• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Selection Sunday Discussion 2015

Started by historyman, March 11, 2015, 02:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which site should we use?

Yahoo
5 (22.7%)
CBS Sports
13 (59.1%)
Other
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

mj

Just ordered tickets from the athletics departments. Driving from DC on Thursday night. Let's go Valpo!!!
I believe that we will win.

classof2014

Who cares about how Oakland scheduled now? Who cares what happened in the regular season?

We made it to where we want to be. I think this is a better matchup than playing as a 12 against UNI. We are in a terrific location, it isn't a home game for Maryland, fans can drive to the game and a student bus I'm sure will make the 5 hour journey as well. This Maryland team is as inexperienced as we are in the NCAAs. They are somewhat similar offensively to Green Bay, the like to drive into the lane to score, that's the strength of our defense. They don't have a great 5 like MSU did 2 years ago. Yes, there are better matchups, perhaps if Oakland plays a more reasonable schedule we get a better matchup.

We took care of business, we did our part. We have a winnable game in the NCAA tournament. I like the matchup. This team has had a terrific season up to now, and the only place to go is up.

Who gives a crap about Oakland? We have a reasonable chance to do something a Valpo team hasn't done in nearly 20 years. This is arguably the best matchup since 98 with a reasonable path to the Sweet 16 as well.

Go VALPO!!

Kyle321n

So I wanted to let this simmer for a little bit before I made a post. And list form might be the best way to do this...

• I'm really ticked about Wyoming over us, even if it is for geography. Not that I'd prefer to play UNI, but it still stings.
  • How does Colorado St. not make the tourney. UCLA is a joke of a team and I hope they lose by 30.
  • The Indiana Bracket? The round of 32 is going to have 8 teams who are located in the Midwest or play in a conference HQ'd in the Midwest. Who were the ad wizards who came up with that one?
  • We could have done a lot worse than Maryland. Sure I'd prefer Arkansas or West Virginia, but Utah and UNI are a big PASS and all the other 4 seeds? It's a who's who or coach with GT3, Pitino and Williams. That's too many final 4 appearances.

I'll break down the actual game in that thread, but suffice to say, this is a ton better than a Michigan State team that looked primed for a final 4 run and we were just a stepping stone.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

FWalum

Originally pretty disappointed with the 13 seed versus Maryland. It seems pretty obvious that the selection committee puts aside things like RPI for their "eye test" which is the veiled term for SOS. Andy Katz asked selection committee chair Scott Barnes by what measure UCLA and Indiana made the field and he used the "eye test". This tweet and the replies say it all. [tweet]577267227281461248[/tweet]

After settling down and really thinking about this match up a little, it appears that this may not be a terrible draw for us.  Maryland is a guard oriented team and we have been saying for years that the HL is a guard oriented league and we have been pretty good at defending the guard position. I think we can hold our own at the 3,4 and 5 positions. My main concern is that Tremble and Wells are going to drive and get to the line a bunch.  Tremble has lived at the line and can knock them down at a Felder like pace.  I fear they will get all of the calls and the foul discrepancy will be huge.  If the major conference bias does not raise its ugly head, then this game could be close.

This interview is also interesting.
[tweet]577476044644548608[/tweet]
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Tickets were $50 when I first called and then increased to $100 when I called back. Weird. Got on some list for 5 tickets and they'll call back when they can confirm availability.

FWalum

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 16, 2015, 10:31:18 AM
So I wanted to let this simmer for a little bit before I made a post. And list form might be the best way to do this...

• I'm really ticked about Wyoming over us, even if it is for geography. Not that I'd prefer to play UNI, but it still stings.
  • How does Colorado St. not make the tourney. UCLA is a joke of a team and I hope they lose by 30.
  • The Indiana Bracket? The round of 32 is going to have 8 teams who are located in the Midwest or play in a conference HQ'd in the Midwest. Who were the ad wizards who came up with that one?
  • We could have done a lot worse than Maryland. Sure I'd prefer Arkansas or West Virginia, but Utah and UNI are a big PASS and all the other 4 seeds? It's a who's who or coach with GT3, Pitino and Williams. That's too many final 4 appearances.

I'll break down the actual game in that thread, but suffice to say, this is a ton better than a Michigan State team that looked primed for a final 4 run and we were just a stepping stone.

• I agree, really ticks me off after all the emphasis on RPI that we are 22 points better than them and we are 4 slots lower on the seed list?? I guess everyone loves Larry Nance Jr. because they say that in every interview.
  • Everyone of the final four out are 10 times more deserving than UCLA!!!! If they are using the "eye test" then Mr. Magoo must be on the selection committee.
  • CRAZY, add to that list Dayton playing a home game.
  • Yes it is great that we are playing in Columbus and the Maryland draw appears to be decent as far as the match ups.  Make no mistake, I would rather play a team for which the name and tradition will not possibly create some bias.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

classof2014

Saw this article about Valpo in the News Setinel from Fort Wayne and one paragraph really stood out to me about the program and how strong it has been for the past 20 or so seasons:

QuoteAnd he wouldn't mind ruining a few more brackets this year, either, when the Crusaders play Maryland on Friday (4:40 p.m.) at Columbus, Ohio. While many of those mid-major powers have held on for a two- or three-year run and then disappeared (hello George Mason, Princeton and Florida Gulf Coast), Valpo is still around and still dangerous.

We may not be very successful in the tournament, the fact that we are able to consistently get there says something about the program. Not many programs can say they've been to the tournament 9 times in the past 20 seasons, let alone a small mid-major program like Valpo.

FWalum

Quote from: classof2014 on March 16, 2015, 11:50:38 AM
Saw this article about Valpo in the News Setinel from Fort Wayne and one paragraph really stood out to me about the program and how strong it has been for the past 20 or so seasons:

QuoteAnd he wouldn't mind ruining a few more brackets this year, either, when the Crusaders play Maryland on Friday (4:40 p.m.) at Columbus, Ohio. While many of those mid-major powers have held on for a two- or three-year run and then disappeared (hello George Mason, Princeton and Florida Gulf Coast), Valpo is still around and still dangerous.

We may not be very successful in the tournament, the fact that we are able to consistently get there says something about the program. Not many programs can say they've been to the tournament 9 times in the past 20 seasons, let alone a small mid-major program like Valpo.
Wow, a Fort Wayne paper actually had something about Valpo... I'll have to check that out.

Valpo89

Quote from: FWalum on March 16, 2015, 11:53:39 AM
Wow, a Fort Wayne paper actually had something about Valpo... I'll have to check that out.

I'll bet it wasn't Ben Smith.

valpo64

valpo64

valpo64

bbtds

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

historyman

Quote from: FWalum on March 16, 2015, 10:35:03 AMOriginally pretty disappointed with the 13 seed versus Maryland. It seems pretty obvious that the selection committee puts aside things like RPI for their "eye test" which is the veiled term for SOS. Andy Katz asked selection committee chair Scott Barnes by what measure UCLA and Indiana made the field and he used the "eye test". This tweet and the replies say it all. [tweet]577267227281461248[/tweet] After settling down and really thinking about this match up a little, it appears that this may not be a terrible draw for us.  Maryland is a guard oriented team and we have been saying for years that the HL is a guard oriented league and we have been pretty good at defending the guard position. I think we can hold our own at the 3,4 and 5 positions. My main concern is that Tremble and Wells are going to drive and get to the line a bunch.  Tremble has lived at the line and can knock them down at a Felder like pace.  I fear they will get all of the calls and the foul discrepancy will be huge.  If the major conference bias does not raise its ugly head, then this game could be close. This interview is also interesting. [tweet]577476044644548608[/tweet]

Here is Scott Barnes's optometrist's  eye chart:

U   
        C L
          A
            I N D
       I A N A
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann