• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2014-15 HL Tournament Thread

Started by wh, March 03, 2015, 05:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Since the tournament begins this evening, I thought it would be good to have a thread for on-going discussion as the games progress. 

I found this new video on the HL website "Coaches talks about the feelings they have during the Horizon League Tournament," including comments from Bryce:

http://www.horizonleague.org/video.html?id=13855

Also, a new HL Men's Basketball Weekly giving a tourney overview:

http://www.horizonleague.org/video.html?id=13855

covufan

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on March 03, 2015, 05:17:36 PM"Coaches talks about the feelings they have during the Horizon League Tournament,"
followed by "Her Eyes On Leage Ofishuls Speak Pretty One Day"
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

HC

As everyone predicted, YSU is up 6 at Detroit at the half. Also, Howard didn't even start tonight for some reason?

agibson

Quote from: HC on March 03, 2015, 06:58:35 PM
As everyone predicted, YSU is up 6 at Detroit at the half. Also, Howard didn't even start tonight for some reason?

"Coach's decision" - but has been playing plenty of minutes, I think.  Not scoring much yet.

I missed this new thread.  From the other:

Quote from: agibson on March 03, 2015, 06:30:23 PM
I just turned this game on a minute ago, pleasantly surprised to see YSU up 7.  But, they've already frittered it away...

Quote from: agibson on March 03, 2015, 06:37:24 PM
Calihan looks pretty empty.  They are making some noise, however.

YSU's built the lead up a couple of times since frittering it away when first I tuned in.  YSU's had a bunch of turnovers, but also a bunch of steals.  Blown fast breaks, but at least one recovered after.  Both sides looking... dare I say... pretty beatable.  But hustling.

agibson

They're calling the ARC a high school gym, and saying it's their least favorite building in the league.  But acknowledging it as definitely a tough place to play.

agibson

Was that three fouls on one possession?  Detroit with its first lead of the game, under four minutes remaining.

HC

I quit watching the game....Captain America took over while my wife hosts a pampered chef party upstairs.

They can hate on the ARC all they want. It's a great atmosphere to take in a game and I can only imagine the energy the players feel when their home crowd is blowing the roof off the place.

I suppose a Detroit win will make the quarter finals a better game and hopefully wear out our opponent a lot more.

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 03, 2015, 06:11:43 PM
Quote from: wh on March 03, 2015, 05:17:36 PM"Coaches talks about the feelings they have during the Horizon League Tournament,"

Dude, you get into the communion wine?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

"The Pavilion has erupted"

- overstatement of the year

UIC somehow up 1.

a3uge

Good thing no high school gym tho

historyman

UIC knocks off WSU by 3 and Jay Harris gets to play another game at the ARC!

Who told you so, baby?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

vu72

And they win! After being down by 19!!  Clearly Jay Harris would have been a very valuable part of our team and perhaps put us in a different category.  He st the all time UIC record tonight, making his 153 free throw. As for the crowd "erupting", I can certainly undrstand the emotion.  Heck, there had to be 300 at the game !!!!

(let me just say that the idea of "campus" locations for first round games has clearly past its time)
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

classof2014

Quote from: vu72 on March 03, 2015, 08:59:24 PM
And they win! After being down by 19!!  Clearly Jay Harris would have been a very valuable part of our team and perhaps put us in a different category.  He st the all time UIC record tonight, making his 153 free throw. As for the crowd "erupting", I can certainly undrstand the emotion.  Heck, there had to be 300 at the game !!!!

(let me just say that the idea of "campus" locations for first round games has clearly past its time)

If Harris would've stayed at Valpo he would've graduated last year.

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on March 03, 2015, 09:01:20 PM
If Harris would've stayed at Valpo he would've graduated 6 years ago.

FIFY

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

talksalot

Let's put it another way... "The Higher Seeds Advance... and I like that theme."

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on March 03, 2015, 08:27:25 PM
Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 03, 2015, 06:11:43 PM

Dude, you get into the communion wine?

No, the priest lost the key to the communion cabinet, even though it doesn't exist.

LaPorteAveApostle

If you read "Coaches talks about the feelings they have", and didn't notice anything, then *you* are the one tippling.

Or possibly living with Smeagol.

Kyle321n

Quote from: vu72 on March 03, 2015, 08:59:24 PM

And how many people would have gone to these games last night if it was in Valpo? Detroit and YSU aren't going to bring anyone here 4 and 5 hours away to watch a first round game on a Tuesday and the same goes to Wright St. UIC might have brought a bus, but what would that have consisted of? 100 students and parents? As for the NW Indiana community, why would they show up to games for teams that are going to be eliminated before the home town team plays? I MIGHT have gone if the tickets were $5. Hell I had the games on my phone while I watched my regular Tuesday night TV shows (which means I cleaned out my DVR from the weekend/last week)
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valporun

Not too many from the South Side of Chicago were going to go watch WSU-UIC on a Tuesday when IHSA 4A Regionals just got underway, and CPL teams are playing. More fans will go watch those games before they'll watch a 1st round HL tourney game at UIC between two teams they paid ZERO attention to all winter. It's just how it is in Chicago.

In terms of Illinois college basketball, it has fallen off the radar because the state knows that if you can't recruit Chicago because you don't know Chicago, then you won't get enough of the top Chicago kids to stay in state and play for the Illini, DePaul, Illinois State, Western Illinois, and Bradley. I didn't include Loyola or Northwestern as the top kids aren't looking at those schools due to more focus on education over basketball, athough Chris Collins is trying to balance that out in Evanston.

talksalot

and Valpo High lost in the Boys sectional last night... after sweeping the Duneland Conference... they lost to Crown Point in the Merrillville Sectional... had they kept winning, the sectional title game would be on Saturday opposite the VU game.   Sad for the HS... may help us round up the upper deck.

valpopal

Check out this article by Aaron Leavitt that details the 2012, 2013, and 2015 season championships highlighted in the new forum banner above: http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2014-15/14437/run-at-the-top-the-crusaders-success-under-bryce-drew/#.VPclvWTF9RY

talksalot

History of match ups being repeated on Friday night:

Oakland defeated UIC at Pavilion 81-56   
Oakland defeated UIC at ORena 91-77
Oakland is 1-3 at Neutral Courts, beat Chicago State, losses to Iowa State, Western Carolina and Georgia State
UIC is 0-2 at Neutral Courts, losses to Yale and Southern Illinois
=========================
CSU defeated Detroit at Wolstein 70-66
Detroit defeated CSU at Calihan 66-65
Detroit is 1-0 at Neutral Courts, Win over Maryland-Eastern Shore and Mike Myers.
Cleveland State has not played at Neutral Court this season