• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

whats to come next

Started by truth219, March 22, 2015, 12:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truth219

There are several things that are on my mind after our loss on Friday. I could post in every topic but I figured I would just start a new. There are many questions that will get answered in the next month or so. Will Bryce stay? Who will leave? Who will start next fall?

Personally, I believe that Bryce will stay at valpo. He has a lot going for him here. Even if the arc is a bit behind on the times. Its a cool place to play. He isn't getting rich at valpo but its home. He has one hell of a team returning. If he goes he goes and we move on but I think he will stick around.

I could see Max transfer. He just wont get the playing time he deserves..well at least not what he is capable of elsewhere. We have a good amount of very talented guards.

The tricky question is who will be our starters next fall? I personally don't put stock in any of the true freshman coming in. I bet the kid from Portugal will be more developed than smitts. That's just a hunch I have. He probably gets to play with other big bruisers. Smitts still looks skinny and needs to eat cheeseburgers and do some dead lifting. He should come out to PNC and tend some masons with me this summer. That will for sure put some mass on...and make him a tough sob. If you can put up with bricklayers and the laboring..your a man in my book. In our final game Vashil looked out of place. He did a hell of a job during the regular season and horizon league tournament, but against a big 10 team he looked over matched and sloppy. Jubril looked like he was hangin and bangin. I was very happy with the way Jubril played. He was clutch in the championship and looked comfortable against the big boys from Maryland.

My starting 5 for next season isn't set in stone but comes down to this Carter\Lexus...will lexus be the same player. Has carter earned his striped..I was disappointed the way he handled the last possession of the game. there were other players open and he went into the corner. Sure you can say he got fouled but in my opinion it he shouldn't have had the ball. Lexus comes back the same player and 100 % he gets the job

The walkers are going to be at the 2 spot. I don't know who will earn it but I don't see both of them starting.

E victor aka magic man (I gave him that nickname) and peters will be at the 3 spot

Hammink or peters will be at the 4. I do not know how well Hammink will fit in right off the bat but do believe he will get a good amount of mins.

Jubril will be our starting center...hes not very tall but he is without a doubt the strongest guy in a valpo jersey. He has some good post moves already and I have a feeling he will develop even more over the summer.

my starting 5
lexus
tevonn
magic man
peters
jubri

historyman

Quote from: truth219 on March 22, 2015, 12:39:55 PM

It won't be handed to them. Every award/trophy in the HL must be earned with the dedication and hard work the 2014-15 team put in to get to the tournament. Yes, Valpo 2015-16 will be the favorite but they got to earn it.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

truth219

So true, but with the talent and coaches I believe we will be the very best team. Valpo will be nationally know next season.

truth219

Magic man called me during the 2nd half vs maryland and told me so

historyman

Quote from: truth219 on March 22, 2015, 12:52:08 PMSo true, but with the talent and coaches I believe we will be the very best team. Valpo will be nationally know next season.

Unfortunately once Maryland is out of the tournament much of the media will forget the second round (first round in some people's minds) and Valpo will not be any better known then they are now which is fairly well known due to Bryce-Jenkins-Sykes.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

truth219

I wasn't referring to our game in the 2nd round. Next season we will beat power 5 teams. I can feel it. Granted we get the opportunity. 

a3uge

Take starting lineups with a grain of salt. They typically don't match minutes distribution and are made with player emotions in mind. Carter wasn't starting at the end, but played more than any guard. Darian typically is the first out, and EVN doesn't play as much as Carter, Tevonn, and Damien.

I predict the season starts with something like this:

Carter
Darrein Walker
Tevonn
Peters
Jubril

and ends with

EVN
Carter
Tevonn
Peters
Smits

There's no way Lexus starts over 3 seniors with the success we had defensively this year. I can see EVN coming off the bench to begin the year. D Walker might start again but will lose minutes as the year goes on to Hammink. Skaras minutes might go down a bit, but he'll still be in the rotation. Relvao will probably struggle to find minutes this year.

usc4valpo

Holy early speculation Batman!

truth219

bbtds

truth219

If our coach leaves I might get scurvy

atkins

What I'd like to see next:  Everyone shooting 20,000 free throws for practice.  Can't win against great teams by demonstrating abysmal FT shooting.  That's self-evident.

truth219

Knowing everyone will return will give me....peace of mind

valpopal

Quote from: truth219 on March 22, 2015, 07:44:29 PM
Knowing everyone will return will give me....peace of mind

[tweet]579808830378369025[/tweet]

[tweet]579809353160605696[/tweet]

bbtds

valpotx

Max Joseph just needs to focus on his JR and SR years, as there will be plenty of playing time available for him then.  He won't get to play a lot his SO year (RS him?), but with Keith, Darien, and E Vic leaving after next season, there are a lot of minutes available at the guard spots.  If he transfers, he has to sit out a year anyways, so he might as well get better and challenge for a spot, planning to be a starter his JR/SR season.  That kid has a lot of potential.  Once he got into some good minutes, he seemed very composed.  He isn't a scorer, but a facilitator, so he will need to work on his shot a bit at the college level. 

I could see Davidson transferring, if he isn't happy with being the 'end of game guy,' but he generally seems to enjoy playing at Valpo.  Anyone else see the Vine that went around after E did the phone thing?  It is hilarious seeing Davidson's reaction compared to Godzilla lol.

We will undoubtedly have someone transfer, as it has happened every year since 2003, but we will be fine.  Everyone that played minutes in our NCAA tourney game should be back, since they have that feeling of needing to finish the task.  My hope is that someone like Skara hangs in there, with Hammink coming into the mix.  If Hammink truly was going to be a starter for us based on his talent, Skara's minutes get affected quite a bit.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpocleveland

I know one thing, our free throw percentage has improved to over 70% already without any work in the gym. This is not a knock on Fernandez as his contributions on defense will be hard to replace but his 50% FT percentage really brought down the average.

valpopal

Bryce looks ahead with Osipoff:

"One of the neat things about this team, we feel that everybody can really improve. We haven't hit a point where anybody's progression has slowed. Even the seniors, injuries haven't given them a chance to train like they could if they were healthy. But now E. Victor (Nickerson) and Keith (Carter) are healthy, and they can make another jump this summer."

Lexus Williams' fractured left kneecap has healed, and he's getting closer to a return from his torn ACL. Incoming freshman Derrik Smits is scheduled to arrive on campus for the second summer session, with Daniel Relvao's timetable uncertain because of his commitment with Portugal's national team.

Drew is expected to leave on Thursday for the Final Four and various meetings, then hit the recruiting trail for the April AAU season and contact period. The Crusaders are also "working hard to try to put together a challenging nonconference schedule" for next season...."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/sports/ct-ptb-mens-basketball-valparaiso-bryce-drew-st-0331-20150330-story.html

IndyValpo

Quote from: bbtds on March 22, 2015, 03:12:08 PM
Quote from: truth219 on March 22, 2015, 01:55:00 PM
Don't look back-boston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VPLOVJ0u94&list=RD3VPLOVJ0u94#t=7
Speaking of Boston, they are actually playing in central Indiana this year (August 7, Hoosier Park, Anderson). I can not remember the last time they were in the Indy area if ever.