• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

(13) Valpo vs. (4) Maryland NCAA 'Second' Rd Fri 3/20 4:40 PM EDT TNT

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, March 15, 2015, 10:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaPorteAveApostle

Good point.  We have to keep them off the line.  They don't miss much, and Vashil in foul trouble...that would not be fun.

I feel really good about this for some reason.  Maybe it's colored by the fact that my first-born son is on the way, but I think this is happening.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Quote from: vu72 on March 16, 2015, 08:36:23 PM
As I read all the stuff and see a little video on Maryland I'm thinking back to 2013 and what they lacked against a BIG opponent. To me, our biggest difference is in our guards.  Erik was very quick, but slight. Dority was strong but short.  Bogan was a good shooter but slow. I could go on.  We were undersized, relatively slow and lacked muscle.

Enter this years team.  Just looking at guys like T and D Walker and you see both speed and muscle.  Much more BIG like.  Then throw in a freak guard like T and a speedy sure handed Keith and we have the personnel at the guard spots to compete.

As others have said, the key to a win will be Alec and Vashil, as well as Jabril and David.  If they can control the boards and make some shots we can definitely be in this game.

To be fair, Buggs gave Michigan State fits all game and really attacked Michigan State. Payne and Nix destroyed us down low and Rowdy couldn't shoot.

I still worry about our ability to score enough points, as Maryland will get theirs and probably score some in transition with their athletic guards. Alec will need to hit the shots he wasn't hitting in the championship game. Maryland's not going to go 13 minutes with only 1 FG. Darmyian Walker may also need to be at the top of his game to provide relief for Alec. I can see Maryland blowing us out and reading annoying posts on how we can't beat power conference schools and whining that we're not Butler. But I can also see someone stepping up and having a great game to give an inexperienced and already disappointed and possibly unfocused Maryland fits.

drewsaders11

Quote from: a3uge on March 16, 2015, 09:22:08 PM
As I read all the stuff and see a little video on Maryland I'm thinking back to 2013 and what they lacked against a BIG opponent. To me, our biggest difference is in our guards.  Erik was very quick, but slight. Dority was strong but short.  Bogan was a good shooter but slow. I could go on.  We were undersized, relatively slow and lacked muscle.

Enter this years team.  Just looking at guys like T and D Walker and you see both speed and muscle.  Much more BIG like.  Then throw in a freak guard like T and a speedy sure handed Keith and we have the personnel at the guard spots to compete.

As others have said, the key to a win will be Alec and Vashil, as well as Jabril and David.  If they can control the boards and make some shots we can definitely be in this game.

To be fair, Buggs gave Michigan State fits all game and really attacked Michigan State. Payne and Nix destroyed us down low and Rowdy couldn't shoot.

I still worry about our ability to score enough points, as Maryland will get theirs and probably score some in transition with their athletic guards. Alec will need to hit the shots he wasn't hitting in the championship game. Maryland's not going to go 13 minutes with only 1 FG. Darmyian Walker may also need to be at the top of his game to provide relief for Alec. I can see Maryland blowing us out and reading annoying posts on how we can't beat power conference schools and whining that we're not Butler. But I can also see someone stepping up and having a great game to give an inexperienced and already disappointed and possibly unfocused Maryland fits.

Delanie*

classof2014

Valpo should hold the rebounding edge, Maryland isn't very good on either glass, while Valpo had one of the best rebounding margins in the country. If we can get second chance buckets and buckets in transition that will help us greatly.

As others have mentioned, Alec can't go 3-13, I think he knows that. He's incredibly smart, if the shot isn't there, there are usually better options. I would love to see a 30ish point performance but more realistically going 5-9 for 15-20 points would be fantastic as well. I don't want anybody to adjust their style of game, if that happened I guarantee a loss. Play our game and we'll keep it close and can pull off the upset.

As far as matchups go, this isn't a bad one. Maryland isn't all that big, they don't force turnovers, aren't great on the glass, not a big 3-point shooting team, don't have a standout post player, and their star player is a guard. This is a tough game, this is a good measuring stick to see how good this team really is. Knock off Maryland, then this team is a top 25 team.

This game has upset written all over it. 

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 16, 2015, 08:13:19 PMIt doesn't need to be a "freshman year vs. Evansville" kind of game, just solid.

There sure was a fire in Alec's eye in the second half that night at the Ford Center in Evansville.

Alec probably has had quite a few "come to Jesus" moments in his life already. He could use the "time to enter the promised land" speech now! Yes, even Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a fine animal and was praised by the multitudes. 

truth219

Talkin' Daniel in the den of the lions 
Talkin' Jonah in the belly of a whale 
Talkin' three Hebrew children 
And they're standing in a furnace, fiery furnace 
But the fire didn't burn them, and the lions didn't bite 
And the Lord reached down and you can be sure that 
Everything turned out right 
Oh you'll meet the Lord in the furnace 
A long time before you meet Him in the sky 

And where you are ain't where you wish that you was 
Well your life ain't easy and the road is rough 
But where you are is where He promised to be 
From the ends of the world to every point of need

You gotta have faith my friends

a3uge

Quote from: truth219 on March 17, 2015, 06:31:43 AM
Talkin' Daniel in the den of the lions
Talkin' Jonah in the belly of a whale
Talkin' three Hebrew children
And they're standing in a furnace, fiery furnace
But the fire didn't burn them, and the lions didn't bite
And the Lord reached down and you can be sure that
Everything turned out right
Oh you'll meet the Lord in the furnace
A long time before you meet Him in the sky

And where you are ain't where you wish that you was
Well your life ain't easy and the road is rough
But where you are is where He promised to be
From the ends of the world to every point of need

You gotta have faith my friends

Oh but I
Need some time off
From that emotion
Time to pick my heart up off the floor

Oh, and that love comes down
Without devotion
Well it takes a strong man baby
But I'm showing you the door

usc4valpo

March is a month without mercy for rabid basketball fans. There is no such thing as a 'gentleman gambler' when the Big Dance rolls around. All sheep will be fleeced, all fools will be punished severely... There are no Rules when the deal goes down in the final weeks of March. Even your good friends will turn into monsters.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

BrownTown

I hope Bryce uses the 5-on-6 tactic Homer used in practices.  Homer started using that drill following the Arizona year in order to handle quickness.  It definitely helped in the following years.  If the team is rotating 5-on-6 in practice and are able to spread the floor a bit, it will bode well against the bigger programs.

classof2014

This game is a big measuring stick for the league. If Valpo can compete with Maryland and hold a guy like Trimble to a subpar game, then the HL is better than what people may think. Is Sykes really a star player, if Trimble struggles against Valpo, I'll have to say yes but if Trimble has a terrific game and is difficult for us to stop than Sykes may just be a star mid-major player who would get eaten alive if he were in the B1G. How good is Valpo defensively? Hold Maryland under 60, then I'd have to see we're great defensively, hold them to under 70 we're pretty good.

This is an incredibly interesting game not just for the Crusaders but for the Horizon League as a whole. I'm hoping the game is still undecided with 5 minutes to go. Compete with these guys and not have it be decided by half.

This is the HL's best chance at winning a game in the tournament in quite a while. Since the 10/11 season. Hopefully we can make some cash for the Horizon!

agibson

Quote from: classof2014 on March 17, 2015, 09:33:53 AMThis is an incredibly interesting game not just for the Crusaders but for the Horizon League as a whole. I'm hoping the game is still undecided with 5 minutes to go. Compete with these guys and not have it be decided by half.

Thinking back to hazy Mid-Con memories.  Didn't we _usually_ compete for a while?  Were the games really over already at half time?

Seems like it was the second half where the big dogs tended to build a lead and put us away.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on March 17, 2015, 09:54:55 AM
Quote from: classof2014 on March 17, 2015, 09:33:53 AMThis is an incredibly interesting game not just for the Crusaders but for the Horizon League as a whole. I'm hoping the game is still undecided with 5 minutes to go. Compete with these guys and not have it be decided by half.

Thinking back to hazy Mid-Con memories.  Didn't we _usually_ compete for a while?  Were the games really over already at half time?

Seems like it was the second half where the big dogs tended to build a lead and put us away.

Goal: Nick Davidson doesn't play at all.

classof2014

Perhaps Chadwick and Davidson see the floor because we're up by 22 with 3 minutes to go?  ;D

Kyle321n

I was literally posting "New Goal: Davidson plays the final 5 minutes because we're up by 25"
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu72

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 16, 2015, 08:13:19 PM
There are obviously multiple keys to the game, but one keeps coming back to mind.

It's time for Peters to be the horse we know he can be, to show the country.  If he's going to get some of the press and attention of Doug McDermott, it starts Friday evening.  He has a good matchup in Layman, even if they won't always be on one another.

It doesn't need to be a "freshman year vs. Evansville" kind of game, just solid.  Your winners have to win their match ups and lead the way.

Trying to find comparables from the Horizon is difficult.  Layman mat be similar to Anton Grady(6'8" 225).  Trimble maybe to Trey Lewis (similar size) and Dez Wells to Juwan Howard or maybe Paris Bass? Trimble is only 175 lbs.  Layman only goes 205 and Wells at 215.  Clearly these guys are not the typical BIG muscular type guys but rather great shooters and extremely quick. 

The other two starters against Michigan State were Pack at 6'3", 185 and Dodd at 6'9" 240.  Overall we could match up--actually be bigger then the Terps which certainly was not the case against Michigan State two years ago. 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

agibson

There was a piece in the NY Times yesterday about height, KY's height, and height if anything being _under_ appreciated in college basketball.

It listed Maryland as one of the other really tall teams in the tournament.  I guess I'm not seeing it?

I think they were using Ken Pom's effective height (comparing height by position?) as one metric.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on March 17, 2015, 10:22:25 AM
There was a piece in the NY Times yesterday about height, KY's height, and height if anything being _under_ appreciated in college basketball.

It listed Maryland as one of the other really tall teams in the tournament.  I guess I'm not seeing it?

I think they were using Ken Pom's effective height (comparing height by position?) as one metric.

They do have seven guys 6'9" or taller.  However most aren't part of their regular rotation.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

covufan

I think we have a real shot at Maryland.  This is a good matchup for us, if we play well. We all know too well our history of playing teams from the bigger conferences, but this is not the same team as in Nov/early Dec.  I don't think Alec needs to have a great game, just an efficient one - 20 points on 12 shots kind of game.  Everyone will need to find 5-10 minutes where they are at their best, especially when others are a little down or forcing shots.  Our advantage is our rebounding - keep them off the offensive boards and get a couple of extra offensive boards ourselves.  We need to be even in TOs and Fouls.  If the game gets into the 70s, we could be in trouble.  I think we need to keep the game in the mid 60s, and we need to be efficient with our possessions. 

The thing that scares me about this team is their ability to win close games.  If we build a lead, we need to keep it.

Valpo  67
UMd    63

Kyle321n

Their average height is 78.6".

Quote from: vu72 on March 17, 2015, 10:24:14 AM
Quote from: agibson on March 17, 2015, 10:22:25 AM

They do have seven guys 6'9" or taller.  However most aren't part of their regular rotation.

What would you consider part of a regular rotation? I think if you get 10-12 minutes a game and play every game I'd say you're part of the rotation. That leaves an 8 man rotation that averages 79" tall (6'7"). I would say that's pretty tall. It's not like it's all one guy (tho Damonte Dodd, 7'1" doesn't hurt with 14.8 mpg in the last 10) since they have 5 guys who are 79" or taller in this rotation.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

classof2014

If I counted correctly we were 11-3 in games decided by 2 or fewer possessions at the end of regulation.

Both teams did a fantastic job winning close games. There's a reason why both teams won 27 and 28 games. They're both good. Good teams win close games.

vu72

Maryland fans are dismissing us fairly easily.  Interestingly enough, they point to their lone opponent who we also played--Oakland.  They won that game at THEIR place, by 16, but were only up 6 with 6 left in the first half and actually were outscored in the second by 2.  Oakland shot 8 free throws and Maryland 16.  Can you say.."home cookin"??

Oakland out rebounded them 35-32.

I'm feeling better about our chances.

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 17, 2015, 10:41:12 AMWhat would you consider part of a regular rotation? I think if you get 10-12 minutes a game and play every game I'd say you're part of the rotation. That leaves an 8 man rotation that averages 79" tall (6'7"). I would say that's pretty tall. It's not like it's all one guy (tho Damonte Dodd, 7'1" doesn't hurt with 14.8 mpg in the last 10) since they have 5 guys who are 79" or taller in this rotation.

Fair enough.  I should have said that overall they aren't any bigger then us.  We will be 4 inches taller in the staritng lineup and while they used four guys off the bench in their last game, they averaged 9 minutes per guy.  Those guys, 6'9", 6'6", 7' amd 6'4", matchup pretty well with our three off the bench in Jubril at 6'7", Skara at 6'8" and Keith at 6'1" I'm not concerned about being out rebounded by these guys.

a3uge

Quote from: vu72 on March 17, 2015, 11:49:39 AM
Maryland fans are dismissing us fairly easily.

I love the "it'll never happen to us" attitude fans of big schools have. Its like they've never watched the tournament before.

Edit: actually on their board most people think it'll be a close game, and some wouldn't be surprised by a loss. They seem to be concerned with our length. They seem pretty reasonable. Much better than that weird Michigan State board.

SanityLost17

Anybody know what referee crew will be working the game?   

As with any basketball game, how close the game is called will make a difference.  Since they like to get the the line, I think we are going to want a "let them play" type of game. 

valpo04

Quote from: a3uge on March 17, 2015, 11:59:09 AM

Quote from: vu72 on March 17, 2015, 11:49:39 AM
Maryland fans are dismissing us fairly easily.

I love the "it'll never happen to us" attitude fans of big schools have. Its like they've never watched the tournament before.

Edit: actually on their board most people think it'll be a close game, and some wouldn't be surprised by a loss. They seem to be concerned with our length. They seem pretty reasonable. Much better than that weird Michigan State board.

Count this UMD fan as one that thinks we have a real shot.

I jokingly told my family that we would be matched up with Maryland last week and more than one family member said that we would upset them. Maryland isn't terribly impressive and can be down right frustrating for letting inferior teams stick around instead of putting them away.