• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Thank You Bryce!

Started by WiscoCrusader, March 10, 2015, 09:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usc4valpo

I have to say that the speculation is pretty entertaining. Jean Lenti Ponsetto, DePaul AD and former 3 sport DePaul athlete,  has done well with women's sports but has no clue running the money sport. No coach that is not desperate for a job should look at DePaul unless Ponsetto is gone.

a3uge

There's two reasons why Bryce to DePaul isn't happening ever:

1. Bryce Drew isn't stupid. He's not diving into that dumpster fire.
2. DePaul isn't smart enough. They'll hire some old has-been that'll keep that program a dumpster fire.

valpotx

I have said it for a few years now, that it will be a true test if TCU's HC job opens.  It would get him into a strong recruiting market of DFW, near his brother Scott in Waco, is a religious institution with a large endowment/athletic $ support, and would allow Homer/his wife to move down to be close to grandchildren.

I am not worried about DePaul taking Bryce, just like I wasn't worried with Mississippi State, Tulsa, or Northwestern.

It would be devastating to our program, as I could also see AP and Smits following him.
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on March 14, 2015, 11:41:37 PMI have said it for a few years now, that it will be a true test if TCU's HC job opens.  It would get him into a strong recruiting market of DFW, near his brother Scott in Waco, is a religious institution with a large endowment/athletic $ support, and would allow Homer/his wife to move down to be close to grandchildren.
I got a better idea. Since Scott is overdue for a new atmosphere and a fresh challenge, why doesn't he undertake his second mission impossible and return DePaul basketball to its proper status? I would think there would be a limit to how much Texas any hoosier boy could endure.  ;)

usc4valpo

Agreed. DePaul's AD, Jean Lenti Ponsetto,  was hired through nepotism and her accomplishments in Title IX. She has no clue in manager a "big-time" basketball and is killing the DePaul basketball program. The way DePaul handles their basketball program, they should drop to the Valley or some other conference.

covufan

Quote from: valpopal on March 14, 2015, 06:20:48 PM
As expected, Oliver Purnell has resigned at DePaul and various reports suggest Bryce is considered a candidate on the short list: http://highschoolcubenews.com/2015/03/14/henricksen-hey-depaul-put-red-blue-bryce-drew/
After Bryce's first year, I could have seen this happening.  I think he knows that he is on the verge of developing something special here at Valpo.  I believe it would take more than DePaul to lure Bryce away from Valpo. 

LaPorteAveApostle

Not to mention Bryce leaving now for any school crappy/desperate (how about descraperate?) to be looking already... would be like walking out in the middle of shooting The Two Towers to make the next Police Academy.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu84v2

TCU is not changing coaches anytime soon unless Trent Johnson were to decide to leave. That program has made major improvements and had a good season despite playing their home games away from campus in a high school gym (new stadium being built).

Now Texas will be looking for a new coach if they lose to Butler, but I don't see them going for someone like Bryce.

valpotx

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 15, 2015, 10:00:12 PM
TCU is not changing coaches anytime soon unless Trent Johnson were to decide to leave. That program has made major improvements and had a good season despite playing their home games away from campus in a high school gym (new stadium being built).

Now Texas will be looking for a new coach if they lose to Butler, but I don't see them going for someone like Bryce.

TCU's season was very misleading, as you need to look at their non-conference schedule before being impressed by their 13-0 record.  Yes, they have done better under Johnson, but if they played any type of real non-conference schedule, their record would have been terrible.  I thought that it was hilarious that they were ranked #24 or #25 at one point.  Again, this is my MBA alma mater, so I am just being honest after watching several games.  Valpo would own TCU, and I would love for that to happen one day to have bragging rights on my friends that played for TCU in various sports :).
"Don't mess with Texas"

bbtds

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 15, 2015, 10:00:12 PM

Are you telling me that a major conference program played their home games in a high school gym? Don't tell BigDWSU! He'll have a stroke!

valporun

bbtds, yes TCU played their home games in a high school gym this season because they're doing major renovations to their arena, so games couldn't be played on campus this year.