• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2016

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, July 16, 2014, 01:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle321n

If we could get him that'd feel like a steal. The kid has some crazy athleticism.

! No longer available
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

FWalum

Quote from: zvillehaze on August 26, 2015, 10:53:48 AM

Valpo is mentioned as having interest in Kieran Hayward, a 2016 guard from Australia.

http://ausahoops.com/kieran-hayward-proves-hes-the-real-deal/
Highlights seem to reinforce the things stated in the article.  Athletic, decent handles and a good shooter.  With the high major interest not sure he would look at a mid-major unless we do something very special this year.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

A note from Rowdy wouldn't hurt  ::)

a3uge

Australian Sam Decker

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Kyle321n

Quote from: FWalum on August 26, 2015, 11:08:38 AM
Highlights seem to reinforce the things stated in the article.  Athletic, decent handles and a good shooter.  With the high major interest not sure he would look at a mid-major unless we do something very special this year.

Especially since immediate playing time isn't something we can offer right away. He'd come in to a team with 3 junior guards (2 of which have started), a senior guard, a senior swingman and a junior swingman (a position he could play quite well). Frankly his freshman year would be spent playing a back up SG role with maybe 10-15 minutes available and then he'd possibly be able to start his sophomore year if we choose to go with 3 guards, Skara and Smits as the starters.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

historyman

Quote from: VULB#62 on July 22, 2015, 08:58:34 PMMe too. But in Drew we trust.      BTW that's a play on what they do in. New England with Belichick and the Pats. And that has produced 4 SBs.  Have faith that Drew and company know what they are doing,

I can't believe you somewhat equated what Valpo is doing to what the Patriots have done with 4 SBs. If anything the Patriot success is very dubious and Valpo's is not. I would not want my success to be associated in anyway with the Patriots success. Just my opinion.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

covufan

Gain one, lose one. 

We made an offer to Marcus Ottey:

http://verbalcommits.com/players/marcus-ottey

https://twitter.com/rodgerbohn/status/644563245148143616

But we lost 2017 recruit Kobe King to Wisconsin.

FWalum

Ball State chasing Carroll hoop star 'the hardest' 

Carroll's Kyle Mallers blocks a shot form Homestead's Tahj Curry in the third quarter at Marion during the IHSAA Class 4A Boy's Basketball Regional this past March. (News-Sentinel file photo by Ellie Bogue)
Ball State men's basketball coach James Whitford explains a drill to his players during a practice session at Worthen Arena in Muncie this summer. (News-Sentinel file photo by Tom Davis)
Kyle Mallers
••••
College decision for Mallers nearing
By Jonathan Batuello, nssports@news-sentinel.com
Sunday, October 04, 2015 11:53 PM

It's getting close for Kyle Mallers. The college decision is coming.

The Carroll High School senior has taken three official visits, including Ball State this past weekend, and said he will make his decision before the prep basketball season begins.

"I'll think about it a little bit more and then I'll probably sit down and look at the positives of each school and the negatives and try to put them in perspective," Mallers said. "I think it's definitely going to be before the basketball season and maybe in a couple weeks, maybe 10 days, not positive yet."

The Ball State visit this weekend was the third official visit for the Carroll wing player. Mallers had previously been to Evansville and Indiana State. He still may take an official visit to Valparaiso, too.

His decision is down to these four potential schools.

The trip to Muncie provided Mallers a chance to see the Cardinals program and head coach James Whitford up close. Ball State has been one of the most consistent programs to talk to Mallers about continuing his career there.

"Ball State has been the school that has recruited me the hardest and he (Whitford) said I was a top priority as far as recruits they are trying to bring in," Mallers said. "He's taking the program in the right direction. ... They are moving forward and have a bunch of good young players that will make their program better next year and in the years to come."

The Ball State visit was a good chance to see Whitford up close and another school in Indiana State also showed Mallers the benefits of a strong coaching staff. He said the Sycamores coaching staff and coach Greg Lansing are very appealing to potentially play for in the future.

"I really enjoy their (Indiana State's) coaches and they know what they are doing and they've been super respectful during this recruiting process," Mallers said. "I really like their situation and they said they have a spot for me right away as far as playing time."

The coaching staffs are important when it comes to his decision, but Mallers also has been sure to pay attention to his potential future teammates on the official visits. He knows they will become a big part of his life wherever he decides to attend.

"I look for a fit as far as in the locker room and with their guys and how I would fit in with their team because you spend so much time with them practicing and stuff," he said. "So, I look for playing with good people that would be good for me."

The coaches have told Mallers they see him as a potential wing player at their schools. They see him playing the small forward position and providing versatility with his skillset and ability to step outside and hit long jumpers.

"They are envisioning me as a wing or a three, and Ball State even said since I'm so versatile I could play a four (power forward) or a two (shooting guard); it doesn't really matter," Mallers said.

For now, though, Mallers is taking in what happened at Ball State as he preps to make his final decision.

"It went well (at Ball State), and I think all official visits are about the same as far as hanging out with the players and stuff, but I got to see a little of their team and how I'd fit in and with that aspect, and it went pretty well," he said.

My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

Maller has yet to be offered by Valpo, according to verbalcommits. So, while he may be Ball State's top prospect, he's behind all the players we've already offered and who knows who else. Add to that the fact that he wants to go where he can get immediate playing time plus wants to make his decision right now, and it sounds like there is little chance he will become a Crusader.

FWalum

Quote from: wh on October 06, 2015, 11:27:43 AM
Maller has yet to be offered by Valpo, according to verbalcommits. So, while he may be Ball State's top prospect, he's behind all the players we've already offered and who knows who else. Add to that the fact that he wants to go where he can get immediate playing time plus wants to make his decision right now, and it sounds like there is little chance he will become a Crusader.
Most probably true.  I just thought it was an interesting article on a guy who is local to me and since we lost Brachen Hazen it could possibly give me someone to watch this winter.

Pgmado

Zion Morgan is making his decision on Friday. Down to five schools. Valpo in the mix.

covufan

Quote from: Pgmado on October 07, 2015, 01:20:25 PM
Zion Morgan is making his decision on Friday. Down to five schools. Valpo in the mix.
From a tweet I saw it appears he'll be making decision at 4:30 today from his school. 

From verbal commits it appears that we are in the mix with UIC, Bradley, Loyola, DePaul and maybe Bowling Green and Western Michigan.  I'd like to think that Valpo offers as much as any of these schools. 

govalpogo

Welcome to our new guard: Zion Morgan!

covufan

Quote from: covufan on October 09, 2015, 03:11:04 PM
Quote from: Pgmado on October 07, 2015, 01:20:25 PM
From a tweet I saw it appears he'll be making decision at 4:30 today from his school. 

From verbal commits it appears that we are in the mix with UIC, Bradley, Loyola, DePaul and maybe Bowling Green and Western Michigan.  I'd like to think that Valpo offers as much as any of these schools. 

https://twitter.com/coachSPham

a3uge

Well, we got our first 2016 commit! Welcome Zion Morgan.

wh

Quote from: a3uge on October 09, 2015, 04:58:36 PM
Well, we got our first 2016 commit! Welcome Zion Morgan.

Great article from Preps Illinois:

Zion Morgan to Valpo
10/09/2015, 4:45pm CDT
By Scott Burgess
One of State's Top Wings Discusses Valparaiso Commitment

Top wings in the state of Illinois continue to fly off the board.  The latest is Kenwood 2016 shooting guard Zion Morgan who informed PrepHoopsIllinois he has given his commitment to attend Valparaiso on Friday.  Morgan broke down why Valpo was his choice with us.

"I really like how Valpo is an elite mid-major that is on the come up and Coach Bryce Drew feels I can be a key piece to the team as a freshman.  I want to be a part of something special and start and continue my own tradition.  Not follow in somebody else's footstep.  Coach Drew also believes in me and says that if I work hard and trust him I could be a future pro and I really respect him for that."

The athletic wing spoke about how his game will fit in with his new squad.

"I think my game fits perfectly at Valpo.  Screen and roll offense, high tempo on the court at all times, and full court defensive pressure."

Morgan talked about his relationship with the coaching staff.

"I look up to Coach Drew because he has been everywhere that I want to go.  I like his honesty and his passion for the game of basketball.  Coach Powell is also a great coach.  He's very energetic and teaches the game well."

Head Coach Bryce Drew and assistant coaches Roger Powell, Matt Lottich, and Luke Gore have done a tremendous job over the last few years building their program with Illinois talent which continues with the addition of Morgan.  The success that Valparaiso has had with multiple Illinois prep standouts on their roster in Keith Carter, Darien Walker, Lexus Williams, Jubril Adekoya, and Alec Peters is noticeable. Did seeing their success play a factor in his choice?

"I have a good relationship with those players, but what stood out to me the most about his recruiting is that he said he recruits kids that are diamonds in the rough.  He said he recruits kids that he feels the high major schools are missing out on.  I have a pretty good relationship with their whole team, but I'm the closest with Jubril, Lexus, Shane, and Keith."

Valpo also has an offer out to Morgan's teammate at Kenwood Nick Robinson.

"I wouldn't mind if Nick came with me.  I hope he makes the best decision for him just like I am.  I may have to recruit him though!"

Morgan is ready to prove from day one how good he can be at the college level.

"When I get to campus I just want to prove everybody wrong that ever doubted me.  Valpo was the perfect place for me to prove that."

The 6'4" shooting guard has long arms and a projectable frame.  When he is in attack mode he can be difficult to contain.  Morgan displays great handles and gets in the lane with ease slashing well to the hoop where he finishes at the rim.  Projects as a plus defender that can guard multiple positions.  He played with All-In/Young & Reckless 17U on the travel team circuit.  Morgan ranks as the #14 overall prospect in the class of 2016 and #5 shooting guard.

Next up for Morgan is a big senior campaign at Kenwood where he says he has something to prove and is going to be coming after everybody as he teams up with Robinson and highly touted junior post Manny Patterson to give them the core of a team that could make a deep run in March!

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

sliman

Thanks for the video link, vu72.  I noted that the video indicates he attends King High School.  Is he a recent transfer to Kenwood Academy?

chef

Last season was his first season at Kenwood after starting his high school career at King.

vufan75

Another Valpo offer made for 2016 per Verbal Commits. Reported as of 10/19/15, Valpo offered Nik Popovic, reportedly a 6-10 230 pound power forward. Looks like he has a few offers from high majors as well, so hoping he likes a smaller school like Valpo. Looks like he is from Florida.

http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/nik-popovic 

vufan7501

An offer was made today to Illinois PG Micah Bradford from Bradley Bourbonnais HS.
https://t.co/SKT44Vguuz

HC

Saw a tweet that the Palombizio kid was at the exhibition game. Apparently Drew plus two assistants were watching him the previous Friday night.

elephtheria47

Palombizio verballed to Oakland today