• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2014-15 Season

Started by classof2014, October 10, 2014, 09:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpotx on November 04, 2014, 12:48:06 AMHammink is standing, David Skara is the guy sitting
...which is what i said.  sleep deprivation must be getting to you.

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on November 03, 2014, 11:01:22 AMI particularly enjoy the fact that Shane Hammink is standing rather than sitting.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Because I wanted to know each individual player I figured it out for everybody.

I'm wondering if there were too many coaches and staff to include them in the picture this year.

Front row, left to right=David Skara, E. Victor Nickerson, David Chadwick, Vashil Fernandez, Alec Peters, Jubril Adekoya, Chandler Levingston Simon

Back row, left to right=Shane Hammink, Darien Walker, Max Joseph, Lexus Williams, Keith (Drew?) Carter, Tevonn Walker, Nick Davidson

LaPorteAveApostle

posted in the game thread, but not the best place for it.

check out Paul Oren's series of tweets on the team:
https://twitter.com/NWIOren

(It IS scary to think that the only *player* link between Rowdy & Co. and this year is...Vashil.)

Thoughts on Hammink's denied the eligibility:
--it is a bummer, and it might not seem like a big deal now, but the NCAA's (non)decision just made us go from 4 scholly slots open in 2016-17 to 3.
--However, that puts him in Peters' et al. class. ...which we thought was good before.
--Making the offseason effectively a trade of Clay Yeo for Shane Hammink.  Not a bad deal.  Who *wouldn't* have made it?
--Also, the payoff is that instead of getting a 20- and 21-year old Shane, we get a 21- and *22*-year old Shane.
--22 > 20.  So, there's that.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu72

Title in 2016?  or is it 2017?  Think of the Butler guy...
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

justducky

As others have stated we are going to learn a bunch in the next three days. My optimism for the 15-16 season has been growing by the day but we should soon have a much clearer picture of the ceiling for this years team as well.

I do hate being wrong but this is a case where I hope that I have been too conservative and that this team can mature early and far exceed my preseason expectations just as our 2011-12 team did.

justducky

Quote from: justducky on November 28, 2014, 02:25:05 PMAs others have stated we are going to learn a bunch in the next three days. My optimism for the 15-16 season has been growing by the day but we should soon have a much clearer picture of the ceiling for this years team as well.
One solid performance down with hopefully two more to follow.

Was just now starting to wonder about next years distribution of playing time if Williams and Nickerson are then fully healthy and Hammink is as solid as some seem to think. I wish we had problems like that every year!

wh

The season is barely off the ground and you're thinking about next year? Talk about looking ahead.  :o

Since you brought it up - Assuming everyone returns and returns healthy, next years team should be the best combination of size, quickness, strength, athleticism and experience in Valpo history.   Meanwhile, back at the ranch... ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

Should be, but ask Lexus Williams how quickly your outlook on a season can change.

Remember to focus on the here and now; which was more fun to follow:  the 'Rowdy team' their junior year, when everything was a pleasant surprise, or their senior year, when noblesse oblige and all that--everyone griped whenever they managed to lose?  They did make it back to the Dance, of course and that was great...but I'd imagine that that first year many people thought "if we're this good this year imagine when everyone's back with more experience!"

This year is going to be a pleasant surprise in part because no one seems to be expecting that much.

Although we keep winning and we're going to have to ratchet that up a bit  : )

valpopal

[tweet]552201059347992576[/tweet]

justducky

A few odds and ends that I wanted to stick somewhere------

Several players have benefited from the Carter injury but none more than Tevonne. More of the scoring and ball handling responsibilities have been handed to him and he has risen to the occasion.

The only way I can describe the development of 13-14 Vashil into 14-15 Vashil is as an "extraordinary improvement". I can't think of any comparisons of equal magnitude!

Suddenly Jubril has found an accurate 14 foot jumper to mix in with those nifty 2 and 3 dribble scoops and up and under moves around the rim. I can think of a fair comparison for Jubril (as backup center) and that would be of a senior Cory Johnson. If Jubril ever develops a 35% 3 point shot then hold on to your hats!

valpopal

[tweet]557941800426815488[/tweet]

classof2014

The success of Tevonn shows how strong of a coach Bryce is, not just Tevonn but all the freshmen/newcomers over the past few seasons.

Other than Alec not many of the freshman were highly recruited over the past few seasons. You also have to look at the surprises. Last season I wasn't expecting much from Lexus yet he was looking like a bright young star who was on of the best freshmen in the league. Although injured for the season, we're basically trading sophomore year Lexus for 5th year senior year Lexus, which is a good trade in my mind. You also look at Jubril and although started off slow this season is playing much more to his potential. Also last season Clay Yeo played significant minutes as well.

This season people thought Valpo's incoming class was suspect. 2 Canadiens, a Croatian, and late JUCO transfer. Tevonn is a candidate for FoY, Max has been huge since the recent injury to KC, Skara has held his ground, and Darien is showing that he's a scoring threat at any time.

You also look at the transfers he's brought in over the years. We go back to Will Bogan who was a terrific 3-point shooter, Ben Boggs who was a big part of the Broekhoff years, as well as Bobby and All conference player in LVD. He also got the most out of KVW and Rowdy became an all-conference player as well. Now we have guys like KC, who before the injury, was looking like an all-conference player. As well as the addition of EVN, who has stepped up into a position he's unfamiliar with and really has given us good minutes and has improved from game-to-game.

The biggest sign of Bryce's ability is Vashil. Who was a project to say the least. A great kid with little basketball experience to one of the most intimidating players in the conference.

Time and time again they pan to the bench after a substitution and you see Bryce sitting with the player and talking to him, not just pacing up and down the sidelines. He's fantastic coach and a great person. Valpo has the potential to become more than a team with a cinderalla dream, they can become that team that crushes those dreams and truly become a mid-major powerhouse.

FWalum

Very nice article on Tevonn, Bryce and Tevonn's adjustment to college life and D1 basketball.  Got to briefly meet his mother at the IPFW game, she seems very supportive.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

vu72

To me, the recruiting is what's so impressive.  When we heard about Tevonn and Max, there was a lot of head scratching.  Two Canadians who basicly didn't have any (or few) D1 offers. I was wondering why Bryce et al couldn't find a top notch guard or two in the state of Indiana, or Illinois, or...lots of states.  The reality is that Tevonn is an absolute steal.  How many D1 freshman guards from Indiana who aren't playing at high major schools are better then Tevonn? 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

classof2014

So far in conference play both Vashil and Jubril have been shooting lights out!

Vashil is 25/35 which is good for 71%, Vashil has added a few nice post moves as well as the hook shot which seems to go in every time.

While Jubril is 21/26 for an outstanding 80.8% and Jubril has been great finishing getting the ball to the rim and finishing as well as the development of his mid-range jumper has kept defenses honest and have to respect him as a capable shooter.

valpo84

Just to echo. Jubril down low last night was unstoppable. He showed an array of post moves and a nice Carlos Boozer-esque 5 ft fall-away. Then he hit a 12-14 fter. Since conference play began and [    ], he has really settled down and played as a possible 6th man of the year in conference.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpo84 on January 21, 2015, 01:08:40 PMBoozer-esque
That's a great comparison, especially because usually being called "boozeresque" is the opposite of a compliment.

Well..."Boozer-esque" isn't always a compliment either.  I'm sure you're talking ca. 2007, not present day, though : )

valpo84

Understand.... Actually, I'll take any form of Boozer, old or young. The other night he was still hitting that fall away 5-7 fter against the Cavs. Over his 4 years in Chicago 15.5/9, with an array of inside moves and a 15 ft jumper (set shot). He has had a very good FG% -- 52.3% and doesn't need or take 3s. He's taken a lot of guff over the years for over 13000 pts and nearly 8000 rebs (nearly a double double).  Not his fault Rose was broken 2 years in a row. Would prefer that Jubril play a bit more D.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

wh

As an avid Bulls fan, I think the comparison to Boozer is a very good one - and one I never would have thought of.  I loved Boozer on the offensive end.  It was on defense where Carlos had his struggles, but I know that's not what you're comparing.   

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on January 21, 2015, 12:13:16 PM
Very nice article on Tevonn, Bryce and Tevonn's adjustment to college life and D1 basketball.  Got to briefly meet his mother at the IPFW game, she seems very supportive.

"Before I made my decision, I had a big conversation with my mom and my grandma, and it felt just like I was making my grandma comfortable and (also) my mom, knowing that I would be around good people who have good values," said Walker.

"Also being under Bryce Drew, who has those values, but also has been to the highest level in basketball and has a great bank of knowledge just waiting to be dished out to all the players. So it kind of worked both ways."

Nice!

humbleopinion

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 21, 2015, 03:33:16 PM
Quote from: valpo84 on January 21, 2015, 01:08:40 PMBoozer-esque
That's a great comparison, especially because usually being called "boozeresque" is the opposite of a compliment.

Well..."Boozer-esque" isn't always a compliment either.  I'm sure you're talking ca. 2007, not present day, though : )

So the term does not refer to a certain incident  on Linden Lane that we hope is behind him?
Beamin' Beacons

vu72

Anybody else notice that we've already won as many games as we did all last year (final 18-16) !!  Lots of work to do!!

LaPorteAveApostle

gosh, i hope we don't lose 13 in a row

covufan

Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2015, 08:47:16 PM
Anybody else notice that we've already won as many games as we did all last year (final 18-16) !!  Lots of work to do!!

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 22, 2015, 09:07:42 PM

If we do, we know where to start the blame chain...

Kyle321n

Quote from: covufan on January 23, 2015, 04:25:41 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 22, 2015, 08:47:16 PM

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 22, 2015, 09:07:42 PM

If we do, we know where to start the blame chain...

-Our super weak OOC schedule, next season we schedule 8 high major programs all with RPIs better than 25
-The refs for allowing the other team's PG to shoot 24 FTs in each of our remaining games
-The HL for letting the wrong Chicago team go
-The other team's coaches, because they're awful
-Tom Brady for deflating the balls
-The athletic department for not having a nice enough stadium
-THE FANS for not coming out to senior day despite the 10 game losing streak.
-The new Hockey team for distracting our players attention and recruiting Alec to come play for them.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer