• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Peters at Nike Academy

Started by vusupporter, July 27, 2016, 03:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vusupporter

Really surprised nobody has posted about this yet - Alec Peters got invited to a Nike camp with almost exclusively high-major players, and from the looks of Twitter reports, has been one of the stars of it.

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2016-17/15608/peters-participating-in-nike-basketball-academy/
[tweet]757692151799091201[/tweet]
[tweet]757771670937440256[/tweet]
[tweet]757771255365902336[/tweet]
[tweet]758144537122439169[/tweet]

motowntitan

That is the same one that Paris Bass was at last year.  Maybe the Horizon will be good again and we can start sending one player each year.

Best of luck to Alec.

VULB#62

Let's keep this string rolling:

[tweet]758493750695833600[/tweet]

swiftmutiny

Quote from: vusupporter on July 27, 2016, 03:08:39 PM
[tweet]757771670937440256[/tweet]

Some follow-ups from Rob Dauster:

[tweet]757775656096714752[/tweet]

And lastly, the article that he wrote, containing a nice blurb about Peters: http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/07/28/monte-morris-jalen-brunson-among-the-top-performers-at-nike-skills-academy/

Glad to see Peters making an impact. We're quite blessed to be able to watch him play for four years here at Valpo.

Vale O. Paradise

High praise from Luke Winn at Sports Illustrated. AP was one of only a few with extended write-ups, and he also made Winn's top 5:

"Nike didn't keep stats on the scrimmages, but if they had, I'm fairly certain the lone mid-major representative, Valparaiso's Alec Peters, would have come out as the academy's most efficient scorer. The 6'9" forward made his pick-and-pop threes at a ridiculous clip—it seemed like well over 50%—and ran the floor in transition for plenty more points. When he was paired in ballscreen actions with Morris, their teams were unstoppable.

It's not as if Peters came out of nowhere: He's been one of the nation's most efficient offensive players for the past two seasons. As a junior in 2015-16, he made 43.8% of his treys, and had a 127.1 offensive rating while using 22.9% of Valpo's possessions. Still, seeing Peters thrive in this Nike setting, surrounded by major-conference competition and playing before a large audience of NBA scouts, led me to believe he'll be one of the nation's best perimeter forwards for '16-17 and a potential draftee next June. He declared for the 2016 draft but pulled his name out, and also turned down the opportunity to leave Valpo for another school as a graduate transfer after the Crusaders' coach, Bryce Drew, took the Vanderbilt job this off-season. Peters could have chosen any number of national-title contenders and been immediately eligible, but, he said, "I couldn't see myself playing anywhere other than Valpo." Peters could see himself improving after the Nike experience, though: He headed back to Valpo with four pages of handwritten notes on everything from LeBron James's speech to the campers, a film session with Anthony Davis and hands-on instruction from Rasheed Wallace."

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2016/07/28/nike-skills-academy-college-basketball

VULB#62

QuoteAP was one of only a few with extended write-ups, and he also made Winn's top 5:

Here's how he wrote it: "But my All-Academy first team would be: Morris, Brunson, Peters, Clemson's Jaron Blossomgame and Baylor's Johnathan Motley."    :clap:

Last man on the roster (the only mid major guy, remember) but top 5 at the end.

[tweet]757661937480114176[/tweet]

valpopal

More praise for Peters, called a cinch to be Horizon League Player of the Year and named top candidate for Mid-Major Player of the Year:

HORIZON LEAGUE PLAYER OF THE YEAR IS LOCKED DOWN

Last year, it was a battle between Kay Felder and Alec Peters for the Horizon League Player of the Year. While Felder is now suiting up for the Cleveland Cavaliers, Peters has returned back to college for one more year and it would seem that Peters is the best mid-major player in America....

http://www.hoopseen.com/news/event/201607/10-things-learned-nike-skills-academy?utm_content=buffer90988&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

FWalum

Quote from: valpopal on July 29, 2016, 03:20:49 PMHORIZON LEAGUE PLAYER OF THE YEAR IS LOCKED DOWN

Last year, it was a battle between Kay Felder and Alec Peters for the Horizon League Player of the Year. While Felder is now suiting up for the Cleveland Cavaliers, Peters has returned back to college for one more year and it would seem that Peters is the best mid-major player in America....
QuoteHe showed off improved athleticism at the basket, a much stronger physique, and a go-getter mentality that should enable for ginormous numbers on any given night during his senior campaign.
Since we know what kind of a teammate Alec is, I think his improvement will help elevate everyone's game.... I think this team has a ton of potential.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Vale O. Paradise

Another great story about Alec, his decision to return to VU, and his performance at Nike. We're lucky to have him.

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2016/08/02/inside-alec-peters-decision-to-return-to-valparaiso/

FieldGoodie05

Pretty well answers our questions about how NBA scouts do their scouting.  Gone are the days when dominate small school players are over looked due to lack of exposure.  Technology being the great equalizer....

There are always going to be questions on level of competition they suit up against, but refreshing they steered him in the right direction.  I too was worried about their recommendations being self serving VS seeing him develop which is the real goal.  His testing of the NBA waters was just that.

His dominance was on display when the pressure was off (NIT), having missed the NCAAs.  Love to see what Alec can do with his newly minted aggression.