• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Alec greatest Crusader ever?

Started by wh, September 12, 2016, 10:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

It almost seems like sacrilege to even ponder such a thing, but I have to admit it has crossed my mind. When it's all said and done, is there any way that Alec could surpass Bryce as the greatest player in Valpo men's basketball history? 

Just wondering what everyone thinks...

valpopal

When Alec was recruited I mentioned on this board he could be the second-best player in Valpo basketball history, reserving the first spot for Bryce. Unless Alec takes the team to the Final Four or has an historic shot equal to Bryce's, I think he will still be seen as second no matter what the final career stats read.

VULB#62

This question is probably in the back of a lot of people's minds, but let's wait and see what the season brings first. And I don't want to jinx Alec with the weight of excessive early expectations.  I for one will just enjoy the season and when the final shot is taken, then I'll add my vote to any poll any of our posters is willing to set up. My feeling is that Matt will unleash Alec and create sets to optimize his talents, plus Alec will, within the flow of the game, be THE MAN for 35 minutes of every game. This is gonna be great to watch - I envy all you season ticket holders and those of you within a 2 hour drive of the ARC.

justducky

Quote from: VULB#62 on September 12, 2016, 11:23:54 PMThis question is probably in the back of a lot of people's minds, but let's wait and see what the season brings first. And I don't want to jinx Alec with the weight of excessive early expectations.
Maybe the better question would be to speculate on the length and success of his future NBA experience. Could Alec exceed the stats and longevity that Bryce posted? Wouldn't be a bit surprised and I might even bet on it (small wager).

vu84v2

Given all that Bryce Drew contributed to the Valpo program as a player and then a coach, it would seem nearly impossible to move him from number 1. A final four is probably the only thing that could change that. This is taking nothing away from Peters, who has been exemplary as a player and member of the Valpo community. For me, Peters is in that grouping of great Valpo players like Broekhoff, Barton and probably Schmidt and Redmon who made major contributions that made the team and program better.

For the question about Peters in the NBA. He is not going to be a dominant athlete, so it then comes down to fit. He is likely going to do well on a good team whose system fits his skills, but could struggle on a team that focuses too much on athleticism.

M

If he wins an NCAA tournament game he is, without a doubt, the greatest player we've had.

motowntitan

Quote from: M on September 13, 2016, 12:05:53 PM
If he wins an NCAA tournament game he is, without a doubt, the greatest player we've had.

I was about to disagree, and require Sweet Sixteen or Elite Eight.  However, given a rookie coach, I agree one win in the tourney would do it as well.

DMvalpo18

I think that when this season finishes, Alec will be the undisputed second best player in Valpo history. As for first, I think it would take passing Bryce on the scoring list (very likely to happen), taking the team to the tourney and winning at least one game, and also more longevity in his nba career. If Alec can have a long career in the nba, he will be the best player Valpo ever produced.

bbtds

Quote from: DMvalpo18 on September 15, 2016, 11:18:11 AM
I think that when this season finishes, Alex will be the undisputed second best player in Valpo history. As for first, I think it would take passing Bryce on the scoring list (very likely to happen), taking the team to the tourney and winning at least one game, and also more longevity in his nba career. If Alec can have a long career in the nba, he will be the best player Valpo ever produced.

Who Alex or Alec?

M

This guy ^^^ obviously we know who he is talking about.  :crazy:

VU2014

Bryce is still the best player in Valpo history. Bryce played in the NBA for multiple years as shooter in a time when being a shooter in the NBA wasn't as valued as it is in todays game.

Alec definitely has the potential, but he has to prove he can lead this team on tourney run or at least get out of the first round of the Tourney.

nkvu

If Alec breaks Bryce's scoring records and goes on to exceed Bryce's NBA career then he will be the best player in Valpo history.  That is based on stats. But to me greatness is more than stats. There's more story to it.

Think about Bryce's story. Bryce was a hometown kid recruited by major schools, but stayed home to play for his dad at Valpo. Led a Cinderella Valpo team to two wins in the big dance and made a buzzer beater on an incredible play that is replayed countless times on national tv, ending in a big hug from dad. This one event gave Valpo more national publicity than anything that has happened before or since.

But the story didn't end there. After his pro career he came back to Valpo coached with his dad and then took over the program as head coach, revitalizing a program that had slipped somewhat and taking it back to the dance and to an NIT final.

It would take a truly remarkable senior year from Alec to surpass that story.

vu72

Quote from: nkvu on September 15, 2016, 03:24:11 PM
If Alec breaks Bryce's scoring records and goes on to exceed Bryce's NBA career then he will be the best player in Valpo history.  That is based on stats. But to me greatness is more than stats. There's more story to it.

Think about Bryce's story. Bryce was a hometown kid recruited by major schools, but stayed home to play for his dad at Valpo. Led a Cinderella Valpo team to two wins in the big dance and made a buzzer beater on an incredible play that is replayed countless times on national tv, ending in a big hug from dad. This one event gave Valpo more national publicity than anything that has happened before or since.

But the story didn't end there. After his pro career he came back to Valpo coached with his dad and then took over the program as head coach, revitalizing a program that had slipped somewhat and taking it back to the dance and to an NIT final.

I think the original question concerned their playing careers at Valpo.  Perhaps I'm wrong.  Your analysis covers 17 years after Bryce graduated.  We'll have to wait a while to make that comparison.

To this point the difference between Bryce and players like Rowdy or Alec has more to do with their ability to shine against big programs on big stages.  When Bryce was on the court in NCAA games (accept his sophomore year), he simply would not let Valpo get blown out--he basicly said "give me the ball and get on my back"! This intangible is in addition to his scoring records.

Alec, early last year was not a huge factor in big games.  Against RI he scored 14, Against Oregon he scored 13 and against OSU he scored 11.  At the end of the year things improved and hopefully bodes well for a dominating player worthy to a comparison to Bryce.  Against GB he scored 32 in the semi game and against Florida State he scored 26 and had 20 against St. Mary's.  In Rowdy's big game against Michigan State he scored 8. 

I think Alec has the chance to be considered a better all around player than Bryce.  The story will come down to can he take over the game and dominate like Bryce could.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on September 15, 2016, 05:06:15 PM
Quote from: nkvu on September 15, 2016, 03:24:11 PM

I think the original question concerned their playing careers at Valpo.  Perhaps I'm wrong.  Your analysis covers 17 years after Bryce graduated.  We'll have to wait a while to make that comparison.

To this point the difference between Bryce and players like Rowdy or Alec has more to do with their ability to shine against big programs on big stages.  When Bryce was on the court in NCAA games (accept his sophomore year), he simply would not let Valpo get blown out--he basicly said "give me the ball and get on my back"! This intangible is in addition to his scoring records.

Alec, early last year was not a huge factor in big games.  Against RI he scored 14, Against Oregon he scored 13 and against OSU he scored 11.  At the end of the year things improved and hopefully bodes well for a dominating player worthy to a comparison to Bryce.  Against GB he scored 32 in the semi game and against Florida State he scored 26 and had 20 against St. Mary's.  In Rowdy's big game against Michigan State he scored 8. 

I think Alec has the chance to be considered a better all around player than Bryce.  The story will come down to can he take over the game and dominate like Bryce could.

Good perspective 72.  Greatest CRUSADER player ever was WH's question.  I am with you on setting that as the boundary -- NBA and post playing career are out of scope.  Let's compare BD's 4 years and Alec's 4 years and draw a conclusion.  You are on solid ground comparing the styles of the two -- Bryce being "take charge in big games" from practically the beginning of his career while Alec tended to defer to older players and pretty much always played within Bryce's coaching system.  Yet, he still is challenging Bryce's records. I had a thought on that:  Remember Bryce played for his dad.  Would his dad have enforced a play within my system concept or was he smart enough to polish the golden egg?  I think the latter, which might have made a difference in Bryce's approach to playing.  It is without doubt Alec will break tons of records along the way this season and many are Bryce's.  But it all comes down to two big IFs this season: (1) IF he follows the NBA counseling he got and takes the team on his shoulders night after night and dominates,  and (2) IF that produces an NCAA run to at least the sweet 16 round.  If he does that he will be crowned.  Oh, and don't forget that this is a team game, so the other 11 guys have to show up too and not just stand around on game night.

DMvalpo18

Quote from: bbtds on September 15, 2016, 11:54:50 AM
Quote from: DMvalpo18 on September 15, 2016, 11:18:11 AM
I think that when this season finishes, Alex will be the undisputed second best player in Valpo history. As for first, I think it would take passing Bryce on the scoring list (very likely to happen), taking the team to the tourney and winning at least one game, and also more longevity in his nba career. If Alec can have a long career in the nba, he will be the best player Valpo ever produced.

Who Alex or Alec?

Oops! Now it's corrected. I think my iPhone auto-corrected me.

4throwfan

VULB#62 brings up a very good point, but I have a slightly different take.

Oh, and don't forget that this is a team game, so the other 11 guys have to show up too and not just stand around on game night.

This is a team game, and I don't want the team performance denigrated for the sake of hoping Alec shows NBA cred.  Remember that last year Felder showed NBA cred, but the "team" aspect of Oakland was not good.  Other Horizon Leagues stars of the past have also showed NBA cred, but their team did not perform as well as hoped/expected.  Alec has played within a team system that has worked well for him and the team.  That should continue.  I guess what I'm saying is that I hope that Alec improves his game so that his stats are better, but not to the extent of NOT doing things (good screens, assists, etc.) that also improve the team.  How many team losses is an NBA caliber season for Alec worth?  I'd say "none."