo would rank if it replaces WSU: Bradley - 5953 UNI - 5378 SIU - 5277 Ill State - 5199 E'ville -5147 Mizzu State - 4140 Ind State - 3672 VU - 3572 Drake - 3087 Loyola - 1831 Conference av would then be 3968 (or a slight drop of 500 from the WSU-less MVC. IF....  the MVC comes calling again, IMO it would not be unreasonable for VU to commit, as a condition to an invitation, to upgrading the ARC and expand capacity to 6000 within a 5 (?) year time frame.  With the upgrade, improved competition, greater brand recognition I could see our average attendance be closer to 5K than 4K which would put us in the middle of the MVC pack.

With the ARC only being at 71.44% capacity through out the year adding seats is not the answer.  The ARC is difficult place to play, lets keep it that way.  Just improve the locker rooms, bathrooms, concessions and add a couple VIP lounges/suites on the track.   :twocents:
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

Quote from: M on June 10, 2016, 12:25:03 PM
Is that a multi bid league without Wichita State? I'm not so sure it is.
Is the MVC a multi bid league without Creighton?

M

They were last year and both teams won a game I believe. I know it was a fluke, but this looks like it's take more then a fluke to be a two bid league. That said, I'd probably still go to the MVC as it could be a stepping stone to better things in the future.

VULB#62

QuoteWith the ARC only being at 71.44% capacity through out the year adding seats is not the answer.  The ARC is difficult place to play, lets keep it that way.  Just improve the locker rooms, bathrooms, concessions and add a couple VIP lounges/suites on the track.   :twocents:

To a great degree I agree with the intent of your comment - the ARC must maintain it's character and it must continue be a pit for visiting teams.  But averaging almost 72% over the whole season is very good in comparison to a lot of D-I teams. I'm guessing most MVC teams can't say they reach that %age. And by being at 72% it indicates some games pushed the capacity limits.  With that in mind and purely from an MVC standpoint (the MVC evaluators who will pass judgement and maybe extract some commitments), I believe THEY want to see a commitment that shows some increase in capacity (along with all the things you mention). If I were them that's what I'd do -- they feel like they are in the driver's seat.

The ARC will be even more intimidating IF, as the 30 year plan indicates, an addition is built on the north wall  of the ARC to include more locker rooms, training room facilities, lavatories, concessions, offices, etc., at the ground level. Above that would be constructed another activity/gym area that on game nights would mirror the upper bleachers on the south side with moveable bleachers that would expand over that area. That would enable the two lower sections to be upgraded to nicer chair backs on both sides and the east side could then (because of the relocation of the concessions) have larger roll-out permanent bleachers that would allow for 2 student sections.  Homer Drew Court and the closeness of the fans wouldn't change -- there'd just be 500 more people in a sell-out. And as you point out, perhaps some VIP boxes could be shoehorned in on the east and west ends on the track level. Then, if it is known in advance that a particular game is far from a sellout, the new north bleachers could remain closed and the ARC becomes its old cozy self again.

oklahomamick

Quote from: VULB#62 on June 10, 2016, 05:27:52 PMI believe THEY want to see a commitment that shows some increase in capacity

I don't know....I thought the HL had a requirement that the bball stadium had to be 5,000.  That was probably because campuses hosted the tournament.  Anyhow, they ignored it and let Oakland in. 

I believe mid-major conference should get away from looking at the "market" or facilities and go after successful programs with consistent good rpi's
CRUSADERS!!!

Valpower

Quote from: oklahomamick on June 21, 2016, 10:59:42 PM
I don't know....I thought the HL had a requirement that the bball stadium had to be 5,000.  That was probably because campuses hosted the tournament.  Anyhow, they ignored it and let Oakland in. 

I believe mid-major conference should get away from looking at the "market" or facilities and go after successful programs with consistent good rpi's
100% correct.  It's the only way to improve a conference and increase revenues.  Selecting a consistently mediocre team with good facilities is like recruiting a 98-pound middle linebacker because he owns a XXL shirt.  Consistently good teams with mediocre facilities in a lesser conference have the greatest potential to benefit from conference upgrades and have demonstrated that they have the culture required to win.

VULB#62

Quote from: Valpower on June 22, 2016, 12:31:04 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on June 21, 2016, 10:59:42 PM

100% correct.  It's the only way to improve a conference and increase revenues.  Selecting a consistently mediocre team with good facilities is like recruiting a 98-pound middle linebacker because he owns a XXL shirt.  Consistently good teams with mediocre facilities in a lesser conference have the greatest potential to benefit from conference upgrades and have demonstrated that they have the culture required to win.

Got to admit Loyola getting into the MVC was an aberration and much was made of their facilities commitment in that invitation.  But the real attraction was the Chicago market.  Sample the MVC forum now and you'd see much second guessing and eye rolls about that decision.  Learning from this, the next addition to the MVC will have had a history of solid RPI finishes FIRST AND FOREMOST -- they will have to replace WSU for gosh sakes.  Can't do that with a UIC (though they do have the Pavilion and draw better than Loyola    ::)  ).  At the time Loyola got the bid, Valpo could not point to 5 years of solid RPI ratings and multiple HL titles.  It can now. It also has an NIT finalist banner to point at -- but, alas, no first round NCAA wins  :(  That makes Valpo, despite its criticized facilities, IMO, a very attractive replacement for WSU -- if, that is, WSU goes to the MWC as rumored.  This next year will be key year in that respect.  We have to maintain our winning tradition and good RPI standing.   We also need to get that first NCAA win under our belt.  However, if an opening comes to be, the MVC will once again do their due diligence, make their visits to candidate schools, and finally extend an invitation. Assuming no other school can match our record, I believe, that invitation will go to us based on our record of competitiveness and the quality of the people and players in the Athletic Department and especially the MBB program. If there is another school that is comparable in terms of record and location within the MVC foot print, it will come down to facilities and we'd lose. But if that invitation comes thorough,  I also believe that invitation will come with at least two conditions, because that is what conferences do in order to upgrade at every possible occasion:

(1) That within a reasonable time period -- 5 years? -- significant steps will have been taken to ensure that attendance at Valpo MBB conference games will average around 5,000/game.  From an MVC standpoint that is logical (as they lose a team that averaged 10k spectators a game).  For Valpo to do that, they would need to increase their advertising and marketing efforts AND expand to at least 6,000 seats to allow for the average to get that high.  That's where the 30 year plan-proposed north addition to the ARC and upper level comes into play.
(2) That within that same reasonable time period, all other varsity sports must improve their overall competitiveness to be competitive within the MVC level of competition. We appear to be going in that direction recently.  But continued improvement requires additional scholarship aid and, perhaps, better coaches salaries.  Again from an overall MVC perspective, I believe they will want a new member that adds more than just to MBB.  In the first few years in the HL Valpo was the worst in the McCafferty ratings.  This is changing, so this commitment is not as challenging as the first.

VU2014

When Mid-Major Conferences are searching for new members they are not solely about the quality of RPI and a schools tradition of winning. There are so many factors that play a roll in inviting new schools to the conference. Much of it has to do with
-TV revenue (targeting regions to max eyeballs and rev),
-School size (enrollment, alumni base population, etc.)
-public or private school (is a factor for some conferences)
-can the conference establish a recruiting footprint in your geographic regions
-Cost effective scheduling for other schools to travel (specifically the none bread winning sports travel costs),
-the schools commitment to the athletic department (is the school willing to invest $$$ in the programs?),
-stadium capacity, quality of facilities (also in non-basketball or non-breadwinning sports facilities up to par?) When the MVC came scouting our campus we didn't even have a track at the time)),
-ease of travel for other schools fans to get to your campus,
-commitment of the surrounding community to your athletics program,
- and of course does the team have a history of winning and making it further in national tournament to allow current schools to get a piece of the $$ pie your program generates
-The biggest factor in getting an invite comes down to simple economics. If the conference thinks that inviting your school to the conference will grow conference revenue then you are MUCH more likely and probable to get an invite or be under consideration. It comes down to $$$

VULB#62

Quote from: VU2014 on June 22, 2016, 03:44:01 PM
When Mid-Major Conferences are searching for new members they are not solely about the quality of RPI and a schools tradition of winning. There are so many factors that play a roll in inviting new schools to the conference. Much of it has to do with
- TV revenue (targeting regions to max eyeballs and rev), NOPE
- School size (enrollment, alumni base population, etc.) VU would be the smallest
- public or private school (is a factor for some conferences) N/A
- can the conference establish a recruiting footprint in your geographic regions YES - already has
- Cost effective scheduling for other schools to travel (specifically the none bread winning sports travel costs), YES - already has
- the schools commitment to the athletic department (is the school willing to invest $$$ in the programs?), YES - if that was a condition and VU accepted that condition
- stadium capacity, quality of facilities (also in non-basketball or non-breadwinning sports facilities up to par?) When the MVC came scouting our campus we didn't even have a track at the time)), YES - see previous
- ease of travel for other schools fans to get to your campus, YES - no worse than Loyola (with better parking)
- commitment of the surrounding community to your athletics program, Better than Loyola, Indiana State but not rabid
- and of course does the team have a history of winning and making it further in national tournament to allow current schools to get a piece of the $$ pie your program generates NOT YET
-The biggest factor in getting an invite comes down to simple economics. If the conference thinks that inviting your school to the conference will grow conference revenue then you are MUCH more likely and probable to get an invite or be under consideration. It comes down to $$$

I like your assessment and threw some comments of mine in.  We don't hit on all cylinders.  And we come up $hort on being the next pot of conference gold at the end of the rainbow. A school like South Dakota State {{{already in the MVC Football Conference, building a new 19,000 capacity FB stadium, 10K students, 6,500 seat arena, always in the Summit's top three in MBB (though they just lost their HBB coach to Wright State), and are the only show in Brookings, SD }}}  could probably match up with your check list pretty good too, and they have much better facilities and have thrown much more money into the athletic program.

VU2014

Just something to keep an eye on. This could start a chain reaction for other conferences losing and gaining schools. (We obviously won't be moving to the BIG12 but this could open up spots for smaller schools at "better" conferences then the Horizon down the road.)

Bob Bowlsby to begin contacting schools to gauge interest in Big 12

Jake Trotter
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The Big 12 Conference announced Tuesday that it has authorized commissioner Bob Bowlsby to begin exploring expansion candidates.

The Big 12 board of directors met in Irving, Texas, and deliberated on the merits of expansion, hearing presentations from two paid consultants on the issue.

Bowlsby is expected to begin contacting schools to gauge their interest in the Big 12 in the coming days.

"It's a forward step, a positive step," said Oklahoma president and board chair David Boren, who has been the most outspoken proponent for Big 12 expansion. "Not yet a decision ... but it shows momentum on the board to consider [expansion] as a possibility."

Boren said expansion by both two and four schools will be on the table moving forward.

Numerous schools have been pitching the Big 12 behind the scenes for months, including American Athletic Conference members Cincinnati Connecticut, Memphis, Houston and Central Florida, along with BYU, Colorado State and others.

"We've been contacted by a number of institutions, and I would imagine after this news breaks we'll be contacted again," Bowlsby said.

Big 12 leaders have acknowledged that none of the available schools is a natural fit. None is guaranteed to deliver both highly competitive teams -- especially football teams -- as well as large new markets to increase the value of future media deals.

"We are looking for members that will grow over time as we grow," Bowlsby said. "That bring stability. That have a high top end."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/17108512/big-12-begin-exploring-expansion-candidates

oklahomamick

A lot of talk on the radio down here about the possibility of Baylor being shown the door (Chicago St. style).  Don't forget this is the same Baylor where the bball coach tried covering up a murder on the team (S Drew getting his big chance).  And now this?  I don't think Baylor will be strong armed out but Big 12 commissioner said actions can be taken towards baylor.  All indications trend hard toward Big 12 expanding, but Nobody flip flops more than the Big 12. 

The question is what moves if any could help VU chances on moving up?  If the Big 12 takes a couple American conference programs, will there be a domino effect? 

If MVC in facts chooses a candidate based on mens basketball performance, rpi of last 8 years and national name with a midwest location, Valpo has to be that candidate.  If the MVC looks at facilities and markets we might be in trouble.  But that criteria should be held for the big 12 not a mid-major. Markets don't matter without a conference network
CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

Quote from: oklahomamick on June 21, 2016, 10:59:42 PMI believe mid-major conference should get away from looking at the "market" or facilities and go after successful programs with consistent good rpi's

Sure, the only people thinking like that are people who can't get their schools to provide the money for the better facilities. DePaul isn't worried about facilities. They just worry that there is no room in Lincoln Park and will the fans get on the red line to get to their facilities.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on July 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM
A lot of talk on the radio down here about the possibility of Baylor being shown the door (Chicago St. style).  Don't forget this is the same Baylor where the bball coach tried covering up a murder on the team (S Drew getting his big chance).  And now this?  I don't think Baylor will be strong armed out but Big 12 commissioner said actions can be taken towards baylor.  All indications trend hard toward Big 12 expanding, but Nobody flip flops more than the Big 12. 

The question is what moves if any could help VU chances on moving up?  If the Big 12 takes a couple American conference programs, will there be a domino effect? 

If MVC in facts chooses a candidate based on mens basketball performance, rpi of last 8 years and national name with a midwest location, Valpo has to be that candidate.  If the MVC looks at facilities and markets we might be in trouble.  But that criteria should be held for the big 12 not a mid-major. Markets don't matter without a conference network

Living in Dallas it is a regular topic on sports radio.  The leading candidates from what I've heard include BYU, Memphis, Cincinatti, Houston and most recently Colorado State.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

Baylor is not going to be kicked out of the Big 12.  It will probably add Houston, Memphis, and if they go to 14, UCF and Cincinnati. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpotx on July 31, 2016, 07:07:36 PMBaylor is not going to be kicked out of the Big 12.  It will probably add Houston, Memphis, and if they go to 14, UCF and Cincinnati.

They won't get kicked out, but a lot of fans wouldn't mind if they did....So the big 12 adds some mid-major commuter schools.  I wish OU would leave the big12. 

If big12 adds 3 from AAC, then AAC will add from either CUSA, MAC, or even Wichita St. themselves (granted they are getting a football team) 
CRUSADERS!!!

VU2014

Anyone else think Belmont would be a prime candidate to add to the Horizon League?

Belmont is currently a party of the Ohio Valley Conference which it moved to from the Atlantic Sun Conference in 2012 which is an odd fit being the smallest school in the conference and the only private school and one of the only school that doesn't have football program. Seems like a fit on paper.

I think they'd be a solid fit.
-Belmont is in Nashville (close enough for travel)

-adds another big market for TV/advertising and recruiting

-Private school

-School enrollment in line with the size of the rest of the conference at 7,771

-no football program

-Belmont has tradition and has a great basketball program increase the competitiveness of the conference.

-Belmont is already in the Horizon for soccer.

vu84v2

Belmont would be great for the Horizon League, but would the Horizon League be ideal for Belmont? If I were the AD at Belmont, I would be targeting....the MVC.

M

VU2014

QuoteIf I were the AD at Belmont, I would be targeting....the MVC.

I guess it would depend on travel cost and how much $ each conference is pulling in. I'm not saying the Horizon League is the cream of the crop but going forward in the future I'd rather be in the Horizon League over the OVC. The Ohio Valley isn't a great conference, and I'd think they'd benefit from finding a new conference. Agreed I'd rather be in the MVC than the Horizon though. I'm sure there are quite a few politics and logistics that go into adding teams and switching conferences that make things very complicated.

Many of these mid-major conferences are one or two schools away from being a really ugly conference. The top conferences keep on poaching schools to expand every so often, like the Big East has done with Butler and Creighton.

oklahomamick

Then pull the 3 most consistant programs from the midmajor ranks and make a little big east.   
CRUSADERS!!!