• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Alec Peters - Sophomore edition

Started by wh, August 31, 2014, 12:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpopal

At the end of Valpo's non-conference play, here are the current stats for Alec Peters vs Keifer Sykes. Note that Sykes has played a whopping 8 more minutes per game than Peters in the non-conference schedule.

It will remain to be seen whether these numbers hold in conference play, and I know there is a league bias towards Sykes because he is a senior and is hyped as an NBA prospect. Also, those who voted in pre-season predicting Sykes as the Player of the Year wouldn't want to be proven wrong. Finally, whether Green Bay or Valparaiso comes out ahead in the standings may be a factor.

However, all other things equal, if the conference stats continue to look like those below, I would have to give the edge for Player of the Year to Peters, who leads in 6 of 10 crucial categories.

Minutes per game: Peters 26.4, Sykes 34.2

Points per game: Peters 19.0, Sykes 17.3
Rebounds per game: Peters 5.9, Sykes 4.5
FG percent: Peters 53.5, Sykes 47.5
FT percent: Peters 83.7, Sykes 84.1
FT made per game: Peters 2.7, Sykes 4.1
3-pt FG percent: Peters 50.6, Sykes 32.1
3-pt FG made: Peters 44, Sykes 18
Assists per game: Peters 0.9, Sykes 3.6
Steals per game: Peters 0.8, Sykes 1.8
Turnovers per game: Peters 1.4, Sykes 2.2

a3uge

Quote from: valpopal on December 30, 2014, 01:11:42 PM
At the end of Valpo's non-conference play, here are the current stats for Alec Peters vs Keifer Sykes. Note that Sykes has played a whopping 8 more minutes per game than Peters in the non-conference schedule.

It will remain to be seen whether these numbers hold in conference play, and I know there is a league bias towards Sykes because he is a senior and is hyped as an NBA prospect. Also, those who voted in pre-season predicting Sykes as the Player of the Year wouldn't want to be proven wrong. Finally, whether Green Bay or Valparaiso comes out ahead in the standings may be a factor.

However, all other things equal, if the conference stats continue to look like those below, I would have to give the edge for Player of the Year to Peters, who leads in 6 of 10 crucial categories.

Minutes per game: Peters 26.4, Sykes 34.2

Points per game: Peters 19.0, Sykes 17.3
Rebounds per game: Peters 5.9, Sykes 4.5
FG percent: Peters 53.5, Sykes 47.5
FT percent: Peters 83.7, Sykes 84.1
FT made per game: Peters 2.7, Sykes 4.1
3-pt FG percent: Peters 50.6, Sykes 32.1
3-pt FG made: Peters 44, Sykes 18
Assists per game: Peters 0.9, Sykes 3.6
Steals per game: Peters 0.8, Sykes 1.8
Turnovers per game: Peters 1.4, Sykes 2.2

The fact that they play different positions makes it easier for the HL to just give it to the NBA prospect. If Peters maintains this pace, it would be criminal if he isn't POY. In terms of advanced metrics, he's 4th in the entire country in PER, 2nd in win shares, and 11th in effective field goal percentage. Sure, Sykes is a point guard, but he's not top of the conference in many of the categories you'd judge a point guard on vs a small forward. A/T Ratio he's 13th, APG he's 6th, Assist % he's 8th, Steals P/G he's 3rd.

Unfortunately since Sykes makes cool dunks and might get drafted, he, by default will win the award.

Kyle321n

Quote from: Kyle321n on October 23, 2014, 10:00:21 AM
If we're looking at a Dougie McBuckets-esque player I really hope he takes the Frosh to Soph jump Doug did.

If Alec makes the jump here's what we're in store for. I think you'll like what I've found.

32.5 MPG 26.4
20.7 PPG 19.0
58.5% FG% 53.5
82.1% FT% 83.7
44.0% 3P% 50.6 !!!
2.0 3PM/G, 3.3 FTM/G 2.9 and 2.7
5.9 RPG 5.9
1.3 ORPG 1.5
1.3 APG 0.9
1.9 Fouls/G 1.9
4 Blocks (not per game total) 5 thru 15 games!
26 Steals 12 (right on pace)

Yeah, if he avoids the early conference slump he had last year and has the same late season push then he should be able to match the Doug-jump!
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Kyle321n

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: Kyle321n on January 06, 2015, 04:43:34 PMGuys did you see the story in the Peoria Journal Star on Alec?
No, but check out this one about Alec.  It's a nice story about his top-drawer resume. 

totally a totally different article
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

There was a story on Alec in the PJS about his top-drawer college career. I apologize if this has already been posted.

<a href="http://www.pjstar.com/article/20150105/SPORTS/150109692/?Start=1">Alec Peters building a top-drawer basketball resume at Valparaiso</a>

EDIT: Ooooops! (not Oppps) Jeeez! I was only the 4th one to post this!  ???    :-*   :P

Kyle321n

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: bbtds on January 06, 2015, 08:20:45 PM
I was only the 4th one to post this!  ???    :-*   :P
The 5th!  Get it right!

EDIT:  i mean the 4th. you were totally right, bbtds.  everyone go ahead and click on my completely different link.  that's...that's it.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

In case you were awake too pondering the mysteries of life, like "would I be better off fouling Alec when shooting a 3?" the answer (this year) is no.

Shooting 84.3% from the line, the odds are just over 60% that he will make all 3 free throws.  Whereas he's now 47.2% from behind the arc.

What's interesting is that if he hadn't improved his FT stroke, his current 3FG% would need a FT rate of 77.8% to make it a wash (i.e. doesn't matter, from an odds-POV, whether you foul him or just let him shoot the 3).  Last year he shot 77.3%.

BUT just as he has improved his FT stroke, so also his 3FG, which was 38.6%, has improved greatly.

Bottom line, in case this isn't making much sense given the hour, is

Kyle321n

Quote from: Kyle321n on December 30, 2014, 02:30:52 PM
Quote from: Kyle321n on October 23, 2014, 10:00:21 AM
If we're looking at a Dougie McBuckets-esque player I really hope he takes the Frosh to Soph jump Doug did.

If Alec makes the jump here's what we're in store for. I think you'll like what I've found.

32.5 MPG 29.1
20.7 PPG 17.0
58.5% FG% 50.0
82.1% FT% 83.9
44.0% 3P% 46.6
2.0 3PM/G, 3.3 FTM/G 2.4 and 2.7
5.9 RPG 6.6
1.3 ORPG 1.7
1.3 APG 1.3
1.9 Fouls/G 1.8
4 Blocks (not per game total) 9 thru 28 games!
26 Steals 19

Yeah, if he avoids the early conference slump he had last year and has the same late season push then he should be able to match the Doug-jump!
I updated the numbers for the through 28 games. While the scoring numbers are below the average jump Dougie made and the 2 point shooting is quite what he did, the three point shooting, rebounding and peripheral stats  look right on. I think we'd take 2 more seasons of 50%-45%-85% with 5-6 rebounds a game. Hell with Vashil graduating he could see his rebound numbers tick up.

While I don't think Alec will be playing in the big league and getting picked in the lottery like Doug, he could lead a mid-major team to some really good seasons like Doug did.

classof2014

The thing about Alec is his maturity level for a sophomore. He doesn't take bad shots, just because he's a good 3-point shooter doesn't mean whenever he touches the ball he launches a 3 with a hand in his face. He does all the little things that go unnoticed. There have been very few times I've been frustrated with a decision made by Alec. I think the next step will be having him develop the ability to drive into the lane. I don't see why this can't happen. In the last four games he's had two double-doubles and was a rebound shy of having a third double-double. I do like that he can post up and get some easy baskets, that was a big part of that key stretch when Alec scored 10 points in the GB game, none came from outside. He did it down low and converted a few old fashioned 3s.

To me he's the PoY. He doesn't do too much, like Keifer who does force it at times. It's not just skill level to me that determines the best player in the league. It's the decision making as well. His scoring number have been down over the past couple of games but the effect he has had on the game hasn't dropped off.

Sykes forces it too much. I'd much rather have night where you're 4-7 for 13 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal, and 1 turnover, than going 6-17 for 18 points, 4 assists, 5 boards, and 3 TOs. Decision making is what separates the skill players, Alec has made better decisions over the past few games compared to Keifer.

Keifer's mentality is "I gotta score to win." While Alec's is "I gotta play well to win."

vu72

I agree he is most likely POY at this point.  I've got Howard, Sykes, Peters, Felder and maybe Grady as first teamers with Petros, Tiby, Lewis, Hain and McWhorter on the second.  All defense would be Fernandez, Tiby, Felder, Fouse and Grady.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo4life

Quote from: vu72 on February 18, 2015, 11:24:13 AM
I agree he is most likely POY at this point.  I've got Howard, Sykes, Peters, Felder and maybe Grady as first teamers with Petros, Tiby, Lewis, Hain and McWhorter on the second.  All defense would be Fernandez, Tiby, Felder, Fouse and Grady.

Any all defense team without Dante Williams from Oakland would be a travesty to me. He has limited Alec to 7 and 11 points in their two matchups, Trey Lewis went for 0 and 5 against him, Howard had 11 and 9 in their meetings. Not sure if he guarded Sykes or not in their one meeting so far this season so I won't speculate. But just what he has done to slow down those 3 players who all very well may be first teamers, puts him solidly on the team.

wh

I agree that he should be POY, and that's not a criticism of anyone else. I love Sykes and Felder but at 6-9 Alec is a unique talent, especially at the mid major level. He can shoot the lights out from anywhere on the court, he can play with his back to the basket, and he is a strong position rebounder, all while playing against various gimmick defenses designed to deny him the ball and double teams once he gets the ball.

classof2014

It seems that Keifer's stock has been decreasing recently. He seems overworked and exhausted. I don't think he's going to get drafted. If you play physical against him he tends to have an off night. He's undersized for the NBA and doesn't have a good enough outside shot to be respected as a shooter. NBAers are exponentially stronger than mid-major athletes. If Keifer goes into the NBA he'll be around for a year or two and disappear.

Anyways, Alec does deserve PoY. It'll depend on who wins the conference. If it's Valpo it's Alec; anyone else its Keifer.

HC

Agreed, if Valpo wins it will probably be Peters.  If CSU wins I'd give it to Trey Lewis.  I don't think GB will win it unless Keifer is healthy these last few games and he goes completely nuts.

LaPorteAveApostle

I know I'm usually the irrationally optimistic one, but one thing to keep in mind is that most people are only looking at conference stats, and there Alec hasn't fared as well (14.7 ppg vs. 19.0 OOC).  So you've got twin philosophies of "conference play only" vs. "best player from the best team" going H2H here.  We'll see!

HC

Looking at stats....is it possible that Valpo could have no first teamers and win the league? Peters is our only first team hopeful. He is 9th (tied with Jay Harris) in scoring and 5th in rebounding. I'm removing my POTY for him based solely on stats. We all know what he could do if he was playing 38+ minutes and shooting it twice as often.

I could see a Felder, Sykes, Lewis, Howard (Grady), Petros being first teamers. With Peters, Walker, Fernandez, Tiby, and Grady (Howard) being second teamers.

Seems to me like Sykes, Felder or Lewis is your POTY and Drew is your COTY.

classof2014

He's a first teamer, no doubt.

He is currently top 10 in scoring, rebounding, FG %, 3 pt FG %, and FT%

He's one of the top 5 players in the conference, defenses focus on him, yet he still puts up really good numbers in many different categories.

HC

I'm by no means saying he isn't one of the top 5 (or top two) players in the league. But, you can certainly make an argument for each of those other guys. I didn't even throw in Mays and Fouse who could both be 2nd teamers.

classof2014

1st team (top 3 are potential POY)

Peters
Sykes
Lewis
Felder
Howard

2nd team

Tiby
Mays
Petros
Grady
Lee

All D

Fernandez (d PoY)
Fouse
Felder
McWhorter
Grady

Freshman

Walker (FoY)
Bass
Skara
Hayes
Benzinger

Sixth Man

Nick Daniels

CoY

Bryce

vusupporter

Any all-Defensive team without Dante Williams on it is null and void.

wh

Anyone who would put Howard on 1st team and not Peters should have their ballot taken away permanently. In watching Detroit last night, I don't think think there is a lazier defensive player in the league.  An offensively challenged GB team had a field day going around him, back dooring him and outworkimg him on the boards. On offense he is totally one dimensional - shoot the ball 5 feet beyond the NBA 3-pt. line where no one closely guards anyone.